Official Dream Theater Thread

Tick

QUOTE (Dreamline @ Dec 9 2005, 09:24 AM)
QUOTE (tick @ Dec 9 2005, 02:24 PM)
dreamline what the f**k are you talking about!!!!

Did you click the links Indica provided? Some crzy sh*t there - that's what I'm talking about

What does that have to do with Dream Theatre?

QUOTE (Dreamline @ Dec 9 2005, 11:24 AM)
QUOTE (tick @ Dec 9 2005, 02:24 PM)
dreamline what the f**k are you talking about!!!!

Did you click the links Indica provided? Some crzy sh*t there - that's what I'm talking about

It just goes to show you that you will find some freaky stuff on the internet.

The thing I've noticed about a lot of Dream Theatre fans is that they have the mindset that if you're a Rush fan then you have to be a DT fan. With my case, I used to like DT; not to the point that I would consider myself a fan of theirs, but I did at one point like them. This was also around the time I was heavily getting into Rush. One of the reasons that I liked DT at the time was because of the huge influence Rush had on them, and that they are great musicians.

Now, I've listened to DT's entire catalogue, with the exception of Octivarium which I really don't care to hear. What drew me away from DT was that it seems like they can't write a song that's over 10 minutes long without having some over-extended solo in it as well as their music lacking one important factor. Soul. When I listen to DT now, I hear technical musicians who seem to be playing only to show off and say "hey, look how good I am" instead of playing for the passion of making music.

Another thing that I've noticed about a lot of DT fans is that whenever people express their opinion on DT and if it's negative, they cry and pout because they can't come to terms with the fact that somebody doesn't like Dream Theater (especially if that person is a Rush fan). Hell, I remember when me and a few other people previously expressed our opinions on DT here, some crybaby posted a link to that thread on the Mike Portnoy board and everybody there that read it went into a hissy fit and couldn't bear the thought that somebody didn't like their precious DT. The sad thing was, none of those members registered on here to defend DT, but rather just spewed insult after insult at this board.

Somebody also once said on here that there's more bands deserving of our "hate." True, but I don't see anybody starting up topics praising those bands. The day that somebody does, I'll express my opinion on them too.

Edited by kazzman

kaz i understand your points,and i started this thread just for the banter.i do like these guys and i hear your point of view that they are just showing off,they are.is there music groundbreaking,some times yes sometimes no,but i really enjoy it ,thats what its all about,no? however i do consider scenes from a memory a special album.i have never seen them live but i look forward to it. however they are just one of many bands i love,and if you dont like them,oh well. Edited by tick

QUOTE (kazzman @ Dec 9 2005, 06:56 PM)
Another thing that I've noticed about a lot of DT fans is that whenever people express their opinion on DT and if it's negative, they cry and pout because they can't come to terms with the fact that somebody doesn't like Dream Theater

The same goes for many Rush fans - so what?

QUOTE (Moonraker @ Dec 9 2005, 04:29 PM)

The same crazy sh*t goes on in the DT forums and usenet newsgroups. The same cretin is obviously a fan of both bands and crosses over.

THAT is what it has to do with DT but obviously I didn't make that clear. Someone just had to be rude about it instead

QUOTE (Dreamline @ Dec 9 2005, 01:40 PM)
QUOTE (Moonraker @ Dec 9 2005, 04:29 PM)

The same crazy sh*t goes on in the DT forums and usenet newsgroups. The same cretin is obviously a fan of both bands and crosses over.

THAT is what it has to do with DT but obviously I didn't make that clear. Someone just had to be rude about it instead

He was just asking a question...settle down...

