Official Dream Theater Thread

Tick

I'm floored that Rod doesn't like it, actually.

I heard he used to sneak backstage and collect Portnoy spittle, he's that into them.

• Like 1

I heard he used to sneak backstage and collect Portnoy spittle, he's that into them.

Rod's been like those movie critics who have their reviews written before the produdt drops. been bashing a while now, lol

And months back he WAS proclaiming this would be better then Scenes.

So it's a head scratcher for sure.

Ah well.......he's still cool, lol

Mick

• Like 1

I'm a long time fan as most of you know, and my expectation was that the new album could surpass the excellent self titled. But after hearing the first singles I was seriously underwhelmed and started to expect a flop. Unfortunately, for me, it's been confirmed. But who knows...I've changed my opinion about Systematic Chaos, so there's always hope. The difference here is that it's not an album one could go back to in small doses - it's an all or nothing type of deal...
  • Like 3

Its definitely a venture some will embrace and others won't. They essentially wrote a Broadway style musical. That won't sit well with some. It does with me. There are so many layers to it it takes a bit to feel it. I'm feeling it now. I myself like to see a band step out of a comfort zone and do what they want for better or worse. They earned the right. That's why Rush survived 40 years and never became a dinosaur. Never stayed stuck in one place.

I can't wait to see it performed live!

• Like 3

My jar of Portnoy snot will be even more full with The Winery Dogs' upcoming show in Rio.

• Like 1

I am starting my 3rd proper play through front to back.

2nd was much better than the first in typical DT fashion. But reading the lyrics and getting a visual of the story is critical to immersing yourself into what DT is reaching for with this ambitious project.

I also have come to the realization to not even compare this with anything they have ever done. Because it is simply nothing like they have ever done before. It has a lot of restraint. The riffs are tasteful, sudden and in the right spots, and then they move on to the next suite.

It a beautiful production.

It is not meant to be listened to in pieces. This is an album where you cozy up with a bottle of wine, or whatever organic refreshments you like with your music (or none), and just lose yourself in the story they are weaving. It is a slow burn. It is an epic movie unfolding.

It has truly come together for me once I turned off any comparison to any previous album.

This is it's own animal.

Yeah, this is what happened to me!

Only I don't own it yet, but I like just getting to grips with the story loosely for now, plus when I do get the album I will be able to then flesh out the rest of the concept fully!

It's the only rock opera that has hit me this way, I still haven't quite got to grips with Scenes (new fan lol), otherwise the last one I LOVE is Jeff Wayne's Musical Version Of The War Of The World's.

• Like 2

Certainly a broadway.......um......sorry Rock opera and Disney vibe to TA.

Face it....you could mount this on broadway tomorrow.

Rock fans aren't kind to musicals.......but that's what DT made here. a musical.

Mick

After another listen...oh my God!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!@!!!

It still sucks!

I can only hope it grows on you! If not, at least you didn't give up on it without a fight.

• Like 1

Perfect is few and far between but it's good to see you appreciate the effort, Tony!

I've only had one listen yet, I need more time to digest.

I bought the new Megadeth today. Cranking it up right now!!!! Unfortunately the new Anthrax will only be available in Brazil towards the end of February...

2nd was much better than the first in typical DT fashion. But reading the lyrics and getting a visual of the story is critical to immersing yourself into what DT is reaching for with this ambitious project.

I also have come to the realization to not even compare this with anything they have ever done. Because it is simply nothing like they have ever done before. It has a lot of restraint. The riffs are tasteful, sudden and in the right spots, and then they move on to the next suite.

It is not meant to be listened to in pieces. This is an album where you cozy up with a bottle of wine, or whatever organic refreshments you like with your music (or none), and just lose yourself in the story they are weaving. It is a slow burn. It is an epic movie unfolding.

It has truly come together for me once I turned off any comparison to any previous album.

This is it's own animal.

Only I don't own it yet, but I like just getting to grips with the story loosely for now, plus when I do get the album I will be able to then flesh out the rest of the concept fully!

It's the only rock opera that has hit me this way, I still haven't quite got to grips with Scenes (new fan lol), otherwise the last one I LOVE is Jeff Wayne's Musical Version Of The War Of The World's.

Scenes From A Memory PT2 is my all time fav from them and was my second album. I got into DT in earnest around 2004. I picked up Octavarium on a whim and was blown away. I then picked up SFAM and was floored.

But The Astonishing is a totally different beast. Once I detached from everything they did prior.....I started to really enjoy it. I thought I was going to get another SFAM type of record. Nope. Not even in the same solar system.

Glad they did not recycle and instead really went out of the box.

I would love to see a lavish stage production on this tour with the entire album performed. Encore would be 2-3 fan fav's. Curtains.

Wonder if they will take the opportunity to really showcase the entire album much like Rush did (and thankfully so) with CA. It is a great opportunity. Bring a hired string section and choir singers....the works.

I would love that.

• Like 1

I've only had one listen yet, I need more time to digest.

I bought the new Megadeth today. Cranking it up right now!!!! Unfortunately the new Anthrax will only be available in Brazil towards the end of February...

Yeah Feb 26 that's the same date for everywhere.

This is it's own animal.

Scenes From A Memory PT2 is my all time fav from them and was my second album. I got into DT in earnest around 2004. I picked up Octavarium on a whim and was blown away. I then picked up SFAM and was floored.

But The Astonishing is a totally different beast. Once I detached from everything they did prior.....I started to really enjoy it. I thought I was going to get another SFAM type of record. Nope. Not even in the same solar system.

Glad they did not recycle and instead really went out of the box.

I would love to see a lavish stage production on this tour with the entire album performed. Encore would be 2-3 fan fav's. Curtains.

Wonder if they will take the opportunity to really showcase the entire album much like Rush did (and thankfully so) with CA. It is a great opportunity. Bring a hired string section and choir singers....the works.

I would love that.

The new tour will be The Astonishing in full, and nothing else.

• Like 1

Now we just need to see that Florida date.....please anywhere in the state and I will travel to see it.

The tour is to showcase the album. They will play it start to finish and that's the show.

Unclear about encores at this point

• Like 2

The tour is to showcase the album. They will play it start to finish and that's the show.

I'm sure I read somewhere that there'll be nothing else played live aside from the new album.

I'm sure I read somewhere that there'll be nothing else played live aside from the new album.

Me too but until they play a show I won't take that as gospel.

• Like 1