Official Dream Theater Thread

Tick

Ive had the new album for 3 weeks now, and i HATE IT! It sounds like 6DOIT and TOT. It is one of the most booring albums by DT. I thought TOT was a bad album, TOT is way better than this. I think DT has 1 or 2 albums left after this one..

p.s, everybody can hate me now....lol

QUOTE (defrushfan01 @ Jun 4 2007, 06:45 AM)
Ive had the new album for 3 weeks now, and i HATE IT! It sounds like 6DOIT and TOT. It is one of the most booring albums by DT. I thought TOT was a bad album, TOT is way better than this. I think DT has 1 or 2 albums left after this one..

I don't HATE it like you do but am not real big on it. I've given it a LOT of listens and still, it just ain't doin' it for me and I really want it to. Now I know how the peeps who don't like S&A feel sad.gif

The best with the new DT cd is that you can actually hear the base. Myungs switch to Musicman Bongo was a perfect match.

There are some good songs that I like, but they seem to have lost their inventiveness and are now only working their regurgitation.

yup, the bass work in this album is great.. but the album is just not my style and not the classic DT that i like and enjoy...

today i heard the album again..

i think i'm getting to love the song:Dark eternal night, the distorted vocals dont do it for me, but the sound of the drums and the bass are amazing 1022.gif the piano break from rudess in the middle is weak in my opinion.. sounds to much like a rip of from The dance of eternity for me, but the highlight of the song is the spanish style solo of petrucci in 4:49.. that's just awesome! biggrin.gif

What do you think of the song? 1287.gif

The songs I like are; In The Presence of Enemies, Forsaken, Porphets of War, The Ministry of Lost Souls, In The Presence of Enemies pt.2. The Dark Eternal Night is the best of the ugly songs but it doesnt give me anything. Repentence is straight out boring. I find this album slightly better than Octavarium. But they need to release something more interesting next time. And I hope Rudess starts to use more diverse sounds. It seems to me like he can get all the keys he wants but he still cling to those he has always used. With a Korg Oasys, that should not be necessary.

QUOTE (Larks @ Jun 4 2007, 11:23 AM)

The worst off the album. The distorted vocals I find to be pointless. I still can't realize why they went into the "Dance of Eternity" style instrumental break in the song. Oh wait... nevermind. It's Dream Theater... that's what they do when they run out of ideas...

QUOTE (kazzman @ Jun 5 2007, 02:18 AM)
QUOTE (Larks @ Jun 4 2007, 11:23 AM)

I still can't realize why they went into the "Dance of Eternity" style instrumental break in the song. Oh wait... nevermind. It's Dream Theater... that's what they do when they run out of ideas...

yeah i agree on that one.

it's sad that they ran out of ideas in this album,the instrumentals are just uncreative and a rip off from earlier albums new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

i hope they will overcome and will show us fans that they still can play amazing and creative music in their next albums...

QUOTE (defrushfan01 @ Jun 4 2007, 09:45 AM)

I agree....it's awful......

Im so glad i read the last few posts in this thread, cant wait to get the new album today. eyesre4.gif

Special Edition just arrived! Kudos Amazon, on time!

The lyrics are pants, as usual, still, most of my favourite bands are shite lyricists, so nothing off-putting there.

I see Satriani, Vai and Morse play on it. Interesting.

Nice photos, Myung still resolutely refusing to be afflicted by crapbearditis.

Another journey begins...........

Will watch the DVD tonight.

I like it too. I actually started to smile while watching them recording Constant Motion and I hate that song! I dont think I will ever like it but there are of course some parts of the song that is cool. I think it is their best since Scenes From A Memory.

Rpentance is boring though.

QUOTE (prog.fusion @ Jun 5 2007, 03:07 PM)
i really like most of it.

Repentance is about 4 minutes too long, though.

Im sure it will all get even better with successive listens.

I think Constant Motion and the first 3 minutes of Dark Eternal Night is some of the worst material Dream Theater has ever put out (well, Constant Motion isn't that bad I guess), but otherwise it's not too bad.

And Rudess have gotten himself a Korg Radias! smile.gif I plan to invest in one of those in the near future, it is the nearest I will ever get to a Korg Oasys. Awesome Moogsounds.

I love the ending on the last song.

QUOTE (By-Tor's Best Buddy @ Jun 5 2007, 04:05 PM)
This is Dream Theater's best album since Awake. I absolutely love it. 2007 has been a great year for prog. Rush and Porcupione Tree have both released great albums and now DT also manage to deliver the goods!

Can Rush and Dream Theater really be considered progressive bands anymore? They've both changed a lot... PT should be included in my question to some extent as well.

QUOTE (Mustard Death @ Jun 5 2007, 03:20 PM)
QUOTE (By-Tor's Best Buddy @ Jun 5 2007, 04:05 PM)
This is Dream Theater's best album since Awake. I absolutely love it. 2007 has been a great year for prog. Rush and Porcupione Tree have both released great albums and now DT also manage to deliver the goods!

Can Rush and Dream Theater really be considered progressive bands anymore? They've both changed a lot... PT should be included in my question to some extent as well.

Rush is the only band out of those three that are the "least" prog.

QUOTE (Mustard Death @ Jun 5 2007, 03:20 PM)
They've both changed a lot...

they're progressive bands.......this is surprising to you?

i cant get why all these prog fans want each band to return to some sort of sound. why would a band, a progressive one, nonetheless, want to re-live past glories?

there are many qualities that make a band progressive, but one that stands out the most is never doing the same thing twice.

Call me crazy, but so far i like it. only heard first 4 songs.

QUOTE (Larks @ Jun 5 2007, 05:57 PM)
Same here.. the more i hear it the more i get into it..

But still i think that their last good and creative album is 6DOIT

personally, i loved octavarium, the only Dream Theater album im not crazy about is when dream and day unite, it bores me.