What are we seeing tonight?

thestand

Since I enjoyed "The Prestige" a friend of mine told me I should see "The Illusionist". So i checked it out from the library.

THE REST OF THIS POST IS ONE BIG SPOILER

Well, I spent the first hour wading through overdone backstory (OK, we got it, they were childhood sweethearts broken up by the evil aristocracy, he disappears and comes back +/-20 years later as a magician... that could have been handled in 5 minutes instead of 20) and generally waiting for something to happen.

So something finally happens... the girl gets killed. The next 40 minutes are quite good... and then blows it at the ending. Surprise! The girl isn't really dead, and the scheming aristocrat is perfectly framed and blows his head off to avoid humiliation. Plus they never explained how the wrong body was ID'd as the girl, and as policeman Paul Giamatti is gazing admiringly at a departing train I was thinking "Hey, remember the innocent goy you scapegoated and threw into prison for this murder that never actually happened? how about moving your ass back to Budapest and straightening that out??

Ed Norton , Rufus Sewell and Giamatti give good performances, but the screenplay let them down IMHO.

I wasn't thrilled with the ending of The Prestige either (Identical twins? Really? Sometimes it's better to just let the "villain" win) , but I was far more entertained along the way and they at bothered to explain the ending .

On a scale from 1-10, Illusionist gets a 6. Prestige gets an 8.

Edited by Pause Rewind Replay

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The other night I caught "Let's Go To Prison" starring Will Arnett (Arrested Development). Kind of stupid, yet I found myself laughing throughout the whole movie.

Tonight, if I can NOT nod off laugh.gif We will watch 2 of the Ripping Yarns. "The testing of Eric Olthwaite" and "The Curse of the Claw". Funny stuff!!! smile.gif

QUOTE (theworkingman @ Apr 20 2008, 08:40 PM)
There will be blood

I've heard its a great movie so I am looking forward to seeing it.

DDL is an amazing actor. That performance rivals De Niro in Raging Bull yes.gif

Tonight is another in the "Yarns" series "Roger of the Raj" Very funny! . Especially the dining room scene.

QUOTE (mazyyz @ May 5 2008, 08:52 PM)
QUOTE (theworkingman @ Apr 20 2008, 08:40 PM)
There will be blood

I've heard its a great movie so I am looking forward to seeing it.

DDL is an amazing actor. That performance rivals De Niro in Raging Bull yes.gif

I watched this movie the other night, and didn't really like it. The performances were excellent. Daniel Day Lewis was extremely convincing. But the story was just too dark and not too believeable. As I watched the movie, I kept asking myself "I wonder when the good part is coming".

I dunno, maybe I missed something? confused13.gif

One thumb up and one thumb down IMO...

This will take the whole weekend. Volume one of a three volume series from PBS called 'Stephen Hawking's Universe'.

I saw it at the library when I took Emmy there for her bi-weekly visit. Had to check it out laugh.gif 653.gif

Volume 2 of "Stephen Hawking's Universe" from PBS.

House tongue.gif