Official Dream Theater Thread

Tick

QUOTE (Rush! @ Feb 10 2007, 05:06 PM)
Wow. New Rush album. New Porcupine Tree album. New Radiohead album. New The Mars Volta album. And now this. This will be a great year for new music.

yup.

QUOTE (Snowman @ Feb 5 2007, 03:10 PM)
QUOTE (KenJennings @ Feb 5 2007, 02:14 PM)
QUOTE (Roddy @ Feb 5 2007, 06:48 AM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Feb 4 2007, 10:49 PM)
Thing about Dream Theater and a lot of Rush fans is this: they seem to want to compare them with Rush or want them to be as good as Rush, song-writing legacy-wise etc, but that's never gonna happen. I never even had to think about this, which is why I'm surprised these arguments exist. It's a no brainer.

But that's no reason to diss DT. I just like them for what they are - a decent band with good players with no connection to Rush and no need for a comparison. And I'm not interested in whether Portnot idolises Neil or not, it makes no difference to whether i like them or not...

This is the way I compare 'em, musically....

If Portnoy had a 'drum-off' with Neil, Portnoy would win easily.

If Petrucci had a guitar duel with Alex, JP with absolutely wipe the floor with Alex.

If Myung and Ged had a bass fight, it'd probably be pretty close, with the edge probably going to Myung.

Rudess could probably outplay Ged on keys with one hand tied behind his back.

Technically speaking, LaBrie has a miles superior voice to Ged.

I like Rush more.

(I love DT too, tho!)

I agree on all statements here except Portnoy vs Neil... no way. tongue.gif

Petrucci would probably wipe floor with regards to number of notes per beat, but where is the feeling? The Mood? He would not wipe floor on the moody part of the playing. Why is BB King an acclaimed guitarist (at least for blues fans)? Well, surely not for his speedpicking. A. Lifeson is progrocks BB King. The fact is that you cant compare those two. A Lifeson would probably be equally good if he was 20 years younger, who knows.

With regards to Portnoy vs Peart..there is no discussion. Peart outclasses Portnoy.

Myung is a good baseplayer and he plays a lot, but I hardly ever notice it. You notice it when Geddy plays.

Rudess is of course a far better keyboardplayer than Geddy. So what? The songs are not there.

Labrie has a nice voice but has huge problems live with his dictation (I think it is called dictation?).

Ehhh......this discussion is useless. Rush rules!

if you honestly think all JP does is shred, then i have nothing to do in the way of showing your ignorance, you did it for me.

Under A Glass Moon

Learning to Live

The Silent Man

Lifting Shadows Off A Dream

Peruvian Skies

Hollow Years

Anna Lee

Trial of Tears

Overture 1928

Beyond This Life

The Spirit Carries On

Goodnight Kiss

Solitary Shell

ill stop there. just off the top of my head, those are songs that have either tasteful guitar work and/or slower(emotional) solos. for some reason, everyone hears Train of Thought or 6DOIT and thinks all JP does is shred. if you truly think that is true, you haven't listened to far enough Dream Theater albums to even make some sort of reputable argument over his style of playing.

i love Alex. i love his playing and his style. and i truly believe that he is one of the most underrated players in rock, let alone, music. But as a round musician there is no way on this earth that he is above John Petrucci. you may not like fast soloing/guitar playing as everyone else.....but there is no way everyone could write stuff like The Glass Prison's Arps in the beg., LTE's Paradigm Shift, Universal Mind or Wishful Thinking from his solo album.

so please, before you continue this discussion, pleasae educate yourself on the matters at hand.

as for everything else........Jordan is better than Geddy, JM and Geddy are tied(only for difference in style, for playing capability, id go with JM), Geddy cant sing anything like James LaBrie, and MP and NP are left to your own opinions, as drumming is more about style than technique.

QUOTE (prog.fusion @ Feb 12 2007, 01:28 PM)
Thing about Dream Theater and a lot of Rush fans is this: they seem to want to compare them with Rush or want them to be as good as Rush, song-writing legacy-wise etc, but that's never gonna happen. I never even had to think about this, which is why I'm surprised these arguments exist. It's a no brainer.

But that's no reason to diss DT. I just like them for what they are - a decent band with good players with no connection to Rush and no need for a comparison. And I'm not interested in whether Portnot idolises Neil or not, it makes no difference to whether i like them or not...

If Petrucci had a guitar duel with Alex, JP with absolutely wipe the floor with Alex.

If Myung and Ged had a bass fight, it'd probably be pretty close, with the edge probably going to Myung.

