Official Dream Theater Thread

Tick

QUOTE (RushRevisited @ Aug 12 2007, 11:12 AM)
QUOTE (Snowdog @ Aug 12 2007, 02:11 PM)
I feel for you RR. That must have been brutal.

I was embarrassed and shocked.... I hardly knew what to say. I guess if I could think it through again and be prepared for a comment like that, it would have been something like "Yeah, I think you suck, that's why I flew to Bogota to see you, that is why I paid $300 and drove 4 hours each way for a shitty seat and a meet n greet here"...

Look at the bright side - Mike Portnoy knows The Rush Forum! How cool is that???

And for the record, I don't think they suck. Mind you, I've only heard Scenes From A Memory 2 or 3 times, but I thought it was great.

Hey guys,

I had front row in Chicago. Screamin show!! Cranial overload! 1022.gif

Too much talent under one roof at one time. Watching Mike makes me want to practice all day, everyday-soooo inspiring!

Drove 3 hours to see them from Indiana. Worth every mile. biggrin.gif

P.S saw Charlie Benante from Anthrax before the show. Very cool!

QUOTE (double bass chick @ Aug 12 2007, 02:38 PM)
Hey guys,

I had front row in Chicago. Screamin show!! Cranial overload! 1022.gif

Too much talent under one roof at one time. Watching Mike makes me want to practice all day, everyday-soooo inspiring!

Hey colleen!!

bekloppt.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Aug 12 2007, 02:45 PM)
Hey guys,

I had front row in Chicago. Screamin show!!  Cranial overload! 1022.gif

Hey colleen!!

bekloppt.gif

How's my friend across the water???

There is water between us right??? laugh.gif laugh.gif

QUOTE (double bass chick @ Aug 12 2007, 02:54 PM)
Hey guys,

Hey colleen!!

bekloppt.gif

Well yeah unless someone moved the Atlantic when we weren't watching...maybe it was aliens that did it...

wink.gif laugh.gif

Hey guys,

Hey colleen!!

bekloppt.gif

I'm good btw, listening to Led Zeppelin, how are you?

QUOTE (treeduck @ Aug 12 2007, 02:57 PM)
Hey guys,

Hey colleen!!

bekloppt.gif

Wonderful biggrin.gif

What Zep cd? My fave is Zep II & Houses of The Holy

They don't suck; they have a lot of musical talent. They're just not my cup of tea.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Aug 12 2007, 02:56 PM)
Hey guys,

Hey colleen!!

bekloppt.gif

Well yeah unless someone moved the Atlantic when we weren't watching...maybe it was aliens that did it...

wink.gif laugh.gif

I really started something, didn't I?.... laugh.gif

QUOTE (double bass chick @ Aug 12 2007, 02:59 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Aug 12 2007, 02:57 PM)
Hey guys,

Hey colleen!!

bekloppt.gif

Wonderful biggrin.gif

What Zep cd? My fave is Zep II & Houses of The Holy

Not a regular CD, I've got on a CD-R compilation...

When I was talking to you a few minutes ago I had The Immigrant Song on, now it's Kashmir...

cool.gif

QUOTE (priest_of_syrinx @ Aug 12 2007, 03:09 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Aug 12 2007, 02:56 PM)
Hey guys,

Hey colleen!!

bekloppt.gif

wink.gif laugh.gif

I really started something, didn't I?.... laugh.gif

No mate, it's been going on for months now...

wink.gif

laugh.gif

Cygnalschick gave me "A Change of Seasons," and I'm sitting here listening. And, then out of nowhere Love Lies Bleeding comes on, and I'm thinking, "Damn! That's weird." laugh.gif Amazing version of that song. I'm new to DT, so bear with me. But, I really do like what I've heard so far. Still downloading what RR sent me, so I'll have more to go by after I've heard those tunes. You guys who have seen them live are very lucky. I'll keep an eye out from now on to see if they come our way. trink39.gif

QUOTE (RushRevisited @ Aug 12 2007, 02:05 PM)
Saw DT in Cleveland last night and the meet n greet was... um.... interesting.... Here's how it went, wording not exact I am sure but pretty damn close...

I am in the line to get my picture taken with them, wearing my The Rush Forum shirt. My turn comes, I walk up:

Me: "Hey guys, how ya doing?"

