Official Dream Theater Thread

Tick

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Feb 6 2006, 01:25 PM)
Finally, again, I get to see the best, hands-down, metal band to ever walk the face of the earth.

I'll post my review when I see the show.

im also going in a month ,i have 3rd row on the floor center stage.i absolutly cant wait , this will be my first dream theater show. having seen just about every great band that has ever been , seldom have i been this exited for a show.

Edited by tick

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Feb 6 2006, 01:54 PM)
The show is at Massey Hall (the venue where Rush mentions "conert hall" in SOR). I've never seen a show there before, but finally I get to see a band worthy enough to take that stage!

sounds very cool , im going to see them at the chevrolet theater(formerly the oakdale) in wallingford ct. i was gonna go to radio city music hall for the finally but i had an oportunity for better seats at this show.its a beautifull state of the art theater with great acoustics.it should be awesome , plus i have a decent shot at going backstage to meet the band.

QUOTE (tick @ Feb 6 2006, 02:59 PM)
QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Feb 6 2006, 01:54 PM)
The show is at Massey Hall (the venue where Rush mentions "conert hall" in SOR).  I've never seen a show there before, but finally I get to see a band worthy enough to take that stage!

sounds very cool , im going to see them at the chevrolet theater(formerly the oakdale) in wallingford ct. i was gonna go to radio city music hall for the finally but i had an oportunity for better seats at this show.its a beautifull state of the art theater with great acoustics.it should be awesome , plus i have a decent shot at going backstage to meet the band.

I wouldn't mind meeting Portnoy. That should be very cool. trink39.gif

Tick! no way youre gonna change your mind and give me the ticket huh?

i got a mission for you in the backstage: make myung to open his mouth(for the first time) and TALK!!! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif z7shysterical.gif

they were thinking of myung in the song "the silent man"

Yea Me & Indy were lookin at tix to go see em play at RCMH April 1st

but the tix are too much for us. Its A Soldout show and on Ebay,

Its well over $200 for 1 ticket

I think Indy mentioned that theyr filmin the show that night for

a DvD or somthin for their anniversary.

Have a good time Barn smile.gif

and dont forget to post ur review wink.gif

QUOTE (Dreamline @ Feb 15 2006, 03:53 PM)
I hope you will post LONG reviews here for us jealous fans - piccies would be nice too!

im sitting 3rd row center on the floor , and prolly have a backstage pass to meet the band. i will definatly post a review dream.

Edited by tick

QUOTE (progrush2112 @ Dec 10 2005, 01:40 PM)
QUOTE (queenshall @ Dec 8 2005, 07:52 AM)
wink.gif Tick.... what would you recomend to novice dream theater listener ?? wink.gif

http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/B000002JPA.03.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

http://www.songlyricscollection.com/lyrics/d/dream-theater/scenes-from-a-memory/scenes-from-a-memory.jpg

Metropolis Pt. 2: Scenes From a Memory is an epic concept album based on Metropolis from the Images and Words album. SFAM is DT's best selling and IMO greatest recording achievement. It is also virtuoso keyboardist Jordan Rudess' first album with the band.

ohmy.gif Thanks for the recommendation....what a superb album....a few points here

1. When I heard LaBrie I thought it was Dennis De Young !!

2. Guitar sounds like Steve Via especially on Overture 1928 !!

Just bought Scenes from a Memory on E bay, Brilliant . wink.gif

QUOTE (queenshall @ Feb 15 2006, 04:36 PM)
QUOTE (progrush2112 @ Dec 10 2005, 01:40 PM)
QUOTE (queenshall @ Dec 8 2005, 07:52 AM)
wink.gif Tick.... what would you recomend to novice dream theater listener ?? wink.gif

http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/B000002JPA.03.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

http://www.songlyricscollection.com/lyrics/d/dream-theater/scenes-from-a-memory/scenes-from-a-memory.jpg

Metropolis Pt. 2: Scenes From a Memory is an epic concept album based on Metropolis from the Images and Words album. SFAM is DT's best selling and IMO greatest recording achievement. It is also virtuoso keyboardist Jordan Rudess' first album with the band.

ohmy.gif Thanks for the recommendation....what a superb album....a few points here

1. When I heard LaBrie I thought it was Dennis De Young !!

2. Guitar sounds like Steve Via especially on Overture 1928 !!

Just bought Scenes from a Memory on E bay, Brilliant . wink.gif

awesome queenshall ! glad your loving them . new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

OK, now I've heard a lot about DT on this board and even downloaded their version of Tears (a bit over emoted in my opinion). Following the leads given to me by others in this thread I checked out what people had said about Dreams From a Memory on the UK site of Amazon. It's not good news. There are two (we've got to admit it) wonderfully written reviews that make me fear to tread in DT's waters. Here they are...

