Official Dream Theater Thread

Tick

I've just started getting into these guys (mainly posting in the Mick/Segue thread cause they're doing it too) and have been going backwards, and just finished Systematic Chaos a few times tonight. Initial impressions...

Self titled is very good.

ADToE needs more listens. I left slightly underwhelmed but I feel I didn't give half the songs on there enough times around.

Black Clouds and Silver Linings is amazing throughout.

Systematic Chaos...I don't know what they were smoking when they wrote half the songs on here. Some songs are great, while others left me scratching my head.

Systematic Chaos was FUN! Not sure if it is great or bad, or both...but I really enjoyed it!

• Like 2

Has anyone heard the authorized cover bootlegs?

Number if the beast, dark side of the moon etc?

Some songs here and there...I get why Portnoy insisted on why they done it, and it was a "nice try" for the band, but it was a "highlight" of their "lame period" (as far as their setlist for certain cities where they play 2 nights in a row go) IMO.

I saw them do Purple´s Made in Japan, and would have taken another set of DT songs any day over the covers. It´s ok to do one or two covers, but a whole album by another band was too much to take. Especially when LaBrie messed up so much. With that said, the studio covers they did were great. Black Clouds has a bonus disc with some awesome covers: Queen´s Tenement Funster/Flick of the Wrist/Lilly of the Valley, Maiden´s To Tame a Land, and a bunch of others.

• Like 1

SC Has jumped to number 4 in my top five DT albums. Incredibly fun, bat shit insane record.

Mick

What else rounds out your top 5?

Mine would probably be:

SFAM

6DOIT

Octavarium

Awake

I&W

But really, these could be a 5 way tie for #1 at any time.

• Like 1

SC Has jumped to number 4 in my top five DT albums. Incredibly fun, bat shit insane record.

Mick

Mine would probably be:

SFAM

6DOIT

Octavarium

Awake

I&W

1. SFAM

2. Octavarium

3. Six Degrees

4. SC

5. Black Clouds and Silver Linings

The last to really have been raised in my eyes recently.

Mick

• Like 1

Has anyone heard the authorized cover bootlegs?

Number if the beast, dark side of the moon etc?

they're pretty lame. neat idea that portnoy took from phish, oddly enough, but none of the albums they covered really sounded right for DT

systematic chaos sounds like avenged sevenfold with 20 minute songs

Bathory this is so spot on it hurts hahaha!

Explains why it I found it so rubbish but guiltily enjoyable!

• Like 1

I don't know in what order my top 5 DT albums are, but my 5 favorites are SFAM, Six Degrees, Octavarium, Awake and I&W (what a surprise :eyeroll:).

Everything from Systematic Chaos onward has been a complete hit or miss (save for 1 or 2 songs at the most) for me. That said, I disliked the last two Portnoy albums as a whole. Out of 13 songs on those two albums combined (I included both parts of In The Presence of Enemies together as a single song) I genuinely enjoyed < (less than or equal to) half of them, and I found A Dramatic Turn Of Events to be an okay but forgettable album save for the 10+ minute epics (Breaking All Illusions being the best song on the album). Self-Titled was the only post-Octvarium album that I enjoyed as a whole. Admittedly, this band's favorability for me has fallen down in the past two years since I saw them, but I'm definitely looking forward to The Astonishing but I'm going into this album with neutral expectations.

Edited by PolarizeMe

Systematic Chaos was FUN! Not sure if it is great or bad, or both...but I really enjoyed it!

Dark Eternal Night is as classic as Prog Metal gets. I enjoy Constant Motion as well, for that in your face nerd metal thing they can do very well (but not so well post-Portnoy). The rest I can pretty much do without, and haven't listened to the whole album in years(?).

Edited by stoopid
  • Like 1

Mick

Mine would probably be:

SFAM

6DOIT

Octavarium

Awake

I&W

1. SFAM

2. Octavarium

3. Six Degrees

4. SC

5. Black Clouds and Silver Linings

The last to really have been raised in my eyes recently.

Mick

The Count of Tuscany is really something, isn't it? What an epic!

• Like 2

I posted this over in the Mick and Segue thread, so i'll put it here as well.

The love for Octavarium I find odd. As I would probably rank it last in my Dream Theater albums. I think it's the most inconsistant album they've released.

The Root Of All Evil - Great opening track. One of the highlights when I saw them on the Dramatic Turn tour.

The Answer Lies Within - Boring. Song plods along and goes nowhere. Both musically and melodically there are no hooks at all.

These Walls - Another excellent tune. I'm surprised it took a few tours for it to get a regular spot in the set.

I Walk Beside You - Along with You Not Me, easily the worst song they've ever recorded.

Panic Attack - Another top notch tune. Seen them do it live a few times and it rocks the house.

Never Enough - Top five worst song they've ever recorded.

Sacrificed Sons - See my feelings on track two.

Octavarium - Brilliant song. One of their better overall compositions.

After listening to the album in full yesterday for the first time in a number of years, I was curious to see if my opinion on the tracks i've never cared for have changed. Well, they haven't. I still think this album is half brilliant, half terrible.

This album is Dream Theater's Roll The Bones.

Edited by J2112YYZ

Dark Eternal Night is as classic as Prog Metal gets. I enjoy Constant Motion as well, for that in your face nerd metal thing they can do very well (but not so well post-Portnoy). The rest I can pretty much do without, and haven't listened to the whole album in years(?).

Constant Motion is one of my favourite DT songs. Dark Eternal Night is excellent.