Mike Portnoy: "The Rush Forum? You guys think we suck."

Me: "Huh? That's not true!"

Jorden Rudess: "Who thinks we suck?"

Mike Portnoy: "They do - The Rush Forum. They hate us over there"

Me: "That isn't true - only 3 or 4 people are like that, just ignore them."

During the signing I was like "Really, there are only a few people who say that, I wouldn't be here if I thought you sucked" to which Mike mumbled something like "It's ok".

I thought it sucked, I was embarrassed for this website because of the dildos here who have to be as vocal as possible in how much they think "DT sucks"...

Concert was great, but I was disappointed in my seats. While I had third row, I was off to the side and it was actually a limited view seat in the end - I couldn't see Portnoy, I could see John P about half the time, and could hardly see Jordan. I am surprised they would allow someone to pay $300 face value for a seat like this. I ended up leaving during encore because I had a 4 hour drive home and was tired of craning my neck to see...

DT does not suck and I am ashamed that Mike Portnoy has actually read those assinine comments here....

well, that's just not right sad.gif I'm sorry you had to go thru that sad.gif

RR,

I do think it's embarassing. I really dislike when someone completely shits on something that someone else likes. They feel the need to ram their ideas down your throat. That's why I don't post here that much anymore. The S&A bashing was just unbelievable. You can't just go into a thread and enjoy a positive outlook on something without someone putting whatever it is down. I know everyone has their opinions. But certain opinions have their place. You shouldn't go into a fan thread (i.e. this one) and completely bash what it's about.

This is a great forum, but some people make it really hard to enjoy. It's like they feel the need to be an asshole to get their points across.

Edited by Signals1982

QUOTE (Signals1982 @ Aug 12 2007, 06:08 PM)
RR,

I do think it's embarassing. I really dislike when someone completely shits on something that someone else likes. They feel the need to ram their ideas down your throat. That's why I don't post here that much anymore. The S&A bashing was just unbelievable. You can't just go into a thread and enjoy a positive outlook on something without someone putting whatever it is down. I know everyone has their opinions. But certain opinions have their place. You shouldn't go into a fan thread (i.e. this one) and completely bash what it's about.

This is a great forum, but some people make it really hard to enjoy. It's like they feel the need to be an asshole to get their points across.

Oh, wow. That does suck to the umpeenth degree. sad.gif I've ignored the opinions of others in regards to S&A. I think it's the best music Rush has put out since Presto, and that is my opinion. And, as far as other bands go, yes, there HAS to be room for those who disagree with the validity and talent of them. But, I would not like to be in RR's position where he was all of a sudden responsible for the opinions of others. After thinking about it, it was kind of uncool of MP to call him out. But, there you go. GG, 1-0-0-1, and RR take on a responsibility that you and I have not, but take advantage of. If I ran into a member of Dream Theater, I would make a point to tell them that I am a member of The Rush Forum and that I like their music as well. yes.gif

Really, he didn't say it like he was calling me out or anything - I was just embarrassed that this was the perception of them from TRF... MP, from what I know, isn't like that - he wouldn't make comments with the intention of embarrassing or calling out someone like that... I think it was just what popped in his mind when he saw my shirt and I was just ashamed that this is the perception he had of TRF's feelings towards DT in general... It's all cool...

Do you think MP got TRF confused with CP. I mean, it's bad over there, I've been a member there longer than here and am more active there, and there is some big time DT hating at CP (much of it is in good fun), I just never got that same vibe here.

QUOTE (RushRevisited @ Aug 12 2007, 07:56 PM)
Really, he didn't say it like he was calling me out or anything - I was just embarrassed that this was the perception of them from TRF... MP, from what I know, isn't like that - he wouldn't make comments with the intention of embarrassing or calling out someone like that... I think it was just what popped in his mind when he saw my shirt and I was just ashamed that this is the perception he had of TRF's feelings towards DT in general... It's all cool...

OK. We should let it go. But, I am sorry you had to go through that. You've worked so hard at keeping this board cool that I hate to hear you had an uncomfortable experience.

Just curious what venue was it in Cleveland?

