Official Dream Theater Thread

Tick

Not having an Evening With show this time has to do with the financials of the tour. Opening bands pay a sum to be on the same bill as giants like DT, and this tour saves every penny they could in order to make it viable and low risk.

And here I thought they were doing extremely well as a band with a pretty large following. Well......I can only hope they go out on a limb next time around and really give us 2 full set’s again like the DOT tour which was an amazing evening. That set spoiled me. DT’s music is simply not compact enough for the most part to do one set these days. The catalog is vast now.

Did they have to cancel shows because of the pandemic? If they did and lost money, perhaps having an opener this time was the better financial decision instead of taking on all the costs themselves.

Yes, the Distance Over Time tour was cut short because of covid. And they are financially stable, but not rich enough to go on the road with a risk of cancelling shows...there's the crew to be paid, and other costs that incur if a whole tour is scrapped. Also...the Astonishing tour didn't sell enough tickets, so the "Images, Words and Beyond Tour", which originally was going to be only ONE show, turned into a whole tour, just to cover the losses of the Astonishing dates. Again, they're a profitable unit, but they run a tight ship.

Makes sense. Covid has done an number on bands and tours.

I hope they can put something really epic together next time out.....and I gotta be honest too. I really hope Mike P comes back into the fold for their next tour. I miss the crap outta his drumming in this band. Mangini is not human and incredible....but Mike’s playing is just more organic and I think while all of them are healthy and alive and getting along they should find it within themselves to do this if....they desire it (which I hope they do).

It would really be special.

I wouldn’t mind him guesting on a song or two, but Mangini doesn’t deserve to be cast aside just because the other guys made up with Portnoy. Maybe they could do one of those dueling drum set things like King Crimson for an old classic.

Not having an Evening With show this time has to do with the financials of the tour. Opening bands pay a sum to be on the same bill as giants like DT, and this tour saves every penny they could in order to make it viable and low risk.

And here I thought they were doing extremely well as a band with a pretty large following. Well......I can only hope they go out on a limb next time around and really give us 2 full set’s again like the DOT tour which was an amazing evening. That set spoiled me. DT’s music is simply not compact enough for the most part to do one set these days. The catalog is vast now.

Did they have to cancel shows because of the pandemic? If they did and lost money, perhaps having an opener this time was the better financial decision instead of taking on all the costs themselves.

Yes, the Distance Over Time tour was cut short because of covid. And they are financially stable, but not rich enough to go on the road with a risk of cancelling shows...there's the crew to be paid, and other costs that incur if a whole tour is scrapped. Also...the Astonishing tour didn't sell enough tickets, so the "Images, Words and Beyond Tour", which originally was going to be only ONE show, turned into a whole tour, just to cover the losses of the Astonishing dates. Again, they're a profitable unit, but they run a tight ship.

Did someone tell you about the how the last several tours were constructed or did you read it somewhere?

• Like 1

Did someone tell you about the how the last several tours were constructed or did you read it somewhere?

I heard it from sources who have direct access to the band.

• Like 1

Looks like they got caught using some backtrack tomfoolery on the current tour.

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/dream-theaters-james-labrie-lashes-out-over-lip-sync-allegations-fk-you/

I don’t think he did. I think he works too hard keeping his voice in shape to take the hit to his ego of using a backing track.

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/dream-theaters-james-labrie-lashes-out-over-lip-sync-allegations-fk-you/

I don’t think he did. I think he works too hard keeping his voice in shape to take the hit to his ego of using a backing track.

Did you see the one video for Bridges In The Sky? Yeah, he's singing but it's pretty obvious there's a vocal track happening at the same time as James clearly moves his face away from the mic while part of the vocals are finishing. I don't think he's lip syncing but they are doing something there with a backtrack.

https://www.blabberm...gations-fk-you/

Did you see the one video for Bridges In The Sky? Yeah, he's singing but it's pretty obvious there's a vocal track happening at the same time as James clearly moves his face away from the mic while part of the vocals are finishing. I don't think he's lip syncing but they are doing something there with a backtrack.

