Official Dream Theater Thread

Tick

Nice to see the love for ACOS. What a great song.

Isn't that song pretty much loved by the entire fan base? I've never seen any dislike for it.

I've still never heard it! :16ton:

Isn't that song pretty much loved by the entire fan base? I've never seen any dislike for it.

Then I can't consider you a Dream Theater fan lol.

Then I can't consider you a Dream Theater fan lol.

I'll get to it! Eventually.

You know it really doesn't help that DT don't end up in many used CD bins. I guess there's a good reason for that.

I have the setlist set up as a playlist and listened to it.......it will still be a great show....but it is an odd setlist.

One thing is.....all the long songs. I am just a little taken back they decided to do that vs having a more diverse setlist covering a lot more of the Mangini Era. So many great tunes from ADTOE and DT. I totally get not playing anything from DoT as they more than covered that album last tour.

Other than the new album.....nothing from any of the previous Mangini era albums (The Astonishing can be burned for all I care). That is odd.

Anyway.....I am still stoked for the show (even Ministry of Souls lol).....they still kill it every time I have seen them.

Front row right Orchestra in Tampa!!!!! Let’s Go!!!!!

• Like 1

I have the setlist set up as a playlist and listened to it.......it will still be a great show....but it is an odd setlist.

One thing is.....all the long songs. I am just a little taken back they decided to do that vs having a more diverse setlist covering a lot more of the Mangini Era. So many great tunes from ADTOE and DT. I totally get not playing anything from DoT as they more than covered that album last tour.

Other than the new album.....nothing from any of the previous Mangini era albums (The Astonishing can be burned for all I care). That is odd.

Anyway.....I am still stoked for the show (even Ministry of Souls lol).....they still kill it every time I have seen them.

They're doing Bridges In The Sky, but that's the only one from earlier Mangini era. I'm guessing the setlist was partly arrived at by what JLB is capable of singing now. Some may have been tried and then shot down for being out of his range.

• Like 1

They're doing Bridges In The Sky, but that's the only one from earlier Mangini era. I'm guessing the setlist was partly arrived at by what JLB is capable of singing now. Some may have been tried and then shot down for being out of his range.

Yes! My Bad....Bridges In The Sky (which is a fantastic song....one of my top 3 from the album). Agree on the vocal limitations....they are starting to rear their ugly little head with DT.

Yes! My Bad....Bridges In The Sky (which is a fantastic song....one of my top 3 from the album). Agree on the vocal limitations....they are starting to rear their ugly little head with DT.

Don't forget that LeBrie is almost 60. There's probably going to be a lot of songs they can no longer do if they continue on for a while longer. I do like all the songs they're playing but on paper it just doesn't look like it would flow too well. I think I will make a playlist and hear for myself how it goes.

Don't forget that LeBrie is almost 60. There's probably going to be a lot of songs they can no longer do if they continue on for a while longer. I do like all the songs they're playing but on paper it just doesn't look like it would flow too well. I think I will make a playlist and hear for myself how it goes.

It's a setlist of (apart from 6:00 and Invisible Monster) epics/mini-epics. I love the concept honestly, easy to get lost in all of it if you like all the songs.

• Like 1

It's a setlist of (apart from 6:00 and Invisible Monster) epics/mini-epics. I love the concept honestly, easy to get lost in all of it if you like all the songs.

I think the concept would be amazing if they are doing “An Evening With” format. Having two set's allows the band to stretch out more and include several more hard hitting compact songs (in the DT world that is under 7 minutes LOL).

But....I know I am going to enjoy the show......always do.

Edited by Todem
  • Like 1

I think the concept would be amazing if they are doing “An Evening With” format. Having two set's allows the band to stretch out more and include several more hard hitting compact songs (in the DT world that is under 7 minutes LOL).

The may be too old to pull off a 3 hour show at this point unless they can find a set they can handle.

The may be too old to pull off a 3 hour show at this point unless they can find a set they can handle.

I'm spoiled by the prior evening with years. Last couple of times I saw DT, as much as I love em', I was disappointed. Set was too short.

I get it, times change. But still..... it's a bummer.

Rush spoiled the shit outta me.

Rush spoiled the shit outta me.

They had that effect on people.

Alright.

Okay.

Fine.

I don't want to say I decided not to go even though I could easily afford to and had 0 scheduling conflicts just because I'm not absolutely thrilled with the setlist and just because my dad can't come with me. Ticket purchased. Next Sunday night. Something like 2nd row on Petrucci's side. Let's do this thing. :haz:

Anyone else going to the DC show?

Saw them last Wednesday. My first show in more than two years!!!

That's ok, don't tell us anything about it.

Lol.

I’m preparation for tomorrow night’s concert, having looked at the set list sometime ago and realizing there would be large chunks of the set from albums I hadn’t heard yet, I decided to go ahead and download ToT, SC, and BC&SL, the three full DT albums (post 90s) I hadn’t ever gotten around to. I just listened to Train Of Thought for the first time…. awe. That is what I feel. Just pure awe, and excitement. Stream Of Consciousness was a brain bender, In The Name Of God was absolutely epic, As I Am was full of righteous anger and angst, but I think my favorite was Endless Sacrifice. The perfect mix of epic, righteous, brain bending awesomeness, reaching something transcendent. Dang. I love this band. I wonder if I’ll love SC and BC&SL as much… I bet I’ll love them too.

• Like 1

On to SC now. I think I'm getting what people complain about with this one. It's a lot... On the one hand, they're playing their butts off, and getting some cool nuggets of classic prog keys in there for Jordan. On the other, the theater portion of dream theater seems a bit muted. I'm not quite getting the level of drama, or at least the emotional resonance, that I usually expect from DT.

On the third hand, I'm only halfway through my first listen!

On to SC now. I think I'm getting what people complain about with this one. It's a lot... On the one hand, they're playing their butts off, and getting some cool nuggets of classic prog keys in there for Jordan. On the other, the theater portion of dream theater seems a bit muted. I'm not quite getting the level of drama, or at least the emotional resonance, that I usually expect from DT.

On the third hand, I'm only halfway through my first listen!

Spoke too soon! Repentance just started. Ooo, I'm loving this moodiness so far. And the credits say there are quite a few special voices that appear somewhere on this track.... I like it!

• Like 1

Prophets Of War

...ah yes... I see they were still a teensy bit obsessed with Muse, and must have listened a good few times to Black Holes & Revelations before writing this! Lol. I love it.

• Like 1

Ministry Of Lost Souls

Oh yes, this was very different and still very cool, and had great melody and great dynamics, and good drama! I need to read the lyrics more closely. It could be one of those handful of DT songs that can bring me to tears. Very few songs can do that from any band.

And the second part of In The Presence Of Enemies... powerful. Super cool. Epic.

Honestly I think I only really had trouble with Dark Eternal Night.