My wife had to calm me down at R30 tour Blossom,

Scene magazine had a booth there they use to be big RUSH supporters but in recent years have done nothing but taken cheap shots at them(the usual ignorant Geddy's voice slams)

I let it be known to everyone who stepped up to booth that Scene has done nothing but slander RUSH and they don't belong here! Then i started yelling Scene Sucks!!!

But my wife finally made me realize these teens didn't have anything to do with it, The asshole writers are the ones, these kids were just there doing promo and signing people up for subscriptions. Felt bad for making them my target, but I did at least turned a few RUSH fans away once i talked to them from signing up.

Long winded off the subject story, but the point is hope Mike dosen't judge all the members of TRF as DT hate mongers perhaps it was CP site.

Edited by softfilter

Wow, that is really something. It is VERY COOL to know that Mike Portnoy has read this site. bekloppt.gif Mike, I LOVE YOU wub.gif

What is not cool is that he would come across some of the ignorant comments posted about his band here. I don't know what it is, and it's not just here, but it has been my experience that whenever DT gets brought up, particularly in a Rush forum, naysayers go out of their way to vehemently bash the band. They are so vocal about their dislike of the band it goes beyond reasoning. Why they feel the need to even enter a thread titled "Official Dream Theater Thread" is beyond me. If I see a thread about a band I'm not big on I either a) pass by it or b ) read it and figure maybe I should give that band another try.

Please all you DT bashers. LAY OFF!!! Actually, that goes for anyone who feels the need to spout off rude comments to anyone's personal opinions and preferences.

rantoff.gif

I'm glad you like DT, RR smile.gif

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b267/Tammeh69/MikePortnoy.jpg

I don't like DT at all.

However, I do think it sucks for you that he took it that way. Oh well, you can't expect everyone to love you, but then again, I hear MP has a big ego, maybe he does expect that.

I wouldn't have felt embarassed tho, guy seems like a cry baby.

Edited by Mr. Henry Gale

Why they feel the need to even enter a thread titled "Official Dream Theater Thread" is beyond me. If I see a thread about a band I'm not big on I either a) pass by it or b ) read it and figure maybe I should give that band another try.

Please all you DT bashers. LAY OFF!!! Actually, that goes for anyone who feels the need to spout off rude comments to anyone's personal opinions and preferences.

rantoff.gif

I'm glad you like DT, RR smile.gif

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b267/Tammeh69/MikePortnoy.jpg

The same thing happens over on a DCX board I spend time on.

It'a a constant battle over the Chicks and politics, which can be fun! biggrin.gif

BUT I often wonder why the hell someone would spend so much time on there if you hate them? Say your piece and leave,they don't no.gif what trolls..

btw I'm not a DT fan really but respect the ones who are...

Edited by softfilter

I can respect that.

However, I think people also like to talk about why they dislike a band. Even tho its a "official thread"..that doesn't mean it's open for praise only. It's the net, people like to discuss things among one another. Now..if this was an "appreciation" thread, that means a whole different thing.

Either way, I get where you are coming from. Why waste your time talking about something you hate? I dunno...people like to waste time I guess. biggrin.gif

But really..it is a messageboard. Someone may think DT is terrible, and they want to explain why they think so. MP shouldn't get butt hurt just because not everyone loves his shitty music.

Edited by Mr. Henry Gale

QUOTE (queenshall @ Dec 8 2005, 08:52 AM)
wink.gif Tick.... what would you recomend to novice dream theater listener ?? wink.gif

Dream Theater - Awake album. I love Caught in a Web. The way the chorus is sung. Makes me so happy. Caght in a WWWWWWWWWWWebbbbbbbbbbbbbbb. tongue.gif

But 2.gif will always be closer to my heart! tongue.gif cool.gif

QUOTE (Mr. Henry Gale @ Aug 13 2007, 01:45 AM)
I can respect that..

Can you really?

QUOTE (Mr. Henry Gale @ Aug 13 2007, 01:45 AM)

But really..it is a messageboard. Someone may think DT is terrible, and they want to explain why they think so. MP shouldn't get butt hurt just because not everyone loves his shitty music.

So after our Admin says he was totally embarrassed by rude comments bashing DT, you decide to make anoither one? wtf.gif Why the hell would you make this comment here??