Official Dream Theater Thread

Tick

As much as I have put down TA, I still feel it has the potential to grow.

A few months on I am finding myself warming to the idea of opening up to a Broadway musical-esque metal album. It's possibly an acquired taste, much like Scenes was for me.

I had a really strong initial reaction and that actually was interesting as normally if I dislike something I am just happy to put it away.

• Like 1

They'll be here next month. Ask me if I'm going...

Rod, I really think you should.

I think this is a great album, but seeing it live made it a whole lot better.

You don't want to be kicking yourself about it later on!

I´ve seen them a bunch of times live, Del_Duio. This time, I think I´ll pass. Jordan said the next album will be completely different (thank god!!!), so I´ll wait for the next album/tour cycle.
  • Like 2

Love the band. Have to say today that they kind of list me with this record.

Hope the next one is indeed different.

• Like 2

As long as the next one is more along the lines of Dramatic Turn and the self titled, I will be happy. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I would be verry happy with another aling the lines of the s/t

I´ve seen them a bunch of times live, Del_Duio. This time, I think I´ll pass. Jordan said the next album will be completely different (thank god!!!), so I´ll wait for the next album/tour cycle.

I know, it's just as one big fan to another I didn't want you to miss out :)

I do love how often they pump out these incredible albums all the time though! With that and all the touring how the hell do they do it?

• Like 1

I do love how often they pump out these incredible albums all the time though! With that and all the touring how the hell do they do it?

They're always in the songwriting groove with a new album every two years or so. They never have a chance to lose focus on it like some bands who can take years between albums. At least that's my guess has to how the band remains so consistently good with their releases.

Edited by J2112YYZ

I think they're doing it while they're still young, and /CAN/ do it. These guys are smart, and know they have a good thing going on.. they don't want to blow it, or waste it. In my opinion.

• Like 1

I think they're doing it while they're still young, and /CAN/ do it. These guys are smart, and know they have a good thing going on.. they don't want to blow it, or waste it. In my opinion.

Young? That's not what I would call them anymore.

Labrie - 53

Petrucci - 49 (next month)

Myung - 49

Rudess - 60 (in November)

Mangini - 53

You can officially call Rudess "old man" later this year :LOL:

OK, so I admit I was disappointed in The Astonishing, it actually made me bitter towards Dream Theater. Think what you will, but I have NEVER hated a new release as much as I did The Astonishing. Several months on, it has only gotten worse and personally I think it is best I just let it be and move on.

So, in order to remind myself just how much I actually do like this band, I decided to play a classic album, Awake!

A masterpiece, I am amazed by the diversity and also just how much I have grown to love Labrie's voice, which initially turned me off.

Going to try and put TA to the back of my mind, just as I have chosen to ignore Styx's Kilroy Was Here (that almost derailed my opinion on them forever).

It sounds silly, but because I so rarely hate anything by a band I enjoy, when I do it creates an intense negative reaction, and TA came along at the same time I was just starting to get into DT. Bad timing, but hardly the bands fault.

They can do whatever they like, same as me. So whilst they continue peddling TA I will just stick to the true classics from now on.

• Like 1

i put on TA the other day........it's ok. i'll never get the Vehement hate towards it. that's a bit much.

but it's a bottom tier DT album. DT has So much classic stuff. i include the 2 previous mangini albums in that.

I mean......i absolutly love the Self Titled so much. TA was so average after that.

Mick

• Like 1

i put on TA the other day........it's ok. i'll never get the Vehement hate towards it. that's a bit much.

but it's a bottom tier DT album. DT has So much classic stuff. i include the 2 previous mangini albums in that.

I mean......i absolutly love the Self Titled so much. TA was so average after that.

Mick

As I said, it is rare for me to hate something so bad, a lot of it is also due to some of the fans continually rubbing it in my face how great it is. I left the DT forum faster than I joined it!

But each to their own, try being me wondering why the world prefers CA to VT!

• Like 1

I haven't been on the DT forum in a bit. but they were riding TA'S dick hard in the beginning. but the public really isn't to hot on it. read reviews,, lol

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 1

I haven't been on the DT forum in a bit. but they were riding TA'S dick hard in the beginning. but the public really isn't to hot on it. read reviews,, lol

Mick

I will just put my experience down to the band being so diverse, not everything will hit the mark for me.

Besides, we all have our faves. I love Falling In Infinity for goodness sake!

As I said, it is rare for me to hate something so bad

..For more than 3 posts? You flip flop more than that poor fish at the end of that Faith No More video!

..For more than 3 posts? You flip flop more than that poor fish at the end of that Faith No More video!

I think that is very rude.

How many people have instant, permanent views on music? I am always honest about my thoughts on NEW music I am listening too. Sometimes the music I listen to that grabs me instantly wears off quick, and many albums that initially leave me cold grow to become favourites.

Many here have the same reactions, they just don't share their experiences as much as me.

How many people have instant, permanent views on music? I am always honest about my thoughts on NEW music I am listening too. Sometimes the music I listen to that grabs me instantly wears off quick, and many albums that initially leave me cold grow to become favourites.

Many here have the same reactions, they just don't share their experiences as much as me.

Didn't mean it to be rude, just an observation Segue.

I agree one's opinions on music can change but sometimes for you it's only within a day or two's time ;)

• Like 1

Didn't mean it to be rude, just an observation Segue.

I agree one's opinions on music can change but sometimes for you it's only within a day or two's time ;)

Tis all good!

I have said many times that this forum has worked wonders on my personal tastes. From day one, I have been challenged and I love so many artists I never thought I ever would!

• Like 1

Lifting Shadows Off A Dream is AMAZING!

The synths remind me so much of Disintegration era The Cure!

• Like 1

Awake is really reminding me of this bands greatness!

Where next?!

Scarred was terrific as well.

Revisiting these still rather unfamilar albums is great!

Space Dyed Vest now. Peculiar title, but I love this song!

• Like 1