YYZ Drum Fills

Shranexis0

Hook your electrics up to a sequencer that can output notation (like Cubase), play along and record the midi data then print the transcription. If I had midi drums that's what I'd do.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's funny, they have these really cool devices by Tascam (the guitar & bass trainers)......Why don't they have one for drums yet?

Okay, I don't know if anyone has told you yet, but if you want the fill according to "Drum Techniques of Rush," I have it. The rhythm is 1 beat of sixteenth notes, 2.5 beats of sextuplets, and finally another half-beat of sixteenth notes. The sticking is: lrlr LRLrlR LrlRLr lRLrl. The drums are: SSS1 111 222 233 333 444 44

QUOTE (kazzman @ Mar 18 2006, 03:18 PM)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/076925055...glance&n=283155

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0769250556.01._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_AA240_SH20_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Is that a newer version, Kazz? The older one had mistakes in it. It should suffice. Assuming you know how to read, it will work. Otherwise, you'll have to go by the way I did & pick up live albums study how his hands move & reproduce it that way. Later, I learned how to read & figured it out all over again.

Neil liked using mostly 16th note triplets here. He broke it up & around. I'd have to go back & give you the break down but I'd say that the book my give you the cheat anyway.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ May 10 2006, 07:32 PM)
QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ May 10 2006, 07:01 PM)
Yes, Kirk's sticking does look "correct" to me.

Neil mentions in Anatomy that he would go to trad grip for certain snare paterns because that is how he learned, the end of Xanadu is an example he uses. He seems most comfortable with left handed double strokes that way.

The first solo section in "La Villa" is another place Neil uses traditional grip. On one of the videos you see him switch from matched to traditional just as the quiet double-stroke part comes up.

Neil likes using traditional grip for rudiments & the like. He switched over fully to traditional only for T4E. Later, he switched back.

QUOTE (launchpad67a @ May 10 2006, 03:43 PM)
If I may chime in here. (just my thoughts)
First of all, All tabbed music books are crap unless they are authored by the artist who actually played and wrote the parts. Look at all the lame ass guitar tabs out there that are transcribed so poorly and played by so many hacks in local bars and bedrooms around the world. Why would anyone try to learn from a book written by someone other than the artist who played the parts?? Why would would you believe that some guy knows more than the original artist?
Secondly, what is wrong with simply 'listening' to the song and playing what you hear. If anyone thinks they are a musician, or has a shot at being a good musician, but can't listen to a song a few times and pick up what the artist is playing...you should hang it up now. Musicians taught from books lack feel, emotion, passion and everything else that is (or was) music. Don't get me wrong here, I believe every musician should be able to sight read and have formal training, but your ears are your biggest asset, so use them.

As usual you make some pretty valid points, but also, as usual, you really ought to consider how you come across a bit more

Edited by Fridge

QUOTE (Fridge @ May 6 2009, 08:32 PM)
First of all, All tabbed music books are crap unless they are authored by the artist who actually played and wrote the parts. Look at all the lame ass guitar tabs out there that are transcribed so poorly and played by so many hacks in local bars and bedrooms around the world. Why would anyone try to learn from a book written by someone other than the artist who played the parts?? Why would would you believe that some guy knows more than the original artist?
Secondly, what is wrong with simply 'listening' to the song and playing what you hear. If anyone thinks they are a musician, or has a shot at being a good musician, but can't listen to a song a few times and pick up what the artist is playing...you should hang it up now. Musicians taught from books lack feel, emotion, passion and everything else that is (or was) music. Don't get me wrong here, I believe every musician should be able to sight read and have formal training, but your ears are your biggest asset, so use them.

As usual you make some pretty valid points, but also, as usual, you really ought to consider how you come across a bit more

Your complaining about a 3 year old post? tongue.gif

Edit : I saw the post before you changed the, uhm. Typo, shall we say.

I play songs how I hear them, though I will occasionally look in the tab-book to see someone elses interpretation of it... Usually it ends up as a mix of what I hear, and what I have read.

