Official Dream Theater Thread

Tick

IF YOU WATCHED TONIGHTS DREAM THEATER CONCERT EXCERPTS AND DID'NT LIKE IT THEN YOU DONT LIKE DREAM THEATER ! 1022.gif I AGREE TANG, THOSE WERE THE TWO BEST. I CANT WAIT TILL MY COPY ARRIVES ! ! !

I might have to watch it again.... here the times its playing again the weekend.

VH1 Classic will be airing a 1 hour, abbreviated version of Dream Theater's upcoming DVD "Score" several times at the end of the month. Each airing is preceeded with a 1 hour episode of Metal Mania co-hosted by Mike Portnoy and John Petrucci.

Here is a listing of few of the airings:

Fri 8/25:

--- DT on "Metal Mania" - 8pm EST/5pm PST

--- Score on "In Concert" - 9pm EST/6pm PST

--- DT on "Metal Mania" - 11pm EST/8pm PST

--- Score on "In Concert" - Midnight EST/9pm PST

Sat 8/26:

--- DT on "Metal Mania" - 1pm EST/10am PST

--- Score on "In Concert" - 2pm EST/11am PST

Sun 8/27:

--- DT on "Metal Mania" - 6pm EST/3pm PST

--- Score on "In Concert" - 7pm EST/4am PST

** Note that "VH1 Classic" is a different channel than "VH1"

QUOTE (tick @ Aug 25 2006, 10:31 PM)
IF YOU WATCHED TONIGHTS DREAM THEATER CONCERT EXCERPTS AND DID'NT LIKE IT THEN YOU DONT LIKE DREAM THEATER ! 1022.gif I AGREE TANG, THOSE WERE THE TWO BEST. I CANT WAIT TILL MY COPY ARRIVES ! ! !

Stop shouting already. laugh.gif

I watched it. I can dig some songs, but mostly I think they do too much at the expense of losing the song in favor of showing off. Too many virtuosoes in one band maybe? While there was a lot of HOLY f**k moments... the show for me... was boring. I fell asleep. This doesn't prevent me from trying to "get" their appeal. I'm still listening. The last album is growing on me. yes.gif

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Aug 26 2006, 06:31 PM)

I watched it. I can dig some songs, but mostly I think they do too much at the expense of losing the song in favor of showing off. Too many virtuosoes in one band maybe? While there was a lot of HOLY f**k moments... the show for me... was boring. I fell asleep. This doesn't prevent me from trying to "get" their appeal. I'm still listening. The last album is growing on me. yes.gif

i loved it as you may have guessed and by the last album do you mean octavarium ? did you buy it ?

QUOTE (tick @ Aug 26 2006, 06:43 PM)
QUOTE (Necromancer @ Aug 26 2006, 06:31 PM)

i loved it as you may have guessed and by the last album do you mean octavarium ? did you buy it ?

no. the one I bought a few months ago. at the first bake the rolls. the one before octavarium. can't think of the name. duh.

i am getting more into Liquid Tension though. That's a good cd. Don't know it's name either. laugh.gif

I will give Octavarium a try. I can't see how a band with such amazing players isn't gripping me, so I want to keep trying. yes.gif

I am one of those that doesn't get this whole "wank-fest" accusation - particularly from die-hard Rush fans. Have you listened to La Villa Strangiato recently?

(LVS is my favourite Rush tune BTW so no criticism of them implied)

James LaBrie is the best vocalist ever

I&W tour footage of Surrounded --

Why did he have to go rupture his vocal chords? angry.gif

Youtube is totally f***ing up the audio/video synch for me, so don't be surprised unsure.gif

This is the same show as the Pull Me Under clip I posted earlier.

James' voice on the I&W tour totally pwns his 8VM voice yes.gif

Howz the new DVD? My guitarist went to that show in NY & said it was incredible. I can't wait to buy and watch it, but I've had band practice every single night.

Any reviews? I haven't had time to read the posts.

Tick, I'm sure you've watched it, eh?

Thanks

-TMD

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Aug 28 2006, 09:51 PM)
I now know what DVD I'm getting after score: That would be Images & Words live in Tokyo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-P2gDZjGeU

^^that just gave me chills.

That's about the same show I saw them play a few times when they first started touring (like 4 shows in a year), when James joined. They started every show with Metropolis (my fav) and it was definately a spine-chilling show! I'd highly recommend that dvd. It has 5 years in a livetime on it, too. Great price as well!!!! wink.gif

i viewed "score" last night and it was nothing short of incredible. i loved the band playing with the orchestra, it gave me goose bumps watching it. octavarium, 6 degrees and sacrificed sons blew me away. i also would say the one hour documentary was worth buying the dvd for that alone. im a huge fan of the band so my opinion is bias but i totally loved it ! 1022.gif

Thanks Tick,

I also saw the reviews on amazon, which concur with my guitarist's recollection of the show. Plus, the extras incld history will be nice. I talked to a girl on MySpace studying at Berklee and she said the core members' signatures are on the wall there on a plaque, which is kinda cool.

Can't wait to see these discs!!!!!

QUOTE (the_masked_drummer @ Aug 31 2006, 10:21 AM)
Thanks Tick,
I also saw the reviews on amazon, which concur with my guitarist's recollection of the show. Plus, the extras incld history will be nice. I talked to a girl on MySpace studying at Berklee and she said the core members' signatures are on the wall there on a plaque, which is kinda cool.

you know the crazy thing is i totally could have been at that show but i didnt feel like going by myself so i passed in favor of the connecticut show for which i had 3rd row center. i had no idea what i was missing, im still kicking myself for that blunder.

QUOTE (tick @ Aug 31 2006, 09:27 AM)
QUOTE (the_masked_drummer @ Aug 31 2006, 10:21 AM)
Thanks Tick,

you know the crazy thing is i totally could have been at that show but i didnt feel like going by myself so i passed in favor of the connecticut show for which i had 3rd row center. i had no idea what i was missing, im still kicking myself for that blunder.

DOH! JOHNNY SAID IT WAS AMAZING! I figured I'd seen them enough but I kicked myself in the butt for not going, too! lol

Oh well, at least we've got the dvd...(a constant reminder of what we missed)

i just bought my first dream theater cd last night. i had heard erotomania before and i loved it, so when i saw octavarium on the shelf for $9.99 i picked up a copy. i had no idea what there other stuff would sound like but ITS AMAZING!! these guys are awsome!! the guitar work is wicked!!! so tonight i picked up awake and its also sick!!!

what other cds should i get??

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Sep 2 2006, 07:14 PM)
Scenes from a Memory
Images and Words

^^those two should come next. If you can only get one at a time, then in that order too.

yes.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif 1022.gif

kk. i don't think that the store had either one of those, but then again i wasn't really looking for dream theater stuff when i went in.

i'm not a metal fan, but this stuff is really good. i guess it must be the progressive part of it.

QUOTE (Rush! @ Sep 2 2006, 09:37 PM)
Just bought Images & Words today, but I also bought Cream - Disraeli Gears. I'm listening to DG now, I may listen to I&W either tonight or tomorrow. Don't know if I'll have a chance tonight. The artwork is great.

Most of DT's artwork is awesome. My personal favorite is Awake:

http://digilander.libero.it/superdelfino/SitoNet/dream/DT%20AWAKE%20front.jpg