Official Dream Theater Thread

Tick

Ministry of Souls is a complete throw away track for me.....and I feel Labrie fought for this one LMFAO.

I truly hope they rotate some tunes from the new album. How in the world can you not play Answering The Call? How? They gotta have that as a regular tune in that setlist.....blows my mind. Your best song on the album.....not played. And what about Transcending Time? My two favorite songs from the new album that they are touring in support of.......not being played.

Mind blowing.

Also.....6:00 is a good tune....there are so many better tunes from Awake....come on.

Love they are playing Count of Tuscany. Love they brought back Endless Sacrifice....fantastic tunes.

This may be the weakest setlist I have ever seen from them (I did not even bother with The Astonishing tour as that album was hot garbage).

Edited by Todem
  • Like 1

Ministry of Souls is a complete throw away track for me.....and I feel Labrie fought for this one LMFAO.

I truly hope they rotate some tunes from the new album. How in the world can you not play Answering The Call? How? They gotta have that as a regular tune in that setlist.....blows my mind. Your best song on the album.....not played. And what about Transcending Time? My two favorite songs from the new album that they are touring in support of.......not being played.

Mind blowing.

Also.....6:00 is a good tune....there are so many better tunes from Awake....come on.

Love they are playing Count of Tuscany. Love they brought back Endless Sacrifice....fantastic tunes.

This may be the weakest setlist I have ever seen from them (I did not even bother with The Astonishing tour as that album was hot garbage).

i feel like i'm the only one who loves ministry, lol

oh well.......but yea awake is a great album.......but 6:00.......REALLY DUDES????!!!!

I do love Endless sacrifice......but if they had to pick a ToT song i'd rather have In The name Of God.

Yea trancending time is one of my fav songs from then in a few years. i hope it gets swapped in.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 2

Mind blowing.

oh well.......but yea awake is a great album.......but 6:00.......REALLY DUDES????!!!!

I do love Endless sacrifice......but if they had to pick a ToT song i'd rather have In The name Of God.

Yea trancending time is one of my fav songs from then in a few years. i hope it gets swapped in.

Mick

I never had a problem with labrie either. though i guess if portnoy had his way you guys wouldn't have had to deal with him after Six Degrees.

granted he's not my fav singer but i never had a adverse reaction to him like some.

he really in the portnoy years didn't sing too much, lol under Mike P they were closer to a jam band live.

Mick

I wouldn't be surprised if that was Portnoy's intention some of the time. I just can't shake those interviews James gave years later about the unfair pressure and criticism he received from Portnoy, as if Mike could sing their stuff any better himself. Then again, it could also just be that they've naturally started getting less and less out of the jams and more and more out of the vocal sections.

• Like 1

Mind blowing.

Mick

I never had a problem with labrie either. though i guess if portnoy had his way you guys wouldn't have had to deal with him after Six Degrees.

granted he's not my fav singer but i never had a adverse reaction to him like some.

he really in the portnoy years didn't sing too much, lol under Mike P they were closer to a jam band live.

Mick

I wouldn't be surprised if that was Portnoy's intention some of the time. I just can't shake those interviews James gave years later about the unfair pressure and criticism he received from Portnoy, as if Mike could sing their stuff any better himself. Then again, it could also just be that they've naturally started getting less and less out of the jams and more and more out of the vocal sections.

portnoy is actually great at harmony singing i have to give him credit.......but.......him taking leads just results in major cringe. the faux growls for one.

Mick

Mind blowing.

Mick

Mick

portnoy is actually great at harmony singing i have to give him credit.......but.......him taking leads just results in major cringe. the faux growls for one.

Mick

He did a nice job with George's harmony on a cover of Because that he did with a couple other guys. He doesn't have anywhere near James' range or emotive capabilities though, case in point the growling.

• Like 1

The Austin show will be just my second DT show, the other being 20 years ago. Only became a big fan within the last year, so a lot of great tours missed unfortunately.

Just seeing them play live again will be sweet, no matter the set. I'm thinking they decided to go with what would get them off to play.

Having said that, there were definitely some bizarre/unfortunate choices. Nice melody in Ministry, but I find it a bit too plodding. Tuscany is fun, but questionably worthy of 20 minutes of set time. I pretty much can't stand The Alien and would welcome ANY other View track in its place, but of course it has to be there AND be first. Speaking of View, we leave out the best two songs that also sound made to be played live? Seriously?

And I'm not sure what I'm more surprised by - that they played 0 from Images/Scenes combined or 0 from D/T. I'm definitely more disappointed by the latter.

Including Bridges was a great call though.

