Reality Television

I'm sorry I know most people love reality TV, but personally I think it is retarded shitty programming. People thriving on gratuitous nonsense. Dancing with the stars, the apprentice, survivor, nanny 911, American Idol, Trading spouses, That stupid Gary Busey show, and so on and so on and so on.....

I'm tired of it. What happened to great program. What happened to having nights of television filled with great sitcoms, movies of the week, or even good documentaries. Does anyone else remember what quality television was like? Beside the ones that I listed above there are probably 300 more reality shows that I didn't. I'm so tired of them. I f***ing hate all this reality bullshit rage.gif .

Apperently there are millions of mindless zombies consuming this nonsense. My wife is one of the biggest offenders of being a Reality TV junkie. I'll admit there have been a few times when I have seen a couple that aren't that bad, but enough is enough people.

I have a great idea for a reality show. I know it will do well, and IMO it will be on par with the quality of reality programming that is currently infecting our airwaves. I call the show, "Flush My Poo". It's an hour long weekly show were people flush shit down different toilets and nothing else. There will be no real point to the show other than flushing shit! A great idea don't you think? As we all know there is no real need for quality anymore. What's really stupid, I know there would be tons of people that would watch a show called "Flush My Poo" religiously.

rantoff.gif

Edited by Modest Man From Mandrake

I haven't seen many Reality tv programs but the ones I have seen were terrible. Every time I go back to the states (maybe once a year or once every 18months), there seem to be more and more. I don't see them dying off anytime soon. Just turn off the tv and turn on the stereo 2.gif

I have a great idea for a reality show. I know it will do well, and IMO it will be on par with the quality of reality programming that is currently infecting our airwaves. I call the show, "Flush My Poo". It's an hour long weekly show were people flush shit down different toilets and nothing else. There will be no real point to the show other than flushing shit! A great idea don't you think? As we all know there is no real need for quality anymore. What's really stupid, I know there would be tons of people that would watch a show called "Flush My Poo" religiously.

no.gif no.gif no.gif

I would not watch this tongue.gif But for the ones you listed Survior yes.gif American Idol yes.gif The Race yes.gif Trading Spouse unsure.gif sometimes i do .

I have to admit I LOVE these shows tongue.gif yes.gif bekloppt.gif bolt.gif

A lot of the reality TV shows are staged. I remember watching that supernanny show and the wife swap once, and the testimonials the people were giving were so obviously scripted. Reality TV is the reason why I dont even watch TV anymore. There are so few creative ideas coming from Hollywood these days, both in movies and TV, I seriously hope something comes along one of these days and knocks some senses into the viewing public. (Shame on us for watching it)

See, there in lies the issue. There seems to be a serious brain drain with regards to teleplay and script writers. Currently there are few good writers of TV and movies, coupled with the fact that making reality tv shows and remaking movies requires very little extra energy or money. And the masses are eating it up. So the networks and studios are milking this cash cow for as much as they can. I speculate the reality tv craze should be completely dead in the next three or four years. It's already starting to fizzle away.

the only reality shows i currently watch or was at one point into are/were:

survivior

the apprentice

american idol

the real world

america's next top model

the surreal life

the bachelor

the bachelorette

celebrity fit club

fear factor

the amazing race

my fair brady

temptation island

made

wife swap

trading spouses

punk'd

dog eat dog

forever eden

high school reunion

joe schmo

my big fat obnoxious fiancee

joe millionaire

and a couple others...

but that's IT!

what can i say, i LOVE reality television - not every show, but a lot of them my wife and i are totally addicted to. yes.gif

Edited by rushgoober

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 7 2006, 11:48 PM)
the only reality shows i currently watch or was at one point into are/were:

survivior
the apprentice
american idol
the real world
america's next top model
the surreal life
the bachelor
the bachelorette
celebrity weight club
fear factor
the amazing race
my fair brady
temptation island
made
wife swap
trading spouses
punk'd
dog eat dog
forever eden
high school reunion
joe schmo
my big fat obnoxious fiancee
joe millionaire

and a couple others...

but that's IT!

what can i say, i LOVE reality television - not every show, but a lot of them my wife and i are totally addicted to. yes.gif

trink39.gif trink39.gif bekloppt.gif

I'm an Idiot Box junkie.

Sure, I'd prefer they made more GOOD sitcoms, but these days all they create are new "reality" shows. I watch some of them for the same reason Eskimos eat fish: it's the only thing on the menu.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ May 8 2006, 02:10 PM)
I'm an Idiot Box junkie.

Sure, I'd prefer they made more GOOD sitcoms, but these days all they create are new "reality" shows. I watch some of them for the same reason Eskimos eat fish: it's the only thing on the menu.

I can relate to that I guess. My point was exactly your sentiment. It's the only thing on the menu! It's a sad sad state of affairs in the world of TV.

