The Cycling Thread!

D-13

Its great exercise and your out in the fresh air. Wear a helmet tho !

write!!

Lol, I cracked a helmet a few years ago. I have had three brutal OTB crashes in the past 10 years or so.

Been riding my trails in my yard. stoked that the local trails opened back up. gonna hit them tmmrw or monday. very stoked.

• Like 1

Ride on!

Decent ride today. :smoke: :smoke: :smoke: :smoke: :smoke:

good clean fun. If you keep up with biking at all you know who MVDP is. what an animal. my fave xc rider.

Edited by tangy

rode yesterday and riding tmmrw. good deal.

they say the ideal number of bikes is N + 1, with N being the current number of bikes you own. so even though my new bike is only 6 months old, i am dreaming again.

ride on amigos! get it while you can..............

crashed my new bike for the first time. thankfully a relatively low speed and landing into relatively good place.

its all in the angle of the dangle. most importantly my bike is ok :madra:

I finally decided dust off my bike and ride a few days ago. I've missed how much fun it is to get out on the ride and ride. Im here in South Florida and it's been raining like it's the Amazon rainforest. So yesterday I decided to take short easy ride and it starts to rain in the middle of my ride. There's lightening in the distance but I keep riding when a lightening bolt hits a Royal Palm tree about a hundred yards in front of me. I nearly wet my already wet shorts. I went into high gear to get my ass home, I don't think I've ridden that fast in quite some time. I made it home without anymore drama but that was the second scariest thing that has ever happened to me on a ride.

• Like 1

I finally decided dust off my bike and ride a few days ago. I've missed how much fun it is to get out on the ride and ride. Im here in South Florida and it's been raining like it's the Amazon rainforest. So yesterday I decided to take short easy ride and it starts to rain in the middle of my ride. There's lightening in the distance but I keep riding when a lightening bolt hits a Royal Palm tree about a hundred yards in front of me. I nearly wet my already wet shorts. I went into high gear to get my ass home, I don't think I've ridden that fast in quite some time. I made it home without anymore drama but that was the second scariest thing that has ever happened to me on a ride.

yeah, a nearby lightning strike will get you going in a hurry! second scariest? do tell the most scary if you dont mind.

Ok but not now I want to go hit a few golf balls especially my short game. Most times when I think of I've hard time sleeping. I've had numerous nightmares when the event comes to mind.

Ok, well it was more like a scary day with one situation that was the scariest.

It was late June 1997 Tanqueray Aids Ride NC-DC 362 miles. Day 1 107 miles, somewhere in the North Carolinian hills temps near 100 some 55 miles out. I'm riding a heavy aluminum mountain bike on road tires I spot something on the road just ahead of me. As I get closer I had to make a quick decision swerve right I would've gone down a steep ravine where I was sure to break something. So I swerved left as I did the thing in the road was a snake which I think was a cottonmouth. At the same time it struck at me just below my right ankle bone. For three seconds or so it was stuck to me then flew of somewhere. Adrenaline kicked in as i rode away from the scene in a panic. I stopped a short time later to see the damage. The snakes fangs hit the top of my cycling shoe with some yellow looking fluid on it. I washed it off with water, said a prayer and continued riding.

Same ride around the 82 mile mark I'm hot and very tired. I lost focus as directions at times are painted on the road which I missed and made a wrong turn. I kept riding as things around seemed eerie, overgrown tree canopy made it dark and worse I saw no other riders of the 1200 or so. I stopped as I did a pickup truck pulled up and stopped. I had ridden about 4 miles, I told the guy what had happened he told me a thick southern accent muffled with wad of chewing tobacco, some dripping down his chin said to me put the bike in and I'll take you back where you came from. I did so hesitantly and sat in the truck nervously. As he drove off it hit me this guy could take me somewhere chop me up and NOBODY would know what happened me. I sat up against the door with my hand on the handle. Well he started to talk, asked what I was doing there, I told him we were riding to raise money for Aides research etc. He then said that's a wonderful thing y'all are doing at that point I could finally breathe. I got back to my wrong turn, thanked the man and continued my ride.

I was really scared after that continued to the 96 mile mark but cramps all over my body shut me me down after 13 hours. The things that happened on day one I have not spoken about much at all.

On that same Aides ride on day three though I had the most exhilarating event I've ever had on day 3. Something for another day.

Peace

• Like 2

Ok, well it was more like a scary day with one situation that was the scariest.

It was late June 1997 Tanqueray Aids Ride NC-DC 362 miles. Day 1 107 miles, somewhere in the North Carolinian hills temps near 100 some 55 miles out. I'm riding a heavy aluminum mountain bike on road tires I spot something on the road just ahead of me. As I get closer I had to make a quick decision swerve right I would've gone down a steep ravine where I was sure to break something. So I swerved left as I did the thing in the road was a snake which I think was a cottonmouth. At the same time it struck at me just below my right ankle bone. For three seconds or so it was stuck to me then flew of somewhere. Adrenaline kicked in as i rode away from the scene in a panic. I stopped a short time later to see the damage. The snakes fangs hit the top of my cycling shoe with some yellow looking fluid on it. I washed it off with water, said a prayer and continued riding.

