Official Dream Theater Thread

Tick

Ayreon's 01011001 is a terrific album.

Agreed! And I really enjoy the latest one as well. Cheesy lyrics aside, its got great melodies and a phenomenal selection of vocalists!

The Theory Of Everything? I just can never remember the title.

Why does this band gets so much attention from people who don't seem to like them?

Because they used to be impeccable, and there's always hope they'll return to that mode eventually. The self titled album was awesome, and I had high hopes for their next effort. I haven't heard it yet, and will do so with an open mind - nobody gives up on a band they've been a fan of for 20 years so fast - but what I've heard so far is not exactly promising.

Yeah...as a new fan this is how I feel. Listening to old and new all at once, it is immediately obvious where the gems lie, but all the bad stuff has been released post Six Degrees. And I would say the last three albums have been "nice".

Crazy concepts does not inspire genuine excitement or musical evolution. I still only hear echoes of better times on The Astonishing.

But on its own terms, its a really fun album. As much as I enjoy it, I am not going to give it hyperbolic praise, and yet I also think it is far from a disaster. Not even close.

Falling Into Infinity was before 6DIT :P

I haven't listened to The Astonishing yet but being a newbie fan of DT, I'm still a bit confused on the overwhelming praise that I&W gets. Maybe it's just my tastes and what I like hearing from them. I&W is a good album but it's nowhere as good as Scenes or 6DIT, or even Black Clouds and Silver Linings, IMO.

I've also read stuff throughout the web and I don't get the seemingly heavy dislike of Black Clouds and Silver Linings either. Love that album.

• Like 2

Why does this band gets so much attention from people who don't seem to like them?

Because they used to be impeccable, and there's always hope they'll return to that mode eventually. The self titled album was awesome, and I had high hopes for their next effort. I haven't heard it yet, and will do so with an open mind - nobody gives up on a band they've been a fan of for 20 years so fast - but what I've heard so far is not exactly promising.

Yeah...as a new fan this is how I feel. Listening to old and new all at once, it is immediately obvious where the gems lie, but all the bad stuff has been released post Six Degrees. And I would say the last three albums have been "nice".

Crazy concepts does not inspire genuine excitement or musical evolution. I still only hear echoes of better times on The Astonishing.

But on its own terms, its a really fun album. As much as I enjoy it, I am not going to give it hyperbolic praise, and yet I also think it is far from a disaster. Not even close.

Falling Into Infinity was before 6DIT :P

I haven't listened to The Astonishing yet but being a newbie fan of DT, I'm still a bit confused on the overwhelming praise that I&W gets. Maybe it's just my tastes and what I like hearing from them. I&W is a good album but it's nowhere as good as Scenes or 6DIT, or even Black Clouds and Silver Linings, IMO.

I've also read stuff throughout the web and I don't get the seemingly heavy dislike of Black Clouds and Silver Linings either. Love that album.

I prefer FII to SC and ToT.

And agreed! Black Clouds is close to perfect! And Octavarium is a much better catchy metal album than Images. Pull Me Under is not a patch on These Walls.

These Walls and The Count Of Tuscany are my two favourite DYT songs.

• Like 1

BC&SL is good, but it suffers from four of the six songs being long and all having something that needed improvement. Plus, while almost every DT album seems to have its own identity, while all being inside DT's wheelhouse, BC&SL is lacking one.

BC&SL is good, but it suffers from four of the six songs being long and all having something that needed improvement. Plus, while almost every DT album seems to have its own identity, while all being inside DT's wheelhouse, BC&SL is lacking one.

I see Black Clouds and Silver Linings as a much proggier Train of Thought, only the songs are all actually good. It is definitely some of the heaviest shit I've heard them put out. The album just seems extremely dark but they find ways to bring in the light like with The Best of Times and Count of Tuscany.

Got to listen to a little more yesterday, not much this weekend...with family, and not many are into prog metal....

Still not thrilled with it...sounds like formulaic DT, lots of notes, and epic sounding stuff from Rudess... Which pretty much puts me at a "why I don't like Rudess so much" head... I think that other than when he plays piano..it s kinda of tough to discern his playing other than the orchestral motifs all over the piece...I miss the old days when keys sounded like keys, and besides a few occasional spots, everything I've heard is "grandiose", not chops laden...and again...don't get me wrong, the man can play...but I don't like his playing in this band...

If I get a road trip or weekend by myself, I'll give it a better critical listen, and see if anything strikes me.

Er, what? This is anything but formulaic DT. And lots of notes? Maybe relative to many other bands, for DT, this is probably their least wanky album (along with Falling into Infinity) to date, especially when you consider how much material is on this (130 minutes of music). You can count on one hand the number of times they shred on this.

