Official Dream Theater Thread

Tick

QUOTE (PhilCastro @ Jun 14 2012, 04:08 PM)
Tomorrow night.. show in Rochester 1022.gif

I wanted to go to this show tonight in addition to seeing them on Sunday. Unfortunately, I work the overnight shift at my job and have to be a little bit picky on what nights I take off. My brother and nephew are going though, i'll have to see if one of them can text me what they're playing.

QUOTE (The Owl @ Jun 14 2012, 06:50 PM)
QUOTE (Del_Duio @ Jun 13 2012, 10:36 AM)
The only Portnoy song they'll probably never play would probably be The Best of Times, other than that I think they're all possible.

I would really like to see them play all 5 songs in the AA suite, with a giant picture of Portnoy up on the Jumbo-tron  laugh.gif

I would add Change of Seasons to songs they wont do list.... It would be awkward for them to do that without Mike considering the subject matter.

Oh man, I hope you're wrong it would disappoint many DT fans.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 15 2012, 02:50 PM)
QUOTE (PhilCastro @ Jun 15 2012, 01:45 PM)
user posted image

user posted image

Oh, Hello there Mr. Petrucci smile.gif

What did he say???

ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

Nothing much.. laugh.gif

I asked him how he liked it in Rochester, and stuff like that. He was really cool. Said it was a pleasure to meet me laugh.gif

QUOTE (PhilCastro @ Jun 15 2012, 01:54 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 15 2012, 02:50 PM)
QUOTE (PhilCastro @ Jun 15 2012, 01:45 PM)
user posted image

user posted image

Oh, Hello there Mr. Petrucci smile.gif

What did he say???

ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

Nothing much.. laugh.gif

I asked him how he liked it in Rochester, and stuff like that. He was really cool. Said it was a pleasure to meet me laugh.gif

That's cool Phil!

trink39.gif

1022.gif

QUOTE (PhilCastro @ Jun 15 2012, 10:21 PM)
Great show 1022.gif

Great Setlist yes.gif

According to my nephew who went to the show this was the setlist:

Bridges in the Sky

6:00

The Dark Eternal Night

This is the Life

The Root of All Evil

Lost Not Forgotten

A Fortune in Lies

Surrounded

On the Backs of Angels

War Inside My Head

The Test that Stumped Them All

The Spirit Carries On

Breaking All Illusions

Metropolis Pt. 1

I'll be happy if they do this set when I saw them tomorrow night. Just replace The Dark Eternal Night with something that doesn't suck.

Bridges In The Sky is not a good opening song imo

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jun 16 2012, 11:32 AM)

I think it totally works, myself. atickhum.gif

QUOTE (Tick @ Jun 16 2012, 11:51 AM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Jun 16 2012, 11:32 AM)

I think it totally works, myself. atickhum.gif

You also think Crab Cake Wraps are for Men.................... cat.gif

Only if your man enough, and me personally...I AM! 1022.gif atickhum.gif bacon.gif

QUOTE (Tick @ Jun 17 2012, 10:47 AM)
Only if your man enough, and me personally...I AM! 1022.gif atickhum.gif bacon.gif

laugh.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jun 16 2012, 10:32 AM)

I always thought Lost Not Forgotten or On The Backs Of Angels would make the better opening song if they wanted to start the show with something new. After I see them tonight i'll be able to tell myself weather it's a good opener or not. The song has it's own intro to it and the line "at last the time has come to unite again as one" fits an opening song theme, so we'll see.

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Jun 17 2012, 11:07 AM)

I always thought Lost Not Forgotten or On The Backs Of Angels would make the better opening song if they wanted to start the show with something new. After I see them tonight i'll be able to tell myself weather it's a good opener or not. The song has it's own intro to it and the line "at last the time has come to unite again as one" fits an opening song theme, so we'll see.

On the Backs of Angels would be much better.

QUOTE (RodrigoAltaf @ Jun 18 2012, 02:41 AM)
QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Jun 17 2012, 11:07 AM)

On the Backs of Angels would be much better.

After seeing them last night I have to agree with that. Bridges To The Sky is a very good song and I love that they're playing it, but as the opening song something was missing for me. It seemed like they were playing the chorus a bit softer and slower than on the album and it lost a little bit of the impact it has.