Same ride around the 82 mile mark I'm hot and very tired. I lost focus as directions at times are painted on the road which I missed and made a wrong turn. I kept riding as things around seemed eerie, overgrown tree canopy made it dark and worse I saw no other riders of the 1200 or so. I stopped as I did a pickup truck pulled up and stopped. I had ridden about 4 miles, I told the guy what had happened he told me a thick southern accent muffled with wad of chewing tobacco, some dripping down his chin said to me put the bike in and I'll take you back where you came from. I did so hesitantly and sat in the truck nervously. As he drove off it hit me this guy could take me somewhere chop me up and NOBODY would know what happened me. I sat up against the door with my hand on the handle. Well he started to talk, asked what I was doing there, I told him we were riding to raise money for Aides research etc. He then said that's a wonderful thing y'all are doing at that point I could finally breathe. I got back to my wrong turn, thanked the man and continued my ride.

I was really scared after that continued to the 96 mile mark but cramps all over my body shut me me down after 13 hours. The things that happened on day one I have not spoken about much at all.

On that same Aides ride on day three though I had the most exhilarating event I've ever had on day 3. Something for another day.

Peace

ride faster, i hear banjos! i live in the mtns of nc so i can relate.....

yikes to the snakebit. i have had a few close encounters with snakes on mtn bike trails. once i was a few hours out and ended up next to a huge rattlesnake, as in like 4 feet long who only had one rattle! it sounded like a cricket and was in a blackberry bush next to the trail. thankfully i spotted him as that would of been a difficult rescue.

getting lost kicks in some serious adrenaline, thats for sure.

Horrible crash at the end of stage one of Tour de Pologne today. Fabio Jacobsen is fighting for his life. :(

that sucks. i had not heard that but i just pulled up cycling news and they say he is now stable but in a coma. scary stuff. apparently it was caused by another rider who has apologized.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/jakobsens-condition-described-as-stable-after-overnight-facial-surgery/

i am not a road rider but love watching them race. except for the crashes.

• Like 1

Horrible crash at the end of stage one of Tour de Pologne today. Fabio Jacobsen is fighting for his life. :(

that sucks. i had not heard that but i just pulled up cycling news and they say he is now stable but in a coma. scary stuff. apparently it was caused by another rider who has apologized.

http://www.cyclingne...facial-surgery/

Well, he's out of coma, but he lost all his teeth and can't talk because of all the facial injuries. At least he's alive. :)
  • Like 1

Well, he's out of coma, but he lost all his teeth and can't talk because of all the facial injuries. At least he's alive. :)

yeah, i am glad he survived but thats brutal. i read all the bones in his face are broken. it will be interesting to see happens to the guy who caused it.

i have not watched the crash yet. maybe i will but its something i hate to see. i have had three over the bar crashes mtn biking in the past 10 years. broke helmet etc etc.

every ride you dont crash you are one ride closer to crashing. yikes.

• Like 1

yeah, i am glad he survived but thats brutal. i read all the bones in his face are broken. it will be interesting to see happens to the guy who caused it.

i have not watched the crash yet. maybe i will but its something i hate to see. i have had three over the bar crashes mtn biking in the past 10 years. broke helmet etc etc.

The rule says you can't break your lane in the last 200 meters of the stage. Groenewegen, the man who caused the crash definitely did that. Obviously, he got thrown out of the Tour. Investigation continues while he's crying his eyes out. You can go ahead and watch the crash. Jakobsen disappears right after hitting the barriers. No gore.
  • Like 1

The rule says you can't break your lane in the last 200 meters of the stage. Groenewegen, the man who caused the crash definitely did that. Obviously, he got thrown out of the Tour. Investigation continues while he's crying his eyes out. You can go ahead and watch the crash. Jakobsen disappears right after hitting the barriers. No gore.

holy shit that was a grinder! wow, that was pretty terrible, i guess an attempt to win at any cost? sadly and i guess incredibly the sport is known for riders crashing and then recovering. i got nothing but respect as those guys are tough as nails.

that crash chris froome took last spring was effffing brutal too.

• Like 1

holy shit that was a grinder! wow, that was pretty terrible, i guess an attempt to win at any cost? sadly and i guess incredibly the sport is known for riders crashing and then recovering. i got nothing but respect as those guys are tough as nails.

that crash chris froome took last spring was effffing brutal too.

The way I see it, Groenewegen was afraid Jakobsen was going to overtake him so he made the move to the right, which is illegal. There's even talk about criminal proceedings being taken against him. Thank God they decided to clear the last meters from all the fans behind the barriers or it could've been a massacre. All except that poor referee who was measuring the time. Eyewitnesses told him afterwards that he stopped Jakobsen's flight, which probably helped in the end.
  • Like 1