Official Dream Theater Thread

Tick

QUOTE (guitarman_2112 @ Sep 2 2006, 09:41 PM)
kk. i don't think that the store had either one of those, but then again i wasn't really looking for dream theater stuff when i went in.

i'm not a metal fan, but this stuff is really good. i guess it must be the progressive part of it.

thats because dream theater is far more then metal.

true.

from time to time my friends has tried to get me to listen to metal and all i hear, no offence, is a bunch of pointless screaming and a constant cruching sound thats supposed to be guitar.

but DT is so much better than that, and i can actually listen to it without wanting to turn it off!!

I am just listening to the track " Octavarium " now and its fantastic !!!

I have 3 Dream Theatre albums now

Octavarium , Train of Thought and Scenes From a Memory

what would you suggest i get hold of next ??

Edited by Natural Rush

A Change of Seasons.

Some nice cover versions, performed live - and a 20-odd minute epis of original material.

You should be able to pick it up pretty cheaply too as it was classified as an EP (though in fact is longer than some regular albums I've heard)

QUOTE (Natural Rush @ Sep 4 2006, 03:48 PM)
I am just listening to the track " Octavarium " now and its fantastic !!!

I have 3 Dream Theatre albums now

Octavarium , Train of Thought and Scenes From a Memory

what would you suggest i get hold of next ??

Images and Words.

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Sep 4 2006, 06:44 PM)
scenes from a memory

there best, bar none ! yes.gif

"Score" is their best DVD to date. I'd dare to say it's one of the best music dvd's I own, and I've been collecting since 1997. Right up there with rush R30.

If you're a DT fan don't hesitate to get it. Like, today! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

...Agree to the above post. Score makes up for the poor performance on the Budokon disc and highlights DT on a very good night. J.LaBrie sounds better than he has in a very long time. Rush could learn a little something about producing a quality DVD from DT.

To the person looking for more DT to buy, Scenes From A Memory is a must have.

QUOTE (OneHalf-D @ Sep 12 2006, 05:27 PM)
...Agree to the above post. Score makes up for the poor performance on the Budokon disc and highlights DT on a very good night. J.LaBrie sounds better than he has in a very long time. Rush could learn a little something about producing a quality DVD from DT.

well said. their performance was stellar. That's always paramount in making a great dvd applaudit.gif

I was loaned a couple of DT CDs a few months ago and thought that they were worth further investigation.

I bought the Score DVD and although I have only watched it once, I was impressed with the skill of the players, particularly Portnoy and Petrucci. It is really good to find something new and interesting to listen to.

Forget the comparisons with RUSH, just listen to them for what they are

I used to LOVE Dream Theater back in the beginning. Even "When Day and Dream Unite" is pretty good. You have to love the instrumental, YSTE JAM!! MAJESTY!

I always thought that were the torch bearers of the modern progressive rock movement. Today I still think they are.

I have seen this band 12 times. Enough is enough unless I get the urge to go some year.

I loved "Images" and "Awake" and even "Metropolis" is outstanding.

"Falling into Infinity" is solid but I prefer the other three records mentioned above.

Didn't care for "Turbulence." Maybe I should listen to it some more.

"Train of Thought" was very good. A "back to basics" if you will. Very Metallica influenced.

"Octavarium" is their best release in a long time.

Excellent record.

I openly rip Mike a lot on here on purpose.

There is no doubt that he is one of the best drummers on the planet. Unfortunately Mike suffers from L.U.D.

That's "Lars Ulrich Disease."

Gigantic EGOS really do bug me. pokey.gif

Oh well, I still respect him as a player.

Cheers!

Earl

QUOTE (Margana @ Sep 17 2006, 03:11 PM)
As someone who is just getting into Dream Theater, I have watched the Score DVD and am suitably impressed.
However, could someone tell me (and I hope it is for technical reasons) why Mike Portny has a mirror as part of his kit?

I believe the mirror was to allow him to see the conductor/orchestra.

