Official Dream Theater Thread

Tick

QUOTE (Rush! @ Apr 30 2006, 12:28 PM)
Hey guys. My uncle's friend is a big fan of prog metal and he loaned me Dream Theater's "Octavarium". Is this a good starting point? I did some research and I know that this is their latest album. I'm sure it will be fantastic.

Octavarium is a great album. Track 2 is the only track I don't like. Love all 24 minutes of the title track (#8 - Octavarium) trink39.gif

QUOTE (RushRevisited @ Apr 30 2006, 02:06 PM)
QUOTE (Rush! @ Apr 30 2006, 12:28 PM)
Hey guys. My uncle's friend is a big fan of prog metal and he loaned me Dream Theater's "Octavarium". Is this a good starting point? I did some research and I know that this is their latest album. I'm sure it will be fantastic.

Octavarium is a great album. Track 2 is the only track I don't like. Love all 24 minutes of the title track (#8 - Octavarium) trink39.gif

octavarium was incredible live !

QUOTE (Chimique @ Dec 9 2005, 05:10 PM)
QUOTE (tick @ Dec 9 2005, 03:45 PM)
cant we all just get along. bekloppt.gif

smile.gif I agree with you, Tick. We

all need to just get along... smile.gif

Give Peace A Chance

fukk getting along. My fav thing on this board is having DT insults hurled around. I think it's great. It shows people's true colors and is funny how someone could passionately hate a band so much. For me, DT was recommended by my bassist in 1990 cuz he knew I loved Rush. I laid there with my eyes closed on his parent's library floor with him and listened to the entire "when dream and day unite" album and totally loved it. The way I saw their music was stimulated my musical mind. I like some bands, don't care for others, but Rush was the first band that really fed my mind. Being a musician to me is like being a spoiled kid that doesn't really appreciate his regular toys. Metaphorically now, if you throw a snowmobile or a minibike into my toybox, then I'm lovin it. Those toys would be like listening to Rush. When DT came along, it was like getting a dune buggy thrown into my toybox. By dune buggy, I mean another new kewl toy that could satisfy my hunger that previously only Rush could satisfy. So DT expanded my spoiled rotten toybox beyond what toys Rush had brought me, so I was excited beyond belief. When I praise DT I'm wanting to share the toys I love with other people so they might get the same thrill I get. Now if I share my dune buggy with someone and they say they hate it and just want to ride the snowmobile, then I feel bad for them but I respect that maybe they don't like getting sand blown in their face and would rather just eat snow! lol... boarder.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ May 5 2006, 05:11 PM)
QUOTE (kazzman @ May 5 2006, 05:08 PM)
Hell just froze over....

I bought Train of Thought and Octivarium and I'm loving both of them.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v318/1001001/STFU/donaldtrumpfired.jpg

tongue.gif

cool.gif

1287.gif

QUOTE (kazzman @ May 5 2006, 04:08 PM)
Hell just froze over....

I bought Train of Thought and Octivarium and I'm loving both of them.

Glad to hear it!

ToT is probably the overall "heaviest" DT disc and I really like Honor thy Father and Stream of Conciousness. Octavarium is also quite good.

I'm completely addicted to As I Am, Panic Attack and The Root of All Evil.

I take back everything I said about DT in the past. Call me a hippocrite or a traitor if you like, but I'm really digging these guys now.

QUOTE (kazzman @ May 5 2006, 04:33 PM)

I take back everything I said about DT in the past. Call me a hippocrite or a traitor if you like, but I'm really digging these guys now.

I'm with ya. "As I Am" is a jam and a half. I watched the Portnoy DVD of his studio takes on drums for that song (and the 2nd track) and it fukkin rocks!

THe DVD is only 20 bucks and worth every penny to be a fly on the wall for Mike's actual drums parts. I'm a drummer, so maybe I'm biased, but I played it for some friends last night and they seemed entertained... 1022.gif

IMHO of why DT gets ragged on I always find myself trying to come up with possible reasons why. I guess if I wasn't a musician I would find DT terribly hard to digest and maybe get a headache from it. I think I'm able to feel it cuz I'm not overwhelmed by the advanced musicianship. Anyone agree? It's kinda like if your degestive system could only handle veggies and you tried to eat a bigass plate of Lobster and Prime Rib or something and got sick from it.

Anyone that hates DT is OK with me, but I just love em. 653.gif

QUOTE (kazzman @ May 5 2006, 05:33 PM)

all i have to say is......WOW!

QUOTE (kazzman @ May 5 2006, 02:33 PM)

Theres something I never thought I would hear.....

I may take my umbrella to work tomorrow, dont want any pig droppings landing on my head.

QUOTE (kazzman @ May 5 2006, 01:33 PM)

I'm not going to do any "hell has frozen over" things like everybody else is. People's tastes change.

QUOTE (kazzman @ May 5 2006, 05:33 PM)

kaz are you running a feaver ?

laugh.gif wink.gif

Just bought my First Dream Theater Album at the weekend, Scenes from a Memory, It F*ckin Rocks!!

I'd heard bits and pieces of their stuff before, but never paid too much heed, like a dumbass laugh.gif

I'll be buying some more of their albums, that's for sure yes.gif

1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (ABZ Highlander @ May 10 2006, 02:20 PM)
Just bought my First Dream Theater Album at the weekend, Scenes from a Memory, It F*ckin Rocks!!

I'd heard bits and pieces of their stuff before, but never paid too much heed, like a dumbass laugh.gif

WOOHOO! SFAM is great! Make sure you pick up the Dream Theater dvd, Live Scenes from New York. You'll love it.

I've been a Dream Theater fan since I was 9..and to all those non-DT fans who love to bash us, my main board is the dreaded Mike Portnoy forum. wink.gif

QUOTE (Cecilia @ May 10 2006, 07:23 PM)

1022.gif  1022.gif  1022.gif

WOOHOO! SFAM is great! Make sure you pick up the Dream Theater dvd, Live Scenes from New York. You'll love it.

I've been a Dream Theater fan since I was 9..and to all those non-DT fans who love to bash us, my main board is the dreaded Mike Portnoy forum. wink.gif

Thanks Cecilia

trink39.gif

its about f**king time ! 1022.gif trink36.gif wink.gif