Official Dream Theater Thread

Tick

QUOTE (tick @ May 10 2006, 10:45 PM)
QUOTE (ABZ Highlander @ May 10 2006, 02:20 PM)
Just bought my First Dream Theater Album at the weekend, Scenes from a Memory, It F*ckin Rocks!!

I'd heard bits and pieces of their stuff before, but never paid too much heed, like a dumbass laugh.gif

I'll be buying some more of their albums, that's for sure yes.gif

1022.gif  1022.gif  1022.gif

its about f**king time ! 1022.gif trink36.gif wink.gif

laugh.gif

My thought's exactly mate!!

trink39.gif

Okay. Quick question. In the beginning of The Glass Prison, from SDoIT, is there a strange "rain" sound? It almost sounds like rain, but it just sounds terrible. I'm just asking to see if my CD is messed up.

QUOTE (tangdog @ May 15 2006, 08:35 PM)
The Glass Prison and Panic Attack will be included in the forthcoming Gigantour DVD per Mike Portnoy. So will Cemetary Gates!!!

source

That's good news, cuz Glass Prison isn't on any DVD's yet. Sweet!

QUOTE (YYXanadu @ May 15 2006, 08:02 PM)
Okay. Quick question. In the beginning of The Glass Prison, from SDoIT, is there a strange "rain" sound? It almost sounds like rain, but it just sounds terrible. I'm just asking to see if my CD is messed up.

I think that's just white noise from a tone generator as a special effect. Your CD isn't messed up.

GLASS PRISION WAS AWESOME LIVE ! 1022.gif

When I saw them do Glass PRison live for the first time on their 7doit tour, I loved the tune but didn't know it was written about Portnoy's alcoholism. I think he's been doing great ever since. Now if he could just quit doing fat chunky rails of cola he'd settle down a little bit. lol b_sigh.gif

QUOTE (the_masked_drummer @ May 16 2006, 12:28 PM)
When I saw them do Glass PRison live for the first time on their 7doit tour, I loved the tune but didn't know it was written about Portnoy's alcoholism. I think he's been doing great ever since. Now if he could just quit doing fat chunky rails of cola he'd settle down a little bit. lol b_sigh.gif

I just saw Danny Carey for the first time last night and I'd say Portnoy roasts his ass, but that's just my opinion. Danny has a great style, though. One of the best, for sure.

The sound that begins SDOIT is the same sound at the end of SFAM. Same thing with the last sound of SDOIT is the first of Train of Thought. They also did it with TOT and Octavarium.

I don't think they are trying to give the impression that each album is a continuation of the previous, but that it's just a little clever thing they have done the past few releases for the hell of it.

QUOTE (RushRevisited @ May 16 2006, 09:56 AM)
Too bad they didn't play it this tour sad.gif

they did at the connecticut show ! that and octavarium were the two highlights for me.

DT fanatic checking in. What to say about such an extrodinary band. I gave up trying to convince the DT haters a long time ago. It's like trying to convince RS magazine that Rush should be in the Hall of Fame. I still havn't heard Misunderstood live, that will be like hearing Camera Eye.

As for personal performance, I think people dislike MP personally and that affects his approval rating as a drummer. I, for one, find his antics annoying but his drumming can and usually is spactacular. JP is just a witch. He's been wrongly accused of being a straight shredder; check out Hollow Years on the Budokon DVD.

Rudess is in a class by himself

Myung is.....Myung

...And I gave up rating singers a long time ago. They are of course, JUST SINGERS!

QUOTE (YYXanadu @ May 15 2006, 08:02 PM)

It is the static sound of a record player playing with the needle knocked off to the side of the record.

Wake up Nicholas.

QUOTE (HigherWater @ May 20 2006, 04:10 PM)
DT fanatic checking in. What to say about such an extrodinary band. I gave up trying to convince the DT haters a long time ago. It's like trying to convince RS magazine that Rush should be in the Hall of Fame. I still havn't heard Misunderstood live, that will be like hearing Camera Eye.

As for personal performance, I think people dislike MP personally and that affects his approval rating as a drummer. I, for one, find his antics annoying but his drumming can and usually is spactacular. JP is just a witch. He's been wrongly accused of being a straight shredder; check out Hollow Years on the Budokon DVD.
Myung is.....Myung
...And I gave up rating singers a long time ago. They are of course, JUST SINGERS!

JUST SINGERS ! rage.gif IVE BEEN SINGING FOR TWENTY YEARS AND WITHOUT A GOOD SINGER ANY BAND SUCKS !

QUOTE (tick @ May 23 2006, 05:44 AM)
QUOTE (HigherWater @ May 20 2006, 04:10 PM)

Myung is.....Myung

JUST SINGERS ! rage.gif IVE BEEN SINGING FOR TWENTY YEARS AND WITHOUT A GOOD SINGER ANY BAND SUCKS !

Ahh, don't take it personally Tick. Singers have a damn hard job. I have a huge amount of respect for what they have to do every night. I'm just poking a little fun at the James LaBrie's and Geoff Tate's of the world that see themselves as Man-Diva's. I just read an interview with LaBrie where he talks about his Broadway dreams. Give me a break!

I will politely disagree with you on one point, though. In a band like Dream Theater, success is enhanced by the offerings of the singer but they'd be just fine with Bippy the Wondermutt behind the mike.

OK, seeing the love for Dream Theater on this board I've bought an MP3 with the following albums on it. Could you old hands let me know which album, or even better which song, I should start with?

Thanks

Falling into infinity

Live at the Marquee

A Chang of Season

Awake

Images & Words

Live at USA

Once in a Live Time

Liquid Tension Experiment

Love to all

Disco

QUOTE (Disco @ May 25 2006, 05:33 AM)
OK, seeing the love for Dream Theater on this board I've bought an MP3 with the following albums on it. Could you old hands let me know which album, or even better which song, I should start with?

Thanks

Falling into infinity
Live at the Marquee
A Chang of Season
Awake
Images & Words
Live at USA
Once in a Live Time
Liquid Tension Experiment

Love to all

Disco

Metropolis off images and words is my fav DT song. Which album? Depends on what you like. If you really like metal, Train of THought is good. If you like concept albums then Scenes from a Memory is good. Images and Words is a good starting point. That's their first album with their current singer...

ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

Thanks for the tip. I've just listened to Metropolis and I'm, well, exhausted...

Edited by Disco

QUOTE (Disco @ May 25 2006, 06:55 AM)
ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

Thanks for the tip. I've just listened to Metropolis and I'm, well, exhausted...

Just listen to it a few times and it'll grow on you. When I first listened to it, it wore me down. Once you start to digest all it's complexities, you might start to love it like I did. wink.gif

..and now listening to Once in a Live Time.

My head hurts !!!!!

Once in a very brief while I get a glimpse of an emotion without trying, such as the beginning of Voices.

But usually it takes for me to dig into the music to hear the emotion, it's just to frantic and surreally complex to let any but the most ardent listener in. Once I stop concentrating it just makes my head hurt...

The strangest thing is that amongst all this widdling the singer says 'Keep your hands in the air, keep it going!' People are, people are clapping along???

Love

Disco

PS I'll keep going for a bit longer MD...

Edited by Disco