the not-so great mascot war of '06

Lenerd

10 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 1 Anonymous Users):

kazzman, paganoman, Digital Man, Alsgalpal, D-13, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1, Signals1982, rushgoober, dudio

hot topic today.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (kazzman @ May 8 2006, 11:47 AM)
10 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 1 Anonymous Users):
kazzman, paganoman, Digital Man, Alsgalpal, D-13, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1, Signals1982, rushgoober, dudio

hot topic today.

It is quite interesting, even though it's sad to see everybody at each other's throats.

QUOTE (RushRevisited @ May 8 2006, 11:48 AM)
This cannot be about losing a poll, I refuse to believe that until Geds, Necro, or Goob posts that... That would be lame on the highest scale if that was the case.

Read up on the threads regarding that. That's exactly what the case is.

QUOTE (RushRevisited @ May 8 2006, 10:25 AM)
QUOTE (blonde77th @ May 8 2006, 11:16 AM)
Well said Rushgoober !!! I am cool with you  biggrin.gif  trink39.gif

So is everyone here that I know of, that is why I am so confused on this. All I saw was a mascot poll where Lenerd was wanted to win and he didn't win (big deal!) now everyone seems back to "war" or something on something I thought was settled a while back.

I mean here we have new posts from Necro with things like "It's not up to some folks "standards" of what fun is, so luckily a whole seperate playroom was created " which is something else I thought was settled (and per our conversations I thought you were in agreement and understanding about this Necro, so I am surprised to see you bring up old shit like this again - I guess I was wrong in believing you a few months ago when you told me that in the end you freaked out prematurely, that the subforum was a good idea, etc...)...

We have Geds saying thigns like "But if you insist on apologizing for who you are, in the wake of people who never apologize for ANYTHING, and you insist on defending their right to cut your throat, then maybe you're right" - WTF? Who told Goob to apologize for anything? Where does this even come from here? What is being missed here?

I mean seriously, what's is the f***ing big deal? Am I missing a huge piece of this whole thing? If so please spit it out.

I think people like Geds feel that there are certain members who constantly throw sarcastic comments their way for no reason. In various goofy threads this is evident. And I have to say something was up with the mascot votes. I voted for Penny but at my own will. But that's a lot of votes in a short time.

Although, being an outsider of sortsI hae to say, who really cares? Honestly? Silly threads should equal serious blow ups.

I like the members of the Goob crew, but honestly you guys can be really annoying sometimes. And not everybody likes that. So that's where the sarcastic comments come from.

You guys are not everyone's cup of tea. The sooner you realize that and not concern youselves with what other people think the better this board will be for everyone.

It's just a messageboard. No need for all this.

11 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 1 Anonymous Users):

defrushfan01, paganoman, Larks, blonde77th, plodder, D-13, barney_rebel, Moonraker, Jack Aubrey, dudio

bekloppt.gif bolt.gif

I'm going to lunch, but I hope GEds or NEcro or Goob responds here, because seriously... IF this is truely about "Lenerd losing a poll" then all I can say is...

Get a f***ing life.

I still refuse to believe that this is what it is about. That would be the most absurd thing... Can't be true...

As far as I see it, this whole thing is one big non-issue. Maybe if the voting thread were posted in GD instead of RS, then there wouldnt have been as many people participating in it who arent a fan of the "silly" threads that are posted in that subforum. By putting it in RS, the thread opened itself up to receiving more criticism in the way it had.

I also dont want to hear that it was the mods job to move it. The thread was posted in RS intentionally to draw more attention, and it is not our job to police every single thread the way we see fit. People should be able to understand what they are doing and be able to deal with what turns out if they made the incorrect decision.

Again, this whole thing is a non-issue.

QUOTE (Necromancer @ May 8 2006, 12:02 AM)
QUOTE (2112-Rob-2112 @ May 7 2006, 10:52 PM)
this is just tooo wierd...

