Official Dream Theater Thread

Tick

Finally got to listen to it a little in my car...maybe the first five or six tunes...right off the bat, I WILL say that listening to it "open air" and not with ear buds IS a big difference...but I will ALSO say...the drum sound is freaking HORRIBLE! Sounds like that triggered crap that they used for Images and Words...That snare sound is just grating on the ears! Doesn't anyone know how to records a snare drum so it SOUNDS like a snare drum anymore?!?!? yeeeesh! Too much gating if you ask me....

Also so far..the fact that one song sort of melds into another puts me into a "just make one big tune" kind of thing. So it's not an album to have in your "random" folder on your iPod.

I am hearing you on the snare sound. An album like this is absolutely not something you can listen to random.

Finally got to listen to it a little in my car...maybe the first five or six tunes...right off the bat, I WILL say that listening to it "open air" and not with ear buds IS a big difference...but I will ALSO say...the drum sound is freaking HORRIBLE! Sounds like that triggered crap that they used for Images and Words...That snare sound is just grating on the ears! Doesn't anyone know how to records a snare drum so it SOUNDS like a snare drum anymore?!?!? yeeeesh! Too much gating if you ask me....

Also so far..the fact that one song sort of melds into another puts me into a "just make one big tune" kind of thing. So it's not an album to have in your "random" folder on your iPod.

Portnoy is a master when it comes to reaching a perfect drum sound

• Like 1

Our New World is pretty good.

How do we feel about Mangini now after three albums? Is Portnoy better?

Emotional feel, I would say yes.

Outright skill level, Mangini is more technically proficient.

I don't hear that much that impresses me from Mangini. I almost don't notice him on these albums half the time, which may be a good thing or a bad thing depending on what he's playing and what he's playing over.

To see him perform live really shows how amazing a drummer he is. He can just do things skill wise Mike can't. But that's not knocking Mike. I love Mikes playing.

Ok then so how about a little bit of Megadeth? :guitar:

No...whatever engineer he's been using (and his tech who does the tuning) has it down... Whomever was MM's tech, and whomever the engineer is needs to be slapped

Interesting take. I totally get it. I've hated that Portnoy machine gun snare sound on "Images" since the record came out! I will have to pay more attention to the drum sound on the new record. One thing I do notice at times is the bass drum work seems very robotic. The band could have used a drum machine instead and saved money.

Mangini has always been the better fit then Portnoy to me.

Portnoy was more Flashy/emotional yes.

i enjoy Mangini more. He's more machine like. but Everything he does fits the song he's playing. he plays for the song.

Mick

I haven't seen Mangina play yet but I have seen Portnoy play at least 14 times. Meh. I am sure the new Mike is better.

• Like 1

Interesting take. I totally get it. I've hated that Portnoy machine gun snare sound on "Images" since the record came out! I will have to pay more attention to the drum sound on the new record. One thing I do notice at times is the bass drum work seems very robotic. The band could have used a drum machine instead and saved money.

Earl when are you going to visit Mike Portnoy's home and talk drums and RUSH with him?

No...whatever engineer he's been using (and his tech who does the tuning) has it down... Whomever was MM's tech, and whomever the engineer is needs to be slapped

Haha! I thought Rod was being sarcastic with his Portnoy comment. That's yet another great point. You can't blame the entire sound issue on the drummer. The engineer is also to blame.

Earl when are you going to visit Mike Portnoy's home and talk drums and RUSH with him?

Portnoy gave me his cell phone number when I saw him at Yoshi's with the Winery Dogs. Every time I call the number it says that the number is no longer in service. He hates me.

• Like 2

i enjoy Mangini more. He's more machine like. but Everything he does fits the song he's playing. he plays for the song.

Mick

I haven't seen Mangina play yet but I have seen Portnoy play at least 14 times. Meh. I am sure the new Mike is better.

Mangini is much better live.

He KILLED the Shattered Fortress

Mick

Haha! I thought Rod was being sarcastic with his Portnoy comment. That's yet another great point. You can't blame the entire sound issue on the drummer. The engineer is also to blame.

Yeah...Engineer, producer... Most engineers just listen to the drums, place the mic's and go... This stuff is just horrid sounding...

Mick

Not sure... I like MP's stuff outside of DT. I like his stuff with Neal Morse, and Transatlantic. His DT stuff was just notes for the sake of notes in a LOT of cases, and I can't stand that balls to the wall stuff...which is why my first listen to this new album isn't sitting well with me... I'm just hoping that I can get past this snare sound.

But my issue with MP was he relied upon the double bass stuff CONSTANTLY and it seemed like a lot of his fills were the same thing over and over from song to song. I just don't know enough of Mangini's stuff to comment on what he can and can't do. I haven't really liked the last two albums, so....

• Like 1

Mick

Not sure... I like MP's stuff outside of DT. I like his stuff with Neal Morse, and Transatlantic. His DT stuff was just notes for the sake of notes in a LOT of cases, and I can't stand that balls to the wall stuff...which is why my first listen to this new album isn't sitting well with me... I'm just hoping that I can get past this snare sound.

But my issue with MP was he relied upon the double bass stuff CONSTANTLY and it seemed like a lot of his fills were the same thing over and over from song to song. I just don't know enough of Mangini's stuff to comment on what he can and can't do. I haven't really liked the last two albums, so....

yes MP is like the king of recycled fills.

he became very predictable.

Mick

• Like 1

It's pretty great.

It is ballad heavy, but after a few spins I really enjoyed it.

This was the hardest DT album for me to get into. I still think it needs a lot more time!

• Like 1

It's pretty great.

It is ballad heavy, but after a few spins I really enjoyed it.

This was the hardest DT album for me to get into. I still think it needs a lot more time!

Was kinda being funny sarcastic , cuz this thread blowing up with debate lol

Glad u like it man. Im enjoying it. So far

I am going to just refrain from ranking DT for a while.

But after night I can see it rising very high.

Surprised by how challenging it is for me.

• Like 1

On my second listen and it's coming together more and more for me.

I am reading the lyrics and really getting into the characters and starting to "feel" the story come alive.

It's a highly challenging record.

• Like 2

On my second listen and it's coming together more and more for me.

I am reading the lyrics and really getting into the characters and starting to "feel" the story come alive.

It's a highly challenging record.

reading the story helps.....a LOT.

Mick

• Like 1