Official Dream Theater Thread

Tick

QUOTE (mortkort @ Dec 22 2006, 06:56 PM)
QUOTE (Nickslikk2112 @ Dec 22 2006, 06:32 PM)
QUOTE (mortkort @ Dec 22 2006, 09:48 PM)

I think Octavarium is the best DT album, any one agree?

No biggrin.gif

damn you all, damn you all to hell!

not really bolt.gif

I agree!! 2nd is Scenes from a Memory. smile.gif

QUOTE (The Rocinante @ Dec 23 2006, 05:36 PM)
IaW>Train of Thought>6DoIT>Scenes From A Memory>Awake>Octavarium (haven't heard Falling into Infinity or their debut)

Octavarium>Scenes from a Memory>Images and Words>Train of Thought = Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence>When Dream and Day Unite

I've not really listened much to Awake or Falling Into Infinity. Because I don't own them.

This sums up my thoughts on DT haters:

HATRED=JEALOUSY

I love Rush. They are my all-time fav band, but Rush isn't the be all to end all. The mind is like a parachute: It only functions when open. There are other great bands that have musical integrity besides Rush. Rush ripped off plenty of bands but seldom do people admit it on Rush forums. OK, I said it... scared.gif

The best DT albums are "When Dream and Day Unite" and "Images & Words". Those 2 are the really classix from DT!

It went a bit downhill with "Awake", but I still like it immensly and it has some monstertracks like The Mirror, Scarred, and the best; Space-Dye Vest. There are ofcoarse a lot of other good tracks but they are not as solid as the 3 mentioned.

"Falling into Boredom" are a bit to boring for my taste. It is nice and everything, but I just get bored listening to it.

"A change of season" are very good. Probably because it is from the Kevin Moore era of DT.

I really didnt like Derek Sherinian that much. After his 2 recordings Jordan Rudess came and "Scenes from a memory" are a classic.

The 2 next albums: "6 degrees of utter boredom" and "Train of tought" are not that much at all.

"Octavarium" are a bit better and it gave me the hope that all hope is not lost with regards to DT.

QUOTE (Snowman @ Jan 12 2007, 08:38 AM)
The best DT albums are "When Dream and Day Unite" and "Images & Words". Those 2 are the really classix from DT!

It went a bit downhill with "Awake", but I still like it immensly and it has some monstertracks like The Mirror, Scarred, and the best; Space-Dye Vest. There are ofcoarse a lot of other good tracks but they are not as solid as the 3 mentioned.

"Falling into Boredom" are a bit to boring for my taste. It is nice and everything, but I just get bored listening to it.

"A change of season" are very good. Probably because it is from the Kevin Moore era of DT.

I really didnt like Derek Sherinian that much. After his 2 recordings Jordan Rudess came and "Scenes from a memory" are a classic.

The 2 next albums: "6 degrees of utter boredom" and "Train of tought" are not that much at all.

"Octavarium" are a bit better and it gave me the hope that all hope is not lost with regards to DT.

please folks if your looking to get into DT then basically ignore snowmans thoughts. i hate being confrontational but you dont have a clue. first off, "when dream and day unite" is there weakest album, secondly awake is a great album all the way through, "train of thought" and " falling into infinity" are average, but still good listens. "six degrees of inner turbulence " is a great album, both discs ! and so is octavarium. i dont think your really much of a fan at all from your clearly drug influenced thoughts. dream theater is alive and well and i cant wait for new material. 1022.gif

QUOTE (Dreamline @ Jan 12 2007, 08:05 AM)
QUOTE (Snowman @ Jan 12 2007, 12:38 PM)

I believe Derek Sherinian played on "A Change Of Seasons"

Yes, Derek is on ACOS and falling into Infinity.

I guess Derek was my least favorite keyboard player in DT, however his solo discs are awesome! Petrucci played on one song for Dereks last.

Derek also plays in Planet X, I've only heard samples of them but it sounds killer too!.