QUOTE (Dreamline @ Dec 8 2005, 12:57 PM)

I'm not a Portnoy fan - Neil would wipe the floor with him every time - Portnoy is just a Peart-wannabe

Petrucci v. Lerxt? Too different to compare. I'd venture to suggest that Petrucci is a better soloist - but Alex has his strengths too so I won't judge on that one.

Myung v. Ged? hard to separate technically. Ged wins by a mile in personality and stage presence though.

Singers? Not a fan of La Brie myself - but then many people are put off by Ged's singing too (not me) .. .so hard to judge that one too.

Where DT do come out on top is Jordan Rudess. That guy is a genius - but as he has no counterpart (pun intended) in Rush, againi its not a calid comparison.

Can't compare apples and oranges. Also, you can't say that any member of Rush would wipe the floor with any member from DT. Technique and musical knowledge, DT is superior. peart could probably "wipe" the floor with Mike when it comes to Midi, triggering, xylophone and percussion. I would rethink that statement though if kept to acoustic drums. The Professor pioneered, but is definitely not the king anymore. That's alright, he has made HUGE contributions that without which, we wouldn't have the greats today inspired by the Professor.

Geddy may have the personality, but Myung is a vastly different player and Geddy has terrible technique, but he has chops and gets the job done. He is also the front man, something Myung is not, so this is an irrelevant comparison.

It wouldnt' matter if you had a "counterpart" in Rush that played keys. Jordan has no counterpart. whether you like him or not, He's a genius and there aren't any equaling that brilliance out now, and doubtfully for a long time to come. You can't train people to be prodigious

QUOTE (OneHalf-D @ Sep 12 2006, 06:27 PM)

lol

Are you serious? Poor performance? As a trained musician, I haven't really seen anything on that Budokan performance that would lead me to see anything less than about 99% perfect. I was at the NY show 2 weeks before the shoot in Japan and LaBrie was amazing both times as was the entire cast.

I was at the Radio City show and it was great to see that although many people will say, "He couldn't have sung that good, there has to be overdubs", you can hear him like a 1/4 tone flat here or there (like 3 times the entire show) and the rest of the time LaBrie really was that sick, as was the rest of the guys. I can say this because like any Rush or DT fan and maybe moreso being a musician, I am highly analytical of performances. Plus I don't drink or do drugs so I know what I saw those nights.

Poor Performance.......if you don't mind me asking, please, could you enlighten what the poor performance remark was based on? Is it because they didn't play enough old tunes? What they did play, they nailed. People aren't happy with the RCMH show because of the orchestra and what not - setlist. I didn't care much for the orchestra but moreso about sitting through 6 degrees when I've seen that all before and that's a big block of time that would have been nicely utilized on other tunes......however, I was only a part of that night. That night was their dream come true and they deserved to do what they thought was fitting for them. I was very pleased and after watching and listening to the Score stuff, I really have come to like the orchestrations added where they weren't before.

Poor performance? lol some people, lol

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Aug 26 2006, 06:31 PM)
QUOTE (tick @ Aug 25 2006, 10:31 PM)
IF YOU WATCHED TONIGHTS DREAM THEATER CONCERT EXCERPTS AND DID'NT LIKE IT THEN YOU DONT LIKE DREAM THEATER ! 1022.gif I AGREE TANG, THOSE WERE THE TWO BEST. I CANT WAIT TILL MY COPY ARRIVES ! ! !

Stop shouting already. laugh.gif

I watched it. I can dig some songs, but mostly I think they do too much at the expense of losing the song in favor of showing off. Too many virtuosoes in one band maybe? While there was a lot of HOLY f**k moments... the show for me... was boring. I fell asleep. This doesn't prevent me from trying to "get" their appeal. I'm still listening. The last album is growing on me. yes.gif

it isn't showing off......its called writing and performing music.

I just been listening to " As i am " off the Train Of Thought Album

What a fantastic song this is , i only just got into DT myself and have 3 albums and i will get some more soon as i am loving these !!

1022.gif 1022.gif