Official Dream Theater Thread

Tick

48 minutes ago, Rod in Toronto said:

Do I prefer their output with Portnoy? Yes.

Do I want Portnoy to come back? No.

The band has evolved quite nicely, their status is bigger than ever, and they keep putting out quality material. I do feel nostalgic about the Portnoy years, but even if he came back today, it wouldn't be the same. I hope they can do a celebratory tour or a one-off show at some point, but they're doing just fine without him.

honestly it's been over a decade.  and people are STILL on this,  lol

he's not coming back.....like move on if it irks you THAT much folks.

Mick

• Like 3

Just now, bluefox4000 said:

Mick

I mean, I'm still on the whole Roger Waters and Pink Floyd thing, lol.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

I mean, I'm still on the whole Roger Waters and Pink Floyd thing, lol.

I still can't believe the Beatles replaced Paul after he died in that car crash.

:laugh:

Mick

• Haha 3

55 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

I still can't believe the Beatles replaced Paul after he died in that car crash.

:laugh:

Mick

Oh my god this really made me laugh 😂

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, KenJennings said:

Since Portnoy left, only one of their releases (Dream Theater) has been a top-10 Dream Theater album. In fact, think I'd put their last three releases in the bottom three places of all their studio work. I'd rather listen to Falling Into Infinity or When Dream and Day Unite all day ahead of The Astonishing, Distance Over Time or A View From the Top of the World.

Perhaps your expectations were too high. There was no reason to believe that once Portnoy left the band was going to have multiple albums that would crack their top ten. Especially since they were well past their creative peak even before Portnoy left.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, bluefox4000 said:

Mick

A decade is nothing. How long were people going on and on about Ozzy reuniting and touring with Black Sabbath before it finally happened? That was at least 20 years. What about all the whining Roth era Van Halen fans did for years about them getting back together? Fans will go on about it until it happens. Bringing back Portnoy more than likely won't result in the band coming out with another Images and Words or Scenes From A Memory but they will still want to see it just so they as fans can get their closure.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, J2112YYZ said:

A decade is nothing. How long were people going on and on about Ozzy reuniting and touring with Black Sabbath before it finally happened? That was at least 20 years. What about all the whining Roth era Van Halen fans did for years about them getting back together? Fans will go on about it until it happens. Bringing back Portnoy more than likely won't result in the band coming out with another Images and Words or Scenes From A Memory but they will still want to see it just so they as fans can get their closure.

and you know what after all this the reunion album would probably suck.  As some do.  

Scenes from the Astonishing........with growls by Mike portnoy.

:thumbsup:

Mick

• Haha 2

On 7/13/2022 at 3:21 PM, tangy said:

I see petrucci is taking out portnoy and Dave LaRue for a solo tour this fall. Should be great. I saw that line up back in the day as part of the G3 tour.

I'd like to try and make this show. Should be fun.

Listening to A View From The Top Of The World today. Wondering when they'll tour again. I hope I can see them with my dad next time.

• Like 1

On 11/6/2022 at 12:33 PM, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Listening to A View From The Top Of The World today. Wondering when they'll tour again. I hope I can see them with my dad next time.

Might find your answer on the Dream Theater Forum.  I haven't been there in a little while but I'm due to check back in. I'm going to see Jordan Rudess solo from the front row behind some tables in about a month.

• Like 3

Jordan is still doing random dates, Petrucci is doing his first solo tour right now, with Portnoy on drums and Dave LaRue on bass. There are European tour dates for DT starting January, and then I believe there will be a second leg of the View from the Top of the World Tour. Then a new album will be recorded in Q3 2023.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Rod in Toronto said:

Jordan is still doing random dates, Petrucci is doing his first solo tour right now, with Portnoy on drums and Dave LaRue on bass. There are European tour dates for DT starting January, and then I believe there will be a second leg of the View from the Top of the World Tour. Then a new album will be recorded in Q3 2023.

Second US leg would be nice.....

7 hours ago, Rod in Toronto said:

Oh a new album! I wasn’t really even thinking about that… yeah I guess that would make sense by then though!

On 7/16/2022 at 8:43 AM, bluefox4000 said:

and you know what after all this the reunion album would probably suck.  As some do.  

Scenes from the Astonishing........with growls by Mike portnoy.

:thumbsup:

Mick

The return of Eat My Ass and Balls.....

• Haha 2

On 11/12/2022 at 5:00 AM, Rod in Toronto said:

I'll be curious what the next one sounds like. I really love the last two, they hadn't put out consistently good albums like that in a while. A View is basically a less restrained evolution of Distance Over Time. Not sure where they can go for the next album without sounding too similar to past efforts.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Analog Cub said:

I'll be curious what the next one sounds like. I really love the last two, they hadn't put out consistently good albums like that in a while. A View is basically a less restrained evolution of Distance Over Time. Not sure where they can go for the next album without sounding too similar to past efforts.

I always think that about DT, yet they almost always find a way to make it fresh.

• Like 2

On 11/17/2022 at 1:07 PM, The Analog Cub said:

Another live album would be nice....

• Like 1

Just played some DT and let me say........i love them so much.

i can go months without playing them.  When i come back it's like a get a HUGE dopamine rush.  And the only thing my brain says is........all other bands suck Need DT:laugh:

The funny thing is they can be AWFUL but they never go long before they're being awesome again.

Again I say to you......I love them so much.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 3

On 12/1/2022 at 5:54 PM, tangy said:

Yes indeed. Great stuff. Their first record is one of mine all time fave instrumental records. 3 minute warning!

Love them all but I love the Live 2008 Box best. So much fruity goodness on that.

Jordan did a really sweet version of Shades Of Hope from the most recent Liquid Tension album at last night's concert.

• Like 1