Official Dream Theater Thread

Tick

I thought album Resembled a Portnoy era album so much. mostly Sytematic Chaos a bunch minus the Portnoy-isms that make me HATE that period in time (like his stupid ass "growling") So this to me is SC done right. BUT.....It's not ALL like SC.

Invisable Monster is better within the album and recalls Images and Words a bit. Transcending time is my fav song here. VERY melodic hook. I loved and Still love the Alien. Sleeping giabnt is prbably the weirdest thing on here. i didn't know where the heck it was headed but it's a grower for sure.

and the title track has become my fav DT epic ever. i've often thought DT is weakest in the longer 18-20 minute epic form but this one nails it.

My fav of the magini era. GREAT album.

Mick

I've completed one listen!

Whew! It's not bad, that's for sure. I was worried a bit after I didn't really dig The Alien, but it grew on me. They were just playing circles around my train of thought. And what a way to kick off an album! Mangini continues to prove his metal each album.

The production is really stellar. Much heavier than The Astonishing, and much clearer than A Dramatic Turn Of Events (though I do love that album, it sounds like it's in the clouds on the cover). It's even a bit better balanced than Distance Over Time, which sounds great.

The songs, hm. I dug The Alien more in the album... Invisible Monster I still like quite a bit... Answering The Call stood out to me... Honestly a lot of these are made of very similar DNA. This isn't at all like DoT where you had a few very unusual ideas (unusual for DT, more rock/alternative ish) which stuck out in the tracklist, for better or for worse. This seems to be a highly consistent listen, with one exception: Transcending Time. This song... I need to hear it again. It's like the eye of the hurricane, the closest thing to a ballad on here but it's not ballad. It's much closer to I Walk Beside You from Octavarium, but it lacks that song's annoying "we're ripping off U2 now" quality. It's a big beautiful soaring pop song, but one that sits comfortably enough next to these hardcore prog metal workouts as to not take you out of the album. I'd say after only one listen this is probably my favorite thing here. I should probably mention the epic too. I'm a big fan of epics, especially the 20 minute variety... this doesn't really feel like one to me. It moves through a few different moods, sure, and it has a good range of dynamics, but I'm not really sure what ties it all together. To me it feels a bit jammy, or like a ten minute song stretched out to 20. It's not short of musical content, mind you, but in comparison to something like Octavarium, it's not as epic in distance as it is in time. Perhaps more listens will change my mind. I did like it, and there's this very beautiful soft section in the middle where James really pulls you in to listen to the lyrics.

Here's my major complaint though, and one I think probably keeps it below DoT for me: the melodies often seem to be afterthoughts. If your favorite thing about Dream Theater is listening to four instrumental virtuosos play incredibly complex music at the limits of their powers, this album is exactly what you're looking for. But for me, it's not Dream Theater without those Majestic melodies, and James' expressive voice. It's not like James is phoning it in here or anything. No, I think the problem actually runs deeper. It seems to me that the chord progressions he was given to work with just don't lend themselves to very great melodies. They seem to change tonal centers just when you think you've got the hang of where they're going. James is giving it his best I'm sure, but I think after LTE3 and Petrucci and Rudess' recent solo albums, they must have been in a more instrumental writing mood. I don't hate the melodies that are here either, but they seem distinctly less memorable than those on DoT, or for an example with more complex music to work around, Scenes. Scenes manages to fit great melodies in and around some of DT's most mind bending instrumentals. They didn't quite get there this time, which is fine. Scenes is one of their greatest accomplishments after all, but I'm writing an impromptu review and this is the cons column for me.

Anyway, will I buy it? Absolutely.

I share your compliant about the melodies not being there like they normally are with them. James does a great job. His voice is on point and very clear throughout the album but as you said, it seems the way the music was written didn't leave a lot of opportunity for those great vocal melodies. I feel the same about the title track. It seems like they're jumping from one musical mood to the next because they trying to do a 20 minute song instead of letting the music naturally flow into making it a song of that length.

