Mammograms

blonde77th

Ladies,

If you dont already, please search for news articles on Mammograms this week. A government task force recommended delaying the first one from 40 to 50 years old because of false positives and cost.

Just my opinion, I am extremely at odds in the statistical data used to support this decision (I wont go into detail, but its rubbish IMO), and the role cost played in their recommendation.

I wont preach but will ask that you look at these stories if you can. Government recommendations can affect how your insurance companies cover these diagnostic tests (THATS how this affects you) --- and depending on your opinion, you may want to spread the word to your friends to stay informed of things like this to voice your conerns when necessary/possible.

Here's some stories:

http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&source=h...F-8&sa=N&tab=wn

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Nov 20 2009, 08:31 AM)
Ladies,

If you dont already, please search for news articles on Mammograms this week. A government task force recommended delaying the first one from 40 to 50 years old because of false positives and cost.

Just my opinion, I am extremely at odds in the statistical data used to support this decision (I wont go into detail, but its rubbish IMO), and the role cost played in their recommendation.

I wont preach but will ask that you look at these stories if you can. Government recommendations can affect how your insurance companies cover these diagnostic tests (THATS how this affects you) --- and depending on your opinion, you may want to spread the word to your friends to stay informed of things like this to voice your conerns when necessary/possible.

Here's some stories:

http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&source=h...F-8&sa=N&tab=wn

I think what the government is saying about doing less is absurd.

If I saw it correctly on the news, most of the members on this study panel that came up with these findings were men. Right.

I laughed when I heard this on news damn if I don't go 1x a yr I would of been dead by now wacko.gif Stick with the old ways Ladies 1x ayr starting at 40 or even younger if Breast Cancer runs in the family !! My 2 girls get it 1x a yr now because of me and they ain't even 40 yet . yes.gif

QUOTE (blonde77th @ Nov 22 2009, 01:30 PM)
QUOTE (rushlady23 @ Nov 20 2009, 09:35 AM)
I'm going for my annual "big squeeze" on Monday  eh.gif

Let us know hon new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Hurt like hell, but I'm sure everything's fine. It always is wink.gif

QUOTE (rushlady23 @ Nov 23 2009, 09:44 PM)
QUOTE (blonde77th @ Nov 22 2009, 01:30 PM)
QUOTE (rushlady23 @ Nov 20 2009, 09:35 AM)
I'm going for my annual "big squeeze" on Monday  eh.gif

Let us know hon new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Hurt like hell, but I'm sure everything's fine. It always is wink.gif

applaudit.gif applaudit.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Well most of you that know me well plus my friends & family know I am a Cancer Survivor well check up this morning at the Cancer Clinic went Great Mammo is fine & I have been discharged as 1 of their patients woooo hooooooo I have been clean for 6 yrs smile.gif This can be Beaten !!!!

And for those of you that helped me through that terrible time in my life I will never forget !!!!! wub.gif

Don't forget ladies pls get your yearly mammo's !!

That's fantastic!! cheer.gif

I'm a few months overdue for mine. I'll make my appointment after the tour. Promise.

QUOTE (blonde77th @ Nov 22 2009, 11:28 AM)
I laughed when I heard this on news damn if I don't go 1x a yr I would of been dead by now wacko.gif Stick with the old ways Ladies 1x ayr starting at 40 or even younger if Breast Cancer runs in the family !! My 2 girls get it 1x a yr now because of me and they ain't even 40 yet . yes.gif

Awesome news Blonde! I've got mine scheduled for next week!

That's so awesome. Bless you, blonde77th, for being a cancer survivor. heart.gif

Wow, I just now discovered this thread. I'm assuming mammograms are for women much older than me. I'm only seventeen, so what would I know? laugh.gif

Still, it's a very good idea to know what I should do down the road, and what I may face. yes.gif

QUOTE (NobodysHeroine @ Jun 25 2011, 10:45 AM)
That's so awesome. Bless you, blonde77th, for being a cancer survivor. heart.gif

Wow, I just now discovered this thread. I'm assuming mammograms are for women much older than me. I'm only seventeen, so what would I know? laugh.gif

Still, it's a very good idea to know what I should do down the road, and what I may face. yes.gif

Yes, mammograms are for women older than yourself. While there is some talk of early mammos not being necessary, you should inquire about a baseline mammo when you are 30.

