• Wind and Wuthering
    • ...And Then There Were Three...
    • Duke
    • Abacab
    • Genesis
    • Invisible Touch
    • We Can't Dance
    • Calling All Stations

...And Then There Were Three...My favorite album.

Down and Out has to be one the most underrated Genesis songs(Collins era) ever. Works great as an overture. But I like the "sound" of this record overall Tony keyboards creates a great environment and a very competent production.

Selling England By The Pound is a close second and Foxtrot are the least. These are the only albums I own by them...

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am just getting into them but they are quickly becoming a favorite of mine.

I'm really into Foxtrot at the moment. I always hated the stuff I heard with Phil Collins, then I heard the material they did with Peter Gabriel and I was floored.

I also went for Trick. Flawless album.

I love Selling England. It has a certain grandure to it that works for me. It also has some goofiness which is a nice change from the general prog rock formula.

I'll take anything from Trespass through Spot the Pigeon, and I like Abacab too. Generally though the 3-piece stuff doesn't do much for me.

I've gone for The Lamb as I'm a sucker for double concept albums. In addition, it also contains 'Anyway' which is one of my all time Genesis favourites. Selling England comes in a close second, largely due to Dancing With the Moonlit Knight and The Battle of Epping Forest but I think it largely lost out due to More Fool Me.

I have to face it, I'm just not a fan of Phil Collins as a singer although I can tolerate Wind and Wuthering and most of Trick of the Tail (probably Steve Hackett's influence there).

I've been listening to their first album "From Genesis to Revelations" a LOT lately. Very different. It has that sixties sound that you find in Moody Blues and early Who.

I honestly have a hard time picking a favorite, but "Wind and Wuthering" is fantastic if just because of "Eleventh Earl of Mar", "Wot Gorilla", and "Blood on the Rooftops".

I recently got their book "Chapter and Verse" and it is pretty interesting.

n.c or foxtrot

QUOTE (TheRocinanteKid @ Mar 18 2008, 02:53 PM)
QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Mar 18 2008, 09:45 PM)
ah this thread is back. It really is no contest. Lamb Lies Down by a mile.

I love The Lamb Lies Down but don't you feel that pieces like Silent Sorrow In Empty Boats and Ravine are a little pointless? ohmy.gif

no. the waiting room is the only track i dont care for.

QUOTE (TheRocinanteKid @ Mar 18 2008, 04:53 PM)
QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Mar 18 2008, 09:45 PM)
ah this thread is back. It really is no contest. Lamb Lies Down by a mile.

I love The Lamb Lies Down but don't you feel that pieces like Silent Sorrow In Empty Boats and Ravine are a little pointless? ohmy.gif

Maybe (but probably not). The rest of the album is winner after winner, and no album in the catalogue sounds too much alike or different from it. I think this is Genesis' definitive album.

Other than that; I always thought Foxtrot was their most consistant album, and I love Trespass to death, though I think their best songs are on SEBtP laugh.gif

Tough decision; amazing band...

The Phil stuff isn't too shabby either, I'm a huge fan of Abacab and Genesis

I said Trick, I have to change it.

Gabriel Era:

Selling England

Collins Era:

Duke / We Can't Dance

Duke is their best, I'd say. Seemed to be their most inspired work and the first time they really felt "comfortable" working together as a trio. Not one song I CAN'T listen to on this album without enjoying myself, to me it's seemingly flawless. Cul-de-Sac is a true hidden gem from these guys that never gets fair recognition.

We Can't Dance is my #2. Yes, it's in their poppy era, but I think the album is absolutely terrific. It seemed as if they were drifting back to their roots with songs like Driving the Last Spike (one of my favorite songs by them), Dreaming While You Sleep, and Fading Lights. While one would have to skip the pop filler (I Can't Dance, No Son of Mine, Hold On My Heart), it's a terrific album. Hell, even for Top 40, Jesus He Knows Me ain't a bad song.

Selling England is my third favorite from them, I'm sure I don't need to explain why. To me, it's the pinnacle of the Gabriel years, and is far and away better than anything that lineup had released (with the obvious exception of Supper's Ready). Forget The Lamb, it doesn't quite match up to this one.

QUOTE (AeroZach2112 @ Mar 18 2008, 08:17 PM)

Gabriel Era:
Selling England

Collins Era:
Duke / We Can't Dance

Duke is their best, I'd say. Seemed to be their most inspired work and the first time they really felt "comfortable" working together as a trio. Not one song I CAN'T listen to on this album without enjoying myself, to me it's seemingly flawless. Cul-de-Sac is a true hidden gem from these guys that never gets fair recognition.