It's still a pretty good album overall. When it comes to the modern stuff, I would only put it over the Asstonishing though.

Sometimes it’s acutely relieving to see someone shares my opinion about something!

It took me reading what you said for me to figure out what I thought was missing after listening to it twice. I'm not a musician so I wasn't able to pinpoint it until you came from the musician side of things with your critique.

• Like 1

I thought album Resembled a Portnoy era album so much. mostly Sytematic Chaos a bunch minus the Portnoy-isms that make me HATE that period in time (like his stupid ass "growling") So this to me is SC done right. BUT.....It's not ALL like SC.

Invisable Monster is better within the album and recalls Images and Words a bit. Transcending time is my fav song here. VERY melodic hook. I loved and Still love the Alien. Sleeping giabnt is prbably the weirdest thing on here. i didn't know where the heck it was headed but it's a grower for sure.

and the title track has become my fav DT epic ever. i've often thought DT is weakest in the longer 18-20 minute epic form but this one nails it.

My fav of the magini era. GREAT album.

Mick

I've completed one listen!

Whew! It's not bad, that's for sure. I was worried a bit after I didn't really dig The Alien, but it grew on me. They were just playing circles around my train of thought. And what a way to kick off an album! Mangini continues to prove his metal each album.

The production is really stellar. Much heavier than The Astonishing, and much clearer than A Dramatic Turn Of Events (though I do love that album, it sounds like it's in the clouds on the cover). It's even a bit better balanced than Distance Over Time, which sounds great.

The songs, hm. I dug The Alien more in the album... Invisible Monster I still like quite a bit... Answering The Call stood out to me... Honestly a lot of these are made of very similar DNA. This isn't at all like DoT where you had a few very unusual ideas (unusual for DT, more rock/alternative ish) which stuck out in the tracklist, for better or for worse. This seems to be a highly consistent listen, with one exception: Transcending Time. This song... I need to hear it again. It's like the eye of the hurricane, the closest thing to a ballad on here but it's not ballad. It's much closer to I Walk Beside You from Octavarium, but it lacks that song's annoying "we're ripping off U2 now" quality. It's a big beautiful soaring pop song, but one that sits comfortably enough next to these hardcore prog metal workouts as to not take you out of the album. I'd say after only one listen this is probably my favorite thing here. I should probably mention the epic too. I'm a big fan of epics, especially the 20 minute variety... this doesn't really feel like one to me. It moves through a few different moods, sure, and it has a good range of dynamics, but I'm not really sure what ties it all together. To me it feels a bit jammy, or like a ten minute song stretched out to 20. It's not short of musical content, mind you, but in comparison to something like Octavarium, it's not as epic in distance as it is in time. Perhaps more listens will change my mind. I did like it, and there's this very beautiful soft section in the middle where James really pulls you in to listen to the lyrics.

Here's my major complaint though, and one I think probably keeps it below DoT for me: the melodies often seem to be afterthoughts. If your favorite thing about Dream Theater is listening to four instrumental virtuosos play incredibly complex music at the limits of their powers, this album is exactly what you're looking for. But for me, it's not Dream Theater without those Majestic melodies, and James' expressive voice. It's not like James is phoning it in here or anything. No, I think the problem actually runs deeper. It seems to me that the chord progressions he was given to work with just don't lend themselves to very great melodies. They seem to change tonal centers just when you think you've got the hang of where they're going. James is giving it his best I'm sure, but I think after LTE3 and Petrucci and Rudess' recent solo albums, they must have been in a more instrumental writing mood. I don't hate the melodies that are here either, but they seem distinctly less memorable than those on DoT, or for an example with more complex music to work around, Scenes. Scenes manages to fit great melodies in and around some of DT's most mind bending instrumentals. They didn't quite get there this time, which is fine. Scenes is one of their greatest accomplishments after all, but I'm writing an impromptu review and this is the cons column for me.