Still, it was an excellent show. This was my first time seeing Mangini play and he is quite a beast on drums. His drum kit was insane too, it's like Neil's drum kit on steroids. They picked a hell of a replacement, "Portnoy who?" is all I can say after watching Mangini last night. They may miss the stage presence of Portnoy but the band is in no way missing anything when it comes to drumming.

I think the band not rotating the set on nightly basis is actually helping James to be a better live singer. Knowing what he's going to be singing every night has helped him become a better and way more consistant live singer. It's much better for his voice to know what songs to prepare for, as opposed to in the past getting handed some random setlist for Portnoy and having to pull off certian songs he hasn't done in awhile or might not be able to do as well as he did them in the past. James sounded great last night and was spot on with everything.

Is Myung even aware that there's people he's playing in front of? He doesn't acknowledge anyone until the final bow of the night laugh.gif

There's no other way to describe Petrucci other than he was John frakking Petrucci on the guitar. I've seen them five times now and am still amazed at what he does when I watch him play. I'm not a musician but watching him play always puts me in awe. Jordan is always fun to watch and always looks like he's enjoying himself on stage. I can't remember which song it was but he busted out the keytar last night 1022.gif

They kept the same set as the one from Rochester that I posted earlier in this thread. The new stuff came off great and i'm wondering why Lost Not Forgotten wasn't played until now? The song sounded great and there were no hiccups when they played it. The highlights for me were some of the older tunes though. The crowd drowned out James during 6:00, Surrounded, TSCO and Metropolis which were all great to hear, so was A Fortune In Lies. I know some people don't like that album because of the singer but it really does have some very good songs on it and that is one of them. War Inside My Head and The Test That Stumped Them All was awesome to.

The only problem was the small attendance. I know it was brought up on this thread before that the bands management was booking venues too big for them and that's certainly what happened here. I'm sure with it being fathers day and the town they played in, Lewiston, NY being located in the middle of nowhere didn't help. But the place sits maybe 3,000 or so and the turnout was probably in the 1,000 range. Lots of empty seats on the sides and once you got to the second half of the venue, there's two seperate teirs, there was nobody there. I don't know what the bands management is trying to do but I can't see how somebody isn't going to be losing money if the band is only filling the venues half way or less than that for the rest of the tour.

I hope I didn't ramble on too long. I thank everybody in advance who took the time to read my review trink39.gif

Nice , glad you had a good time. I don't know what the hell they are thinking booking some of these places. The show in NJ is prob gonna be very embarrassing for them . I am not really in the Portnoy Who? camp , he is missed, the shows are very safe now . I loved going to shows and not knowing what they would play, that ain't happening anymore . I think Mangini is a Great drummer but Mike is Mike and i hope he comes back someday . People have always said Portnoy was full of himself but has anyone ever read an interview with Mangini in the last year ? Full blown ego this guy has , some shit that has come out of his mouth never came out of Portnoys laugh.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jun 18 2012, 01:43 PM)
Nice , glad you had a good time. I don't know what the hell they are thinking booking some of these places. The show in NJ is prob gonna be very embarrassing for them . I am not really in the Portnoy Who? camp , he is missed, the shows are very safe now . I loved going to shows and not knowing what they would play, that ain't happening anymore . I think Mangini is a Great drummer but Mike is Mike and i hope he comes back someday . People have always said Portnoy was full of himself but has anyone ever read an interview with Mangini in the last year ? Full blown ego this guy has , some shit that has come out of his mouth never came out of Portnoys laugh.gif

Yeah, that's something I noticed at the Glasgow show, the audience was quite small, considering they nearly filled Wembley Arena in 2007 and when I saw them in Leeds in 2009(or was it 2010) it was packed.

Yet, they're charting very well, it's hardly the Portnoy effect, surely?

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Jun 18 2012, 08:50 AM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Jun 18 2012, 01:43 PM)

Yeah, that's something I noticed at the Glasgow show, the audience was quite small, considering they nearly filled Wembley Arena in 2007 and when I saw them in Leeds in 2009(or was it 2010) it was packed.

Yet, they're charting very well, it's hardly the Portnoy effect, surely?

MAybe people bought the album because they are long time fans, or were just curious to know how they'd sound like with a new drummer. And since they do not have the stage presence of POrtnoy anymore, and no surprises during the show, they choose not to go?

As much as I miss POrtnoy and the changes in the set, I will definitely see them this tour.