Books everyone Loves

pixey

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Jun 20 2006, 02:58 PM)
QUOTE (Mrs. Huck Rogers @ Jun 20 2006, 10:26 AM)
QUOTE (DonnaWanna @ Jun 20 2006, 04:25 PM)
The Bible

**keep ur comments to urself Plz
tyvFm  1287.gif

laugh.gif

i must concur

Burn in hell, both of you.

z7shysterical.gif z7shysterical.gif z7shysterical.gif z7shysterical.gif z7shysterical.gif z7shysterical.gif z7shysterical.gif z7shysterical.gif z7shysterical.gif

Muhahahahaha 1022.gif

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jun 20 2006, 03:24 PM)
the supposed "puzzles" irked to me to extremes, as i figured them out immediately and wanted to throw the book across the room for all their beating around the bush about the solutions. they're the kind of simple games that the smart kids did in math class in third grade. thanks, but i took cryptography classes in college and well, encyclopedia brown came to mind several times regarding the supposedly difficult puzzles in davinci.

I can appreciate the simpleness of the puzzles for someone like you (or Langdon), who took Cryptography. But for the rest of us Encyclopedia Browns, the answers weren't so easy.

Sure, if I knew I should be looking for anagrams, I may have figured out a couple. But I wasn't looking for anagrams, I was trying to figure out the riddles on their face. And I'd never heard of the Fibonacci Sequence as a smart third-grade math student, so that came as a suprise solution as well. (Gee... I may be blowing this for future readers.)

Not your cup of tea; fine. But some of us readers are both mentally astute AND surprised by the solutions.

Agreed here - I found it fun. Although I thought Angels and Demons was better.

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Jun 20 2006, 11:07 AM)
The Grapes o Wrath. Boring garbage.

Agreed!! I loved East of Eden, then picked up Grapes of Wrath assuming that it would also be great......classic novel and all. Didn't make it through. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v335/bastillenight/Smileys/22db5ffa.gif

Hmmm....

Since when was the Da Vinci Code regarded as a "classic"? confused13.gif

I always found Tomas hardys books excruciatingly dull, and I think i would rasther be dipped feet first in a vat of boiling oil than read Tess Of The D'urbervilles again

QUOTE (Fridge @ Jun 22 2006, 02:59 PM)
Hmmm....

Since when was the Da Vinci Code regarded as a "classic"? confused13.gif

Exactly.

The guy had some great ideas but when it comes to writing he's horrible.

The only reason the book was so popular IMO is that he brought up some interesting ideas/theories, nothing else.

QUOTE (pixey @ Jun 19 2006, 01:11 PM)
... very famous well loved book...

So what Books do you Hate that everyone else Loves?

since when did the topic or first post say anything about "classic" books? i see the words "well loved" and "famous"

http://67.18.37.15/1234/187/emo/rolleyes2.gif

ironic, in a thread about reading

QUOTE (feelingwithyourskin @ Jun 22 2006, 03:27 PM)
since when did the topic or first post say anything about "classic" books? i see the words "well loved" and "famous"

http://67.18.37.15/1234/187/emo/rolleyes2.gif

ironic, in a thread about reading

Actually, someone did mention the word "classics" earlier.

Besides, it could be argued that "Well Loved" and "famous" could meet the criteria for a book to be called "Classic"..........Or is that splitting hairs? wink.gif

when you bitch about my suggestions not following your strict definition? yes wink.gif

neither the original poster, nor the topic suggested this was limited to classics only. someone mentioning classics does not exclude non-classics. i named a book that fits quite well under the categories of well loved and famous.

I brought up the "classics" in one of my posts, and defended "DaVinci Code" in another, but the two never met.

QUOTE (Alien Girl @ Jun 22 2006, 02:25 PM)
^^^And never the twain shall meet. laugh.gif

Right! I was gonna say it that way, too!

(Or is it "never the dickens shall meet"?)

QUOTE (feelingwithyourskin @ Jun 22 2006, 07:18 PM)
when you bitch about my suggestions not following your strict definition? yes wink.gif

Easy Tiger biggrin.gif

You have a strange notion of "bitching".

I honestly don't care enough about this to "bitch" about it.

If I had been "bitching", then the content of my post would have been entirely different.

And I don't think I made any "strict definitions", I merely explained my thinking behind a previous post

Never mind.....

QUOTE (pixey @ Jun 19 2006, 01:11 PM)
I am going to get alot of slack, more in likely. But I just read a very famous well loved book and I thought it was boring, long winded and just plain difficult to endure. I pressed on but by the time I got to around page 800 I just began to skim to get to the good parts if there were any.

Lord Of The Rings!

I just couldnt do it! I lost interest early on, it was very slow moving, not alot of action, but most of all it was BORING.

So what Books do you Hate that everyone else Loves?

You made it to page 800? I couldnt make it past the first chapter!

Boringness.

I actually really wanted to read the series (Anyone know why? *Coughnecromancercough*), but I couldnt make it past chapter 1.

QUOTE (feelingwithyourskin @ Jun 22 2006, 09:59 PM)
sorry, i don't have a setting for "easy"

try a wussier model for that option

biggrin.gif

And if I was concerned enough to do so, I probably would.....

Aye,that Divinci Code thing-I read the last couple of pages in a shop(thought I'd save time and money)and in the last paragraph it says something like:"but I'll answer all these puzzles and questions in the sequel".Now that's what I call taking people for fools. msn_sheep.png

I read the last couple of pages in a shop(thought I'd save time and money)and in the last paragraph it says something like:"but I'll answer all these puzzles and questions in the sequel".

I don't know what kind of kooky copy of "DaVinci" they sell in Swanzy, but that paragraph never appeared in MY copy, and the story was entirely self-contained; it needs no sequel (though it likely will get one).

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jun 27 2006, 03:38 PM)
I read the last couple of pages in a shop(thought I'd save time and money)and in the last paragraph it says something like:"but I'll answer all these puzzles and questions in the sequel".

I don't know what kind of kooky copy of "DaVinci" they sell in Swanzy, but that paragraph never appeared in MY copy, and the story was entirely self-contained; it needs no sequel (though it likely will get one).

Ah yes."The Bible Code"I was thinking of.Came out about 8/9 years ago,the gist of it being all the historical events were foretold in The Book and by reading the letters in a certain sequence they would be discovered.

I don't usually read the last pages of books but I really didn't want to buy it.

QUOTE (DonnaWanna @ Jun 20 2006, 10:25 AM)
The Bible

**keep ur comments to urself Plz
tyvFm 1287.gif

I disagree. It's a great story. All epic and stuff. The characters may seem a bit contrived at times, but that Jesus dude is something else! Turning water into wine and all. He'd be great to have around.

Here's another vote for the Da Vinci code. REALLY dull book. The romance between the two leads was barely hinted at, and yet by the end of the book we're supposed to believe it. The history behind the book has been debunked by pretty much everybody. The novel contains no characters that interested me. It was a page turner, but only because you want it to be over. I doubt I'll ever read it again.