Edited to say that perhaps you are refering to the fact that it was written during the Moore era but recorded by Sherinian?

Edited by tangdog

QUOTE (Dreamline @ Jan 12 2007, 08:05 AM)
QUOTE (Snowman @ Jan 12 2007, 12:38 PM)

I believe Derek Sherinian played on "A Change Of Seasons"

He did, but this song was originally made for Images & Words.

QUOTE (tick @ Jan 12 2007, 08:30 AM)
QUOTE (Snowman @ Jan 12 2007, 08:38 AM)

please folks if your looking to get into DT then basically ignore snowmans thoughts. i hate being confrontational but you dont have a clue. first off, "when dream and day unite" is there weakest album, secondly awake is a great album all the way through, "train of thought" and " falling into infinity" are average, but still good listens. "six degrees of inner turbulence " is a great album, both discs ! and so is octavarium. i dont think your really much of a fan at all from your clearly drug influenced thoughts. dream theater is alive and well and i cant wait for new material. 1022.gif

You can take your drugs and shove them all the way up! wink.gif

Am I not allowed to express my opinions? What makes your opinions more right than mine? Loser!

Okay, tell you what. I saw Scenes from a Memory checked in at the library the other day and I grabbed it, thinking maybe I should give it a second listen. And to be honest, there were a few guitar parts or whatever where I went "oh, that's cool," but overall, it just seems to be missing something. They seem like they have everything in place musically, so by all rights they should be brilliant. I want them to be brilliant. But the whole thing just seemed very cold and impersonal to me, it completely lacked the sense of "warmth" that, say, a Rush or a Yes album has.

So I gave them another chance, for the first time in years, and I can see where the appeal is, but it is completely boring to me. I think that unless I have a HUGE 180 and start loving them, this is the last I'm going to say on the subject.

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Jan 12 2007, 08:36 PM)
Okay, tell you what. I saw Scenes from a Memory checked in at the library the other day and I grabbed it, thinking maybe I should give it a second listen. And to be honest, there were a few guitar parts or whatever where I went "oh, that's cool," but overall, it just seems to be missing something. They seem like they have everything in place musically, so by all rights they should be brilliant. I want them to be brilliant. But the whole thing just seemed very cold and impersonal to me, it completely lacked the sense of "warmth" that, say, a Rush or a Yes album has.

So I gave them another chance, for the first time in years, and I can see where the appeal is, but it is completely boring to me. I think that unless I have a HUGE 180 and start loving them, this is the last I'm going to say on the subject.

That's an interesting subject. When scnenes first came out I didn't like it for about six months, then kinda liked it, saw it live, listened some more, then finally loved it. Now I'm sick of it. It's gotta be the most challenging album to listen to. I think it's a great piece of work overall, though. It was their breakthrough album for them like 2112 was for rush. They kept the producers out of the studio, did what they wanted and succeeded. They would have broken up for sure if that album didn't do well. And they did it on their terms...

I saw some posts here about Derick Sherinian, their 2nd keyboardist and thought I'd share this story: When DT came to my town on tour to support Awake I went to see them expecting again to see Kevin Moore on keyboards. It was a total shocker that they had Derick. I had no idea who he was or why Kevin was gone. That was before dreamtheater.net, I guess. lol rofl3.gif With the internet you pretty much find out someone's replaced the minute it happens!

I don't like Scenes at all. Extended solos are nice, but they have no place on a story-driven concept album. If they cut the solos a bit, they might have had a chance for making the story actually be a bit cohesive. Anyway, with that said...

Six Degrees>Awake>I&W(too short!)>FII=Octavarium>Scenes From a Memory

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Jan 12 2007, 09:36 PM)

no offence but coming form a kid who thinks "crazy" was the song of the year, your post has no credibility to me. sorry.

QUOTE (BillBuckner @ Jan 13 2007, 06:54 PM)
Ya know, a bit of respect can go a long way.

i know, sometimes i cant help myself. im sorry, oh and by the way, thanks for letting the ball go through your legs. laugh.gif