Oh backing tracks for backing vox? Yeah that was going of for sure. No way Petrucci was handling all of those himself, lol. There's a good bit of harmony on Bridges too iirc, so of course they would need backing tracks for those. Probably been using them since they released the song. The band has never had enough backing vocalist to cover more than a couple extra harmonies.

I have a feeling that they have been using backing tracks for vocals for more than a few tours.

I'm OK with it, TBH. I just am. Like.... why not do that, if it makes for a better sounding show? So long as James is up there being a front man and singing the lead.

I also suspect that a lot of bands use backing tracks, or perhaps 'triggered samples'.... to fill in vocals and other things.

I don’t particularly mind with backing vocals. A lot of bands and artists these days let the lead singer so all of the backing vox in the studio, and then the other band meme era who may be able to sing may not be able to replicate them since the lead singer is usually the most skilled or inimitable vocalist in the band. So the backing tracks for backing vox make sense if the backing vox are an essential part of the song.

Now of course, my personal favorite band would just let the songs sound different live rather than use prerecorded backing vox (aside from the opera section of Bohemian Rhapsody for pretty obvious reasons). But they had three excellent vocalists who often sang the backing vocals together in the studio. And sometimes even John would sing a little too. The also employed a constant touring musician, mainly to fill in keys while Freddie was being the frontman. I imagine he probably added guitar and percussion to some songs. My third favorite band, Muse, do the same thing. They have a touring multi-instrumentalist who has his own little pod just next to the drum set, and he handles all the parts nobody else has the hands to play since Muse is a power trio who often have synths, guitars, bass, drums, and vox all going simultaneously. Sometimes though he plays a part Matt could be playing so Matt can take a walk around as a frontman. So I’m pretty partial to this method over using instrumental backing tracks, that way tall or nearly all of what I’m hearing is actually being played live.

I heard it from sources who have direct access to the band.

Always suspected that but I never found any proof of it.

So they won a Grammy tonight!!!! Well done, and John Petrucci was really emotional in his speech. Here he is receiving the award:

That didn't feel like the actual Grammys. Was this on the pre show? Lol.

So they won a Grammy tonight!!!! Well done, and John Petrucci was really emotional in his speech. Here he is receiving the award:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QziielUsiO4

Yes. I'm not sure if it's always worked this way, but I'm pretty sure the way it works now is there's like a pre(mier) Grammy show where they give out the vast majority of the awards in a pretty typical auditorium and no one gets much time to speak, and then the four BIG awards (album of the year, song of the year, record of the year, and best new artist) are given out at the big fancy main show with all of the performances between awards.

Yes. I'm not sure if it's always worked this way, but I'm pretty sure the way it works now is there's like a pre(mier) Grammy show where they give out the vast majority of the awards in a pretty typical auditorium and no one gets much time to speak, and then the four BIG awards (album of the year, song of the year, record of the year, and best new artist) are given out at the big fancy main show with all of the performances between awards.

The funny thing is it looks like he just walked in from the lobby. "oh shit, I was getting a drink. I didn't think we would actually win".

• Like 2

The funny thing is it looks like he just walked in from the lobby. "oh shit, I was getting a drink. I didn't think we would actually win".

Yeah he has a very kinda awkward and rushed air about him, which is different from his usual calm and collected demeanor. However everything he says in on point, and he seems to get all of the necessary thank yous in without missing anyone important and in a good order.

• Like 1

Great hang with James today! I wore a Rush shirt for the interview, which he immediately picked on. We spoke about the Rush beer, a lot of details about his solo album, playing with his son, the Dream Theater tour, making peace with Mike Portnoy, and much more.
  • Like 3

I noticed over on DTF that Rod published his interview with JLB the other day while the board was down, and I believe some parts of it have been making some small headlines. It's a great interview, and I'll let Rod post it here himself, but I encourage everyone to check it out!

• Like 1