I like Rush more.

(I love DT too, tho!)

Petrucci would probably wipe floor with regards to number of notes per beat, but where is the feeling? The Mood? He would not wipe floor on the moody part of the playing. Why is BB King an acclaimed guitarist (at least for blues fans)? Well, surely not for his speedpicking. A. Lifeson is progrocks BB King. The fact is that you cant compare those two. A Lifeson would probably be equally good if he was 20 years younger, who knows.

With regards to Portnoy vs Peart..there is no discussion. Peart outclasses Portnoy.

Myung is a good baseplayer and he plays a lot, but I hardly ever notice it. You notice it when Geddy plays.

Rudess is of course a far better keyboardplayer than Geddy. So what? The songs are not there.

Labrie has a nice voice but has huge problems live with his dictation (I think it is called dictation?).

if you honestly think all JP does is shred, then i have nothing to do in the way of showing your ignorance, you did it for me.

Under A Glass Moon

Learning to Live

The Silent Man

Peruvian Skies

Hollow Years

Anna Lee

Trial of Tears

Overture 1928

Beyond This Life

The Spirit Carries On

Goodnight Kiss

Solitary Shell

ill stop there. just off the top of my head, those are songs that have either tasteful guitar work and/or slower(emotional) solos. for some reason, everyone hears Train of Thought or 6DOIT and thinks all JP does is shred. if you truly think that is true, you haven't listened to far enough Dream Theater albums to even make some sort of reputable argument over his style of playing.

i love Alex. i love his playing and his style. and i truly believe that he is one of the most underrated players in rock, let alone, music. But as a round musician there is no way on this earth that he is above John Petrucci. you may not like fast soloing/guitar playing as everyone else.....but there is no way everyone could write stuff like The Glass Prison's Arps in the beg., LTE's Paradigm Shift, Universal Mind or Wishful Thinking from his solo album.

so please, before you continue this discussion, pleasae educate yourself on the matters at hand.

as for everything else........Jordan is better than Geddy, JM and Geddy are tied(only for difference in style, for playing capability, id go with JM), Geddy cant sing anything like James LaBrie, and MP and NP are left to your own opinions, as drumming is more about style than technique.

dam good posting !

Are you tone deaf pugs STILL trying to convince yourselves of DT's superiority to 2.gif ???

MY GOD... please... STOP!!! You're embarrassing yourselves. Really... take a pill or something. Oh wait... here's an idea... go to DREAM THEATER's WEB SITE and have your delusions THERE. yes.gif

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Feb 12 2007, 08:49 PM)
Are you tone deaf pugs STILL trying to convince yourselves of DT's superiority to 2.gif ???

MY GOD... please... STOP!!! You're embarrassing yourselves. Really... take a pill or something. Oh wait... here's an idea... go to DREAM THEATER's WEB SITE and have your delusions THERE. yes.gif

dont you know your not allowed in this thread ? now go away !

QUOTE (tick @ Feb 12 2007, 07:53 PM)

MY GOD... please... STOP!!!  You're embarrassing yourselves.  Really... take a pill or something.  Oh wait... here's an idea... go to DREAM THEATER's WEB SITE and have your delusions THERE.  yes.gif

no.gif

I'm here for good. Deal with it.

tongue.gif

moon.gif

Dream Theater Sucks!!! Were they even allowed to WATCH the grammies???

laugh.gif

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Feb 12 2007, 08:55 PM)
QUOTE (tick @ Feb 12 2007, 07:53 PM)

MY GOD... please... STOP!!!  You're embarrassing yourselves.  Really... take a pill or something.  Oh wait... here's an idea... go to DREAM THEATER's WEB SITE and have your delusions THERE.  yes.gif

no.gif

I'm here for good. Deal with it.

tongue.gif

moon.gif

Dream Theater Sucks!!! Were they even allowed to WATCH the grammies???

laugh.gif

http://www.cartuneland.com/get%20out.gif

what he said. yes.gif

QUOTE (tick @ Feb 12 2007, 05:17 PM)
QUOTE (prog.fusion @ Feb 12 2007, 01:28 PM)

I like Rush more.

(I love DT too, tho!)

Under A Glass Moon

Learning to Live

The Silent Man

Peruvian Skies

Hollow Years

Anna Lee

Trial of Tears

Overture 1928

Beyond This Life

The Spirit Carries On

Goodnight Kiss

Solitary Shell

dam good posting !

biggrin.gif

Thanks tick, I know you symphatized with my reply, right?

