LIVE ALBUMS:

1)Seconds Out

2)Three Sides Live(UK Version/Remaster)

3)The Way We Walk Volumes 1 and 2

4)Genesis Live

BOX SETS:

1)Genesis Archive 1967-75

2)Genesis Archive 1976-92

Went with A Trick of the Tail. No Gabriel on that one, but they still had Hackett and still sounded Progressive.

QUOTE (H. P. L. @ Jun 12 2006, 01:37 AM)
Foxtrot because of Supper's Ready.

I'm really only interested in early Genesis, and while songs like Foxtrot did have the amazing Supper's Ready, it, like many early Genesis albums, were not entirely consistent. The only ones that were truly consistent all the way through for me were Tresspass and Selling England By The Pound.

As good as Tresspass is, Selling England By The Pound is a far more mature work. EASILY their best album - a masterpiece. yes.gif

QUOTE (BSG @ Jun 13 2006, 12:43 AM)
"Wind and Wuthering" needs a vote. Great songs all the way through, and Phil really coming into his own as a performer.

From "Eleventh Earl of Mar" all the way through "Afterglow", a great album.

I agree with this assessment.

"Wind and Wuthering" is probably my favorite.

"...and then there were three" is another great one. The first track (can't remember the name offhand) and "Ballad of Big" are my faves from this one.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jun 14 2006, 03:10 PM)
QUOTE (BSG @ Jun 13 2006, 12:43 AM)
"Wind and Wuthering" needs a vote. Great songs all the way through, and Phil really coming into his own as a performer.

From "Eleventh Earl of Mar" all the way through "Afterglow", a great album.

I agree with this assessment.

"Wind and Wuthering" is probably my favorite.

"...and then there were three" is another great one. The first track (can't remember the name offhand) and "Ballad of Big" are my faves from this one.

Down and Out was the first track on ATTWT!

Solo projects:

I haven't heard Tony Banks or Anthony Phillips or Mike Rutherford's solo stuff(not counting Mike and the Mechanics)

Peter Gabriel: Car or Peter Gabriel 1

Phil Collins: Face Value(who knew Phil could write songs until this album which unleashed a songwriter that was in hiding)

Steve Hackett: Voyage of the Acolyte(a lost Genesis album in all but name as it is Hackett, Rutherford and Collins playing on all the tracks pretty much)

I know the popular opinion here is that Genesis died when Gabriel left, but I don't think that was necessarily true. IMO, Steve Hackett made more of a difference in their music than Gabriel did, because the first two Collins era albums (Trick and Wind) sound pretty much like their earlier albums except with a different singer. It was when Steve Hackett left that they started to move towards a pop-oriented sound. And their first 3 albums of the "trio" era (ANd Then There Were Three, Duke, and ABACAB) were really good. Genesis and Invisible Touch were way way more hit and miss (seriously, In Too Deep from IT 062802puke_prv.gif ), but they still had some good stuff on them. We Can't Dance I liked better than either of them.

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Jun 15 2006, 11:56 AM)
I know the popular opinion here is that Genesis died when Gabriel left, but I don't think that was necessarily true. IMO, Steve Hackett made more of a difference in their music than Gabriel did, because the first two Collins era albums (Trick and Wind) sound pretty much like their earlier albums except with a different singer. It was when Steve Hackett left that they started to move towards a pop-oriented sound. And their first 3 albums of the "trio" era (ANd Then There Were Three, Duke, and ABACAB) were really good. Genesis and Invisible Touch were way way more hit and miss (seriously, In Too Deep from IT 062802puke_prv.gif ), but they still had some good stuff on them. We Can't Dance I liked better than either of them.

My favorite trio album was Duke.

Selling england by the pound,

A true classic album with the classic lineup,one of the best progressive albums i know along with foxtrot and the lamb lies...

i cant stand all of their other albums without peter gabriel..

Archived