Black White - Changing Races

rushgoober

Last night was the preimere episode of Black White on the FX network. I only knew about it because they had been heavily advertising it on UPN.

Anyway, the show takes two families (one black, one white) and through makeup, wigs, etc., transforms them into the other race so they can see what life is like from the other side.

The makeup, etc. is amazingly effective, and they film them in situations (sometimes using hidden cameras) where NO one has any idea, and the results are so far very fascinating. Add to that the fact that they're having all 3 families (6 people) living in the same house and talking to each other about race and what they learn or are trying to learn while all this is going on, and this makes for fascinating and very illuminating television.

Produced partially by Ice Cube, this show I hope gets the attention it deserves, because it's quite eye-opening, and I can only imagine will get more and more intense as it goes on.

Check it out if you can - 10 p.m. Wednesday nights on FX.

Very very good. I'll have to watch the repeat though, as I was in and out. The most convincing is the white daughter. When she first walked into the room as a black woman, I had no idea it was her. Very good.

Even though I hate reality shows I'd check this one out once. Still, no amount of kick ass makeup will make one know what it's like to be another race. Sounds like a gimmick. Or better yet, it sounds like that movie SOUL MAN with C.Thomas Howell and James Earl Jones. tongue.gif

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Mar 9 2006, 08:45 AM)
Even though I hate reality shows I'd check this one out once.  Still, no amount of kick ass makeup will make one know what it's like to be another race.

While that's true, there are things like a white man walking down the street and shopping where everyone thinks he's a black man and seeing how he's treated differently. Then there's a black man who dressed as a white man got a job as a bartender in a very white neighborhood and heard people talking about black people while they thought he was white. I think it will certainly give these people at least a sense of what it's like anyway, more so than just hearing people talk about race. It's definitely a pretty radical concept anyway...

Edited by rushgoober

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Mar 9 2006, 05:41 PM)
Even though I hate reality shows I'd check this one out once.  Still, no amount of kick ass makeup will make one know what it's like to be another race.

While that's true, there are things like a white man walking down the street and shopping where everyone thinks he's a black man and seeing how he's treated differently. Then there's a black man who dressed as a white man got a job as a bartender in a very white neighborhood and heard people talking about black people while they thought he was white. I think it will certainly give these people at least a sense of what it's like anyway, more so than just hearing people talk about race. It's definitely a pretty radical concept anyway...

This is a very interesting concept for a programme. I hope they do a Uk version, or we at least get to see the US one yes.gif

Edited by ABZ Highlander

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Mar 10 2006, 02:41 AM)

True. It seems like this would better be suited to HBO where they wouldn't have to worry so much about censoring stuff. I think some situations have the potential to get RAW. And it should be filmed and kept as such. I wish I could watch this (don't have access out here).

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Mar 9 2006, 09:41 AM)

A concept that Eddie Murphy originally thought up for SNL over 20 years ago, lol. Seriously though, it is actually a good idea for a show, and an interesting direction, but I kinda feel that they are overdramatizing the cultural divide between blacks and whites, especially with so many other minorities on the rise. Then again that could just be my reaction from living in San Francisco, where ethnic culture is so much more diverse then most other regions of the US.

QUOTE (Moonraker @ Mar 10 2006, 09:20 AM)

A concept that Eddie Murphy originally thought up for SNL over 20 years ago, lol. Seriously though, it is actually a good idea for a show, and an interesting direction, but I kinda feel that they are overdramatizing the cultural divide between blacks and whites, especially with so many other minorities on the rise. Then again that could just be my reaction from living in San Francisco, where ethnic culture is so much more diverse then most other regions of the US.

Yah, I hear ya. It doesn't seem like a new concept. But, still a bit interesting. Maybe I'm even more interested simply because I'm neither black nor white.

On a side and somewhat related note, in the states I've never been considered by others as a 'Floridian' or 'Oregonian' (places I grew up/lived...and a more suitable classification in my opinion). I've always been broken down into my race: Folks ask, "Are you Chinese? Vietnamese? Thai? Filipino?, etc." I've heard every asian nation mentioned in relation to me. It doesn't bother me. I just usually tell them the truth: I was born in Rhode Island and grew up in Florida then later moved to Oregon. That generally confuses the crap out of them. Now that I'm not in the states I'm classified as an 'American' and am rarely questioned about the race thing. Hmmm...

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Mar 9 2006, 04:14 PM)
True.  It seems like this would better be suited to HBO where they wouldn't have to worry so much about censoring stuff.  I think some situations have the potential to get RAW.

Actually, much to the credit of the FX network, the show was MA - L (mature, language), and there was a fair amount of swearing. The white guy used the "n-word" way too liberally in his talking about race with the black family. Every time he said it, it was like someone poured cold water on Robin and I as we would be shocked and would actually physically react. You'd have to see the show to see the context for it, but my point is the show is very honest and somewhat graphic.

Edited by rushgoober

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Mar 10 2006, 10:11 AM)
QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Mar 9 2006, 04:14 PM)
True.  It seems like this would better be suited to HBO where they wouldn't have to worry so much about censoring stuff.  I think some situations have the potential to get RAW.

Actually, much to the credit of the FX network, the show was MA - L (mature, language), and there was a fair amount of swearing. The white guy used the "n-word" way too liberally in his talking about race with the black family. Every time he said it, it was like someone poured cold water on Robin and I as we would be shocked and would actually physically react. You'd have to see the show to see the context for it, but my point is the show is very honest and somewhat graphic.

Wow. I've never seen the FX network. I didn't know that swearing was allowed. As you know Goobs I haven't seen much of tv in the states over the last 4-5 years so I have no idea what's tolerated these days. The more I think about it the more interesting it gets.

FX is definitely the one that pushes the boundaries on language. I remember when the god before god damn wasn't bleeped on FX,and thought that was pushing the envelope. Now shit is in every show, and the n-word isn't bleeped.

QUOTE (Moonraker @ Mar 9 2006, 06:20 PM)

I'm pretty sure 'Watermelon Man" got to it before Eddie Murphy.

I'm interested to see if the white folks made up to be black will hear white folks being talked about by the black folks. Works both ways you know, though I somehow doubt that would make it to the screen.

QUOTE (Weakly Criminal @ Mar 10 2006, 10:07 PM)
QUOTE (Moonraker @ Mar 9 2006, 06:20 PM)

I'm pretty sure 'Watermelon Man" got to it before Eddie Murphy.

I'm interested to see if the white folks made up to be black will hear white folks being talked about by the black folks. Works both ways you know, though I somehow doubt that would make it to the screen.

It DOES work both ways and both sides are represented. With a producer like Ice Cube, who seems pretty burtally honest, I'd be surprised if this show was trying to sugarcoat anything, in fact, I the whole purpose of it seems to be as brutally honest as possible in showing what it can about race. I hope people watch it to see for themselves. Apparently it's only a 6-episode series.

QUOTE (thestand @ Mar 13 2006, 07:20 AM)
I think it's pretty obvious they got a normal black family and a steriotypically white family. Other then the daughter, the white family feels really corny.

I'm hoping they do this again afterwards with different families, as I'm sure each time it will be very different using different people...