Official Dream Theater Thread

Tick

People who like DT tend not to be able to dance.

People who like DT do go to parties, but are rarely remembered as having been there by anyone else who attended.

QUOTE (D-13 @ Mar 13 2007, 10:30 AM)
QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Mar 13 2007, 03:40 AM)
Wow amazing musical insight, as always in this subforum.  Keep up the good work.  sarcasm.gif

goodpost.gif

Right on! What a load of horseshit. What a waste of time.

Nothing but negative........................

Edited by tangdog

Of course it's horsehit, it's all in jest buds!! trink39.gif

Just gently yanking a couple of chains to give folks something to spar with!

Disco

QUOTE (Disco @ Mar 13 2007, 11:17 AM)
Of course it's horsehit, it's all in jest buds!! trink39.gif

Just gently yanking a couple of chains to give folks something to spar with!

Disco

even though i love DT, i love it when people just randomly bag on bands so the band's fan that are more like sack-lickers get their thongs in a bunch.

so..uh, yea......Petrushi has no...........emotion.

lol.

no im not being sarcastic, i have a sense of humor.

Disco... OMG!!! You're killing me. My sides are cramping up and my face is on fire from smiling so much while laughing uncontrollably.

But it's all true, right? z7shysterical.gif At least for TICK anyway. pokey.gif

and maybe RR.

bolt.gif

I'm a new DT fan....because of what has been said on here. I recently got 'Images' and 'Scenes' and I keep playing them both...and indication to myself that I like what I'm hearing. If I don't the album gets dumped.

Is 'Scenes' supposed to be DT's answer to PF's 'The Wall'? It does seem to be in the same ilk. I notice lots of PF related sounds and I even wondered whether one track was a tribute to Roger Waters, as it sounds just like him - forget the name of the track now unsure.gif

[PS I am aware of their remake of DSOTM]

I even hear some Hawkwind overtones (esp HW from the mid '90s). Is this deliberate?

Some parts of Images sound like Guns'n'Roses, and sometimes sounding like Genesis, Supertramp, Journey and even Camel from the early '70s.

I understand it when peeps say that some of the guitar work is a bit OTT and seems to weedle on a bit, out of context with the song, but in general I really like what I've heard. Any recommendations for my next album???

QUOTE (Kubla @ Mar 16 2007, 08:02 AM)
I'm a new DT fan....because of what has been said on here. I recently got 'Images' and 'Scenes' and I keep playing them both...and indication to myself that I like what I'm hearing. If I don't the album gets dumped.

Is 'Scenes' supposed to be DT's answer to PF's 'The Wall'? It does seem to be in the same ilk. I notice lots of PF related sounds and I even wondered whether one track was a tribute to Roger Waters, as it sounds just like him - forget the name of the track now unsure.gif

[PS I am aware of their remake of DSOTM]

I even hear some Hawkwind overtones (esp HW from the mid '90s). Is this deliberate?

Some parts of Images sound like Guns'n'Roses, and sometimes sounding like Genesis, Supertramp, Journey and even Camel from the early '70s.

I understand it when peeps say that some of the guitar work is a bit OTT and seems to weedle on a bit, out of context with the song, but in general I really like what I've heard. Any recommendations for my next album???

Go for the new DVD-Score

Or if you really like the music ( and not all that crazy about the singing, like me) try the Liquid Tension Experiment discs

What I don't get about the people who don't like DT, is why they waste so much time talking about them. If I don't like some band thread someone posts on here, I mostly don't even look in there at all...And if I do, once I've made my point I never go in there again...

trink38.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Mar 16 2007, 04:01 PM)
What I don't get about the people who don't like DT, is why they waste so much time talking about them. If I don't like some band thread someone posts on here, I mostly don't even look in there at all...And if I do, once I've made my point I never go in there again...

trink38.gif

rush fans who dont like dream theater are big babies when it comes to dream theaters music, they feel they threaten there precious rush. eyesre4.gif

dream theater haters, get over it, they rock, and theres nothing you can say or do to change it ! 1022.gif

