Rosemary's Baby vs. The Exorcist

circumstantial tree

Which is the better ground-breaking horror movie?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the better ground-breaking horror movie?

• Rosemary's Baby (1968)
    • The Exorcist (1973)

Rosemary's Baby was scary in it's own right, but The Exorcist was down right frightening. It was graphic enough to shock even the seasoned horror genre buff.

I voted for The Exorcist.

I too vote for the Exorcist.

However, those familiar with Rosemary's Baby, knows there are a lot of one-liners in the film.

Rosemary: "What have you done to it? What have you done to his eyes, you MANIACS!!!!!"

Roman Castavet: "He has his father's eyes"

and then there's the funniest line in the film by Ruth Gordon (Minnie Castavet):

"Look at it this way. Of all the women in the world, (Satan) chose you to have his only living son."

Always was , always will be the scariest movie ever made.

the exorcist of coarse.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Apr 14 2006, 02:44 PM)
I too vote for the Exorcist.

However, those familiar with Rosemary's Baby, knows there are a lot of one-liners in the film.

Rosemary: "What have you done to it? What have you done to his eyes, you MANIACS!!!!!"

Roman Castavet: "He has his father's eyes"

and then there's the funniest line in the film by Ruth Gordon (Minnie Castavet):

"Look at it this way. Of all the women in the world, (Satan) chose you to have his only living son."

Exorcist for me too!

As a matter of fact ct, about a couple months ago I watched Rosemary's Baby after not seeing it for years and, I do remember the lines you quoted laugh.gif

Doesn't it seem we have the same taste in tv/movies! cool.gif

What is interesting is that the author of "Rosemary's Baby", Ira Levin, has had a lot of his novels turned into films.

"The Stepford Wives" was also a novel by him and was adapted into film. The 1975 original film and then the recent (horrible) remake starring Nicole Kidman.

One thing about the Exorcist. You see kids nowadays who are not fazed by the movie at all. This is probably since it is not a "slasher flick". To me it seems that the movie has a greater impact if you believe in the subject matter(eg. God and Satan). The deeper your faith, it seems the scarier the movie is.

I have to go with the Exorcist as well. First saw it on TV as a young kid. Never saw the uncut version until much later and it scared the hell out of me more than any other movie. Very disturbing images.

Although, I do like Rosemary's Baby as well, but it doesn't have the same lingering effect that the Exorcist does for me.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Apr 14 2006, 03:33 PM)
What is interesting is that the author of "Rosemary's Baby", Ira Levin, has had a lot of his novels turned into films. "The Stepford Wives" was also a novel by him and was adapted into film.

"Deathtrap," with Michael Caine and Christopher Reeve, came from an Ira Levin play. I love that movie.

Definitely the Exorcist. Almost 35 years later, they still haven't made something that gives you chills like that. It's not just the plotline or the special effects, it's in the acting and the direction, and how the story unfolds and hooks you in and doesn't let go. Probably the quintessential horror movie, and I hope in never gets remade (as was talekd about once...)

I saw The Exorcist in a theater a few years ago when it was re-released. It was laugh out loud funny! The movie has not aged very well. As for Rosemary's Baby - it scares the hell out of me to this day! It has the most frightening ending I've ever seen in a movie.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Feb 22 2007, 04:53 PM)
QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Apr 14 2006, 03:33 PM)
What is interesting is that the author of "Rosemary's Baby", Ira Levin, has had a lot of his novels turned into films. "The Stepford Wives" was also a novel by him and was adapted into film.

"Deathtrap," with Michael Caine and Christopher Reeve, came from an Ira Levin play. I love that movie.

The play (Deathtrap) was even better than the movie. I saw it on Broadway with Robert Cullum (sp?) around 1980 or 1981. Scene towards the end made the whole audience jump... wild!

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Feb 23 2007, 07:11 PM)
I saw The Exorcist in a theater a few years ago when it was re-released. It was laugh out loud funny! The movie has not aged very well. As for Rosemary's Baby - it scares the hell out of me to this day! It has the most frightening ending I've ever seen in a movie.

yes.gif

That seems to be a focus of Ira Levin - conspiracy. I've only seen "Stepford Wives" (1975) and "Rosemary's Baby" (1968) and they both have conspiracy involved. Also the main characters are trying to decide if what they experience is an active imagination or something real and diabolical.