Love Disco

1 out of 5 stars Why are there no negative stars?, October 28, 2004

Reviewer: Nina from Moscow, Russia

Well, well, well. I must admit I've never been a fan of this particular brand of hideous dork-rock, but even I was unprepared for the horrors of this masturbatory ego-trip. What makes sweaty lead singer James LaBrie think that I, or anyone else with functioning ears, would want to hear him wheeze out his painfully immature lyrics, to the backing of a band of monumentally stupid, egocentric losers with a degree in soulless soloing? Cries of 'Concept Album' are no excuse - no excuse at all - for the lasting damage this 'masterpiece' has done to humanity.

The poor decisions and inexplicable ideas put into this album are too numerous to mention them all, but here's a taster:

- There is no harmonisation, and no contrapuntal melodies at any point in the whole album. For a band claiming to be expert musicians, this is a slight oversight, no? Instead, what you get is Every Single Instrument playing the _exact_ _same_ melody! This is testament to the band's lack of cooperation and the intense egotism of the musicians. The effect this has is that the music becomes entirely flat and, frankly, sounds retarded.

- Mike Portnoy's drumming consists mainly of thwacking the bass pedal very fast, matching up note-for-note with the solos that every other band member is playing. Thus, the music is rhythmically flat as well as musically uninteresting.

- Roughly half of what you think are guitar solos, are in fact the keyboard player using the pitch-bend wheel to simulate string bending. This I find personally offensive.

- A topic several others have touched on - the lyrics. I honestly couldn't believe, on first hearing, that this was not a comedy album. How anyone, let alone grown men, could write lines such as "Safe in the light that surrounds me, free from the pain and the fear" is beyond belief, and scorns the legacy of such songwriters as Van Morrison, Jeff Buckley and Joni Mitchell.

- Absurd, generic 'influences' pasted in from cultures that this band neither understands nor deserves to associate itself with.

- The utterly incredible (in the literal sense of the word) acting. " Crunch, crunch, crunch. 'Aaaaagh!'... " is the close of the album, and should leave you in no doubt as to what you must do. Get petrol; douse CD and packaging; burn. DO NOT inhale the fumes, for these too are dangerous.

I find it worrying - to say the least - that so many people have given this five stars. I tell myself, 'It's all right. These people are young, they can still learn. There is time for them to change, to grow.' But I know in my heart that for some of them, there is no time. They will leave this earth knowing no better music than DreamTheater. And I weep.

AND

1 out of 5 stars Oh Lord!, August 3, 2004

Reviewer: njsharma from Bournemouth, Dorset United Kingdom

Where to start?

Obviously, the only people who have reviewed this record so far are die-hard fans, each convinced that only they "get" this album and everyone else misunderstands its intricate, mysterious narrative.

Well, sorry to burst a few bubbles here but this album is absolutely the funniest cheese-metal I have ever had the intense pleasure of hearing. Listening to supremely talented, virtuoso musicians making the most childish, inept music the world has seen brings tears of laughter to my eyes every time. It is actually worth owning because of its humour value - no joke, the album is that funny. I would go so far as to call it life-affirming.

The opening is hideously contrived (beginning with the positively obscene idea of a hypnotist inviting the singer to return to his troubled, manly, tortuous, manly dreams) and nearly put me off the album altogether, until I realised it is but one thread in a complex tapestry of awful that will take you on an epic tour of bad ideas you never would have imagined possible.

DreamTheater (ha!) seem to think that the more notes they can cram into a given time, the better the solo must be. Not so! No more impressive is the positively absurd drumwork of Portnoy, who uses approximately 7 bass drums, 143 snare drums and 415 cymbals in his standard drumkit. He even has a stool on a sliding rail to reach all 7 bass pedals. I think that tells you something important.

If you want all the humour without living with the shame of buying this, instead get tracks 8 and 9. These condense the mirth by working backwards through every single moronic riff featured in the previous 7 songs in what the band presumably thought was a clever, cyclical aspect to the album's structure. In fact, it is a way of meeting the total record time stipulated by their record company. These songs also feature the most mind-bogglingly ridiculous pasted-in solo in the whole album. A Ragtime Piano Interlude. No, that is not a typo - a RAGTIME PIANO SECTION. That is something I could not have comprehended before I heard this album - that any band could so lose sight of the Purpose of music-making, as to insert something so heinous and random, just to prove that their keyboard is expensive enough to have a "honky-tonk" setting in its MIDI bank.

