Official Dream Theater Thread

Tick

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jun 18 2012, 08:43 AM)
Nice , glad you had a good time. I don't know what the hell they are thinking booking some of these places. The show in NJ is prob gonna be very embarrassing for them . I am not really in the Portnoy Who? camp , he is missed, the shows are very safe now . I loved going to shows and not knowing what they would play, that ain't happening anymore . I think Mangini is a Great drummer but Mike is Mike and i hope he comes back someday . People have always said Portnoy was full of himself but has anyone ever read an interview with Mangini in the last year ? Full blown ego this guy has , some shit that has come out of his mouth never came out of Portnoys laugh.gif

Why they're getting booked at these bigger places is a mystery to me to. My nephew was at the show in Rochester they played on friday. They played a general admission venue that has about a 6,000 person capacity and he said only about 1,000 showed at that show to. The venue is nice, I saw Judas Priest there last november with BLS and The Thin Lizzy tribute band and they got probably between 4,000 - 5,000. I thought it was strange that Dream Theater was being booked at such a big venue when I heard about it. The other times i've seen them headline they played in front of no more than maybe 1,000 -1,500 people. I don't think it has anything to do with Portnoy leaving since from what i've seen they're drawing the same amount of people to their shows with or without him.

Edited by J2112YYZ

QUOTE (RodrigoAltaf @ Jun 18 2012, 08:58 AM)
Btw, what was it that Mangini said in intervews that came across as arrogant to you? I honestly haven't noticed...maybe I didn't see these interviews or missed the context?

He says in many interviews how he knew he would get the gig because he gets every gig he ever tried out for . I read stuff where it sounds like he thinks the drummers that tried out for the job were not as good as him which to me is Bullshit. Marco or Lang are off the charts and imo better than Mangini , i said it before and i will say it agian, Mike got the gig because he had the "Look" and someone like Marco looks like he should be working in Starbucks

Edited by metaldad

QUOTE (RodrigoAltaf @ Jun 18 2012, 08:52 AM)
ohmy.gif ohmy.gif They played A Fortune in LIes!?!?!!?!?!? ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

Like I said before, I'll catch them in Rio in a few months...hopefully this one will still be on the set!

yes.gif

There's a good chance you'll get to hear it. The song has been a regular for the 2012 tour so far.

Nice , glad you had a good time. I don't know what the hell they are thinking booking some of these places. The show in NJ is prob gonna be very embarrassing for them . I am not really in the Portnoy Who? camp , he is missed, the shows are very safe now . I loved going to shows and not knowing what they would play, that ain't happening anymore . I think Mangini is a Great drummer but Mike is Mike and i hope he comes back someday . People have always said Portnoy was full of himself but has anyone ever read an interview with Mangini in the last year ? Full blown ego this guy has , some shit that has come out of his mouth never came out of Portnoys laugh.gif

I know what you're sayin, man... wink.gif

I'm going to see them friday with a big group of people. I think this is about the first time they ever played the state theater (fillmore) on a friday. should be fun...

QUOTE (the masked drummer @ Jun 18 2012, 09:19 AM)

I know what you're sayin, man... wink.gif

I'm going to see them friday with a big group of people. I think this is about the first time they ever played the state theater (fillmore) on a friday. should be fun...

Have a great time trink39.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jun 18 2012, 09:12 AM)
QUOTE (RodrigoAltaf @ Jun 18 2012, 08:58 AM)
Btw, what was it that Mangini said in intervews that came across as arrogant to you? I honestly haven't noticed...maybe I didn't see these interviews or missed the context?

He says in many interviews how he knew he would get the gig because he gets every gig he ever tried out for . I read stuff where it sounds like he thinks the drummers that tried out for the job were not as good as him which to me is Bullshit. Marco or Lang are off the charts and imo better than Mangini , i said it before and i will say it agian, Mike got the gig because he had the "Look" and someone like Marco looks like he should be working in Starbucks

I've never heard hom say that...and to be honest, just by the small clips we saw of the auditions, I'd say Marco and Lang were my preferred choices. But it's SO true what you said about looks. Also, even though they called Lang and Achilles, I doubt they would invite someone who's not American to join the band.

And yes, Marco Minneman totally looks like he should work for Starbucks! rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

QUOTE (Ovningskora @ Jun 20 2012, 08:53 AM)
Lost not forgotten is my favorite song from this newest album, I am pretty sure.

Been mine since day 1 and still the Only song i listen too

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jun 20 2012, 06:55 AM)
QUOTE (Ovningskora @ Jun 20 2012, 08:53 AM)
Lost not forgotten is my favorite song from this newest album, I am pretty sure.

Been mine since day 1 and still the Only song i listen too

1022.gif

the chorus's drumming is really fun to listen to. Overall just a kick ass DT instant classic.

QUOTE (the masked drummer @ Jun 22 2012, 07:29 AM)
Got 2nd row lower bowl for tonight. $20/ticket on Cl

Let us know the Attendance , i don't think they are doing that well . Have fun 1022.gif

Looks like the set is gonna be consistant on this leg of the tour. I sure hope they change up the set a bit during one of the two shows at the Paramount Theater if they do film the DVD there.

I'll never understand why some fans are so in favor of a band switching up a set every night? If you're not attending every show then what's it matter if they don't rotate anything? I for one am glad they aren't changing anything since that means I got the same show everyone else does. I would be upset if I saw they did 6:00 and Surrounded at one show, then at mine I got some garbage songs like Never Enough or Prophets Of War in their place instead. Dream Theater not changing the set means everyone who sees them this tour gets the same show and has to suffer through hearing The Dark Eternal Night just like I did.