I watched some of Survivor that first season. I didn't care too much for it. I've watched some of Trump's show, too. I don't like that one too much, either.

As for it being the only thing on the menu, there's always something interesting on the Discovery Channel or the History Channel or the Learning Channel. Otherwise, the only series I ever watch is the Sopranos. I do find the programming to be poor today. There was aloways crap on TV, but they've got it down to a science now.

QUOTE (anagramking @ May 8 2006, 10:59 AM)
I watched some of Survivor that first season.  I didn't care too much for it.  I've watched some of Trump's show, too.  I don't like that one too much, either. 

As for it being the only thing on the menu, there's always something interesting on the Discovery Channel or the History Channel or the Learning Channel.  Otherwise, the only series I ever watch is the Sopranos.  I do find the programming to be poor today.  There was aloways crap on TV, but they've got it down to a science now.

one would think, and maybe this logic is a little too illogical, that because there are far less slots for sit-coms and drams, that only the cream of the crop, the most palatable would make it to tv. one could even argue that the reality television is preventing some of the crappier sit-coms and dramas from clogging the airwaves.

anyway, there are SOOO many networks these days that there are still plenty of sitcoms and dramas available for those who hate reality tv. there really are ZERO current sitcoms i dig and watch on a regular basis these days - mostly watching re-runs of sex in the city, friends, that 70's show, occasionally will & grace, etc., when i do watch sitcoms.

in terms of dramas, i love the new spate of supernatural shows out. medium and ghost whisperer i think are fantastic. oddly enough, i've never checked out supernatural - that one never looked too appealing. my very favorite is charmed, but there are only 2 episodes left and then the series is over for good. sad.gif

anyway, with all the networks out there, the history channel, comedy channel, TBS, Spike TV, G4, E, VH1 and others, it's often not too hard to find SOMETHING to watch. i don't think tv has really gone downhill from where it was 10 or 20 years ago - there's still plenty of crap and some good stuff regardless of your tastes...

Edited by rushgoober

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 8 2006, 03:08 PM)
one would think, and maybe this logical is a little too illogical, that because there are far less slots for sit-coms and drams, that only the cream of the crop, the most palatable would make it to tv. one could even argue that the reality television is preventing some of the crappier sit-coms and dramas from clogging the airwaves.

I disagree. There have been plenty of good shows taken off the air and reality tv put in it's place. One I can think of off the top of my head is Titus. That show was as funny as hell. It was on Fox but now fox is full of american idle. What ever happened to that show pigsty. Again another funny show. When I think of more I'll name em.

QUOTE (Modest Man From Mandrake @ May 8 2006, 11:12 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 8 2006, 03:08 PM)
one would think, and maybe this logical is a little too illogical, that because there are far less slots for sit-coms and drams, that only the cream of the crop, the most palatable would make it to tv.  one could even argue that the reality television is preventing some of the crappier sit-coms and dramas from clogging the airwaves.

I disagree. There have been plenty of good shows taken off the air and reality tv put in it's place. One I can think of off the top of my head is Titus. That show was as funny as hell. It was on Fox but now fox is full of american idle. What ever happened to that show pigsty. Again another funny show. When I think of more I'll name em.

well, i did think that logic would be a little illogical, but oh well. for what it's worth, even before the advent of reality tv, i remember plenty of great shows being cancelled and not making it - sometimes the public is very finnicky about what it watches. regardless, sorry you don't dig reality tv. i admit that a fair amount of it is crap, but i still do like a good bit of it. eh.gif

Not all reality TV shows were successful. For instance Britard Sneers and Kevin Freeloader's reality show Chaotic TANKED BIG TIME. They were going to do a second season but ratings were SO BAD that they aborted it and sent Miss "I hate having my private life on display yet did so with Chaotic"'s career further into oblivion.

Reality TV seemed to have also killed Ozzy Osbourne's career and no one takes him seriously anymore. Gene Simmons had a reality TV series which stiffed.

ENOUGH ALREADY with reality TV, I just stick with Boomerang(Cartoon Network Classic)!

the only reality tv show I ever watched by my own accord was the first season of the Joe Schmo Show on Spiketv, which was basically a mokery of reality tv- think the Truman Show, but on a smaller scale. It was pretty damn funnyI have to say.

Other than that, the only reality tv I need is NFL and MLB!

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Jun 19 2006, 08:33 PM)
QUOTE (Modest Man From Mandrake @ May 7 2006, 09:20 PM)
American Idol,

waffen093.gif waffen093.gif 062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif

my opinion.

American Idol sucks!

QUOTE (doubled_mystic @ Jun 20 2006, 03:27 AM)
yes, why yes it does......what I want to know is, who are the people these contestants are idols to? and why?

Good question.

I would like to know this:

Why does canada have a canadian idol?

As if american wasn't enough.