I agree. i'm gonna say........and some will disagree. having sat with this album for a while. this is some of the most ambitious music DT has ever made. it is anything but safe.

It is Diverse........and has some of the best pure melodies they've ever written.

It's amazing what they've done here.

Mick

As I said...it's my initial assessment, and it's been through ear buds, and incomplete. I need time with it in my car, loud and with the ability to run something back that strikes me with no difficulty. But my first impression is "eh"....

• Like 1

Got to listen to a little more yesterday, not much this weekend...with family, and not many are into prog metal....

Still not thrilled with it...sounds like formulaic DT, lots of notes, and epic sounding stuff from Rudess... Which pretty much puts me at a "why I don't like Rudess so much" head... I think that other than when he plays piano..it s kinda of tough to discern his playing other than the orchestral motifs all over the piece...I miss the old days when keys sounded like keys, and besides a few occasional spots, everything I've heard is "grandiose", not chops laden...and again...don't get me wrong, the man can play...but I don't like his playing in this band...

If I get a road trip or weekend by myself, I'll give it a better critical listen, and see if anything strikes me.

Er, what? This is anything but formulaic DT. And lots of notes? Maybe relative to many other bands, for DT, this is probably their least wanky album (along with Falling into Infinity) to date, especially when you consider how much material is on this (130 minutes of music). You can count on one hand the number of times they shred on this.

I agree. i'm gonna say........and some will disagree. having sat with this album for a while. this is some of the most ambitious music DT has ever made. it is anything but safe.

It is Diverse........and has some of the best pure melodies they've ever written.

It's amazing what they've done here.

Mick

As I said...it's my initial assessment, and it's been through ear buds, and incomplete. I need time with it in my car, loud and with the ability to run something back that strikes me with no difficulty. But my first impression is "eh"....

totally get that........this albums also a lot to take in.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000

Third listen...

Not doing anything for me. It lost its spark really quickly...

Can I still get a prize for at least trying to dig it?

I REALLY AM TRYING!!

Nothing is memorable... I turn it off I can't remember anything I just listened too...

• Like 2

Second listening.

Love it.

My man.

8th listen.......still amazing.

Mick

Hahaha! I am way behind you but I get it.

As you probably know, I am not a fan of Jordan Rudess. I'm a Kevin Moore guy, but Jordan's key chops are tasty on this new record. Not busy bullshit and all over the place.

I love synth but not when it comes to all of that busy all over the place stuff.

Bravo.

Please though if I see this Dream Theater tour I seriously hope he doesn't wear that stupid wizard hat. Ugh!

Signed,

"Mickey Mouse"

I mean "Mick"ey Mouse. LOL!!!

I REALLY AM TRYING!!

Nothing is memorable... I turn it off I can't remember anything I just listened too...

I'm only on my second time and I remember it already. I love that it's mellow and melodic. Not that "Brain Of Tw@t" shite. LOL!

Edited by RUSHHEAD666
  • Like 1

I REALLY AM TRYING!!

I'm only on my second time and I remember it already. I love that it's mellow and melodic. Not that "Brain Of t**t" shite. LOL!

Train Of Thought is a donkey fart.

I REALLY AM TRYING!!

no you suck and your dead to me. i have Earl now.

:laughing guy:

Mick

• Like 2

I REALLY AM TRYING!!

I'm only on my second time and I remember it already. I love that it's mellow and melodic. Not that "Brain Of t**t" shite. LOL!

As I Am, This Dying Soul and In The Name Of God is better than anything off the new album though.

• Like 3

I REALLY AM TRYING!!

no you suck and your dead to me. i have Earl now.

:laughing guy:

Mick

http://tribzap2it.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/tumblr_n1udg2qzmz1r5zq6ao7_250.gif?w=769

I REALLY AM TRYING!!

Donkey Kong Beer Bong Metallica Song Bikini Wet Thong all went wrong ping prog prong pong.

Signed,

Howie Long

• Like 1

I REALLY AM TRYING!!

As I Am, This Dying Soul and In The Name Of God is better than anything off the new album though.

Honor Thy Father ruins my desire to replay it...seriously...

I think I need to replay this record...

Nothing on the new album is sticking with me! It's like a jumble of bland DT clichés conducted by Dennis DeYoung.

Edited by Segue Myles

I REALLY AM TRYING!!

Donkey Kong Beer Bong Metallica Song Bikini Wet Thong all went wrong ping prog prong pong.

Signed,

Howie Long

This. Is. Art.

• Like 1

Looks like this album will divide the fans more than any other. I hope I have the patience one day to listen to it again.

The debut is better.

I actually really dig that album!