Official Dream Theater Thread

Tick

Great concert last night. Dream Theater were in top form - mostly tracks from the new album but a few older ones as well.

Tesseract opened - I had never heard them before - they sounded ok but i would need to listen to their studio stuff.

Sound for both bands was very good, and DT's backdrop videos were superb.

4abZ5p.jpg

A couple of pics from my phone -

NpSdzI.jpg

BeIUgl.jpg

0E3ipo.jpg

• Like 4

I have the last three Tesseract albums, they're very diverse and ... strange.  I've heard it described as 'math prog' or 'math rock', and it's certainly taking basic song form and flipping it on its head.  But they do it very precisely and the vocalist, although maybe not a perfect fit for the music, is top notch.  It's a band I like, but take in small doses.  Here's a couple tracks I like if you want someplace to start.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, stoopid said:

I have the last three Tesseract albums, they're very diverse and ... strange.  I've heard it described as 'math prog' or 'math rock', and it's certainly taking basic song form and flipping it on its head.  But they do it very precisely and the vocalist, although maybe not a perfect fit for the music, is top notch.  It's a band I like, but take in small doses.  Here's a couple tracks I like if you want someplace to start.

The singer came across very well last night .... I just need to get my head around the music.

• Like 1

Just now, zepphead said:

The singer came across very well last night .... I just need to get my head around the music.

Animals as Leaders with fewer parts and vocals.  It's nerd rock.  Hexes is an objectively awesome track though, one of my faves by any band (probably a top 50 song all time for me tbh).  The way it weaves into that crescendo ending is perfect songwriting IMO.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, stoopid said:

Animals as Leaders with fewer parts and vocals.  It's nerd rock.  Hexes is an objectively awesome track though, one of my faves by any band (probably a top 50 song all time for me tbh).  The way it weaves into that crescendo ending is perfect songwriting IMO.

I'm more of a fan of Animals As Leaders though I'm still kind of a novice fan of them. My son's friend burned a few of their CDs for me a while back.

3 minutes ago, ytserush said:

I'm more of a fan of Animals As Leaders though I'm still kind of a novice fan of them. My son's friend burned a few of their CDs for me a while back.

Wait, people still burn CDs?

9 hours ago, zepphead said:

Great concert last night. Dream Theater were in top form - mostly tracks from the new album but a few older ones as well.

Tesseract opened - I had never heard them before - they sounded ok but i would need to listen to their studio stuff.

Sound for both bands was very good, and DT's backdrop videos were superb.

4abZ5p.jpg

A couple of pics from my phone -

NpSdzI.jpg

BeIUgl.jpg

0E3ipo.jpg

Glad you had a great time Zepphead! Great pics! Seeing that setlist again reminded me of when I saw them last month, man... what a great night.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Glad you had a great time Zepphead! Great pics! Seeing that setlist again reminded me of when I saw them last month, man... what a great night.

It was just great to be back to live shows! - This was our first since the pandemic started.

We were a bit cautious and wore masks through the entire gig (some people did but very much in the minority).

Our rationale was that we are heading to the sun for a week long vacation on Sunday so we did not want to get Covid at the last minute!!

Anyway, it did not impair our enjoyment and we look forward to our next show (and also Gran Canaria on Sunday!!! :wink:)

• Like 4

On 4/22/2022 at 2:24 AM, zepphead said:

It was just great to be back to live shows! - This was our first since the pandemic started.

We were a bit cautious and wore masks through the entire gig (some people did but very much in the minority).

Our rationale was that we are heading to the sun for a week long vacation on Sunday so we did not want to get Covid at the last minute!!

Anyway, it did not impair our enjoyment and we look forward to our next show (and also Gran Canaria on Sunday!!! :wink:)

We're still be cautious and picking our concerts although we did enjoy Transatlantic back to back a few weeks ago.   Definitely cutting back to only the best.

• Like 1

On 4/30/2022 at 1:55 AM, ytserush said:

We're still be cautious and picking our concerts although we did enjoy Transatlantic back to back a few weeks ago.   Definitely cutting back to only the best.

Yeah ..... we are the same - only must see shows at the moment.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rod in Toronto said:

I did an interview with Jordan Rudess last week, and we published it today:

https://www.sonicperspectives.com/interviews/interview-with-jordan-c-rudess/

Please like, comment, share, subscribe...any help is appreciated!

