Replay CD - changes to the mix

cygnify

I just got through listening to the "bonus" CD from the replay set - it ROCKS! Based on my recollection of the original recordings (I've got the old VHS and various CD rips of that), I've noticed some changes to the overall mix. It doesn't surprise me that Alex made some changes, I just find it interesting what those changes might have been. I also wonder how he made some of these changes, as I'm not sure he had the individual tracks to work with (more likely working with a stereo master? Lots of EQ, some compression, etc.) Anyway, some changes that stood out to me:

1.) The Weapon - during the middle guitar solo, the synths are brought way down and it really highlights the guitar (which is kicking major ass at this point!) The synths on the original did seem overbearing at times, but I particularly recall them "covering" this solo. This appears to be remedied!

2.) New World Man - I believe the guitar has actually been brought down in the mix. I recall the original had alot of "pick noise" at the first verse and bridge. This seems to have gone away with the lower guitar mix.

3.) Distant Early Warning - The keyboards seem to have been significantly lowered from the original. I didn't recall them being so low - the guitar is just wailing out the main riff and you can bearly make out Keys in there.

and from the Best Buy bonus tracks:

1.) Limelight and CTTH from ESL sounded AWESOME! I can't wait to watch the video. These appear to have been significantly improved in the new mix! (at least over my 22 year old VHS!)

2.) Tom Sawyer from ASOH - at the very end, in the video, Alex breaks his strings and the last couple chords are severely out of tune. On this CD track, you can hear Al messing with the strings, but the final guitar chords are absent. A little clean up job!

Excellent post!! Thanks!! trink39.gif

QUOTE (cygnify @ Jun 13 2006, 10:34 AM)
I just got through listening to the "bonus" CD from the replay set - it ROCKS!  Based on my recollection of the original recordings (I've got the old VHS and various CD rips of that), I've noticed some changes to the overall mix.  It doesn't surprise me that Alex made some changes, I just find it interesting what those changes might have been.  I also wonder how he made some of these changes, as I'm not sure he had the individual tracks to work with (more likely working with a stereo master?  Lots of EQ, some compression, etc.)  Anyway, some changes that stood out to me:

1.) The Weapon - during the middle guitar solo, the synths are brought way down and it really highlights the guitar (which is kicking major ass at this point!)  The synths on the original did seem overbearing at times, but I particularly recall them "covering" this solo.  This appears to be remedied!

2.) New World Man - I believe the guitar has actually been brought down in the mix.  I recall the original had alot of "pick noise" at the first verse and bridge.  This seems to have gone away with the lower guitar mix.

3.) Distant Early Warning - The keyboards seem to have been significantly lowered from the original.  I didn't recall them being so low - the guitar is just wailing out the main riff and you can bearly make out Keys in there.

and from the Best Buy bonus tracks:

1.) Limelight and CTTH from ESL sounded AWESOME!  I can't wait to watch the video.  These appear to have been significantly improved in the new mix!  (at least over my 22 year old VHS!)

2.) Tom Sawyer from ASOH - at the very end, in the video, Alex breaks his strings and the last couple chords are severely out of tune.  On this CD track, you can hear Al messing with the strings, but the final guitar chords are absent.  A little clean up job!

They were working from the original concert tapes. From rush.com:

Each DVD features new 5.1 surround sound and stereo mixes created by guitarist Alex Lifeson and Mike Fraser from the original concert multi-tracks as well as digitally transferred and remastered visuals.

QUOTE (Grandpa Grizz @ Jun 13 2006, 01:20 PM)
They were working from the original concert tapes.  From rush.com:

Each DVD features new 5.1 surround sound and stereo mixes created by guitarist Alex Lifeson and Mike Fraser from the original concert multi-tracks as well as digitally transferred and remastered visuals.

Ahh, that explains how they could affect individual instruments in the mix.

It's strange how something like a mix can become so engrained in your memory that when there are changes it stands right out. Anyway, I like the result!

Can someone identify what "PCM" stands for and what the intent of mixing it in this format is supposed to be?

I find the PCM to be the fullest sounding of the mixes available. Loudest, too. Of course, I'm watching though a mono tv so I cannot really judge what it's supposed to sound like on a normal stereo tv.

Thanks in advance.

I have found that the 5.1 mix on the ESL disc really puts Geddy's voice up front. It sounds quite isolated this way. Again, mono tv so I suspect that's the reason. Not that I'm complaining, it sounds pretty cool that way too.

The GUP mix is really good. It's quite a noticable change to my ears.

The Keys during the solo of the Weapon were lower in the VHS version also. You are thinking of the actual studio release of Signals, in which the guitar can barely be heard over the overpowering synths.

Just got done watching GUP dvd after listening to the CD during the day.

I think the new mix is superb. Alex did a great job. It struck me while listening to the DVD how clear and pronounced each instrutment is, with an emphasis on Geddy's bass. His bass really stands out without it being too much.

It's been years and years since I watched the old VHS tapes of these shows, but I don't remember the mix being so great, so obviously, Al did some fantastic work.

I can't wait to watch the others. Well done, Lerxst trink39.gif

QUOTE (Phantom Fears @ Jun 13 2006, 07:48 PM)
Just got done watching GUP dvd after listening to the CD during the day.

I think the new mix is superb. Alex did a great job. It struck me while listening to the DVD how clear and pronounced each instrutment is, with an emphasis on Geddy's bass. His bass really stands out without it being too much.

It's been years and years since I watched the old VHS tapes of these shows, but I don't remember the mix being so great, so obviously, Al did some fantastic work.

I can't wait to watch the others. Well done, Lerxst trink39.gif

I agree!! There has been some complaints about the video quality...but, I think that they all look great---certainly better than my old VHS and Brazilian bootlegs-- BUT, the real kicker is the SOUND...

Like you mentioned, the GUP audio is outstanding... everything sounds fuller yet with plenty of separation between the instruments and Geddy's BASS sounds crisp and upfront... the Steinberger has never sounded better.

The sound of Neil's drums at the beginning of ESL, while Camera Eye is playing sounds very different to me...it has a very DRY sound to it as opposed to a more reverbed kind of sound on the vhs tape.

QUOTE (Freis968 @ Jun 13 2006, 10:55 PM)
The sound of Neil's drums at the beginning of ESL, while Camera Eye is playing sounds very different to me...it has a very DRY sound to it as opposed to a more reverbed kind of sound on the vhs tape.

Uh oh, is that good or bad? This is my favorite album and or video of Neil's drums, tell me they didn't screw it up.

trink36.gif Cheers to Alex for making a killer box set! The Best Buy Version sold rather quick. There were only FIVE COPIES left.

QUOTE (hammerofthor @ Jun 13 2006, 11:38 PM)
QUOTE (Freis968 @ Jun 13 2006, 10:55 PM)

Uh oh, is that good or bad? This is my favorite album and or video of Neil's drums, tell me they didn't screw it up.

Not good. When you have heard something 1,000,000 times and it is changed on you...it is very noticeable. But it is only at the beginning of the video and does not alter the sound of the drums too bad on the rest of the concert.

Edited by Freis968