Official Dream Theater Thread

Tick

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Feb 17 2006, 07:03 PM)
QUOTE (tangdog @ Feb 17 2006, 12:59 PM)
QUOTE (Disco @ Feb 15 2006, 06:00 PM)
OK, now I've heard a lot about DT on this board and even downloaded their  version of Tears (a bit over emoted in my opinion).  Following the leads given to me by others in this thread I checked out what people had said about Dreams From a Memory on the UK site of Amazon.  It's not good news.  There are two (we've got to admit it) wonderfully written reviews that make me fear to tread in DT's waters.  Here they are...

Not checking out DT because of what those two folks said would be a prime example of musical cowardice.

You can always find someone with something negative to say about anything.

I like DT because of the extended soloing and their level of musicianship. I could do with a little less singing and drama from LaBrie. Lyrically they are above average but IMO nowhere near the caliber of Rush.

I would say give it a shot, what do you got to lose?

I would recommend Images and Words, first because its my fave, but secondly should you think this stuff sucks, it would probably be the easiest one to trade or sell.

In closing, I would say one of the worst things about immediately writing off the group is that the band members are very active recording in many different progressive music side projects, some of which I like better than DT like Liquid Tension Experiment, Transatlantic and Neal Morse.

I agree. I don't like DT at ALL (as evidenced by every DT thread on here), but I still agree here with Tandog...definitely check the music out before deciding whether or not you like the music.

Same goes with any band.

goodpost.gif

I'm not a fan of them either but it is very important to listen for yourself and decide for yourself yes.gif

I'll tell you what, I've been starting to listen to some random DT songs, and they're actually starting to grow on me from a musician's stand point. Musician wise, they're amazing, but the extended soloing still gets to me after a while.

QUOTE (kazzman @ Feb 18 2006, 06:24 AM)
I'll tell you what, I've been starting to listen to some random DT songs, and they're actually starting to grow on me from a musician's stand point. Musician wise, they're amazing, but the extended soloing still gets to me after a while.

Yeah, they are great musicians. I just wish they would grow a personality.

QUOTE (kazzman @ Feb 18 2006, 10:24 AM)

I HIGHLY recommend "Biaxident" by Liquid Tension Experiment... No over-extended solos, no Labrie >_> It's probably my favourite "DT/DT-related" song.

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Feb 25 2006, 10:21 PM)
Can't wait to see the show - less than a month away.

John Myung has such personality when he plays the bass. Guy rocks man!

I know right, I was at a show one time, and he twitched his head to get his hair out of his eyes like 150 whole times!

*Faints*

QUOTE (Mustard Death @ Feb 25 2006, 11:32 PM)
QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Feb 25 2006, 10:21 PM)
Can't wait to see the show - less than a month away.

John Myung has such personality when he plays the bass.  Guy rocks man!

I know right, I was at a show one time, and he twitched his head to get his hair out of his eyes like 150 whole times!

*Faints*

He is a very unique bassist for sure - and he actually plays Yamaha!

QUOTE (Larks @ Feb 26 2006, 02:02 PM)
there is a opeth show in israel in the day of the DT show...
but i dont care,i want to see my dream!!!!!!!1111

TICK!
give me your ticket!

I know you didn't just say you didn't care about an OPETH show...

GO!!

OH

MY

GOD

GO TO THAT SHOW

!

There's a possibility I may be road tripping to Toronto to see Dream Theater. In Massey Hall!! 1022.gif

well , less then two weeks untill i see dream theater for the first time. i have awesome seats ! ( paid enough for them.) i just talked to a buddy of mine who saw them two nights in L.A. last week and what is cool is the set list was quite different than the one R.R. saw in bogata. i pumped cause now its not like i know what there gonna play. if anyone has seem them resently chime in . ken jennings , how was the show you saw ?

QUOTE (tick @ Mar 17 2006, 08:23 AM)
well , less then two weeks untill i see dream theater for the first time. i have awesome seats ! ( paid enough for them.) i just talked to a buddy of mine who saw them two nights in L.A. last week and what is cool is the set list was quite different than the one R.R. saw in bogata. i pumped cause now its not like i know what there gonna play. if anyone has seem them resently chime in . ken jennings , how was the show you saw ?

Well, DT played perfectly, but the mix was terrible. LaBrie's voice got totally washed out by guitar. My only other complaint was the lighting; it was way too much. I had some kinda extreme light-related vertigo after the show.

All in all, I was pretty well pleased though. I would recommend, definately.

QUOTE (Disco @ Feb 15 2006, 06:00 PM)
OK, now I've heard a lot about DT on this board and even downloaded their version of Tears (a bit over emoted in my opinion). Following the leads given to me by others in this thread I checked out what people had said about Dreams From a Memory on the UK site of Amazon. It's not good news. There are two (we've got to admit it) wonderfully written reviews that make me fear to tread in DT's waters. Here they are...