Weird is what we do kiddo. There's a bunch of us here, unflatteringly called the "goob crew", that like to release tension and have a little bit of fun here. It's not up to some folks "standards" of what fun is, so luckily a whole seperate playroom was created for things that didn't quite fit or need to tie up Random Samples. Well... now even that room seems to be unsafe for the "goob crew". This thread was posted well before the latest uncalled for disagreement and resulting series of locked threads, so i thought it quite ironic (for the record... the locked threads aren't what i'm calling uncalled for). I also thought the original post in here and where it was headed was quite brilliantly hilarious and was eagerly awaiting the followup to it. Some of these "silly idiots" around here should be getting big money to be the star of their own sitcoms. Unfortunately they missed their calling and only get to grace the small few of us here with their brilliance.

I would love it if say one of these comedic geniuses did become famous for their comedy and got to meet up with the same people that thought so little of them when they tried to brighten our days with some silliness to break up the bullshit that IS all our lives.

necro jumps off the soapbox, cuz really... who's listening?

He didn't say "weird" because of Lenerd or the other characters. He thinks it's weird that you guys are still pissed off about what happened. He thinks it's weird that you guys won't let go of what was supposed to be a harmless little message board election. He thinks it's weird that you guys are STILL so upset that a dog entered at the last minute and won, even though tick suggested to Jack that if he wanted to enter a dog, he could.

QUOTE (tick @ May 3 2006, 06:56 PM)

approved , not approved. official , not official . who cares.
and jack feel free to nominate your favorite big dog.

Huck and Mrs. Huck decided to take tick up on that offer and entered Penny. Surprisingly, Penny won. I'm sure they didn't think some of you would get THIS UPSET if their dog won! I'm pretty sure if they knew you guys were going to take this so seriouly, and that you would continue to carry on for DAYS after it was over, they wouldn't have entered their dog. They weren't trying to "sabatoge" the election, they were trying to join in on the fun! They thought it was just a fun little message board thing. Well, of course they thought that...so did most everyone else on this board. Except for a few of you, that is.

Again, nobody is trying to squash a certain kind of silly humor here. There is nothing wrong with having a weird sense of humor. My sense of humor is pretty damn weird. I mean, WE GAVE YOU YOUR OWN DAMN FORUM so you could have all the fun you wanted and whoever wanted to join in could do so. Look around Grand Designs -- it's not like there's only five people posting in here. It's become an important part of this board with LOTS of people coming in here to have some fun. Why can't you guys be happy about that?

Nobody told Goob to apologize after the election. He did that all on his own. Maybe he realized the election wasn't worth all the trouble. Maybe he realized, even though he was upset that none of the original characters won, that it was time to move on. Sounds like a good idea.

EDIT: fixed a few typos

Oy.

Ok, there is a perception among some, and please understand that I've moved away from this way of viewing things even though I understand it, that there is some kind of vague conspiracy or a dislike or disrespect from some of the more "straight", more normal people on the board towards the more silly and goofy people. This was personified perhaps in it's greatest degree by the need to create a new sub-forum to contain it. I think most all would agree, and certainly I see that it actually has worked out brilliantly well having this sub-forum.

Some people perceive that there is an ongoing disrespect that goes on, and that the whole Lenerd thing was just the latest in that series of events. So it's not about the mascot thing, it's about a greater ongoing issue of feeling disrespected or belittled for being silly and outrageous.

At some point I realized, and it was actually a post from Jack Aubrey in some thread 2-3 months back that got me thinking, that perhaps this concept of a conspiracy of sorts was just something in my mind, that no one is really out to get anyone here, and that all it is, is there are a handful of people, a minority, who can't relate well to my radical views and extreme humor. There's also the aspect of reading only text. I almost wish I could talk to people on the phone (and I do to some) or meet them in person, as I'm sure that would clear up a lot of misconceptions. It can be hard on the internet or a message board to always ascertain a person's true intentions and where there heart truly is.