Edited by Sir Lerxst

QUOTE (Sir Lerxst @ May 6 2009, 08:34 PM)
QUOTE (Fridge @ May 6 2009, 08:32 PM)

Your complaining about a 3 year old post? tongue.gif

Edit : I saw the post before you changed the, uhm. Typo, shall we say.

doh.gif

QUOTE (Fridge @ May 6 2009, 11:32 AM)

I think the message comes through strong and clear. I happen to agree. It's nice to be able to pick up an instrument so one can say "I play..." but to be a musician is to be able to have a core understanding of any piece of music. While launch and I may sometimes come off as harsh, the reality is we do this everyday and put a roof over our heads and food on the table by what we do. So because some guy picks up a guitar with great aspirations and declares himself a musician, it does not make that so. Sorry to burst anyone's bubble.

Another reality is not every good musician is rich and/or famous. Talent does not equate to anything but talent.

Music is a huge industry. Places like GC and MF have made instruments accessible to the masses. This is a double edged sword.

Guys like me, launch, 1-0-0-1, and several others here are extremely driven and passionate about music and gear. It can be irritating to read some threads from "average Joes" who fancy themselves a musician after buying that brand new Squire Strat. While we can appreciate guys who want to play, sometimes we must ride the rookies in order to steer them in the right direction. Call it what you want, tough love or whatever. It's like Bull Durham. We are the Crash Davises. "You don't need a quadraphonic Blaupunkt... What you need is a curveball!"

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ May 6 2009, 08:56 PM)
QUOTE (Fridge @ May 6 2009, 11:32 AM)

I think the message comes through strong and clear. I happen to agree. It's nice to be able to pick up an instrument so one can say "I play..." but to be a musician is to be able to have a core understanding of any piece of music. While launch and I may sometimes come off as harsh, the reality is we do this everyday and put a roof over our heads and food on the table by what we do. So because some guy picks up a guitar with great aspirations and declares himself a musician, it does not make that so. Sorry to burst anyone's bubble.

Another reality is not every good musician is rich and/or famous. Talent does not equate to anything but talent.

Music is a huge industry. Places like GC and MF have made instruments accessible to the masses. This is a double edged sword.

Guys like me, launch, 1-0-0-1, and several others here are extremely driven and passionate about music and gear. It can be irritating to read some threads from "average Joes" who fancy themselves a musician after buying that brand new Squire Strat. While we can appreciate guys who want to play, sometimes we must ride the rookies in order to steer them in the right direction. Call it what you want, tough love or whatever. It's like Bull Durham. We are the Crash Davises. "You don't need a quadraphonic Blaupunkt... What you need is a curveball!"

No, don't really agree with you there.

I would actually consider myself a reasonably competent musician, though I have nowhere near the time to dedicate to it nowadays that I would like.

I certainly don't need to rely on poorly written tabs for sure.

I agree that someone who is arrogant without having the goods to back it up deserves everything they get, but who the hell are you to decide who needs to be "ridden" etc?

Remember, it's only music at the end of the day. much as we may love it, it's not really that important, and sometimes the tone of certain posts leaves a lot to be desired.

QUOTE (Fridge @ May 6 2009, 12:05 PM)
but who the hell are you to decide who needs to be "ridden" etc?

I am the person who was asked to moderate this section because of my knowledge, advice and experience.

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ May 6 2009, 09:58 PM)
QUOTE (Fridge @ May 6 2009, 12:05 PM)
but who the hell are you to decide who needs to be "ridden" etc?

I am the person who was asked to moderate this section because of my knowledge, advice and reputation.

Okay, but I would suggest that it isn't a great style of moderation that you are employing. I'm not questioning your knowledge ( which you have certainly demonstrated) or reputation (though I don't know you from Adam).

It's just that the tone of some of your replies grates on me a bit. Launchpad is the guiltier party in my eyes, but the pair of you do tend to react as if you are working in an incredibly important field such as medical research or something - Music is recreational, and I just think you should remember that before you shoot people down too much.