Well,

I don't know the credentials of these "critics", but I've got one thing to say about those reviews: "Opinions are like @ssholes. Everybody's got one and they all stink!" Professional critics have been saying bands like Rush suck and bands like Nirvana are brilliant since day one, so if you wanna believe eveything that's printed that's up to you.

For example: To say that a lack of harmonies equates to inept composition is a load of B.S. Truth be told, Dream Theater avoids harmonies for the most part since the only member who sings live is Labrie, with the exception of a few backups from Portnoy, the drummer. That way, they sound almost exactly like the records, which is a noble plan. Any band could overdub several harmony vocal tracks to thicken the sound, but D.T. sticks with what they can do live, like Rush does... 653.gif

DT DETROIT SHOW CANCELLED!

For anyone who had tickets to the Detroit show, they did the right thing by cancelling. I've seen them like 17 times and when James is "not feeling good" he is absolutely dreadful. He's either amazing or crappy depending on the condition of his vocal chords. Probably twice I've seen him suck really bad. What's important is that they pull off the New York show well so we have a great performance on DVD. Sorry to anyone who was going to see them for the first time. Don't take it the wrong way. I'm sure they'll be around for a while longer... cheer.gif

QUOTE (the_masked_drummer @ Mar 21 2006, 07:57 AM)
For anyone who had tickets to the Detroit show, they did the right thing by cancelling. I've seen them like 17 times and when James is "not feeling good" he is absolutely dreadful. He's either amazing or crappy depending on the condition of his vocal chords. Probably twice I've seen him suck really bad. What's important is that they pull off the New York show well so we have a great performance on DVD. Sorry to anyone who was going to see them for the first time. Don't take it the wrong way. I'm sure they'll be around for a while longer... cheer.gif

ok dont take this the wrong way but , BITE ME ! im going to see them for ther first time in connecticut next wednesday and i could give two shits about new york !

QUOTE (Scheamer Dreamer @ Mar 21 2006, 07:53 AM)
tick, KANSAS april 28, madison wisconsin 1022.gif

cool , ill be there when they get to connecticut. 1022.gif

QUOTE (tick @ Mar 21 2006, 08:20 AM)

ok dont take this the wrong way but , BITE ME ! im going to see them for ther first time in connecticut next wednesday and i could give two shits about new york !

Don't worry Tick,

That's why James had them cancel the Detroit show. He's much better at taking care of his voice these days. I haven't seen him in bad form since the Falling into Infinity tour.

Enjoy the Show!!! trink39.gif

QUOTE (the_masked_drummer @ Mar 21 2006, 10:41 AM)
QUOTE (tick @ Mar 21 2006, 08:20 AM)

Don't worry Tick,

That's why James had them cancel the Detroit show. He's much better at taking care of his voice these days. I haven't seen him in bad form since the Falling into Infinity tour.

Enjoy the Show!!! trink39.gif

sorry dude unsure.gif im freakin out.

laugh.gif

QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Dec 8 2005, 01:02 PM)
I still don't understand what the problem is here? I started listening to DT (and all prog-rock) BECAUSE of Rush. DT is a rock musicians band, and I hardly know any rock musicians that don't think they are great at what they do. Rush is a musicians band also but happened to get radio play, thus making them more appealing to the masses (plus they write music that most people understand and can listen to easily).

I personally think this is the problem: Some people on this forum are so 'Peart-Peart-Peart/Rush-Rush-Rush is God' and can't get it through their heads that there are other great bands and players out there that WE like too! Ooohhh, let's not let anyone intrude on our sacred band Rush because of course, they are the only band and have the 3 greatest players of all-time!
Blah frickin' Blah!!!! Get real and feel free to talk about Any band or musician you like...BUT Please Don't put down something/someone just because you feel threatened or feel they have invaded your sacred musical grounds. There is plenty of room for all of us!!

I love Rush but there are other bands too, that 'Others' like as well.

With that said....... sleep tight! wink.gif

Very well said!

This is one the best postings I've seen on the subject. My thing is, I just don't like negativity. It's ok to say you don't care for an artist, but saying anyone sucks is just negative. If you don't like or want to explore what DT has to offer (a lot IMHO), then go to a thread you like and reply in a positive way. Or maybe if you have something to say you could do it in a more mature manner than just to make a blanket statement that they suck. DT has gone the extra mile (not to mention extra time) to be the best at what they do without selling out and been very successful at it. Take a music appreciation class at your local university. You don't have to LIKE music to APPRECIATE it! Open up your mind and see what wonderful things life has to offer you! After listening to Scenes From a Memory about 50 times it just might even sink in that it's an incredible piece of artistic ear candy!

YEAH BABY ! I HAVE WAITED PATIENTLY BUT ITS TONIGHT ! 1022.gif DREAM THEATER , CHEVROLET THEATER , WALLINGFORD CONNECTICUT. 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif cool10.gif Edited by tick