Weezer, anybody?

Weezer was formed in 1992 by singer/guitarist Rivers Cuomo, guitarist Jason Cropper, bassist/backup vocalist Matt Sharp, and drummer Pat Wilson.

I'm not going to go really in-depth, I'm just gonna skim over everything and let you all discuss.

Jason Cropper left the band after not very long to be replaced by Brian Bell. Actually, it was after they recorded the first album. So then Rivers over-dubbed all of Jason's parts just before the album was put to market. Their first album was self titled (hey, a lot like 2.gif !) so it'll be henceforth called Blue cuz it's blue on the front tongue.gif Blue sold about 3 million copies, was light and power-chordy, and had lots of variances in emotion. Released 3 singles from it. Came out in 1994.

Pinkerton came 2 years later (1996), was very dark and emotional. Grainy, distorted sound. Hated by fans, but then was loved about 4 years later. Sold around 1 million or 750k.

Green (their other self-titled) came 5 years later (2001), more poppy than blue, less grungy. Mikey Welsh replaced Matt Sharp. Very happy. Very layered. Mostly not liked by fans. I have no clue how much it sold.

Maladroit comes less than a year later (2002). Very much more hard rock, fuzzed out metal. Scott Shriner replaced Mikey Welsh. Good solos. I love it, most =w= fans don't.

Make Believe came in 2005, with a very mature sound. Keyboards and pianos introduced to their sounds. Hard to explain. Mostly disliked by fans, but I like it.

EXTREMELY brief synopsis of Weezer. Discuss now everybody! 1022.gif

Ehh, I dont care for them. Their highly overated in my opinion.. Just another mediocre rock/punk band. schla03.gif

I think Weezer are one of the best mainstream bands out there as far as "modern rock" goes. Wether or not you like it, Rivers can craft a catchy pop rock tune with ease. Maybe all of his songs are about girls, being a loser when it comes to girls and nerdy things (a la In The Garage), but he does what he does well.

The Blue album is perfect. Not one bad song on it. Only in Dreams is one of the first songs I ever found myself relating to.

Pinkerton is good but I think highly overrated amongst us fans. I even think that Make Believe is stronger as an album.

Green is neat but all of the songs sound the same save Hash Pipe, which is easily the best on it.

Maladroit is, IMHO, supremely unfocused and really weak but saved by a few singles.

Make Beleive = Weezer is back making awesome records! biggrin.gif. Gotta love it. Beverly Hills, This is such a pity and Haunt you Every Day all rock out.

QUOTE (DWarner @ Jun 11 2006, 09:07 PM)
Pat went to my high school.

Lucky!

I think Weezer are one of the best mainstream bands out there as far as "modern rock" goes. Wether or not you like it, Rivers can craft a catchy pop rock tune with ease. Maybe all of his songs are about girls, being a loser when it comes to girls and nerdy things (a la In The Garage), but he does what he does well.

The Blue album is perfect. Not one bad song on it. Only in Dreams is one of the first songs I ever found myself relating to.

Pinkerton is good but I think highly overrated amongst us fans. I even think that Make Believe is stronger as an album.

Green is neat but all of the songs sound the same save Hash Pipe, which is easily the best on it.

Maladroit is, IMHO, supremely unfocused and really weak but saved by a few singles.

Make Beleive = Weezer is back making awesome records! biggrin.gif. Gotta love it. Beverly Hills, This is such a pity and Haunt you Every Day all rock out.

Actually, I agree about The Blue Album. And I agree about Pinkerton. As far as Green goes.... It's like Weezer's Vapor Trails, you've really gotta listen to hear all the hidden harmonies and stuff... I LOVE MALADROIT!! I think it rocks the socks. It could do without Space Rock and maybe Death and Destruction, but otherwise I love it! I think Make Believe is their weakest. It's not bad, but the songs just don't rock as hard as Maladroit's and are not nearly as consistent as albums 1-3. That's just my take on it.

Hmm... All I know about TMBG is that they do the Malcom in the Middle theme confused13.gif

But Weezer... I don't know what it is about them that makes me like them so much. Crunchy guitars? Idk, but they are placed on a pedestal like this:

Rush

Weezer

Coheed and Cambria

Most other modern bands

Hawthorne heights 062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif

QUOTE (priest_of_syrinx @ Jun 11 2006, 11:20 PM)
Hmm... All I know about TMBG is that they do the Malcom in the Middle theme confused13.gif

But Weezer... I don't know what it is about them that makes me like them so much. Crunchy guitars? Idk, but they are placed on a pedestal like this:

Rush

Weezer

Coheed and Cambria

Most other modern bands

Hawthorne heights 062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif

Well, i do agree with the order those bands are placed in!!

Hehe.

Their actually pretty underrated. Pinkerton is such an amazing album, its a shame it wasnt as commericaly succesfull as their blue album. Every cd by Weezer is fantastic except their newest one. But even that cd, has some good songs on it, i have high hopes that their next cd after this one will be much better.

Weezer is such an awesome band. Don't expect too many Rush fans to like them tho, if it aint prog rock..it's shit.

QUOTE (2112Zoso @ Jun 11 2006, 10:42 PM)
Their actually pretty underrated. Pinkerton is such an amazing album, its a shame it wasnt as commericaly succesfull as their blue album. Every cd by Weezer is fantastic except their newest one. But even that cd, has some good songs on it, i have high hopes that their next cd after this one will be much better.

Weezer is such an awesome band. Don't expect too many Rush fans to like them tho, if it aint prog rock..it's shit.

Sad, but true sad.gif

Rush, 70's Genesis, and CO/CA are the main prog bands I listen to... I'll probably be discovering a whole lot more. wink.gif

Seriously, if you havent heard Pinkerton, your really missing out.

I saw Weezer last year at the Coachella festival, by far the best act there. They are amazing live.

Its actually really good, you must of had your head up your ass.

QUOTE (2112Zoso @ Jun 12 2006, 05:22 PM)
Its actually really good, you must of had your head up your ass.

Nice. Troll much?

Damn.. i got 3 people to quote me! Sheez....

Ne ways, It wasn't trolling, it's just damned annoying how i say I think its great album, then he responds "actually it's not good".

If he would have responded with "I listened to it, and I just didn't dig it" then that would have been cool.

So..I responded back with a rather...tasteless response.

QUOTE (2112Zoso @ Jun 12 2006, 06:02 PM)
So..I responded back with a rather...tasteless response.

Like most of my responses to your Green Day lovin'!

I'm just messing with ya kid.

PS If I haven't told you to check out The Living End, you should do it. New album out tomorrow, but I'd suggest getting their last one first, Modern ARTillary. The S/T and Roll On are great albums too.

Ahh I've never heard of The Living End. ohmy.gif

Weezer's cool. I like the first three albums, especially Pinkerton. My mom thought the lyrics to "Pink Triangle" were "big Diane is a lesbian" and I've been known to belt out "Say It Aint So" from the blue album when I'm drunk.

They went downhill pretty fast though. The music on Maladroit is "meh", and the lyrics on Make Believe are nowhere near as clever or fun as the other stuff.

Archived