Oooo looking forward to reading this!

• Like 1

frankly, I wish they'd give mangina the axe. guy's got no soul, in a band that's already quite short on that sort of thing

portnoy had personality. hand the man a beer and let's get a new dream theater record that doesn't sound like it was made by an AI program

• Like 2

4 hours ago, bathory said:

frankly, I wish they'd give mangina the axe. guy's got no soul, in a band that's already quite short on that sort of thing

portnoy had personality. hand the man a beer and let's get a new dream theater record that doesn't sound like it was made by an AI program

I heard this on the first Mangini album, very robotic performances. He's likely heard the criticisms because his last two albums have been much more inventive, and maybe more 'organic' if that's the proper word for drummer feel.

44 minutes ago, stoopid said:

I heard this on the first Mangini album, very robotic performances. He's likely heard the criticisms because his last two albums have been much more inventive, and maybe more 'organic' if that's the proper word for drummer feel.

Honestly, I don't think Portnoy has ever sounded "organic" to my ears. He's a technical monster who's incredibly inventive both with beats and fills, but I don't hear anything I'd call organic in there. So to me, that same criticism being leveled at Mangini just doesn't hold any meaning.  I'll agree that on the first few albums with DT he felt like he was holding back, probably to keep from anyone saying he just copied Portnoy's styles. But these last couple, and A View most especially, have really seen him showing off and writing parts that are just as exciting as anything Portnoy ever wrote, without feeling like a copycat. But main point is, I don't come to DT for "organic feel," I'll go listen to The Band or something if that's what I want, lol.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bathory said:

Back in the day I was happy that they survived Portnoy, and was glad to see them carrying on.

But I agree.... Eat My Ass and Balls is just as much a part of DT as the Rush worship and high end musicmanship.

I love Mangini.  But perhaps it is now time for DT to reunite and light the world on fire.

Plus....dynamic setlists. Portnoy was the master.

f***ing guy isn't going to ever play with Ged and Al.... time for him to return to the DT fold.

Mangini can join Satriani's band or something. Or maybe replace Lars. LMAO.

• Like 2

On 7/1/2022 at 3:23 PM, bathory said:

I skipped the last ATL show cause the setlist was a tad queef. I just wanna hear old shit! 

For me that set was the reason to go.  But then I've seen just about all there is to see from them anyway.

16 hours ago, grep said:

Back in the day I was happy that they survived Portnoy, and was glad to see them carrying on.

But I agree.... Eat My Ass and Balls is just as much a part of DT as the Rush worship and high end musicmanship.

I love Mangini.  But perhaps it is now time for DT to reunite and light the world on fire.

Plus....dynamic setlists. Portnoy was the master.

f***ing guy isn't going to ever play with Ged and Al.... time for him to return to the DT fold.

Mangini can join Satriani's band or something. Or maybe replace Lars. LMAO.

Those set lists aren't going to happen anymore (Portnoy or no Portnoy). Just be glad you were around to experience them.

• Like 4

On 7/2/2022 at 4:22 PM, ytserush said:

Those set lists aren't going to happen anymore (Portnoy or no Portnoy). Just be glad you were around to experience them.

Smile.....because it happened.

I don't care if portnoy comes back myself.  2 out of the 4 Mangini records are some of my fav DT records ever (only awful one is the Astonishing.....and the last was tremendous IMO and the self titled is in my top 5.)

I remember when Mike P. threw his fit and left.  i was thrilled.  i thought his fial 2  DT albums were the absolute pits and WAY too dominated by him.

besides if you wanna see Mike P.  pick a band......any band......he's sure to be in one.:laugh:

Mick

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Since Portnoy left, only one of their releases (Dream Theater) has been a top-10 Dream Theater album. In fact, think I'd put their last three releases in the bottom three places of all their studio work. I'd rather listen to Falling Into Infinity or When Dream and Day Unite all day ahead of The Astonishing, Distance Over Time or A View From the Top of the World.

Edited by KenJennings

Do I prefer their output with Portnoy? Yes.

Do I want Portnoy to come back? No.

The band has evolved quite nicely, their status is bigger than ever, and they keep putting out quality material. I do feel nostalgic about the Portnoy years, but even if he came back today, it wouldn't be the same. I hope they can do a celebratory tour or a one-off show at some point, but they're doing just fine without him.

• Like 3