We Can't Dance is my #2. Yes, it's in their poppy era, but I think the album is absolutely terrific. It seemed as if they were drifting back to their roots with songs like Driving the Last Spike (one of my favorite songs by them), Dreaming While You Sleep, and Fading Lights. While one would have to skip the pop filler (I Can't Dance, No Son of Mine, Hold On My Heart), it's a terrific album. Hell, even for Top 40, Jesus He Knows Me ain't a bad song.

Selling England is my third favorite from them, I'm sure I don't need to explain why. To me, it's the pinnacle of the Gabriel years, and is far and away better than anything that lineup had released (with the obvious exception of Supper's Ready). Forget The Lamb, it doesn't quite match up to this one.

Forget the Lamb but We Cant Dance is absolulety terrific??? ohmy.gif

Sorry dude but I believe you'll be in the minority with that opinion. But is your opinion and I respect it. ... kinda.

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Mar 19 2008, 11:42 AM)

Gabriel Era:
Selling England

Collins Era:
Duke / We Can't Dance

Sorry dude but I believe you'll be in the minority with that opinion. But is your opinion and I respect it. ... kinda.

I meant forget the Lamb in the context of the Gabriel years. I see most people stating it's the best of that era, but I honestly believe that SEBTP and Foxtrot are much better than The Lamb. Not saying the Lamb is poor, just stating I don't think it's the definitive Gabes era album.

WCD is my second favorite Collins era album and third favorite overall Genesis album, but that doesn't mean I think it's BETTER than the Lamb. I just enjoy it more.

QUOTE (AeroZach2112 @ Mar 19 2008, 02:56 PM)

Gabriel Era:
Selling England

Collins Era:
Duke / We Can't Dance

I meant forget the Lamb in the context of the Gabriel years. I see most people stating it's the best of that era, but I honestly believe that SEBTP and Foxtrot are much better than The Lamb. Not saying the Lamb is poor, just stating I don't think it's the definitive Gabes era album.

WCD is my second favorite Collins era album and third favorite overall Genesis album, but that doesn't mean I think it's BETTER than the Lamb. I just enjoy it more.

fair enough.

I really feel WCD is the weakest of the Collins era albums, and it's the only album from that era that didnt get a vote in your poll. It's tough to sit through.

For the record, Wind and Wuthering is my fav from the Collins era.

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Mar 19 2008, 05:22 PM)

Gabriel Era:
Selling England

Collins Era:
Duke / We Can't Dance

fair enough.

I really feel WCD is the weakest of the Collins era albums, and it's the only album from that era that didnt get a vote in your poll. It's tough to sit through.

As I stated about WCD, once you get through some of the pop filler, there are some gems on that album. They attempted returning to their "roots" with songs like "Fading Lights" and "Driving The Last Spike", and did so successfully I'd say.

Worst Collins era album, to me, would go to "Invisible Touch". God, what a painful listen. There are only two songs I like, "Domino" and "The Brazilian", but to me it's the worst album they've ever done (yes, I don't think Calling All Stations was THAT bad).

We'll disagree on this, I know. I just saw a positive shift in the band's music and sound when put up against the prior release of IT. Would've loved to have seen where the band went with Collins had he stuck around...

I know what we CAN agree on, that W&W is an absolutely fantastic album. One of the best of the Collins era.

I only have Duke and Foxtrot... listened to Foxtrot once... sounded like old prog hat. Duke, on the other hand, I find vibrant and exciting... but I've only given it one full listen and a few scattered listens here and there.

QUOTE (AeroZach2112 @ Mar 19 2008, 05:37 PM)
QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Mar 19 2008, 05:22 PM)

Gabriel Era:
Selling England

Collins Era:
Duke / We Can't Dance

fair enough.

As I stated about WCD, once you get through some of the pop filler, there are some gems on that album. They attempted returning to their "roots" with songs like "Fading Lights" and "Driving The Last Spike", and did so successfully I'd say.

Worst Collins era album, to me, would go to "Invisible Touch". God, what a painful listen. There are only two songs I like, "Domino" and "The Brazilian", but to me it's the worst album they've ever done (yes, I don't think Calling All Stations was THAT bad).

We'll disagree on this, I know. I just saw a positive shift in the band's music and sound when put up against the prior release of IT. Would've loved to have seen where the band went with Collins had he stuck around...

I know what we CAN agree on, that W&W is an absolutely fantastic album. One of the best of the Collins era.

I agree with you on all counts except for Invisible Touch...I agree it's the three-piece Genesis' worst, but "Tonight, Tonight, Tonight" and "Land of Confusion" are both awesome songs.

Archived