Anyway, will I buy it? Absolutely.

I share your compliant about the melodies not being there like they normally are with them. James does a great job. His voice is on point and very clear throughout the album but as you said, it seems the way the music was written didn't leave a lot of opportunity for those great vocal melodies. I feel the same about the title track. It seems like they're jumping from one musical mood to the next because they trying to do a 20 minute song instead of letting the music naturally flow into making it a song of that length.

It's still a pretty good album overall. When it comes to the modern stuff, I would only put it over the Asstonishing though.

Sometimes it’s acutely relieving to see someone shares my opinion about something!

It took me reading what you said for me to figure out what I thought was missing after listening to it twice. I'm not a musician so I wasn't able to pinpoint it until you came from the musician side of things with your critique.

It's interesting, as a musician I feel like I should be more appreciative of super complex virtuosic workouts than a non-musician might, but it's still melody and songwriting that I always come back to. Even as a massive prog fan, who loves Tales From Topographic Oceans and recently really enjoyed Soft Machine's Third for the first time, I want a great melody to sing along with as much as anyone else. I still remember the first time I heard that beautiful lead guitar theme in Barstool Warrior a couple years ago, I was so happy! They managed to pull another fantastic soaring line out of thin air, probably my favorite moment on the whole album.

• Like 1

I miss Mike Portnoy.

The band is doing just fine without him. Portnoy is in 37 different bands. There's plenty of ways to hear him play.

Exactly. And honestly, since Portnoy left they have been that their best in a long time. The Astonishing aside (which in an alternate universe is one disc and punchier)

• Like 3

I miss Mike Portnoy.

The band is doing just fine without him. Portnoy is in 37 different bands. There's plenty of ways to hear him play.

portnoy's reviving the tellytubbies as a prog/rap/country/jazz/broadway outfit next month.

and then he's joining barry manilow's touring band in a flying drumkit.

lol

Mick

• Like 2

I miss Mike Portnoy.

portnoy's reviving the tellytubbies as a prog/rap/country/jazz/broadway outfit next month.

lol

Mick

Won't that interfere with his performance at the Chronic Workaholics Relief Concert with Buckethead and Dave Grohl?

• Like 2

and yes Portnoy is a-OK right now. i actually think leaving DT was a blessing for him. he seems much more chill now. and he's plenty content.

and as Segue noted......TA aside DT is IMO doing some of their best work now.

Mick

• Like 1

I miss Mike Portnoy.

lol

Mick

Won't that interfere with his performance at the Chronic Workaholics Relief Concert with Buckethead and Dave Grohl?

he's doing all these events in 1 night i hear......he's the mighty portnoy, lol

Mick

• Like 1

I miss Mike Portnoy.

lol

Mick

he's doing all these events in 1 night i hear......he's the mighty portnoy, lol

Mick

Wow! What an inspiration! :lol:

• Like 1

The new album is magnificent. The only thing puzzling me is I'm not "loving it" like I normally would an album of this calibre. I play it daily, I enjoy it, but nothing excites me AT ALL.

But it's still fantastic, it's just not hitting the heights of my fanaticism the way Distance Over Time did upon release.

Oh well, I think the title track is the bands best epic, and the rest of the album is top tier DT.

Just can't shake off that annoying feeling that I wanted something MORE.

• Like 2

The new album is magnificent. The only thing puzzling me is I'm not "loving it" like I normally would an album of this calibre. I play it daily, I enjoy it, but nothing excites me AT ALL.

But it's still fantastic, it's just not hitting the heights of my fanaticism the way Distance Over Time did upon release.

Oh well, I think the title track is the bands best epic, and the rest of the album is top tier DT.

The title track is good but it doesn't even touch their other epics. It's nowhere near the league of Change Of Seasons, Six Degrees, Octavarium, In The Presence Of Enemies, Illumination Theory.

Just because something is brand new doesn't automatically mean it's the best.