Well, there are of course many more comedy gems concealed in this album (the abrupt insertion of sitars and tablas to show DT's "eastern influences", the laugh-out-loud funny wooden acting at the end, the ridiclous lyrics and complete lack of atmosphere throughout... oh, the memories) I only have 1,000 words and that is not nearly enough to do this album justice.

In conclusion, this is practically a comprehensive guide on how NOT to make music. It proves once and for all that there is not necessarily any correlation between "technical ability" and "ability to make an album that isn't terrible". It should provide a solemn warning to future generations - but in the meantime, let's all just enjoy it for what it is - a monstrously pretentious, thorougly enjoyable piece of pomposity!

well disco ,ive been a diehard music fan my whole life ,not to mention im also a musician. i know some people love dream theater ,some hate them. i think their awesome, and scenes from a memory is one of my all time favorite albums. i love pretty much everything theve done, so i guess your gonna have to judge it for yourself. another point is how much trust do you put into a movie review , i seldom agree with critics. love them our hate them dream theater is cetainly not ignored around these parts.

tick.

QUOTE (Disco @ Feb 15 2006, 03:00 PM)
OK, now I've heard a lot about DT on this board and even downloaded their version of Tears (a bit over emoted in my opinion). Following the leads given to me by others in this thread I checked out what people had said about Dreams From a Memory on the UK site of Amazon. It's not good news. There are two (we've got to admit it) wonderfully written reviews that make me fear to tread in DT's waters. Here they are...

Love Disco

1 out of 5 stars Why are there no negative stars?, October 28, 2004
Reviewer: Nina from Moscow, Russia

Well, well, well. I must admit I've never been a fan of this particular brand of hideous dork-rock, but even I was unprepared for the horrors of this masturbatory ego-trip. What makes sweaty lead singer James LaBrie think that I, or anyone else with functioning ears, would want to hear him wheeze out his painfully immature lyrics, to the backing of a band of monumentally stupid, egocentric losers with a degree in soulless soloing? Cries of 'Concept Album' are no excuse - no excuse at all - for the lasting damage this 'masterpiece' has done to humanity.

The poor decisions and inexplicable ideas put into this album are too numerous to mention them all, but here's a taster:
- There is no harmonisation, and no contrapuntal melodies at any point in the whole album. For a band claiming to be expert musicians, this is a slight oversight, no? Instead, what you get is Every Single Instrument playing the _exact_ _same_ melody! This is testament to the band's lack of cooperation and the intense egotism of the musicians. The effect this has is that the music becomes entirely flat and, frankly, sounds retarded.
- Mike Portnoy's drumming consists mainly of thwacking the bass pedal very fast, matching up note-for-note with the solos that every other band member is playing. Thus, the music is rhythmically flat as well as musically uninteresting.
- Roughly half of what you think are guitar solos, are in fact the keyboard player using the pitch-bend wheel to simulate string bending. This I find personally offensive.
- A topic several others have touched on - the lyrics. I honestly couldn't believe, on first hearing, that this was not a comedy album. How anyone, let alone grown men, could write lines such as "Safe in the light that surrounds me, free from the pain and the fear" is beyond belief, and scorns the legacy of such songwriters as Van Morrison, Jeff Buckley and Joni Mitchell.
- Absurd, generic 'influences' pasted in from cultures that this band neither understands nor deserves to associate itself with.
- The utterly incredible (in the literal sense of the word) acting. " Crunch, crunch, crunch. 'Aaaaagh!'... " is the close of the album, and should leave you in no doubt as to what you must do. Get petrol; douse CD and packaging; burn. DO NOT inhale the fumes, for these too are dangerous.

I find it worrying - to say the least - that so many people have given this five stars. I tell myself, 'It's all right. These people are young, they can still learn. There is time for them to change, to grow.' But I know in my heart that for some of them, there is no time. They will leave this earth knowing no better music than DreamTheater. And I weep.

AND

1 out of 5 stars Oh Lord!, August 3, 2004
Reviewer: njsharma from Bournemouth, Dorset United Kingdom

Where to start?

Obviously, the only people who have reviewed this record so far are die-hard fans, each convinced that only they "get" this album and everyone else misunderstands its intricate, mysterious narrative.

Well, sorry to burst a few bubbles here but this album is absolutely the funniest cheese-metal I have ever had the intense pleasure of hearing. Listening to supremely talented, virtuoso musicians making the most childish, inept music the world has seen brings tears of laughter to my eyes every time. It is actually worth owning because of its humour value - no joke, the album is that funny. I would go so far as to call it life-affirming.

