Official Dream Theater Thread

Tick

As I Am is pure Metallica too.

Petrucci has never hidden his Metallica influence though. He has plenty of riffs that were obviously inspired by them. Even the main riff on Dream Theaters most well known song sounds like something that could have been on The Black Album. Peruvian Skies was very much influenced by Metallica songs like Fade To Black, Sanitarium and One.

• Like 1

Also, I don't know if you guys are familiar with their song "Build me up, break me down", from A Dramatic Turn Of Events. It's almost a carbon copy of this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3eX_uVbe1k

I hear some similarities in the riff and the arrangement, but the melody is totally different. It's not really the same song at all.

As I Am is pure Metallica too.

Petrucci has never hidden his Metallica influence though. He has plenty of riffs that were obviously inspired by them. Even the main riff on Dream Theaters most well known song sounds like something that could have been on The Black Album. Peruvian Skies was very much influenced by Metallica songs like Fade To Black, Sanitarium and One.

Yeah I don't think too much about DT pulling from Metallica. First off I doubt there's a single metal band formed post 1986 that wasn't influenced by Metallica pretty heavily in some way or another, second off they've had pretty Metallica-esque parts pop up their whole career, from Pull Me Under to Fall Into The Light at least.

I lied . Here we go.

Vanusa. 1973.

She was actually Brazilian.

You're right. After I looked her up I forgot to edit my original post.

The new tour started last night, and this was the setlist: https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/dream-theater/2022/mesa-arts-center-mesa-az-3388c8cd.html

What are your thoughts? I think MInistry and Tuscany together are overkill, but I do like those songs. I hope the show here in Toronto on March 03rd actually happens!

• Like 1

Endless Sacrifice is a mid 2000s rocker. Meh on much of the rest. I mean the new material is good and this is a tour to support it, but they have so many awesome past tracks I'm almost in favor of them just doing the whole nostalgia act thing at this point.

the only song on that setlist i popped for is Ministry of Lost Souls. they picked two of the weaker cuts from view Master and Monster...i love the title track. Count of Tuscany is overrated.

6:00 is one of my least fav DT songs.

what a bum setlst.

Mick

• Like 1

the only song on that setlist i popped for is Ministry of Lost Souls. they picked two of the weaker cuts from view Master and Monster...i love the title track. Count of Tuscany is overrated.

what a bum setlst.

Mick

I don't get the set at all. Why if they only have two hours are they playing so many long songs? Bridges, Ministry and Tuscany don't all need to be in the same set especially when they're also playing the 20 minute title track from the new album. Horrible time management.

• Like 1

what a bum setlst.

Mick

I don't get the set at all. Why if they only have two hours are they playing so many long songs? Bridges, Ministry and Tuscany don't all need to be in the same set especially when they're also playing the 20 minute title track from the new album. Horrible time management.

up their with the astonishing tour.

i'm thinking james can no longer sing live so they placed as many long songs with long breaks for him as they could. if that's the case. just do records. no need to tour.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000

Well I for one love 6:00, and Awaken The Master is pretty cool. Gotta say having not heard Count or Ministry won't come in very handy if I get tickets for this. Edited by Entre_Perpetuo
  • Like 1

I actually thought this was a joke until I read the comments

As someone who loves DT, but is also very picky with them, I can't say I love that setlist at all.

I really enjoy Count Of Tuscany, but in an ironic way. It's so overblown and thematically silly, and tonally almost full blown cartoony, it's great unintentional camp. But really? On the latest tour?

I love 6:00 but there are plenty of songs I'd choose to hear live over that.

What a bizarre setlist...DT seem unable to ever really get what the fans love about them right!

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1

Is DT one of those bands that will make minor adjustments to the set as they go along? Maybe they'll do that. As much as I love 6:00... I'd rather hear Lie or The Mirror from Awake.

As someone who loves DT, but is also very picky with them, I can't say I love that setlist at all.