Just kidding! cool.gif

I was a bit harsh in my posting, I actually like DT a lot. I just dont like all albums:

Falling into Infinity - I find it boring, but its nice

Train of Thought - completely ugly!

I like all the other albums and rate When Dream And Day Unite and Images & Words as 110%, Awake and Scenes from a memory as close to 90%, and all the other pretty good.

I got goosebumps when I listened to Sacrified Sons the other day and I really look forward to the new CD!

With that said, I think it is completely useless to compare DT with Rush. It is like the Rush vs YES discussion, completely useless. So lets discuss DT on this thread.

one thing that turns me off with DT, is that JM plays the same parts as JP. and it just sounds so muddy. Geddy and Alex play completly different parts, and it adds so much more to their sound. as with DT you cant really make out the bass in some songs. JM needs to learn how to play different parts than what JP plays.

QUOTE (defrushfan01 @ Feb 13 2007, 09:43 AM)
one thing that turns me off with DT, is that JM plays the same parts as JP. and it just sounds so muddy. Geddy and Alex play completly different parts, and it adds so much more to their sound. as with DT you cant really make out the bass in some songs. JM needs to learn how to play different parts than what JP plays.

He's definately too muddy to me. Does he really play same exact notes as JP, though?

QUOTE (the_masked_drummer @ Feb 13 2007, 09:59 AM)

He's definately too muddy to me. Does he really play same exact notes as JP, though?

no.

but he does at times. but only to emphasize a part or get that added extra thickness to the song.

listen to Trial of Tears, Lifting Shadows Off A Dream, Learning to Live, Octavarium for some real good JM playing.

Hi Gentlemen / ladies

Don't normally have much to say on forums but felt I had to contribute to this thread (might even stir things up a bit!)

Just wanted to thank you guys trink39.gif for guiding me to DT. After reading the threads here I decided to give them a shot 6 months ago and have to admit to loving their stuff.

Of course they will never replace Rush who are still THE GREATEST BAND IN THE GALAXY. 1022.gif

Cheers,

Ben

trink39.gif

I agree. Rush is the greatest band ever to pick up an instrument. However, I do believe that DT are also the masters of their trade as well. I love them both and don't have a favorite, I think it's impossible to compare them.

Edited by progrush2112

QUOTE (prog.fusion @ Feb 13 2007, 12:02 PM)

no.

but he does at times. but only to emphasize a part or get that added extra thickness to the song.

listen to Trial of Tears, Lifting Shadows Off A Dream, Learning to Live, Octavarium for some real good JM playing.

Yeah but their parts should never overlap, because its only a 4 peice and the keys can add that depth, while JM can play a melody as JP plays the chordal parts...

QUOTE (defrushfan01 @ Feb 13 2007, 04:59 PM)

no.

Yeah but their parts should never overlap, because its only a 4 peice and the keys can add that depth, while JM can play a melody as JP plays the chordal parts...

its all objective. i think there are parts when geddy should do something more than play roots long with Alex, but i didnt write it. i appreciate it for what it is, not what i want it to be.

QUOTE (prog.fusion @ Feb 13 2007, 06:42 PM)
QUOTE (defrushfan01 @ Feb 13 2007, 04:59 PM)

no.

its all objective. i think there are parts when geddy should do something more than play roots long with Alex, but i didnt write it. i appreciate it for what it is, not what i want it to be.

im not bashing them, i think it would create more space if they didnt overlap their parts...

QUOTE (priest_of_syrinx @ Feb 14 2007, 04:47 PM)
QUOTE (benfletton @ Feb 13 2007, 03:12 PM)
Of course they will never replace Rush who are still THE GREATEST BAND IN THE GALAXY. 1022.gif

Cheers,

Ben

no.gif Not quite. There's a band from Andromeda that's even better. It's pronounced as Saaflmn aijfjd >jfjia.

Bullshit! Saaflmn aijfjd >jfjia suck! yes.gif

QUOTE (Snowman @ Feb 15 2007, 04:09 AM)
QUOTE (priest_of_syrinx @ Feb 14 2007, 04:47 PM)
QUOTE (benfletton @ Feb 13 2007, 03:12 PM)

Cheers,

Ben

no.gif Not quite. There's a band from Andromeda that's even better. It's pronounced as Saaflmn aijfjd >jfjia.

Bullshit! Saaflmn aijfjd >jfjia suck! yes.gif

But what about their 76,000-year masterpiece, Eieuqznnmvemmmmenenen that I haven't even gotten through yet? It's amazing!

P.S. I know all about the honor of God, Mary Jane!!!! tongue.gif