The opening is hideously contrived (beginning with the positively obscene idea of a hypnotist inviting the singer to return to his troubled, manly, tortuous, manly dreams) and nearly put me off the album altogether, until I realised it is but one thread in a complex tapestry of awful that will take you on an epic tour of bad ideas you never would have imagined possible.

DreamTheater (ha!) seem to think that the more notes they can cram into a given time, the better the solo must be. Not so! No more impressive is the positively absurd drumwork of Portnoy, who uses approximately 7 bass drums, 143 snare drums and 415 cymbals in his standard drumkit. He even has a stool on a sliding rail to reach all 7 bass pedals. I think that tells you something important.

If you want all the humour without living with the shame of buying this, instead get tracks 8 and 9. These condense the mirth by working backwards through every single moronic riff featured in the previous 7 songs in what the band presumably thought was a clever, cyclical aspect to the album's structure. In fact, it is a way of meeting the total record time stipulated by their record company. These songs also feature the most mind-bogglingly ridiculous pasted-in solo in the whole album. A Ragtime Piano Interlude. No, that is not a typo - a RAGTIME PIANO SECTION. That is something I could not have comprehended before I heard this album - that any band could so lose sight of the Purpose of music-making, as to insert something so heinous and random, just to prove that their keyboard is expensive enough to have a "honky-tonk" setting in its MIDI bank.

Well, there are of course many more comedy gems concealed in this album (the abrupt insertion of sitars and tablas to show DT's "eastern influences", the laugh-out-loud funny wooden acting at the end, the ridiclous lyrics and complete lack of atmosphere throughout... oh, the memories) I only have 1,000 words and that is not nearly enough to do this album justice.

In conclusion, this is practically a comprehensive guide on how NOT to make music. It proves once and for all that there is not necessarily any correlation between "technical ability" and "ability to make an album that isn't terrible". It should provide a solemn warning to future generations - but in the meantime, let's all just enjoy it for what it is - a monstrously pretentious, thorougly enjoyable piece of pomposity!

That about sums it up.

QUOTE (Disco @ Feb 15 2006, 06:00 PM)

Not checking out DT because of what those two folks said would be a prime example of musical cowardice.

You can always find someone with something negative to say about anything.

I like DT because of the extended soloing and their level of musicianship. I could do with a little less singing and drama from LaBrie. Lyrically they are above average but IMO nowhere near the caliber of Rush.

I would say give it a shot, what do you got to lose?

I would recommend Images and Words, first because its my fave, but secondly should you think this stuff sucks, it would probably be the easiest one to trade or sell.

In closing, I would say one of the worst things about immediately writing off the group is that the band members are very active recording in many different progressive music side projects, some of which I like better than DT like Liquid Tension Experiment, Transatlantic and Neal Morse.

QUOTE (tangdog @ Feb 17 2006, 12:59 PM)
OK, now I've heard a lot about DT on this board and even downloaded their  version of Tears (a bit over emoted in my opinion).  Following the leads given to me by others in this thread I checked out what people had said about Dreams From a Memory on the UK site of Amazon.  It's not good news.  There are two (we've got to admit it) wonderfully written reviews that make me fear to tread in DT's waters.  Here they are...

Not checking out DT because of what those two folks said would be a prime example of musical cowardice.

I like DT because of the extended soloing and their level of musicianship. I could do with a little less singing and drama from LaBrie. Lyrically they are above average but IMO nowhere near the caliber of Rush.

I would recommend Images and Words, first because its my fave, but secondly should you think this stuff sucks, it would probably be the easiest one to trade or sell.

In closing, I would say one of the worst things about immediately writing off the group is that the band members are very active recording in many different progressive music side projects, some of which I like better than DT like Liquid Tension Experiment, Transatlantic and Neal Morse.

I agree. I don't like DT at ALL (as evidenced by every DT thread on here), but I still agree here with Tandog...definitely check the music out before deciding whether or not you like the music.

Same goes with any band.

QUOTE (tangdog @ Feb 17 2006, 04:59 PM)
OK, now I've heard a lot about DT on this board and even downloaded their  version of Tears (a bit over emoted in my opinion).  Following the leads given to me by others in this thread I checked out what people had said about Dreams From a Memory on the UK site of Amazon.  It's not good news.  There are two (we've got to admit it) wonderfully written reviews that make me fear to tread in DT's waters.  Here they are...

In my opinion, the lyrics completely died after Awake. Supposedly there's some good material on Metropolis II, but after reading the other lyric books.. I'm not so sure that's true...