Official Dream Theater Thread

Tick

Post "it's your loss" below if you want, but I have ZERO drive to follow The Astonishing's storyline. And judging by the tracks shown so far, musically it's exactly the same as their previous album, with an even worse drum sound.

Sorry Rod but nothing's worse then the self titled drum sound. much as i love thatt record. I think the Astonishing's drum sound is an upgrade.

That's just me though.

Mick

I love the self titled but yes, the drum production on that album is poor. It wasn't nearly as bad on ADToE.

Didn't Bother me as much as the Self Titled. Actually Images is pretty bad to. Cheesy triggers. but i love it anyway, lol

Mick

Sometimes i'm glad i'm not a musician. I have no clue what this drum sound issue is and it doesn't bother me at all.

It isn't a matter of musicality, just a matter of audio quality. When I hear the drums on the self titled I think of the drums on Vapor Trails before it was remastered. It sounds fine on ADToE, but it just seems way too compressed on the self titled.

Wow, I thought for sure they would throw a few old tunes in at the end. I hope the album is really good otherwise there can be a lot of upset fans after the shows. I do applaud the band's boldness in doing the new album and nothing else though.

This will either be great or a disaster depending on how the album is received.

Wow. Very bold move, but it's a very good thing I didn't buy tickets to the show yet. If the album falls flat to a majority of the fan's expectations it can lead to collateral damage in the already broken base of DT fans depending on how bad the album's reception is with them.

Sometimes i'm glad i'm not a musician. I have no clue what this drum sound issue is and it doesn't bother me at all.

It isn't a matter of musicality, just a matter of audio quality. When I hear the drums on the self titled I think of the drums on Vapor Trails before it was remastered. It sounds fine on ADToE, but it just seems way too compressed on the self titled.

I don't even know what people mean when they say audio is too compressed. I've never had a problem with the drums on Vapor Trails. If the songs as a whole sound good to me, that's all I care about.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 1

I don't even know what people mean when they say audio is too compressed. I've never had a problem with the drums on Vapor Trails. If the songs as a whole sound good to me, that's all I care about.

Overall I agree, but two exceptions for me are Change Of Seasons and St. Anger.

O my, bad drum sounds abound!

• Like 1

Overall I agree, but two exceptions for me are Change Of Seasons and St. Anger.

O my, bad drum sounds abound!

Yeah but even the snare on ACoS blows this new Mangini snare away :(

• Like 1

I honestly think the 3 worse Drum sounds they've ever had are

Images And Words (Still enjoy this one though)

A Change of Seasons

Dream Theater.

so don't act like it wasn't there back in the day too, lol

Mick

Yeah but those songs are so good it didn't even matter :D

• Like 1

A Change of Seasons

Dream Theater.

Mick

Agreed. i also can overlook DT......cause i love the materiel.

and honestly......the Astonishing's drum sound is an improvment to me. don't really get the fuss there. What i DO think is this new album's gonna disappoint us all.

Mick

• Like 1

A Change of Seasons

Dream Theater.

Mick

and honestly......the Astonishing's drum sound is an improvment to me. don't really get the fuss there. What i DO think is this new album's gonna disappoint us all.

Mick

I have really low expectations now. The bits and pieces that we have heard were generic, and the concept is overblown nonsense.

I hope it proves me wrong, but it doesn't seem likely!

• Like 1

A Change of Seasons

Dream Theater.

Mick

Mick

I have really low expectations now. The bits and pieces that we have heard were generic, and the concept is overblown nonsense.

I hope it proves me wrong, but it doesn't seem likely!

oh trust me i'm gonna buy anything they put out.....i'm a life-er. but man oh man what i've heard is boring me to death.

but hold on.....i've learned from music that low expectations are the best ones to have......truly.

Mick

• Like 2

OK just replayed Gift Of Music.

The drums sound like a drum machine.

It's pretty rubbish, but then again maybe in context this song will sound great.

Honestly I think the idea of the concept album is crap and i've never liked it from anybody so the story is the least of my worries here

If i want a story i'll read a novel thank you.

Mick

Big exceptions for me:

Scenes From A Memory

Jeff Wayne's Musical Version Of The War Of The Worlds

Well , this crew does not seem optimistic lol

In other news i listened/ watched part of my dark side of the moon official bootleg. I found it enjoyable. When i get some time im gonna try and rip the audio for just listening

Well , this crew does not seem optimistic lol

I'm cautiously optimistic. A concept album that is over two hours can just be too long for it's own good. Scenes is only 75 mins or so and an album like The Wall for example is only 80 mins. Those albums were kept at a manageable timeframe for the concept to work. I just have a feeling that the albums excessive length could end up being it's downfall. Especially playing it all live.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 1

OK just replayed Gift Of Music.

The drums sound like a drum machine.

It's pretty rubbish, but then again maybe in context this song will sound great.

More like a modernized version of the Images and Words drum trigger sound.

I listened to the new song released today. Predictable, regurgitating, and samey is what I'd describe it. And I'll just leave it at that.

• Like 1

So people have the new Dream Theater album before me again?? :smash:

Not here. Album doesn't come out until next week. Not aware of any leak yet.

I dont really seek out leaks but it always amaze how some leak and others never due

So people have the new Dream Theater album before me again?? :smash:

Not here. Album doesn't come out until next week. Not aware of any leak yet.

I dont really seek out leaks but it always amaze how some leak and others never due

Unless it's some really obscure band, every album leaks early now. The record labels make sure they always do.

I woke up with Peruvian Skies playing in my head for some reason. So I had to listen to it...first time in ages. Had to chase it with some Hell's Kitchen/Lines in the Sand.

Who else loves Falling into Infinity?

• Like 1