The Cycling Thread!

D-13

Horrible crash at the end of stage one of Tour de Pologne today. Fabio Jacobsen is fighting for his life. :(

that sucks. i had not heard that but i just pulled up cycling news and they say he is now stable but in a coma. scary stuff. apparently it was caused by another rider who has apologized.

http://www.cyclingne...facial-surgery/

i am not a road rider but love watching them race. except for the crashes.

Well, he's out of coma, but he lost all his teeth and can't talk because of all the facial injuries. At least he's alive. :)

yeah, i am glad he survived but thats brutal. i read all the bones in his face are broken. it will be interesting to see happens to the guy who caused it.

i have not watched the crash yet. maybe i will but its something i hate to see. i have had three over the bar crashes mtn biking in the past 10 years. broke helmet etc etc.

every ride you dont crash you are one ride closer to crashing. yikes.

The rule says you can't break your lane in the last 200 meters of the stage. Groenewegen, the man who caused the crash definitely did that. Obviously, he got thrown out of the Tour. Investigation continues while he's crying his eyes out. You can go ahead and watch the crash. Jakobsen disappears right after hitting the barriers. No gore.

holy shit that was a grinder! wow, that was pretty terrible, i guess an attempt to win at any cost? sadly and i guess incredibly the sport is known for riders crashing and then recovering. i got nothing but respect as those guys are tough as nails.

that crash chris froome took last spring was effffing brutal too.

The way I see it, Groenewegen was afraid Jakobsen was going to overtake him so he made the move to the right, which is illegal. There's even talk about criminal proceedings being taken against him. Thank God they decided to clear the last meters from all the fans behind the barriers or it could've been a massacre. All except that poor referee who was measuring the time. Eyewitnesses told him afterwards that he stopped Jakobsen's flight, which probably helped in the end.

agreed. i hope the referee is ok too.

i rode today and am happy to report i kept it rubber side down!

i am thinking about getting the nbc gold cycling package so i can watch the tour de france and the other UCI events that are blocked on redbull tv here in the states.

redbull shows most x country and downhill events for free.

• Like 1

Horrible crash at the end of stage one of Tour de Pologne today. Fabio Jacobsen is fighting for his life. :(

that sucks. i had not heard that but i just pulled up cycling news and they say he is now stable but in a coma. scary stuff. apparently it was caused by another rider who has apologized.

Well, he's out of coma, but he lost all his teeth and can't talk because of all the facial injuries. At least he's alive. :)

and doing really well. he walk to the ambulance on route to returning to his home country. in surprisingly good shape. like i said those guys are tough

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/fabio-jakobsen-returns-to-netherlands-its-a-miracle-says-team-doctor

and then i just read about the hailstorm pounding these dudes took. yikes. incredible

https://www.cyclingn...and-spectators/

Edited by tangy
  • Like 1

My wife and I have had my bikes forever, though she was never one to really ride in the hills. She was recently given a one-speed cruiser which she just loves. (I put a basket on front, of course)

So, we've been riding around town a lot, but I have to lol while she struggles up the slightest incline. I am wondering why anyone would go from 18 speeds to one by choice. :P

• Like 1

My wife and I have had my bikes forever, though she was never one to really ride in the hills. She was recently given a one-speed cruiser which she just loves. (I put a basket on front, of course)

So, we've been riding around town a lot, but I have to lol while she struggles up the slightest incline. I am wondering why anyone would go from 18 speeds to one by choice. :P

actually she has a 3 speed. sitting, standing and pushing!

i rode a single speed mountain bike for 4 + years. got gears now but can go back to SS if wanted.

a single speed is tougher but will make you a better cyclist IMO. also low maintenance as well.

its a different experience not thinking about gears. something to the extent of riding a bike, not operating a bike.

glad to hear you are out riding. only thing i love more than riding is skiing.

• Like 1

and doing really well. he walk to the ambulance on route to returning to his home country. in surprisingly good shape. like i said those guys are tough

http://www.cyclingne...ays-team-doctor

and then i just read about the hailstorm pounding these dudes took. yikes. incredible

Now I hear the winner of Tour de Pologne fell off a bridge in Italy. I guess he hit some trees on his way down so they're saying he'll be all right. :unsure:
  • Like 1

i rode a single speed mountain bike for 4 + years. got gears now but can go back to SS if wanted.

a single speed is tougher but will make you a better cyclist IMO. also low maintenance as well.

its a different experience not thinking about gears. something to the extent of riding a bike, not operating a bike.

