Official Dream Theater Thread

Tick

I woke up with Peruvian Skies playing in my head for some reason. So I had to listen to it...first time in ages. Had to chase it with some Hell's Kitchen/Lines in the Sand.

Who else loves Falling into Infinity?

Compared to a majority of the post-Octavarium albums, yeah I like Falling Into Infinity. Trial Of Tears is up their as one of their best songs period IMO. Possibly my favorite song I've heard live. Peruvian Skies, Hell's Kitchen/Lines In The Sand, New Millennium, and Just Let Me Breathe are great songs. Songs like You Not Me and Take My Pain Away though I can live without though.

• Like 1

http://www.heavyblogisheavy.com/2016/01/21/dream-theater-the-astonishing/

I just found this review! It seems to confirm many of our already voiced lower expectations, with a few good points to boot!

I just found this review! It seems to confirm many of our already voiced lower expectations, with a few good points to boot!

Thanks for post. But i hate critics, honestly if they hate i will probably love it lol. But like said its almost impossible not to be to long

• Like 1

Thanks for post. But i hate critics, honestly if they hate i will probably love it lol. But like said its almost impossible not to be to long

http://www.heavyblog...he-astonishing/

The problem with critic reviews of music is that they usually just listen to an album once or twice and that's it. They really don't give themselves a chance to digest the whole thing. So, sometimes you get negative reviews. An album this long, is like eating two double cheeseburgers and a plate full of fries. It's gonna take a while to digest. Often times critics don't allow that to happen before they write reviews.

Still, this review confirms some of the fears I have about this album.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 2

The problem with critic reviews of music is that they usually just listen to an album once or twice and then write their review. They really don't give themselves a chance to digest the whole thing. So, sometimes you get bad reviews. An album this long, is like eating two double cheeseburgers and a plate full of fries. It's gonna take a while to digest.

The review sort of acknowledged this though.

And critics are often fans too, especially on small websites and blogs. No different to us sharing our opinions on release day, to be fair.

The problem with critic reviews of music is that they usually just listen to an album once or twice and then write their review. They really don't give themselves a chance to digest the whole thing. So, sometimes you get bad reviews. An album this long, is like eating two double cheeseburgers and a plate full of fries. It's gonna take a while to digest.

And critics are often fans too, especially on small websites and blogs. No different to us sharing our opinions on release day, to be fair.

That's true about them being fans as well. But I usually try to avoid giving in depth reviews of albums until i've heard them a handful of times. There's been a lot of albums i've heard that I didn't care for on the first couple listens but then by the fifth and sixth listens i'm loving it.

Whether you're a fan or not, sometimes that initial reaction isn't always a favorable one.

• Like 1

That's true about them being fans as well. But I usually try to avoid giving in depth reviews of albums until i've heard them a handful of times. There's been a lot of albums i've heard that I didn't care for on the first couple listens but then by the fifth and sixth listens i'm loving it.

Whether you're a fan or not, sometimes that initial reaction isn't always a favorable one.

I agree. I just wanted to read an initial reaction, and I have read two now. This was negative, another was overwhelmingly positive. Taste comes into play, and the one thing being excessively praised is Labrie's vocals, with one review saying they dominate more than the virtuoso musicianship. Which is fine by me, if he really is as great as they claim!

No one seems to have much good to say about the drumming though.

OK just replayed Gift Of Music.

The drums sound like a drum machine.

It's pretty rubbish, but then again maybe in context this song will sound great.

More like a modernized version of the Images and Words drum trigger sound.

I listened to the new song released today. Predictable, regurgitating, and samey is what I'd describe it. And I'll just leave it at that.

SAME-Y is a good adjective. Like when the new song started it just reminded me of their last few albums, at least sonically. Same 5 guys.

By contrast, SFAM, 6DOIT, and ToT (3 other consecutive albums) sound NOTHING alike. Same 5 guys there too.

And you can't even blame Roadrunner because SC and BC don't sound like the new stuff either.

The problem with critic reviews of music is that they usually just listen to an album once or twice and that's it. They really don't give themselves a chance to digest the whole thing. So, sometimes you get negative reviews. An album this long, is like eating two double cheeseburgers and a plate full of fries. It's gonna take a while to digest. Often times critics don't allow that to happen before they write reviews.

True. To think that I didn't really like Primus' Frizzle Fry for a long time either, but after many listens...

Damn it's one of their best by far.

Gotta' love the growers.

I've said this before.......i may not like it on first listen......or within a year.......but i know I will like it eventually. Because DT Is the only band i've listened to where i now like every single album.

How's that for being positive? lol

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 1

WOW no Myung and the guy is all over Mangini and not for that crappy drum sound this time.

They pulled an Injustice for All.. with Myung!

And after how good his bass sounded and was mixed in the last one too.

This album is terrific!

I cannot wait to have the lyrics in front of me, and I definitley want to get into the whole concept!

• Like 2

First impressions:

Not too technical. This is a plus, the songs speak for themselves.

Labrie...better than ever

The concept genuinely sounds fully fleshed out and, lyrically, I am hearing a lot of depth

Production is clean, but less "sterile"

Mangini doesn't show off. Why is this a bad thing? It sounds more like a band effort than ever! And again, Labrie...sounds...phenomenal

The melodies are strong, this album is going to be a grower, but they have made it accessible for an album of this length and magnitude.

• Like 2

First impressions:

The concept genuinely sounds fully fleshed out and, lyrically, I am hearing a lot of depth

Mangini doesn't show off. Why is this a bad thing? It sounds more like a band effort than ever! And again, Labrie...sounds...phenomenal

The melodies are strong, this album is going to be a grower, but they have made it accessible for an album of this length and magnitude.

Are we listening to the same album? This thing sounds like tired (and trite) borrowed concepts and rehashed material.

I'm siding this these guys, *maybe* a handful of decent tracks (at best *decent*):

Dream Theater ran out of fresh ideas and, more importantly, inspiration several albums ago.

Edited by stoopid
  • Like 1

First impressions:

Are we listening to the same album? This thing sounds like tired (and trite) borrowed concepts and rehashed material.

I'm siding this these guys, *maybe* a handful of decent tracks (at best *decent*):

I think we are...I love this, but bear in mind we most likely have very different tastes.