Official Dream Theater Thread

Tick

QUOTE (the_masked_drummer @ Jan 15 2007, 11:53 AM)
damn. sorry about that. mikeportnoy.com is prolly a good place to look...

nothing to be sorry about. your link is to a unoffical DT forum. I am pretty sure that the one at DT.net is still closed though.

I like DT but have to take them in small doses. Too much endless noodling after a while. I love Falling into Infinity even though the production stinks.

I'm happy they didn't use Kevin Shirley on the newest CD. That guy is the worst producer ever. Every album after Awake sounds like crap. No amount of EQ can make those albums sound good no matter how hard I try. Listen very closely to the snare drum on "Scenes of a Memory". It sounds like an old cassette that's out of phase. ohmy.gif

Listen to the crap production quality on the past few Iron Maiden albums.

I don't get how anybody would use Kevin Shirley. wtf.gif

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that Kevin Shirley is a terrible producer.

rofl3.gif

ttyl

QUOTE (wayshway @ Jan 18 2007, 05:11 PM)
I like DT but have to take them in small doses. Too much endless noodling after a while. I love Falling into Infinity even though the production stinks.

I'm happy they didn't use Kevin Shirley on the newest CD. That guy is the worst producer ever. Every album after Awake sounds like crap. No amount of EQ can make those albums sound good no matter how hard I try. Listen very closely to the snare drum on "Scenes of a Memory". It sounds like an old cassette that's out of phase. ohmy.gif

I don't get how anybody would use Kevin Shirley. wtf.gif

rofl3.gif

ttyl

Didn't he do Counterparts for Rush? Because that has AWESOME production... unsure.gif

QUOTE (priest_of_syrinx @ Jan 18 2007, 10:14 PM)
QUOTE (wayshway @ Jan 18 2007, 05:11 PM)

I'm happy they didn't use Kevin Shirley on the newest CD. That guy is the worst producer ever. Every album after Awake sounds like crap. No amount of EQ can make those albums sound good no matter how hard I try. Listen very closely to the snare drum on "Scenes of a Memory". It sounds like an old cassette that's out of phase.  ohmy.gif

I don't get how anybody would use Kevin Shirley.  wtf.gif

rofl3.gif

ttyl

Didn't he do Counterparts for Rush? Because that has AWESOME production... unsure.gif

I thought Peter Collins produced Counterparts. biggrin.gif

CP is my second favorite RUSH album.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Dec 8 2006, 02:46 PM)
OK, I bought my first DT album, "Once In A Livetime". It's excellent!!What should be my next purchase?? And after that, and so on.

Well, it's now 7 or 8 weeks since i posted this, and I now possess all the studio albums, live albums and DVDs'.

What an amazing band. I have not been as excited about a band in years.

Whilst all of the albums have impressed me( the live section of A Change Of Seasons I could live without, and some of the power-ballads!!), Images and Words, 6DOIT and Scenes From a Memory are my favourites. I only started playing Octavarium yesterday, but early signs are good( I listened to the live versions on Score last week), a bit U2/Muse-like in spots, but sounds great.

But, Scenes From a Memory is just incredible. I've played the whole thing daily for 3 weeks now, plus watching the DVD whenever I get a chance. Amazing album.

Cannot wait for the new album, and maybe take in an Irish or British show if they come to these parts.

The live DVDs are excellent, you could watch them playing all day. If I had one quibble it would be that La Brie seems to be a bit of a charisma-free zone on stage.

Comes across as a thoroughly decent chap off stage though.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Jan 23 2007, 11:59 AM)
Cannot wait for the new album, and maybe take in an Irish or British show if they come to these parts.

You're in for a treat if you do manage to catch them. Been lucky enough to see them on the last three UK tours and they've impressed more and more each time, James LaBrie in particular - his performances are improving all the time. The thing I like most is the way they change the set list each night. Saw both shows at Hammersmith in 2005 and they only repeated one song over the two nights. Superb biggrin.gif

Totally agree about SFaM 1022.gif

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Jan 23 2007, 06:59 AM)

I thought I would point out/recommend both of the Liquid Tension Experiment discs. portnoy/petrucci/rudess and the great Tony Levin.

All instrumental. really good.

QUOTE (tangdog @ Jan 23 2007, 01:32 PM)

I thought I would point out/recommend both of the Liquid Tension Experiment discs. portnoy/petrucci/rudess and the great Tony Levin.

Thanks Tangdog!! They're on my list. Transatlantic's 2 studio albums arrived this morning. Will get to LTE next.....

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Jan 23 2007, 02:19 PM)

Thanks Tangdog!! They're on my list. Transatlantic's 2 studio albums arrived this morning. Will get to LTE next.....

The LTE albums are brilliant! yes.gif

Paradigm Shift 1022.gif

If you go to Ytse Jam Records you can get the "official" bootlegs, which are great. Highly recommend their cover of Floyd's Dark Side of The Moon, they did a fantastic job of it (and I was there!) biggrin.gif

Can also recommend John Petrucci's solo album, Suspended Animation, and Mike Portnoy's Liquid Drum Theater tutorial dvd, if you like that kind of thing it's excellent.

QUOTE (Snowman @ Jan 29 2007, 06:37 AM)
Check out this youtube video of A change of seasons from 1993 with Kevin Moore tickling the ivory!

Kevin Moore rulez! cool.gif

My Webpage

Damn,

I saw DT three times with Moore and they never played ACOS!

I love this raw version. Very choppy.

Thanks!

goodpost.gif

Love the Transatlantic albums!! Very Yes-like, not a bad thing.

LTE next.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Jan 29 2007, 10:49 AM)

LTE next.

Are you also a fan of Spocks Beard?

QUOTE (tangdog @ Jan 29 2007, 04:09 PM)
QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Jan 29 2007, 10:49 AM)

LTE next.

Are you also a fan of Spocks Beard?

Well Tangdog, I wasn't. I was very much a '70's prog-snob to be honest.

But DT have changed that. I guess Spock's Beard are next for an aural ransacking. Any recommendations?