I really enjoy Count Of Tuscany, but in an ironic way. It's so overblown and thematically silly, and tonally almost full blown cartoony, it's great unintentional camp. But really? On the latest tour?

What a bizarre setlist...DT seem unable to ever really get what the fans love about them right!

I loved seeing them do 6:00 when they dusted it off for the Dramatic Turn tour but I'm not sure if it needed to be brought back any time soon. The same with Tuscany. It was great seeing them do it on that tour but it doesn't need to be brought back. Especially when they are doing the new 20 minute epic which is a better song anyway.

• Like 1

I loved seeing them do 6:00 when they dusted it off for the Dramatic Turn tour but I'm not sure if it needed to be brought back any time soon. The same with Tuscany. It was great seeing them do it on that tour but it doesn't need to be brought back. Especially when they are doing the new 20 minute epic which is a better song anyway.

Looking at that setlist, I would truly be gutted if that was my first DT concert.

I can't understand how a band of that stature refuse to play any true commercial faves. And honestly, casual and long term fans could come up with twenty superior setlists each!

Looking at that setlist, I would truly be gutted if that was my first DT concert.

I can't understand how a band of that stature refuse to play any true commercial faves. And honestly, casual and long term fans could come up with twenty superior setlists each!

Should I just wait till next tour then? This would be my first...

You do what you like! A band this age, make the most of it. I would like to see them live, but they are not high on my list of bands I'd want to watch live that I haven't before. If we could go back fifteen years when I first discovered them, now we're talking (but I was stupid and didn't like them then).

• Like 1

Is DT one of those bands that will make minor adjustments to the set as they go along? Maybe they'll do that. As much as I love 6:00... I'd rather hear Lie or The Mirror from Awake.

They might rotate a few songs every other show but it pretty much stays the same. Like how Rush would do song rotation. Years ago when Portnoy was in charge of the set he would change it for every show. Fun for the fans since they didn't know what they were getting but not as fun for James who didn't know what he would be singing at each show.

• Like 1

They might rotate a few songs every other show but it pretty much stays the same. Like how Rush would do song rotation. Years ago when Portnoy was in charge of the set he would change it for every show. Fun for the fans since they didn't know what they were getting but not as fun for James who didn't know what he would be singing at each show.

Well that falls right in line with the usual story about Portnoy generally not being fair to LaBrie about his voice. Man, James must be relieved anymore he doesn't have to put up with that.

The rotating set does sound cool though.

You do what you like! A band this age, make the most of it. I would like to see them live, but they are not high on my list of bands I'd want to watch live that I haven't before. If we could go back fifteen years when I first discovered them, now we're talking (but I was stupid and didn't like them then).

I'll probably still go see them. They've weathered enough of my taste expansions to become a firm favorite, and my dad loves them almost more than he loves Rush. I guess it doesn't really matter what they play so long as they play it well. And hey, I do love 6:00.

• Like 1

I'll probably still go see them. They've weathered enough of my taste expansions to become a firm favorite, and my dad loves them almost more than he loves Rush. I guess it doesn't really matter what they play so long as they play it well. And hey, I do love 6:00.

Awake is my favourite DT album and I love every single second of it. I didn't enjoy it at first but it has something about it that kept me coming back again and again!

• Like 2

Awake is my favourite DT album and I love every single second of it. I didn't enjoy it at first but it has something about it that kept me coming back again and again!

Same except I did love it right off the bat. But I only heard it after I had almost given up on DT, not really connecting with much of the material I had heard anymore. Needed something new and different and Awake was it.

• Like 1

I'm not sure they have casual fans at their shows. This isn't Def Leppard or ZZ Top playing the same greatest hits set they have for the last 20 years that fans eat up and come in large numbers to see. The fans that see Dream Theater are pretty dedicated. Don't forget they have celebrated the anniversary of Images and Scenes by playing both albums in full on recent tours. So, it's not like they're ignoring those albums for no reason this time around.

• Like 1