The Drug Years on VH1

rushgoober

Man, was this a killer documentary or what?

This was a 4-part documentary on the history of drugs in the U.S. that aired Monday through Thursday, though you know they'll be showing repeats of it into infinity.

Especially cool for the wife and I were the mid to late 60's psychedelic hippie scene. Yes the scene died and it was a time of irresponsibility that couldn't survive, but it was also a time of great innocence and beauty, at least IOHO (in our humble opinion). I'm all for another rennaissance of peace and togetherness, this time without the drugs.

Anyway, the whole thing was really cool and amazingly well done.

Edited by rushgoober

One recurring theme that was truly fascinating was how much the government played a role in the proliferation of certain drugs, followed by an attempt to stop the tide of them. They were both creating and trying to solve the problem, often at the same time. Edited by rushgoober

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 16 2006, 03:13 PM)

This was a 4-part documentary on the history of drugs in the U.S. that aired Monday through Thursday, though you know they'll be showing repeats of it into infinity.

Especially cool for the wife and I were the mid to late 60's psychedelic hippie scene. Yes the scene died and it was a time of irresponsibility that couldn't survive, but it was also a time of great innocence and beauty, at least IOHO (in our humble opinion). I'm all for another rennaissance of peace and togetherness, this time without the drugs.

I caught the second half of that last night - the psychedelic 60s episode. I agree with everything you said... including the bit about wanting another period like that, without the drugs.

But it just goes to show how important drugs were in the music we all love here, and take for granted. Without the pot and LSD, perhaps we'd still be listening to Jan & Dean crap. Compare Hendrix, the Dead, the Doors, and Jefferson Airplane to anything being played on POP radio at the time! (Or just use a single band as an example: compare the late psychedelic Beatles to the earlier Chuck Berry-like Beatles.) I prefer the drug-influenced stuff by far!

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jun 16 2006, 12:21 PM)

Especially cool for the wife and I were the mid to late 60's psychedelic hippie scene.  Yes the scene died and it was a time of irresponsibility that couldn't survive, but it was also a time of great innocence and beauty, at least IOHO (in our humble opinion).  I'm all for another rennaissance of peace and togetherness, this time without the drugs.

I caught the second half of that last night - the psychedelic 60s episode. I agree with everything you said... including the bit about wanting another period like that, without the drugs.

But it just goes to show how important drugs were in the music we all love here, and take for granted. Without the pot and LSD, perhaps we'd still be listening to Jan & Dean crap. Compare Hendrix, the Dead, the Doors, and Jefferson Airplane to anything being played on POP radio at the time! (Or just use a single band as an example: compare the late psychedelic Beatles to the earlier Chuck Berry-like Beatles.) I prefer the drug-influenced stuff by far!

yeah, it's kind of ironic, i'm not into drugs (anymore), but i LOVE drug-influenced music!

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 16 2006, 03:14 PM)
One recurring theme that was truly fascinating was how much the government played a role in the proliferation of certain drugs, followed by an attempt to stop the tide of them. They were both creating and trying the solve a problem, often at the same time.

It helps to keep law enforcement in demand biggrin.gif Ya know.... good for business....

I agree.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 16 2006, 01:13 PM)
Especially cool for the wife and I were the mid to late 60's psychedelic hippie scene.  Yes the scene died and it was a time of irresponsibility that couldn't survive, but it was also a time of great innocence and beauty, at least IOHO (in our humble opinion).  I'm all for another rennaissance of peace and togetherness, this time without the drugs.

Oh, but the scene did not die, and is now into four or five generations. Ever heard of the Rainbow Gathering? You'll soon be living in a major hub of the hippie circuit, my friends.

QUOTE (Grandpa Grizz @ Jun 16 2006, 02:35 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 16 2006, 01:13 PM)

Oh, but the scene did not die, and is now into four or five generations. Ever heard of the Rainbow Gathering? You'll soon be living in a major hub of the hippie circuit, my friends.

oh yeah, i've heard of rainbow gatherings for sure. i would go in a second if not for the prevelant drug use... sad.gif

the scene today is far more underground though then it was in the 60's, even if you (and soon i) are in an area where it's more all-pervasive.

i like your new avatar grizz. tongue.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 16 2006, 05:40 PM)
BTW, no offense meant for people into drugs, it's just not my scene anymore...

peace,
gary

I've never done drugs, but this thread made me curious and I decided to try some. Now I have 3 major addictions.

(shouting to wife) Baby, come back!!

laugh.gif

QUOTE (Schro @ Jun 16 2006, 10:29 PM)

peace,
gary

I've never done drugs, but this thread made me curious and I decided to try some. Now I have 3 major addictions.

laugh.gif

doh.gif

bncegrn.gif

seriously, i wouldn't be surprised if that documentary didn't make some people really curious about drugs who hadn't done them previously. hopefully they'll watch the whole thing though so they can see what it can do to some people long term beyond the initial rush and excitement of exploration and changing consciousness.

i wish i could remember the exact quote, but one of what to me was the most telling quotes in the whole thing was something like, "people were taking these drugs to have a life-changing spiritual experience, but one of the best ways to guarantee that WOUND'T happen was to keep doing them over and over and over again".

dam i wanted to see it but i was so high i passed out before it started.

laugh.gif

QUOTE (Schro @ Jun 17 2006, 01:29 AM)

peace,
gary

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

I watched about an hour and a half of this documentary, mostly the psychedelic part, as well. It was really, really interesting...I especially enjoyed the clips of various movies portraying the kids trying to convince their parents that smoking "grass" was no different than the parents' scotch and soda before dinner, or cigarette smoking. laugh.gif Plus, the clips from "Dragnet" were quite funny. I had no idea it was used as such an "anti-drug" vehicle. I can totally see how those ideas worked against stopping drugs...they made it look like way too much fun to get high.

Very entertaining program, for sure...

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 16 2006, 04:13 PM)

Cripes WTF i been? & how the hell did i miss this one??

ill have to see when its on gain,

Im sure VH1 will have on a few more times

cool10.gif

I saw the last two episodes of it, thought it was really good! Although I wasn't around in the sixty's, I can only imagine what the times were like. My mom and dad were both hippies, and I'm sure they had their fair share of 'fun'. And yes Rushgoober, another time like that would just be great. We especially need it during this day and age yes.gif