• Like 2

The title track is good but it doesn't even touch their other epics. It's nowhere near the league of Change Of Seasons, Six Degrees, Octavarium, In The Presence Of Enemies, Illumination Theory.

Just because something is brand new doesn't automatically mean it's the best.

You're possibly right but I'm no fan of Presence, Octavarium's title track does nothing for me either. The new song is definitely better than Tuscany, but not sure I ever loved Illumination Theory as much as this new song, and Change Of Seasons is fantastic but I also know I like Illumination more sooo...the new song is for me only really competing with Illumination Theory

EDIT: Six Degrees is fab but not something I personally enjoy listening too. Not dismissing it's merit, you could be right.

Edited by Segue Myles

Generally I think DT are at their best writing songs under 10 minutes.
  • Like 1

I don't know if A View is my fav epic of their.......BUT i think it is their most cohesive. there's a difference there.

DT honestly going over ten minutes is not their strong suit.

ALSO though. i think the Six degrees suite is my fav.

Mick

• Like 1

Also havng really digested this album much more than a lot of folks i caan do this now.

1. Scenes

2. Six Degrees

3. Self Titled

4. Images

5. A View

6. A Dramatic Turn

7. Train of Thought

8. Falling Into Infinity

9. Awake

10. Octavarium

11. Distance over Time

12. Systematic Chaos

13. When Dream and Day Unite

14. Black Clouds

15. The Astonishing

Yes i switched some around but my general favs are the same.

Mick

• Like 1

DT honestly going over ten minutes is not their strong suit.

Not anymore. I think modern DT does best with ideas in 8 minutes or less. Else it seems forced. The Change of Seasons days are far behind them.

The 20 minute song on the new record is good.... but I think that could have been 2 songs.

Edited by grep
  • Like 2

I miss Mike Portnoy.

At one point, Dream Theater was easily my second favorite band. But this album marks three straight that have fallen completely flat for me. Meanwhile, Flying Colors has risen to be one of my favorite prog groups.

Portnoy's influence in Dream Theater is sorely missing. I miss this band.

I miss Mike Portnoy.

At one point, Dream Theater was easily my second favorite band. But this album marks three straight that have fallen completely flat for me. Meanwhile, Flying Colors has risen to be one of my favorite prog groups.

Then listen to Flying Colors and move on from Dream Theater. To me, Dream Theater is doing what they have always done just with a new drummer. I don't think The Astonishing would have happened if Portnoy was there but other than that, they continue to release top quality material.

I couldn't care less what Portnoy has done since leaving the band. He was the self absorbed prick who wanted to go do other things and wanted Dream Theater to just wait on him and do nothing until he was ready to come back. Now, he has to play in a ton of bands in order for him to remind people that he's still around.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 1

I miss Mike Portnoy.

Then listen to Flying Colors and move on from Dream Theater. To me, Dream Theater is doing what they have always done just with a new drummer. I don't think The Astonishing would have happened if Portnoy was there but other than that, they continue to release top quality material.

I couldn't care less what Portnoy has done since leaving the band. He was the self absorbed prick who wanted to go do other things and wanted Dream Theater to just wait on him and do nothing until he was ready to come back. Now, he has to play in a ton of bands in order for him to remind people that he's still around.

and to be honest here i've enjoyed portnoys work outside of DT and you could literally spit and you'd hit a band he's in.

but yea......i don't wnt him back. this dude thought he WAS DT. Walked......DT watched him walk out and went........"so anyway about our next album."

lol.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 2

I miss Mike Portnoy.

and to be honest here i've enjoyed portnoys work outside of DT and you could literally spit and you'd hit a band he's in.

but yea......i don't wnt him back. this dude thought he WAS DT. Walked......DT watched him walk out and went........"so anyway about our next album."

lol.

Mick

Except for The Astonishing, the other albums they've done with Mangini I like better than what they did from Train Of Thought through Black Clouds. Yes, Portnoy had a big influence on their sound but by the time he left it was getting a little too big for me.

• Like 2