As I said previously, I, speaking only for myself here, just want peace and harmony. I'm working to accept responsibility where I've done wrong and to make amends when appropriate. My views are often radical and sometimes controversial, so I'm working hard to tone it down a bit, enough that I'm compromising for the sake of peace and harmony, but not so much that I'm not me anymore. I'm prone to being extremely silly and wacky, and that won't change either, but I also never set out to alienate anyone with it. The whole concept of the "Goob Crew" I didn't want to take root because there is that perception of an exclusive clique, and I don't want to exclude anyone from anything. Tick and Necro and Geds and others are my good friends, yes, but I have many other good friends here as well.

I'll let Necro and Geds speak for themselves from their own perspective since they've chimed in earlier on this thread. I can only say that there has been a perception of us being belittled in some way, but it's a perception that I refuse to accept anymore if for no other reason then it doesn't make me happy to view things that way. I don't see conspiracies going on, and I refuse to be angry, to alienate or feel alienated. I just want to have fun and make friends, and the people who won't accept me as friends, well, at least I hope we can be respectful and civilized towards each other. TRF is like a big family, and of course with any family there's a certain amount of dysfunctionality that goes on, but also hopefully there's an underlying love and togetherness that supersedes that.

I don't know if that answers anything, but I don't know what else to add.

Peace,

Gary

QUOTE (RushRevisited @ May 8 2006, 10:48 AM)
This cannot be about losing a poll, I refuse to believe that until Geds, Necro, or Goob posts that...  That would be lame on the highest scale if that was the case.

bekloppt.gif

I just spoke with Necro wub.gif from work

He asked me to tell you that this is not

over "Lenerd losing a poll". He said he

will post when he comes home.

bolt.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 8 2006, 11:18 AM)
Oy.

Ok, there is a perception among some, and please understand that I've moved away from this way of viewing things even though I understand it, that there is some kind of vague conspiracy or a dislike or disrespect from some of the more "straight", more normal people on the board towards the more silly and goofy people. This was personified perhaps in it's greatest degree by the need to create a new sub-forum to contain it. I think most all would agree, and certainly I see that it actually has worked out brilliantly well having this sub-forum.

Some people perceive that there is an ongoing disrespect that goes on, and that the whole Lenerd thing was just the latest in that series of events. So it's not about the mascot thing, it's about a greater ongoing issue of feeling disrespected or belittled for being silly and outrageous.

At some point I realized, and it was actually a post from Jack Aubrey in some thread 2-3 months back that got me thinking, that perhaps this concept of a conspiracy of sorts was just something in my mind, that no one is really out to get anyone here, and that all it is, is there are a handful of people, a minority, who can't relate well to my radical views and extreme humor. There's also the aspect of reading only text. I almost wish I could talk to people on the phone (and I do to some) or meet them in person, as I'm sure that would clear up a lot of misconceptions. It can be hard on the internet or a message board to always ascertain a person's true intentions and where there heart truly is.

As I said previously, I, speaking only for myself here, just want peace and harmony. I'm working to accept responsibility where I've done wrong and to make amends when appropriate. My views are often radical and sometimes controversial, so I'm working hard to tone it down a bit, enough that I'm compromising for the sake of peace and harmony, but not so much that I'm not me anymore. I'm prone to being extremely silly and wacky, and that won't change either, but I also never set out to alienate anyone with it. The whole concept of the "Goob Crew" I didn't want to take root because there is that perception of an exclusive clique, and I don't want to exclude anyone from anything. Tick and Necro and Geds and others are my good friends, yes, but I have many other good friends here as well.

I'll let Necro and Geds speak for themselves from their own perspective since they've chimed in earlier on this thread. I can only say that there has been a perception of us being belittled in some way, but it's a perception that I refuse to accept anymore if for no other reason then it doesn't make me happy to view things that way. I don't see conspiracies going on, and I refuse to be angry, to alienate or feel alienated. I just want to have fun and make friends, and the people who won't accept me as friends, well, at least I hope we can be respectful and civilized towards each other. TRF is like a big family, and of course with any family there's a certain amount of dysfunctionality that goes on, but also hopefully there's an underlying love and togetherness that supersedes that.