Edited by TexMike
  • Like 1

The new tour started last night, and this was the setlist: https://www.setlist....z-3388c8cd.html

What are your thoughts? I think MInistry and Tuscany together are overkill, but I do like those songs. I hope the show here in Toronto on March 03rd actually happens!

Aside from Ministry Of Lost Souls I have no problem with this. I've seen all there is to see with this band. Can't wait to finally hear some new stuff.

Is DT one of those bands that will make minor adjustments to the set as they go along? Maybe they'll do that. As much as I love 6:00... I'd rather hear Lie or The Mirror from Awake.

Not in the Mangini era. It's only happened on a few tours over the last 10 years.

I actually thought this was a joke until I read the comments

As someone who loves DT, but is also very picky with them, I can't say I love that setlist at all.

I really enjoy Count Of Tuscany, but in an ironic way. It's so overblown and thematically silly, and tonally almost full blown cartoony, it's great unintentional camp. But really? On the latest tour?

I love 6:00 but there are plenty of songs I'd choose to hear live over that.

What a bizarre setlist...DT seem unable to ever really get what the fans love about them right!

I loved seeing them do 6:00 when they dusted it off for the Dramatic Turn tour but I'm not sure if it needed to be brought back any time soon. The same with Tuscany. It was great seeing them do it on that tour but it doesn't need to be brought back. Especially when they are doing the new 20 minute epic which is a better song anyway.

Looking at that setlist, I would truly be gutted if that was my first DT concert.

I can't understand how a band of that stature refuse to play any true commercial faves. And honestly, casual and long term fans could come up with twenty superior setlists each!

Should I just wait till next tour then? This would be my first...

Up to you. But if you went you could decide for yourself if you dug it or not. Not thrilled my show is on a weeknight, but I'm going unless Covid gets in the way..

As someone who loves DT, but is also very picky with them, I can't say I love that setlist at all.

I really enjoy Count Of Tuscany, but in an ironic way. It's so overblown and thematically silly, and tonally almost full blown cartoony, it's great unintentional camp. But really? On the latest tour?

What a bizarre setlist...DT seem unable to ever really get what the fans love about them right!

I loved seeing them do 6:00 when they dusted it off for the Dramatic Turn tour but I'm not sure if it needed to be brought back any time soon. The same with Tuscany. It was great seeing them do it on that tour but it doesn't need to be brought back. Especially when they are doing the new 20 minute epic which is a better song anyway.

Looking at that setlist, I would truly be gutted if that was my first DT concert.

I can't understand how a band of that stature refuse to play any true commercial faves. And honestly, casual and long term fans could come up with twenty superior setlists each!

Should I just wait till next tour then? This would be my first...

You do what you like! A band this age, make the most of it. I would like to see them live, but they are not high on my list of bands I'd want to watch live that I haven't before. If we could go back fifteen years when I first discovered them, now we're talking (but I was stupid and didn't like them then).

I'll probably still go see them. They've weathered enough of my taste expansions to become a firm favorite, and my dad loves them almost more than he loves Rush. I guess it doesn't really matter what they play so long as they play it well. And hey, I do love 6:00.

It will be played well. Pretty much a Dream Theater guarantee (except for the period of time Derek Sherinian was in the band. Check the recordings.)

I'm not sure they have casual fans at their shows. This isn't Def Leppard or ZZ Top playing the same greatest hits set they have for the last 20 years that fans eat up and come in large numbers to see. The fans that see Dream Theater are pretty dedicated. Don't forget they have celebrated the anniversary of Images and Scenes by playing both albums in full on recent tours. So, it's not like they're ignoring those albums for no reason this time around.

Dream Theater fans can be as into it as Rush and Fish/Marillion fans. One of many selling points for me.

Honestly? I like this set except for Ministry of Lost Souls, just a plodding track. They did a whole tour for Scenes last time so I'm not surprised they didn't play anything from it, and at this point I will be surprised if they play anything from Images and Words with JLB's vocal range these days.

Count of Tuscany is an awesome song, happy they brought it back.

I would've swapped Endless Sacrifice for two, shorter songs, maybe something from Distance Over Time or another one from Six Degrees. Part of me was hoping they'd dust off Blind Faith but having About to Crash is better than nothing.

They really don't need to play that stuff anymore. More than plenty of standout from over the last 10 years for a full show.

The setlist would have improved significantly if they dropped a song off the new album and added Glass Prison, and dropped Count of Tuscany and added Octavarium.

i agree with this Rod.

Never been a fan of Count of Tuscany at all......like at ALL at all, lol

i'd been down for Octavarium again.