It's a shame, because you both have a lot of knowledge to offer, and you make some very salient points, but if you were to talk to me like in person like you do some others here, you would get the sharp edge of my tongue for sure.

To me we are being explicit. Sometimes adamant. Sometimes to make a point one needs to be a little hardened.

We have helped a lot of beginners and many moderate players here. But somebody trudged up a 3 year old thread to chastise a respected leading member of this community. Sometimes we get frustrated too. There are ways to learn to make yourself better and there are many ways available to promote sloppy musicianship. By and large tabs and song books by third parties are not very good. If something is supposed to help a player in fact hinders them then it is up to those with knowledge and experience to point that out. If this topic comes up repeatedly (as it does) then it is frustrating for us. Launch took a bunch of crap for another thread with the same exact theme. One can learn more by using their ears rather than tabs, plain and simple.

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ May 6 2009, 10:28 PM)
To me we are being explicit. Sometimes adamant. Sometimes to make a point one needs to be a little hardened.

We have helped a lot of beginners and many moderate players here. But somebody trudged up a 3 year old thread to chastise a respected leading member of this community. Sometimes we get frustrated too. There are ways to learn to make yourself better and there are many ways available to promote sloppy musicianship. By and large tabs and song books by third parties are not very good. If something is supposed to help a player in fact hinders them then it is up to those with knowledge and experience to point that out. If this topic comes up repeatedly (as it does) then it is frustrating for us. Launch took a bunch of crap for another thread with the same exact theme. One can learn more by using their ears rather than tabs, plain and simple.

Right, I'm not going to say any more, as it is your thread to moderate, not mine.

I didn't trudge up the thread, I genuinely didn't rrealise the dates and thought it was new, so apologies for that.

I don't actually disagree with the content of what you say, just the manner in which you say it. Of course you are entirely correct about tablature (by and large) and I very rarely use it myself.

I think I remember the "crap" that Launchpad took, and I think it was because of his attitude, not his "professional" opini9n.

QUOTE (Fridge @ May 6 2009, 04:06 PM)
Music is recreational, and I just think you should remember that before you shoot people down too much.

To somebody like you, yes. But to guys like us, music is anything but recreational. Music is life.

Well, in my opinion (wanted or not), music is always recreational, whether you do it professionally in a band, earning millions of dollars from it, or do it amaturely, earning nothing from it.

QUOTE (kazzman @ May 7 2009, 12:09 PM)
Music is recreational, and I just think you should remember that before you shoot people down too much.

To somebody like you, yes. But to guys like us, music is anything but recreational. Music is life.

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (Fridge @ May 6 2009, 03:32 PM)

This is almost 3 years to the day!! Only off by 4 days....go figure wink.gif

QUOTE (Der Trommler @ May 7 2009, 06:42 PM)
QUOTE (Fridge @ May 6 2009, 03:32 PM)

This is almost 3 years to the day!! Only off by 4 days....go figure wink.gif

And if you read back, I have already aknowledged the mistake......

Someone else resurrected the thread, amd I just assumed it was all 2009. I didn't pay enough attention.

Edited by Fridge

QUOTE (kazzman @ May 7 2009, 05:09 PM)

It still doesn't excuse the harshness of some of the comments.

I thought that was all you were going to say... tongue.gif

Let me put this in a way that perhaps some of you will understand. Recreation is life. Let's break that down. The prefix "re" means to do some thing again, to repeat if you will. The next part is "creation" or making something, such as life. Life is a creation most definitely, as it is referred to so often: i.e "All of Creation." That would mean that recreation is a reinforcement of life.

I take my recreation very seriously. Life is too short to do anything half assed. The fact that I get paid for working with audio toys, um, tools all day is a byproduct of my sincere passion for music and audio and not the other way around. It is not just a job to me.

