Official Dream Theater Thread

Tick

My show out here has been rescheduled for Feb 6.

It's funny how they rescheduled the tour due to covid concerns then decide to do it during the coldest month of the year when people are staying indoors and spreading germs more.

Hahahahaha! Excellent point! So stupid!

I was supposed to see Testament last month but they decided to postpone their tour until next year too. At least they rescheduled it for May when the weather is decent.

EDIT: I also understand with many bands rescheduling tours next year that perhaps touring during flu season was the best time Dream Theater could get to do a tour at all next year.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 1

It's funny how they rescheduled the tour due to covid concerns then decide to do it during the coldest month of the year when people are staying indoors and spreading germs more.

I was supposed to see Testament last month but they decided to postpone their tour until next year too. At least they rescheduled it for May when the weather is decent.

EDIT: I also understand with many bands rescheduling tours next year that perhaps touring during flu season was the best time Dream Theater could get to do a tour at all next year.

Yes! I was going to say DT should have waited until spring! I'm excited about May out here! Kansas and then a week later Steve Hackett! Hope he is still doing "Seconds Out" all the way through.

Yes! I was going to say DT should have waited until spring! I'm excited about May out here! Kansas and then a week later Steve Hackett! Hope he is still doing "Seconds Out" all the way through.

Hackett’s doing a live album all the way through? That just sounds weird to me. Like, I’m all for Genesis revisited and keeping the songs alive, but it just seems a bit meta to advertise playing through a complete a live album... live.

Hackett’s doing a live album all the way through? That just sounds weird to me. Like, I’m all for Genesis revisited and keeping the songs alive, but it just seems a bit meta to advertise playing through a complete a live album... live.

I hear ya! But I will take it. I think he was playing it over there in the UK. Funny you used the term "meta." That's the new name for FACEBOOK. I don't understand it. Never been on "Meh-ta" or "Disgracebook."

Rather shoot the shit on here and type about MUSIC.

• Like 1

I hear ya! But I will take it. I think he was playing it over there in the UK. Funny you used the term "meta." That's the new name for FACEBOOK. I don't understand it. Never been on "Meh-ta" or "Disgracebook."

I don’t understand changing your name to a word that much of the internet already has a pretty standard use for. Just gonna frustrate people.

• Like 1

I don’t understand changing your name to a word that much of the internet already has a pretty standard use for. Just gonna frustrate people.

I totally agree. "Let's Get Metaphysical."

Love,

David Gilmour

lol

• Like 1

Regarding the bluray/book set... the book and presentation is top notch and the mix is very strong (almost perfect stereo 'metal' mix), but the 5.1 mix is as conservative a 5.1 mix one can make and still label it 5.1/surround. Mostly just the guitars doubled in the rears, which does fill out the room but there's almost no other discrete elements sent to the rears. Visuals during the 5.1 playback are a welcome plus. I wouldn't buy it for the 5.1 mix but it's worth it for the overall presentation. Just in case anyone was on the fence regarding this.

The biggest disappointment is not being creative with the rear channels, a band that has plenty of ammunition to spread around the surround field and segregate the genre defining musicianship for us music nerds. My guess is they provided limited stems for the surround mix and/or rushed the mix to get this published.

I will put the new album a little bit below the last one. It's a very good album, I just wouldn't rank it among the bands best. I get the comparison to Systematic Chaos. A View is like a focused version of that album. While I don't like anything on it as much as In The Presence Of Enemies, it's certainly not an all over the place album like SC is. A View knows exactly what it is and what it's trying to achieve and the band pulls that off very well on it.

I think I should listen to both Presence songs by themselves. Your enthusiasm makes me wonder if I'm missing out!

Yes, horrible mistake not putting the whole song together to close out the album. I remember rearranging the track order on my iPod back when the album came out to make sure they were together at the end of the album. I made Constant Motion the first song. One of the rare times where I thought the track listing for an album needed to be fixed a little bit.

i love the presence Epic but i too hate it split up. kills it's natural flow. i have a playlist of SC that puts em back to back as the closer. it really works.

Mick

The Chaos in Motion live album has them playing the entire thing at once, you just have to deal with that it's a horribly produced live album

I like Chaos in Motion for what it is. The performances are top notch and even the Systematic Chaos songs sound a little better on that than on the album although I still think most of those songs were the weakest part live.

I think I enjoy Distance over Time more than the new album, but the new album is a natural twin of the other. It's looser and more expansive, throwing off any restraints they had on the first one. They feel like the perfect pair, DoT being the "intro" and AVFTTOTW being the "alright you're hooked, here's the shit they can really do".

It's tough. Both albums feel so tightly connected in terms of sound.

