The Cycling Thread!

D-13

6 hours ago, tangy said:

The tour de France has been awesome this year!

Check it out on peacock.

Not much hope for Majka, 19 minutes and 42 seconds behind. 

Edited by blackhawkrush

On 7/9/2022 at 8:33 PM, blackhawkrush said:

Yeah, that would be tough to overcome. Lol

What a crazy and hard-core  event. Much respect to all involved.  I only mtn bike but love watching TDF. 

There was great mtn biking racing for free on redbull tv thus weekend.  Sick downhill and cross country races. The men's Olympic cross country was intense AF with a mysterious, yet to be explained ending......

Replays are available. Can't recommend redbull enough.  Imo. The best free sports content .

A couple years ago, while listening to/watching the TdF, I wondered, "Why does Phil [Liggett] keep mentioning focaccia?!"  It soon dawned upon me this was how Phil's (and other race announcers) pronunciation of 'Pogačar' initially struck me.  Now my jokes about focaccia being in the yellow jersey, etc., have become a potentially irksome pattern.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, dream & vapour said:

A couple years ago, while listening to/watching the TdF, I wondered, "Why does Phil [Liggett] keep mentioning focaccia?!"  It soon dawned upon me this was how Phil's (and other race announcers) pronunciation of 'Pogačar' initially struck me.  Now my jokes about focaccia being in the yellow jersey, etc., have become a potentially irksome pattern.

Too funny. I can hear Phil saying that.  Phil is great imo. Talk about old school.

Great stage yesterday. Way to go Magnus.

Hoping that Jonas Vinegegaard gets a stage soon.

3 hours ago, tangy said:

Too funny. I can hear Phil saying that.  Phil is great imo. Talk about old school.

Great stage yesterday. Way to go Magnus.

Hoping that Jonas Vinegegaard gets a stage soon.

Your hopes for Vinegegaard were obviously realized, and then some.  He'll be in yellow tomorrow.  Much pain yet ahead.

The French will be energized by Bardet's move to 2nd overall.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dream & vapour said:

Your hopes for Vinegegaard were obviously realized, and then some.  He'll be in yellow tomorrow.  Much pain yet ahead.

The French will be energized by Bardet's move to 2nd overall.

Stoked for Jonas. Much pain ahead indeed. Tomorrow should be great. 

Majka had a big day. He is a beast. Supposedly with mild covid too.

I am a fan of van Der poel so I was sad to see him drop out but not surprised. 

3 hours ago, tangy said:

What a day for Pidcock!

Yes, but I can't help thinking that sometimes other riders 'let' a guy win, because he's not a threat to the leaderboard. One day, winner-take-all races, like world championships, are always more exciting for me. 

• Like 1

On 7/14/2022 at 7:56 PM, blackhawkrush said:

Yes, but I can't help thinking that sometimes other riders 'let' a guy win, because he's not a threat to the leaderboard. One day, winner-take-all races, like world championships, are always more exciting for me. 

I hear you , lots of strategy for the multi stage races.

Still. What pidcock did was incredible. He absolutely railed the downhills. He is the youngest rider to win that stage, which is considered to be among the most difficult climbs in the TDF. And this is first TDF.

Great cross country and downhill racing this weekend on redbull. 

• Like 1

On 7/16/2022 at 8:44 AM, Chicken hawk said:

September10th...coming right up in Old Orchard Beach Maine,  I'm riding in the annual Michael J Fox Parkinson's ride.  Praying for good weather.   

Cool, I think I remember you doing that ride last year.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, blackhawkrush said:

Top 20 finish for Majka still a possibility.  :pirate:  

Yeah, what a crazy day. Seemed like jumbo visma was sloppy from being so tired. Hope steven K is ok.

I guess majka is your fave rider? Who else do you like ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tangy said:

Yeah, what a crazy day. Seemed like jumbo visma was sloppy from being so tired. Hope steven K is ok.

I guess majka is your fave rider? Who else do you like ?

I don't know. I just don't want Pogacar to win. Yugoslavia was nowhere in sports, then they had a civil war and it seemed right after that, these little countries started to, if not dominate, at least challenge for the championship in different sports. I wouldn't be surprised to find out in about ten years that all these ex-Yugo nations found a new method of doping. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, blackhawkrush said:

I don't know. I just don't want Pogacar to win. Yugoslavia was nowhere in sports, then they had a civil war and it seemed right after that, these little countries started to, if not dominate, at least challenge for the championship in different sports. I wouldn't be surprised to find out in about ten years that all these ex-Yugo nations found a new method of doping. 

Had not considered the possibility of doping by Tadej and while I like him, I would prefer someone else to win. If not vinegegaard, then maybe Geraint Thomas.  

It's kinda strange that Roglic is from Slovenia and so is pogacar? I guess anything is possible. 

I gotta think that the better pogacar does. The better majka does as it seems he does a lot work for pogacar? They are on the same team iirc

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tangy said:

Had not considered the possibility of doping by Tadej and while I like him, I would prefer someone else to win. If not vinegegaard, then maybe Geraint Thomas.  

It's kinda strange that Roglic is from Slovenia and so is pogacar? I guess anything is possible. 

I gotta think that the better pogacar does. The better majka does as it seems he does a lot work for pogacar? They are on the same team iirc

Every country should have a civil war if it means getting better at volleyball, ski jumping, cycling, tennis, handball, water polo, soccer, hockey and so on. :wacko:

Sorry to see majka dropped out. He was hammering up one of the steepest sections in front of pogacar, when his chain broke.

Hurt his quad. I was surprised he did not crash and suspect his clipless pedals led to his injury. Bummer.

Wout van aert is imo the most impressive rider in the tour.

Well the mens TDF was awesome! Jonas kicks ass.

Hard to watch the women's tour with all the brutal crashes.

This afternoon at 4:22, it's mens and women's short track cross country mtb race on redbull

Tmmrw it's gonna be a muddy shitfest for the downhill race. 

Sunday it's Olympic cross country.

This weekend is at snowshoe in west Virginia.  Only us stop this year. West Virginia has been getting hammered by rain. Gonna be sick.

Streamed live or catch replay for free on redbull.

More racing on redbull today at 5:20. Live from Quebec!

I have been hurt for the last two months watching people race on TV nursing a hurt back. Brutal

I think I am healed so it's time to make like horse shit and hit the trail!