Mick

• Like 1

The setlist would have improved significantly if they dropped a song off the new album and added Glass Prison, and dropped Count of Tuscany and added Octavarium.

Well I don't mind wanting to play more from the new album.... but bringing Octavarium in would force me to buy tickets as soon as my first check comes in.

• Like 1

Yesyesyes

Nah, adding in Octavarium makes no sense since they're already playing the title track off the new album. Two 20 minute songs are not needed for a two hour set. They could drop Count and replace it with Glass Prison. That would even save them some time and possibly get the set up to a whopping eleven songs.

Nah, adding in Octavarium makes no sense since they're already playing the title track off the new album. Two 20 minute songs are not needed for a two hour set. They could drop Count and replace it with Glass Prison. That would even save them some time and possibly get the set up to a whopping eleven songs.

Theoretically I would agree... but Octavarium is just that good. It's like if Rush was playing the whole of Hemispheres and were thinking about adding in 2112 too, I'd emphatically argue they should do 2112, no questions asked. It's just that good.

Theoretically I would agree... but Octavarium is just that good. It's like if Rush was playing the whole of Hemispheres and were thinking about adding in 2112 too, I'd emphatically argue they should do 2112, no questions asked. It's just that good.

Set length is the big issue here. If they were doing the evening with format then doing two songs that long isn't a big deal. They can do one in each set. Octavarium is really good but it's not their best epic. I would take Change Of Seasons, Six Degrees, Presence Of Enemies and Illumination Theory over it when it comes to 20 minute plus songs. Perhaps if Octavarium didn't have that dull three and a half minute, go nowhere intro I would rate it better but holy shit that song takes forever to get going.

Set length is the big issue here. If they were doing the evening with format then doing two songs that long isn't a big deal. They can do one in each set. Octavarium is really good but it's not their best epic. I would take Change Of Seasons, Six Degrees, Presence Of Enemies and Illumination Theory over it when it comes to 20 minute plus songs. Perhaps if Octavarium didn't have that dull three and a half minute, go nowhere intro I would rate it better but holy shit that song takes forever to get going.

You're not kidding. I wish Octavarium (the song) were indexed because there are parts of it I really like, but I find it a slog to sit though the whole thing, especially that damn intro. And I also agree that they've done better epics, particularly Illumination Theory and Change Of Seasons.

Mind blowing.

Mick

So the cat is out of the bag on here! Wow! You guys don't care about people who never look at set lists. My earlier post was not a spoiler but since it's out now. 6:00 IS FUCKKING EPIC!!! I was going anyway but this sweetens the pot for my! I CAN'T FUCKKING WAIT!!!! It's like waking up at "6:00 am on Christmas morning!" Guess you people who hate this song aren't drummers. Some of the best drumming by Mike ever. That opening fuckking fill kicks ass.

"The Alien" RULES!

PROG ON CRITICS!!!!

Heading to the show!

Mind blowing.

Mick

So the cat is out of the bag on here! Wow! You guys don't care about people who never look at set lists. My earlier post was not a spoiler but since it's out now. 6:00 IS FUCKKING EPIC!!! I was going anyway but this sweetens the pot for my! I CAN'T FUCKKING WAIT!!!! It's like waking up at "6:00 am on Christmas morning!" Guess you people who hate this song aren't drummers. Some of the best drumming by Mike ever. That opening fuckking fill kicks ass.

"The Alien" RULES!

PROG ON CRITICS!!!!

Heading to the show!

It goes both ways with concert spoilers. Don't read a thread for a band who is currently on tour if you don't want to be spoiled by a setlist. I know you still think it's 1985 but here in 2022 spoilers are out there and kind of hard to avoid if you spend enough time on the internet. It's been that way for a while. I don't come on the internet without expecting something to get spoiled.

• Like 1

Mind blowing.

Mick

"The Alien" RULES!

PROG ON CRITICS!!!!

Heading to the show!

It goes both ways with concert spoilers. Don't read a thread for a band who is currently on tour if you don't want to be spoiled by a setlist. I know you still think it's 1985 but here in 2022 spoilers are out there and kind of hard to avoid if you spend enough time on the internet. It's been that way for a while. I don't come on the internet without expecting something to get spoiled.

i agree. i'm a guy who likes to know setlists but i understand people don't. BUUUUUUUT in the age of the internet you should know not to read online boards. it's net common sense, lol

Mick

I don't care about setlist spoilers really, never have.

Do I love the band I'm going to see? Likely yes! Play what you want, I bought my ticket, rock on!

However I remember during the Karmacode and Shallow Life tours, Lacuna Coil barely played a single song pre-Karmacode and that was... difficult