After only one listen I think this is where I am. I'm not getting the Systematic Chaos/Train Of Thought vibe at all which is good for me. It's almost Distance Over Time Part II but it's a bit more pleasant listening experience. Not a lot new here, but there's some melody and it's a Dream Theater album that checks most if not all of the boxes for a Dream Theater album. Best parts are the intros and the instrumental breaks which seem to be where the magic happens still.

I will put the new album a little bit below the last one. It's a very good album, I just wouldn't rank it among the bands best. I get the comparison to Systematic Chaos. A View is like a focused version of that album. While I don't like anything on it as much as In The Presence Of Enemies, it's certainly not an all over the place album like SC is. A View knows exactly what it is and what it's trying to achieve and the band pulls that off very well on it.

I think I should listen to both Presence songs by themselves. Your enthusiasm makes me wonder if I'm missing out!

Yes, horrible mistake not putting the whole song together to close out the album. I remember rearranging the track order on my iPod back when the album came out to make sure they were together at the end of the album. I made Constant Motion the first song. One of the rare times where I thought the track listing for an album needed to be fixed a little bit.

i love the presence Epic but i too hate it split up. kills it's natural flow. i have a playlist of SC that puts em back to back as the closer. it really works.

Mick

The Chaos in Motion live album has them playing the entire thing at once, you just have to deal with that it's a horribly produced live album

that album is indeed dogshit, lol but the crime here is killer set list.

Mick

I recall getting Strange Deja-Vu, Blind Faith, Surrounded and In The Presence Of Enemies played properly in full when I saw them on that tour. I was pretty happy with that.

Difficult to top the Octavarium Tour but there performances on the Systematic Chaos were even tighter and there were some great songs like Surrounded and Blind Faith that made it worth it for me even though the set wasn't as good.

One thing I think the new album has over DoT is everything to do with JLB and Myung. The vocals aren't drowned in effects and the melodies suit James's range. He sounds really good!

And as I mentioned before I can hear John Myung everywhere and he's got some killer lines.

Noticed that right off and that to me makes for a better listening experience. It's not fatiguing like Distance Over Time.

awesome album, seems like a sequel to a dramatic turn in events

dream theater's always caught criticism, at least here, for not 'evolving' much, but i don't think they need to.

I'd much rather have them evolve than stagnate, but your mileage may vary.

awesome album, seems like a sequel to a dramatic turn in events

dream theater's always caught criticism, at least here, for not 'evolving' much, but i don't think they need to.

I actually think it sounds more like a sequel to the last album.

i skipped that one, even though i've heard it was quite better than the astonishing. i'm also largely making the association due the the artwork

I prefer The Astonishing over Distance Over Time even with the horrendous lyrics.

Still waiting for it to come back in stock at m local record store. I've only listened to it once and that was weeks ago now.

My top 5 songs.....and the album is great BTW. Really enjoying it.

1. Answering The Call

2. Transcending Time

3. Obey Your Master

4. Invisible Monster

5. A View From The Top Of The World

1. Answering The Call

2. Transcending Time

3. Obey Your Master

4. Invisible Monster

Yes, Answering The Call has been my favorite from the first listen and continues to be.

• Like 1

1. Answering The Call

2. Transcending Time

3. Obey Your Master

4. Invisible Monster

Yes, Answering The Call has been my favorite from the first listen and continues to be.

Oh yes....that riff......evil man. I love it.

• Like 1

Still waiting for it to come back in stock at m local record store. I've only listened to it once and that was weeks ago now.

Local record store? What is that again? Lol.

I'm not kidding! My local record store is the source of probably a third of my music! I could just order it on amazon, but as I'm not head over heels for it I don't mind waiting to buy it from my local guys, give them as much of my support as I can.

1. Answering The Call

2. Transcending Time

3. Obey Your Master

4. Invisible Monster

Oh yes....that riff......evil man. I love it.

Love the keyboards playing perfectly along with the riff too.

• Like 1

AVFtTotW was in heavy rotation this past week, probably my most played DT album since maybe Black Clouds. No favorites yet, Answer the Call could certainly be in consideration. Transcending Time is a well balanced song by their standards, has a lot of Rush elements and a good melody. It's probably the one that first caught my attention after just a couple listens.

I enjoyed the documentary on the Bluray. They all seem content with the band's trajectory. I suspect Portnoy may have been a bit heavy handed as producer, they all seemed pretty relaxed and enjoying themselves. Strong personalities are fun for those with strong personalities. Rarely for anyone having to engage with them daily.

• Like 3

It came in at my record store today!! Playing it now, sound's excellent!

And... I'm already liking it better, lol. I always had a theory that I tend to like things better when I hear them on vinyl. This might be proof.