I also play baseball in a competitive league. Not bad for a guy in his early 40's. I live hard and play hard because I am just that way. Again, sometimes harshness is necessary. The world is not a kind place. Not everything is puppy dogs and pig tails. I would rather suck the marrow out of life than watch life go by politely.

And as far as I can discern the harshness in question was not directed at any person but rather at tabs and third party books. So if anyone feels badly about themselves after reading harsh words about bad tabs and books then perhaps the problem isn't with the person writing the harsh words, but rather the person reading them. I know of one such case that admitted as much in the other thread. We cannot be held responsible for that kind of thing.

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ May 7 2009, 08:27 PM)
I thought that was all you were going to say... tongue.gif

Let me put this in a way that perhaps some of you will understand. Recreation is life. Let's break that down. The prefix "re" means to do some thing again, to repeat if you will. The next part is "creation" or making something, such as life. Life is a creation most definitely, as it is referred to so often: i.e "All of Creation." That would mean that recreation is a reinforcement of life.

I take my recreation very seriously. Life is too short to do anything half assed. The fact that I get paid for working with audio toys, um, tools all day is a byproduct of my sincere passion for music and audio and not the other way around. It is not  just a job to me.

I also play baseball in a competitive league. Not bad for a guy in his early 40's. I live hard and play hard because I am just that way. Again, sometimes harshness is necessary. The world is not a kind place. Not everything is puppy dogs and pig tails. I would rather suck the marrow out of life than watch life go by politely.

And as far as I can discern the harshness in question was not directed at any person but rather at tabs and third party books. So if anyone feels badly about themselves after reading harsh words about bad tabs and books then perhaps the problem isn't with the person writing the harsh words, but rather the person reading them. I know of one such case that admitted as much in the other thread.  We cannot be held responsible for that kind of thing.

Ok, I can see this is going nowhere.....

Suffice to say I don't agree with you on much of this (though it is Launchpad who I feel is the real transgressor here).

Just because YOU take music seriously doesn't give you the right to apply that standard as an absolute.

This here http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?show...0entry1495487

is the kind of arrogance I am talking about. Launch knew damn well that the guy wouldn't have a clue about what he was talking about, and it came across as a bit knobbish actually.

After all, if I use your analogy in my field, I am a skilled Health Professional and have been directly responsible for saving a number of lives with my emergency care expertise. Does this give me the right to diss somone who only has a First Aid certificate? of course not.

Anyway, I shall definitely bow out now and leave the last word to you if you so desire. I will make it clear that I still very much respect yourself and Launchpads professional opinion on musical issues, but I will still have no hesitation in stating my opinion on perceived arrogance.

If you want to ban me from you subforum for this then so be it....

Well, I don't see any arrogance in the thread you just posted. It is direct. He doesn't say anything bad about the person, just the performance, which is valid. Also the initial poster asked for it: "Advice or criticism is appreciated!"

And your analogy is a bit off. Again, if you feel dissed then that is on you, not the guy who is giving dispassionate direct advice. I can see that in your field of health care that a good bed-side manner is necessary, not so in music. However if you were to criticize pamphlets or WebMD that would be a more accurate analogy I think.

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ May 7 2009, 04:06 PM)
Well, I don't see any arrogance in the thread you just posted. It is direct. He doesn't say anything bad about the person, just the performance, which is valid. Also the initial poster asked for it: "Advice or criticism is appreciated!"

And your analogy is a bit off. Again, if you feel dissed then that is on you, not the guy who is giving dispassionate direct advice. I can see that in your field of health care that a good bed-side manner is necessary, not so in music. However if you were to criticize pamphlets or WebMD that would be a more accurate analogy I think.

The problem is that music is subjective, health care objective. It's something someone can do as a recreation whereas you can't do that with healthcare. Apples & oranges here. Maybe using a sport is more in order?

It's like saying, 'I like to do surgery on the side.' It's a bit different.

Anyway, that's my two cents worth. Carry on biggrin.gif

I don't know about that.

Two words: Tae Bo

One could argue that work out videos are a form of recreational health care.