Peace,
Gary

Another terrific post, Gary. You're batting a thousand today. trink39.gif

11 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 1 Anonymous Users):

CeeJ, blonde77th, Jack Aubrey, rushgoober, kazzman, barney_rebel, D-13, Signals1982, plodder, Larks

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ May 8 2006, 08:15 AM)
Nobody told Goob to apologize after the election. He did that all on his own. Maybe he realized the election wasn't worth all the trouble. Maybe he realized, even though he was upset that none of the original characters won, that it was time to move on. Sounds like a good idea.

Yes, this is true.

The loss was unexpected so I scurried to create an icon for my signature that would still have Lenerd as an unofficial mascot since I didn't want to let him go. When I realized it was unsportsmanlike and creating animosity, I removed it and apologized for doing so. Also, the whole thing was ridiculously silly, and I needed to let it go and breathe freely. I really wish I hadn't done it as it seems to have created unforseen ripples of strife, but perhaps also it's bringing things to the surfaced that were already there anyway. None of that was planned.

Anyway, I'm trying to make peace with people. Sometimes explaining myself backfires too, but I was asked by someone privately to explain what was going on here, so I'm doing my best to do so.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ May 8 2006, 12:26 PM)
Oy.

Ok, there is a perception among some, and please understand that I've moved away from this way of viewing things even though I understand it, that there is some kind of vague conspiracy or a dislike or disrespect from some of the more "straight", more normal people on the board towards the more silly and goofy people.  This was personified perhaps in it's greatest degree by the need to create a new sub-forum to contain it.  I think most all would agree, and certainly I see that it actually has worked out brilliantly well having this sub-forum.

Some people perceive that there is an ongoing disrespect that goes on, and that the whole Lenerd thing was just the latest in that series of events.  So it's not about the mascot thing, it's about a greater ongoing issue of feeling disrespected or belittled for being silly and outrageous.

At some point I realized, and it was actually a post from Jack Aubrey in some thread 2-3 months back that got me thinking, that perhaps this concept of a conspiracy of sorts was just something in my mind, that no one is really out to get anyone here, and that all it is, is there are a handful of people, a minority, who can't relate well to my radical views and extreme humor.  There's also the aspect of reading only text.  I almost wish I could talk to people on the phone (and I do to some) or meet them in person, as I'm sure that would clear up a lot of misconceptions.  It can be hard on the internet or a message board to always ascertain a person's true intentions and where there heart truly is.

As I said previously, I, speaking only for myself here, just want peace and harmony.  I'm working to accept responsibility where I've done wrong and to make amends when appropriate.  My views are often radical and sometimes controversial, so I'm working hard to tone it down a bit, enough that I'm compromising for the sake of peace and harmony, but not so much that I'm not me anymore.  I'm prone to being extremely silly and wacky, and that won't change either, but I also never set out to alienate anyone with it.  The whole concept of the "Goob Crew" I didn't want to take root because there is that perception of an exclusive clique, and I don't want to exclude anyone from anything.  Tick and Necro and Geds and others are my good friends, yes, but I have many other good friends here as well.

I'll let Necro and Geds speak for themselves from their own perspective since they've chimed in earlier on this thread.  I can only say that there has been a perception of us being belittled in some way, but it's a perception that I refuse to accept anymore if for no other reason then it doesn't make me happy to view things that way.  I don't see conspiracies going on, and I refuse to be angry, to alienate or feel alienated.  I just want to have fun and make friends, and the people who won't accept me as friends, well, at least I hope we can be respectful and civilized towards each other.  TRF is like a big family, and of course with any family there's a certain amount of dysfunctionality that goes on, but also hopefully there's an underlying love and togetherness that supersedes that.