I think of the stuff I tackled as a kid on an old one-speed. Wasn't even a bmx bike. I think I'll stay spoiled. :LOL:
  • Like 1

http://www.cyclingne...ays-team-doctor

Now I hear the winner of Tour de Pologne fell off a bridge in Italy. I guess he hit some trees on his way down so they're saying he'll be all right. :unsure:

another crazy crash!

death on the left and plight on the right.

I think of the stuff I tackled as a kid on an old one-speed. Wasn't even a bmx bike. I think I'll stay spoiled. :LOL:

back when men were men, the tour de france had longer days and everyone rode singlespeeds!

Single Speed Freewheeled / Fixed Gear Bike History

Until 1937, when they were first permitted to use derailleur gears, those giants of men who competed in the Tour de France – and in all other races up to a similar year – rode bikes with just a single gear, that's 34 years from the start of the tour in 1903. Initially, in the case of the Tour until about 1906, they were not permitted to use freewheels, thus rode fixed-gear or fixed-wheel. Whenever the rear wheel was rotating, so the pedals were rotating too. The advent of the freewheel at least allowed the rider some respite from constant pedaling, and helped average speeds increase. However many races were won at very respectable speeds despite the absence of derailleur gears: most riders mounted sprockets of different size on each side of the rear wheel, and could thus change gear by removing the wheel and flipping it over to use the other gear. Later some put double sprockets on one or both sides, and changed gear by manually shifting the chain from one to another. The Tour de France of 1936 was done with a single gear and freewheel with the winner maintaining a 19.3mph average speed, the following year of the tour was the year in which they allowed the use of a derailleur setup and the winner maintained an average speed of 19.7mph both tours were 2700+miles long and had similar mountain stages.

https://hizokucycles.bigcartel.com/single-speed-history

The speeds these TDF riders are riding on their descents are simply scary as well. The fastest decent I've ever had was 57 mph and the whole time I was think my brakes better be able to slow me down. I commend these riders for what they're capable of doing, one slip on places could lead to permanent injury or worse.

Peace

• Like 1

The speeds these TDF riders are riding on their descents are simply scary as well. The fastest decent I've ever had was 57 mph and the whole time I was think my brakes better be able to slow me down. I commend these riders for what they're capable of doing, one slip on places could lead to permanent injury or worse.

Peace

no doubt about it. it kinda makes me nervous watching them descend. 57 MPH is hauling ass.

Peace

no doubt about it. it kinda makes me nervous watching them descend. 57 MPH is hauling ass.

The speed record of 63.1 mph was set last year. Insane.
  • Like 1

Peace

The speed record of 63.1 mph was set last year. Insane.

no doubt . those little wheels on asphalt sketch me out. it seems the speed record for mtn bikers is even higher though.

Rode 3 times this week

All 6 races on redbull kicked ass. Highly recommend

But, no UCI downhill.

Tmmrw is the world's championship.

On redbull everywhere in the world except for USA and Canada.

NBC sports has the rights for that race.

Buzzkill

Anybody see the massive crash caused by a fan with a sign at the Tour de France?

Yes, and flogging would be too good for that careless, selfish, short-sighted t**t who caused the crash. What the hell, people? Sorry if that seems excessive, but this isn't some "accident" or over-enthusiasm like Steve Bartman catching a fly ball. Her actions were deliberate and interfering and showed a total lack of situational awareness or regard.

The Tour says it will sue her when it finds her . . .

• Like 2

Anybody see the massive crash caused by a fan with a sign at the Tour de France?

Yeah, I posted the video in the Facebook thread.

Im riding in the Old Orchard Beach Maine Michael J. Fox Parkinsons ride coming up Sept. 11th. This will be my 8th or 9th year. Great cause !

Good deal . Hope you had a great ride.

Great time of the year to be riding!

Perfect weather. and .the ride is ALWAYS every year , so organized. It was great..thank you Tangy.

Two great cross country races on red bull today. Free and with the replays available if interested. 

Rode 3 times this week. Had to take some time off due to injuries and it's great to get back out.

• Like 1