Until then, be sure to make gynecology appointments if you arent already going! You are NOT too young for that. Take good care of your body, respect it and yourself.

QUOTE (blonde77th @ Jun 24 2011, 12:16 PM)
Well most of you that know me well plus my friends & family know I am a Cancer Survivor well check up this morning at the Cancer Clinic went Great Mammo is fine & I have been discharged as 1 of their patients woooo hooooooo I have been clean for 6 yrs smile.gif This can be Beaten !!!!

And for those of you that helped me through that terrible time in my life I will never forget !!!!! wub.gif

Nice to see you, Blondie! And great news about the clean bill of health! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (blonde77th @ Jun 24 2011, 04:16 PM)

hug2.gif Great news, blonde! hug2.gif

Congrats, Blondie!!!!!!!! cheer.gif bncegrn.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif trink39.gif You are an inspiration to us all!!!! yes.gif trink39.gif

bumper.gif

Bumping for reminders to the ladies.

I had a mammogram done two weeks ago and had a call to go in to see the doctor. I'll find out any news on Monday. I'm a little nervous but nothing too bad.

I actually started looking into genetic counseling to see exactly what my odds of developing breast cancer are. I'm very high risk, I know that much.

Anyway, fingers crossed that the news is just something minor. It might just be that they need to do some additional views or something.

Edited by Janie

QUOTE (Janie @ Dec 7 2011, 07:58 PM)
bumper.gif

I had a mammogram done two weeks ago and had a call to go in to see the doctor. I'll find out any news on Monday. I'm a little nervous but nothing too bad.

I actually started looking into genetic counseling to see exactly what my odds of developing breast cancer are. I'm very high risk, I know that much.

Anyway, fingers crossed that the news is just something minor. It might just be that they need to do some additional views or something.

Oh, heck, Janie - hope everything's okay. hug2.gif

QUOTE (Janie @ Dec 7 2011, 01:58 PM)
bumper.gif

Was this your first mammogram?

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Dec 7 2011, 12:04 PM)
QUOTE (Janie @ Dec 7 2011, 01:58 PM)
bumper.gif

Was this your first mammogram?

Oh god no! I can't remember now how many I've had. I had my first one done at the age of 30. I had an ultrasound performed on one breast when I was 28 because of some pain I was feeling. I've had this trouble spot that they've been keeping an eye on. It might just be that something has changed in the trouble spot or maybe they want more views of this particular location.

I hate having to wait on things like this.

I've had scripts written to go, but haven't gone yet.

There is probably more to read on my backside than my frontside laugh.gif

QUOTE (Babycat @ Dec 7 2011, 12:03 PM)
bumper.gif

I'm sure everything will be. I wanted to bump this thread because of the importance of getting tested. Hopefully the lovely gals here have been keeping up on their exams. smile.gif

Honestly, breast cancer has been on my mind for about 15 years now and I'm sick of thinking about it. I want to do the genetic counseling to see what my probability of developing cancer is. I'm assuming it is as high as I've been told.

I already started looking into the option of just being done with the whole thing and going for a double mastectomy with immediate reconstructive surgery. I plan on talking to my doctor about this on Monday.

QUOTE (Janie @ Dec 7 2011, 08:23 PM)
bumper.gif

I'm sure everything will be. I wanted to bump this thread because of the importance of getting tested. Hopefully the lovely gals here have been keeping up on their exams. smile.gif

Honestly, breast cancer has been on my mind for about 15 years now and I'm sick of thinking about it. I want to do the genetic counseling to see what my probability of developing cancer is. I'm assuming it is as high as I've been told.

I already started looking into the option of just being done with the whole thing and going for a double mastectomy with immediate reconstructive surgery. I plan on talking to my doctor about this on Monday.

Lots of hug2.gif s on the way! hug2.gif

QUOTE (Babycat @ Dec 7 2011, 12:31 PM)
QUOTE (Janie @ Dec 7 2011, 08:23 PM)
bumper.gif

Lots of hug2.gif s on the way! hug2.gif

Thanks babycat.

Oddly, I'm not feeling stressed out. We'll see how I feel after Monday's visit though!