Official Dream Theater Thread

Tick

I haven't listened to the leak yet, and while the two singles didn't sway me over, I'm still hopeful that I'll end up liking the album. When I have time, I'll listen to it.

trust me the singles work better in the context of the album.

Mick

best Mangini era Record.

That's high praise, like best '80s era Aerosmith.

We enjoy it so what is the point?

• Like 1

Liked my first listen to the new album. Still too early to give any details though. Some parts sound like Dream Theater meets Savatage. I've got no problem with that.

I heard a lot of Ayreon as well.

Yeah, this is pretty awesome.

I love how different it is. A lot of the songs are like snippets, which takes a bit to get used to.

You really need to listen to the whole thing all at once. A perfect album for long drives, no doubt!

• Like 1

I'll level. is the drum sound all it could have......no.......but IMHO. It's way better then the last 2.

putting the freakin' drums aside. i believe this is some of the best work they've done. Sure there are a llot of short link songs but it is a story. now normally i hate concept albums.

but this is done in more of the rock oper/jesus christ Superstar vein and......hello Theater guy here, lol

and they do it it pretty masterfully.

so i'll be over here loving it. The hater corner is to your right.

leave me be, lol

Mick

• Like 3

I'll level. is the drum sound all it could have......no.......but IMHO. It's way better then the last 2.

putting the freakin' drums aside. i believe this is some of the best work they've done. Sure there are a llot of short link songs but it is a story. now normally i hate concept albums.

but this is done in more of the rock oper/jesus christ Superstar vein and......hello Theater guy here, lol

and they do it it pretty masterfully.

so i'll be over here loving it. The hater corner is to your right.

leave me be, lol

Mick

I agree!

I really like it (I am too tired to concentrate on it today but I plan to play it again soon, especially the second disc!).

The most I can handle today is King's X. Otherwise, I am pretty much only in the mood for Garth Brooks and Shania Twain.

• Like 1

Oh and Jordan went back and used the awesome distorted-sounding leads and left the circus behind this time!!
  • Like 1

I probably came close to finishing disc 1. Can't bring myself to even bother with a whole 'nother disc of this. Maybe out of curiosity in a few years when I run out of better material I'm still absorbing (and enjoying).

This is the first DT album since I started listening 1991/92 that I couldn't finish. Most get at least a dozen listens, some still get played for their hundredth+ time to this day (thinking of Awake and SFaM). Oh well, glad someone's enjoying it.

best Mangini era Record.

If people get to rail on about how great they think it is (fanboys?), those of us barely able to hold down our lunch when listening should be represented.

• Like 1

best Mangini era Record.

If people get to rail on about how great they think it is (fanboys?), those of us barely able to hold down our lunch when listening should be represented.

Agreed.

I so far really like it.

Friday is the day I get my partial shipment of the ultra deluxe box set I purchased from Roadrunner (The Full Monty with Vinyl etc). So I am very much looking forward to some new DT.

Scenes From A Memory PT2 is my all time fav so I am sure this is right in my wheelhouse.

They better have some or a Florida date this go around or I will be quite pissed off!!!

Edited by Todem
  • Like 1

Well, I've listened to Disc 1 a couple of times, and it's not good. Most of the tracks are the same tempo and the album just kinda floats along with this soft, gentle aura of a sound. It's just bland. The heavier parts are also the same tempo for the most part. Constant staccato riffs that just bring the songs nowhere. You finally get a break from the monotonous with songs like Three Days or A New Beginning (which is my favourite song thus far). It's just really disappointing.

Hopefully Disc 2 will be better, but Disc 1 is just so drawn out and dull. I can see why people would like it if they like that softer side of things, but I don't really want constant balladry. You have songs like When Your Time Has Come/Act Of Faythe that bleed into each other, feeling like a 9-minute ballad.

I'll listen to it again later to see if it resonates a little more with me. I do like some good ballads, but this is a tremendous amount of overkill for me.

• Like 2