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jun 22 2012, 07:31 AM)
QUOTE (the masked drummer @ Jun 22 2012, 07:29 AM)
Got 2nd row lower bowl for tonight.  $20/ticket on Cl

Let us know the Attendance , i don't think they are doing that well . Have fun 1022.gif

Alright,

Thanks, metaldad. I have mixed emotions about the future of the band. In the beginning I didn't think MP was replaceable, but MM had me thinking everything was going to be fine. Now that I hear crowds are dwindling, I'd have to say people might now miss the "star" of the show, old Mikey.

I'll let you guys know about the crowd. I'll try to take a pic or two also, like last time...

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Jun 22 2012, 09:34 AM)
I'll never understand why some fans are so in favor of a band switching up a set every night? If you're not attending every show then what's it matter if they don't rotate anything? I for one am glad they aren't changing anything since that means I got the same show everyone else does. I would be upset if I saw they did 6:00 and Surrounded at one show, then at mine I got some garbage songs like Never Enough or Prophets Of War in their place instead. Dream Theater not changing the set means everyone who sees them this tour gets the same show and has to suffer through hearing The Dark Eternal Night just like I did.

I used to do 2 or 3 shows per tour and it was great because they were all different . Now i do 1 biggrin.gif If the next album is like the last one, i won't be doing Any laugh.gif

I love the new album...still!!!! 1022.gif

I just wanted to stop by my thread to say that.

Ya'll be cool. cool10.gif

I understand what you're saying, and maybe the promoters expected bigger crowds due to the popularity of king crimson, but i have seen dt dozens of times and have always felt a connection with mp. When he was with the band he knew how to stand up and bring the audience to their feet. That stimulus is now gone. Mangini is awesum, and I'm glad the dt camp is happy now, but the same place where I've seen dt play by themselves and pack it everytime and friday night there was not one person in my section besides my girlfriend. In fact the lower and upper bowl had about 10% capacity. How do you explain that? Every other time they were packed or at least at 90%. They need to surprise people with something epic on this next album. If they can't pull that off they might have to go back to playing 800 seat theaters like they did on the falling into infinity tour. Seriously. Something happened. Just because they have a world-class drummer, maybe even the best fit for dt right now doesn't mean they aren't missing something. In fact there were so few ppl at the theatre friday night, that they, for the first time, had to setup folding chairs on the main floor, to make it appear filled up down there.

Wtf happened???

Edited: my gf corrected me. The upper and lower bowls were at around 5% capacity, according to her...

Edited by the masked drummer

I wanted to say that mp did bring this on himself, and dt did the best they could to fill his shoes. Unfortunately, that doesn't mean they are going to succeed. A landmark album could fix this, i think. Another thing that might help is if dt would play to their audience. An occasional look into the audience would help. On friday they seemed to be in their own world. It could be that mp coached the guys on this stuff, but they need to have fun up there or their audience will disappear before their eyes.

Bottom line: Portnoy f*cked dt. He took for granted a7x wanted him as their new drummer. He figured he would make some quick cash and bang some groupies, and dt now suffers. As for portnoy, he made his bed and now he must lay in it. It will be difficult for dt to ever trust him again. I believe they will only hire him back in an act of desperation or if mangini bails. We'll see. I'm still hoping for the next album to pick them back up again. I think they understand what needs to be done. Dt is in serious trouble.

QUOTE (the masked drummer @ Jun 24 2012, 08:41 AM)
I understand what you're saying, and maybe the promoters expected bigger crowds due to the popularity of king crimson, but i have seen dt dozens of times and have always felt a connection with mp. When he was with the band he knew how to stand up and bring the audience to their feet. That stimulus is now gone. Mangini is awesum, and I'm glad the dt camp is happy now, but the same place where I've seen dt play by themselves and pack it everytime and friday night there was not one person in my section besides my girlfriend. In fact the lower and upper bowl had about 10% capacity. How do you explain that? Every other time they were packed or at least at 90%. They need to surprise people with something epic on this next album. If they can't pull that off they might have to go back to playing 800 seat theaters like they did on the falling into infinity tour. Seriously. Something happened. Just because they have a world-class drummer, maybe even the best fit for dt right now doesn't mean they aren't missing something. In fact there were so few ppl at the theatre friday night, that they, for the first time, had to setup folding chairs on the main floor, to make it appear filled up down there.
Wtf happened???
Edited: my gf corrected me. The upper and lower bowls were at around 5% capacity, according to her...

Crimson isn't that popuar are they? They certainly aren't gonna help Dream Theater sell out any of the venues they're booked to play this tour. Especially when it comes to the larger ones. Maybe Portnoy leaving had more of an impact on concert attendance because if they're not filling up venues they always use to in the past, his leaving meant more than I thought it did. They do miss his stage presence but I think that playing wise, Mangini is a fine live replacement for him. I'm also starting to wonder if maybe the fanbase is losing interest in the band in genreal? Maybe Portnoy noticed that and that's why he wanted the band to take a break for a bit. It's great that Dream Theater has consistanly done album/tour every two years since Images & Words. But maybe they should take some time off and let the fans miss them for a bit. Then it's possible the crowds will be back again after a layoff from the band.

Now that I think about it, them not doing the "evening with" shows anymore might be taking a toll on ticket sales to. It's something special that not many bands do and it set their shows apart from everyone else. Their music was made for that kind of show and I think a return to that next tour will help with ticket sales if they stay as bad as they've been for the rest of this tour.