QUOTE (tick @ Mar 16 2007, 04:17 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Mar 16 2007, 04:01 PM)

trink38.gif

rush fans who dont like dream theater are big babies when it comes to dream theaters music, they feel they threaten there precious rush. eyesre4.gif

dream theater haters, get over it, they rock, and theres nothing you can say or do to change it ! 1022.gif

yes.gif

Rush fans are just big babies!!! DT is the best band that ever lived. 1022.gif

I've seen them seventy five times. Almost as many times as there are strings on the bass player's bass. yes.gif

Peart couldn't polish Portnoy's sticks. no.gif

And it only takes three of them to do what Geddy does all by himself. And they almost do it as good as he does. Oh wait... that's not really a compliment is it? Sorry Tick.

Dream Theater RULES... 2.gif FOOLS. 1022.gif

tongue.gif

QUOTE (BlackViper @ Mar 12 2007, 04:03 PM)
Also why bash on DT, they look up to Rush and have always wanted to tour with them but because both of them have pretty big ego's and it probally wouldnt work.

A half-right statement.

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Mar 16 2007, 05:46 PM)
QUOTE (BlackViper @ Mar 12 2007, 04:03 PM)
Also why bash on DT, they look up to Rush and have always wanted to tour with them but because both of them have pretty big ego's and  it probally wouldnt work.

A half-right statement.

goodpost.gif

Tick is this the show you were at?

Mike Portnoy's all-star tribute to The Who featuring Paul Gilbert, Billy Sheehan and Gary Cherone is now available. The DVD, CD includes the entire concert recorded at BB King's in New York City on May 31st 2006.

Amazing Journey tracklist:

Baba O'Riley

Sister Disco

Substitute

Pictures Of Lily

I Can See For Miles

Young Man Blues

A Quick One While He's Away

Bargain

Behind Blue Eyes

The Real Me

Love Reign O'er Me

Overture

It's A Boy

Amazing Journey / Sparks

Eyesight To The Blind

Christmas

The Acid Queen

Pinball Wizard

Tommy Can You Hear Me?

There's A Doctor

Go To The Mirror

Smash The Mirror

I'm Free

Tommy's Holiday Camp

We're Not Gonna Take It

Who Are You

Won't Get Fooled Again

My Generation

DVD Special Features:

2.0 Stereo and 5.1 Surround Sound

5 additional Bonus Tracks and Backstage Footage from the Whittier, CA show

PHP-Nuke is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL license.

Page Gen

I like Dream Theater. They're not my favourite band and I'm not a fan who defends them at all costs, but I'd be lying if I said that I don't like them. Dream Theater was the link through which I got into Rush and some other progressive rock and metal bands and I'm glad that I didn't miss their music.

However, there are some things about DT I don't like:

- Jordan Rudess' style of playing. His permanent urge to show off his skills without caring for the song is getting on my nerves.

- Mike Portnoy's need to do really everything concerning the band's business.

- Shredding fests that lead to nowhere and destroy some songs.

But still, I enjoy most of their music and I hope that this won't change fast.

QUOTE (tangdog @ Mar 17 2007, 10:30 AM)
Tick is this the show you were at?

Mike Portnoy's all-star tribute to The Who featuring Paul Gilbert, Billy Sheehan and Gary Cherone is now available. The DVD, CD includes the entire concert recorded at BB King's in New York City on May 31st 2006.

Amazing Journey tracklist:

Baba O'Riley
Sister Disco
Substitute
Pictures Of Lily
I Can See For Miles
Young Man Blues
A Quick One While He's Away
Bargain
Behind Blue Eyes
The Real Me
Love Reign O'er Me
Overture
It's A Boy
Amazing Journey / Sparks
Eyesight To The Blind
Christmas
The Acid Queen
Pinball Wizard
Tommy Can You Hear Me?
There's A Doctor
Go To The Mirror
Smash The Mirror
I'm Free
Tommy's Holiday Camp
We're Not Gonna Take It
Who Are You
Won't Get Fooled Again
My Generation

DVD Special Features:
2.0 Stereo and 5.1 Surround Sound
5 additional Bonus Tracks and Backstage Footage from the Whittier, CA show

PHP-Nuke is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL license.
Page Gen

indeed it was, i need to own that ! 1022.gif