Peace,
Gary

Oh I HUGE BIGTIME CONCUR. applaudit.gif applaudit.gif

QUOTE (paganoman @ May 8 2006, 08:28 AM)
Oy.

Ok, there is a perception among some, and please understand that I've moved away from this way of viewing things even though I understand it, that there is some kind of vague conspiracy or a dislike or disrespect from some of the more "straight", more normal people on the board towards the more silly and goofy people.  This was personified perhaps in it's greatest degree by the need to create a new sub-forum to contain it.  I think most all would agree, and certainly I see that it actually has worked out brilliantly well having this sub-forum.

Some people perceive that there is an ongoing disrespect that goes on, and that the whole Lenerd thing was just the latest in that series of events.  So it's not about the mascot thing, it's about a greater ongoing issue of feeling disrespected or belittled for being silly and outrageous.

At some point I realized, and it was actually a post from Jack Aubrey in some thread 2-3 months back that got me thinking, that perhaps this concept of a conspiracy of sorts was just something in my mind, that no one is really out to get anyone here, and that all it is, is there are a handful of people, a minority, who can't relate well to my radical views and extreme humor.  There's also the aspect of reading only text.  I almost wish I could talk to people on the phone (and I do to some) or meet them in person, as I'm sure that would clear up a lot of misconceptions.  It can be hard on the internet or a message board to always ascertain a person's true intentions and where there heart truly is.

As I said previously, I, speaking only for myself here, just want peace and harmony.  I'm working to accept responsibility where I've done wrong and to make amends when appropriate.  My views are often radical and sometimes controversial, so I'm working hard to tone it down a bit, enough that I'm compromising for the sake of peace and harmony, but not so much that I'm not me anymore.  I'm prone to being extremely silly and wacky, and that won't change either, but I also never set out to alienate anyone with it.  The whole concept of the "Goob Crew" I didn't want to take root because there is that perception of an exclusive clique, and I don't want to exclude anyone from anything.  Tick and Necro and Geds and others are my good friends, yes, but I have many other good friends here as well.

I'll let Necro and Geds speak for themselves from their own perspective since they've chimed in earlier on this thread.  I can only say that there has been a perception of us being belittled in some way, but it's a perception that I refuse to accept anymore if for no other reason then it doesn't make me happy to view things that way.  I don't see conspiracies going on, and I refuse to be angry, to alienate or feel alienated.  I just want to have fun and make friends, and the people who won't accept me as friends, well, at least I hope we can be respectful and civilized towards each other.  TRF is like a big family, and of course with any family there's a certain amount of dysfunctionality that goes on, but also hopefully there's an underlying love and togetherness that supersedes that.

Peace,
Gary

Thanks, guys. trink39.gif

QUOTE (paganoman @ May 8 2006, 09:28 AM)
Oy.

Peace,
Gary

cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif

goodpost.gif goodpost.gif goodpost.gif

are you all having a collective sane moment now?

653.gif 653.gif 653.gif 653.gif

QUOTE (plodder @ May 8 2006, 01:54 PM)
are you all having a collective sane moment now?

653.gif 653.gif 653.gif 653.gif

laugh.gif

It's a moment, at least. Let's be thankful for that.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 8 2006, 05:18 PM)
Oy.

Peace,
Gary

How the F*ck did I miss all this?

confused13.gif

Anyway, excellent post Gary yes.gif

Now, can we get back to being Stoopid again? wink.gif

smile.gif

WHO THE HELL STARTED THIS WHOLE MASCOT THING ANYWAY ! rage.gif

unsure.gif

tongue.gif

next time im bored and want to start a topic to have some fun for a week , ill try to get my warped mind to think clearly before i act on it . yes.gif

who am i kidding ill probably just post it laugh.gif

p.s. thanks you to all who posted in this thread , the last half hour has been very entertaining. yes.gif

Archived