The rest of the album ranges from the atrocious to woefully bad, but guiltily enjoyable.

If a friend walked in and heard me listening to In The Presence Of Enemies pt 2, and heard those lyrics, I would be embarrassed.

Systematic Chaos is actually pretty embarrassing itself. I really liked it until I listened to the lyrics to many of the songs. Wow...and musically, its good but also, plenty of terrible moments.

The "Muse" song is absolutely hideous.

Systematic Chaos is a serious WTF moment for DT from what I've heard. I enjoy In The Presence of Enemies, Constant Motion, and The Ministry of Lost Souls.

The rest of it seems pretty forced, and Prophets of War is ripped off of Black Holes and Revelations :LOL:

I've only heard the last 5 albums since I'm going backwards and so far it's like this:

1. Octavarium

2. Black Clouds and Silver Linings

3. Dream Theater

4. A Dramatic Turn of Events (this one needs more listens)

5. Systematic Chaos

Systematic Chaos is a serious WTF moment for DT from what I've heard. I enjoy In The Presence of Enemies, Constant Motion, and The Ministry of Lost Souls.

The rest of it seems pretty forced, and Prophets of War is ripped off of Black Holes and Revelations :LOL:

I could listen too it again, but its honestly a really bad album! I was for a second in love with it, but its genuinely bad in places. Too many places. That last song...ouch it was grotesque!

Constant Motion however, now THAT is a great song!

Octavarium is slipping, slightly. No real filler, but two songs that come close to being so.

SFAM is a masterpiece. It drags you in slowly, and then it just keeps getting better!

1 - Images

2 - Awake

3 - Dream Theater

4 - Scenes

5 - Six Degrees

6 - Octavarium

7 - Falling into Infinity

7 - Systematic Chaos

8 - Black Clouds

9 - ADTOE

10 - When Dream and Day Unite

• Like 1

Your top five are correct, Rod ;)

I would put them in a slightly different order:

Scenes

Images & Words

Awake

Six Degrees

Dream Theater

These five albums are untouchable in my book.

After this I would have to think about the order a little bit more. Dramatic Turn would probably be next.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 1

Going to chicago show

Hope you like the new album a lot then. They are playing all 2HRS AND 15 MINS of it live ;)

They'll probably throw in a few old songs to close out the show. So, on the upside you'll get to see a headliner play close to three hours. But if you don't care for the new stuff, it will be a tough show to get through.

• Like 2

Going to chicago show

Hope you like the new album a lot then. They are playing all 2HRS AND 15 MINS of it live ;)

They'll probably throw in a few old songs to close out the show. So, on the upside you'll get to see a headliner play close to three hours. But if you don't care for the new stuff, it will be a tough show to get through.

I hope i like it too lol...

I never seen them so either way im good

If it really sucks i can dump then on stubhub i guess lol

1 - Images

2 - Awake

3 - Dream Theater

4 - Scenes

5 - Six Degrees

6 - Octavarium

7 - Falling into Infinity

7 - Systematic Chaos

8 - Black Clouds

9 - ADTOE

10 - When Dream and Day Unite

Yeah. Images to me is the one disc where they at their youthful peak. It stands above everything else they have done.

I remember watching headbangers ball and saying who the fukk are these guys.

I also remember a year or two later seeing lie on headbangets ball and saying where the ffukk is kevin moore!

• Like 1

Yeah. Images to me is the one disc where they at their youthful peak. It stands above everything else they have done.

I remember watching headbangers ball and saying who the fukk are these guys.

I also remember a year or two later seeing lie on headbangets ball and saying where the ffukk is kevin moore!

Although I describe myself as a "fan since Images", it was really "Awake" that sealed it for me. Images was a bit too nerdy, and I think the kind of experimentation and heavier edge on Awake appeals to me more. Awake and SFaM are easily #1 & 2, everything else falls into order depending on my mood. I rarely listen to Images though, so probably not a top 5 album. Train of Thought might be #3. There's a lot of decently written lyrics and some solid metal on that album. IMO one of their more consistent albums from beginning to end. ToT has a lot of Portnoy's fingerprints on it, including several personal recovery songs that I think were well executed. Aside from In the Name of God, every song has some stellar moments. If they removed the lyrics, I'd even like the music for itNoG. Above all, ToT (as well as Awake) has aged well which can't be said of all their material. Still as kick ass today as when I first heard it.

Edited by stoopid
  • Like 1

I posted this over in the Mick and Segue thread, so i'll put it here as well.

The love for Octavarium I find odd. As I would probably rank it last in my Dream Theater albums. I think it's the most inconsistant album they've released.

The Root Of All Evil - Great opening track. One of the highlights when I saw them on the Dramatic Turn tour.

The Answer Lies Within - Boring. Song plods along and goes nowhere. Both musically and melodically there are no hooks at all.

These Walls - Another excellent tune. I'm surprised it took a few tours for it to get a regular spot in the set.

I Walk Beside You - Along with You Not Me, easily the worst song they've ever recorded.

Panic Attack - Another top notch tune. Seen them do it live a few times and it rocks the house.

Never Enough - Top five worst song they've ever recorded.

Sacrificed Sons - See my feelings on track two.

Octavarium - Brilliant song. One of their better overall compositions.

After listening to the album in full yesterday for the first time in a number of years, I was curious to see if my opinion on the tracks i've never cared for have changed. Well, they haven't. I still think this album is half brilliant, half terrible.

This album is Dream Theater's Roll The Bones.

I totally agree with your assessment of Never Enough, but the rest are really good to great songs (including the U2 jam lol).