QUOTE (kazzman @ Dec 9 2005, 01:56 PM)

Somebody also once said on here that there's more bands deserving of our "hate." True, but I don't see anybody starting up topics praising those bands.

ohmy.gif scared.gif scared.gif

smile.gif

I'm with Kazz and Moon on this one. I'm not at all denying that DT are technically proficient musicians, I just think they are extremely boring and their songs go on way too long with needless soloing and such. I have listened to teir entire discography many times, and I cannot gather anything that resembles emotion or soul out of their music. Some highly educated musicians using their music as a forum to show off their technical skills instead of making music that says something. Portnoy annoys me to no end, comparing himself to Neil Peart in every interview. And James LeBrie seems to have no voice of his own. Listen to the Change of Seasons live album. They do Bohemian Rhapsody and he sounds EXACTLY like Freddie Mercury. They do a Zeppelin medley and he sounds EXACTLY like Robert Plant. They do Genesis/Journey/whatever and he sounds EXACTLY like Phil Collins, Steve perry, etc. And they play these songs exactly like the originals. Sure, it's impressive that they can recreate those, but what makes a cover great is when they make it somehow their own, and Dream Theater fails to do that, instead recreating what has already been done exactly. As for their originals, it all strikes me as prog-metal-by-numbers with 10 minute solos that never go anywhere and using everything as an excuse to show off even more. As Kazz said, when Rush fans start loving a different terrible band, we will start bashing them instead of DT. But for now, this is what we have.

dam,i wouldnt listen a groups albums over and over if i didnt like them. wacko.gif

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Dec 9 2005, 06:53 PM)
I'm with Kazz and Moon on this one. I'm not at all denying that DT are technically proficient musicians, I just think they are extremely boring and their songs go on way too long with needless soloing and such. I have listened to teir entire discography many times, and I cannot gather anything that resembles emotion or soul out of their music. Some highly educated musicians using their music as a forum to show off their technical skills instead of making music that says something. Portnoy annoys me to no end, comparing himself to Neil Peart in every interview. And James LeBrie seems to have no voice of his own. Listen to the Change of Seasons live album. They do Bohemian Rhapsody and he sounds EXACTLY like Freddie Mercury. They do a Zeppelin medley and he sounds EXACTLY like Robert Plant. They do Genesis/Journey/whatever and he sounds EXACTLY like Phil Collins, Steve perry, etc. And they play these songs exactly like the originals. Sure, it's impressive that they can recreate those, but what makes a cover great is when they make it somehow their own, and Dream Theater fails to do that, instead recreating what has already been done exactly. As for their originals, it all strikes me as prog-metal-by-numbers with 10 minute solos that never go anywhere and using everything as an excuse to show off even more. As Kazz said, when Rush fans start loving a different terrible band, we will start bashing them instead of DT. But for now, this is what we have.

Dude, do you hate these guys so much you have to copy and paste your own BS. Hows about a little fresh insight into how much these guys suck.

As you said and can be found on this site back in July:

Jul 8 2005, 11:33 PM

Report Post Quote Post

Prime Mover

Group: Members *

Member No.: 64

I've said this a million times, but this is turning into another DT bashing thread, so I'll have another go...to me, DT seems like they want to BE Rush...especially Portnoy. And they WOULD be a good fourth-rate tribute band, if the only albums Rush had ever made were 2112 and Hemispheres...DT basically focuses on the 20-minute-epic/odd-time-time signature aspect of prog rock, but none of the innovations, or the creativity. The genre is called "PROGRESSIVE" rock MEANING evolution or forward movement, and DT stiffly and expertly recreates things that other people have already done. Kazz is right....DT is really a band of Yngwie Malmsteens, just soloing all the time for the sake of showing off.

LeBrie...on their Change of Seasons live album, he really proves my point of him having no voice of his own. They do a Zeppelin medley, and he sounds EXACTLY like Robert Plant. They do Bohemian Rhapsody, and he sounds EXACTLY like Freddie Mercury. They do Journey, Genesis, etc. and he sounds EXACTLY like Steve Perry/Phil Collins/whoever. HE HAS NO VOICE OF HIS OWN. HIS voice? Generic, insipid operatic-metal voice...worse than Ronnie James Dio, if that's possible.

QUOTE (tick @ Dec 9 2005, 04:57 PM)
dam,i wouldnt listen a groups albums over and over if i didnt like them. wacko.gif

What did you expect?laugh.gif Puppet was born to be a Music critic! wink.gif

Next Cameron Crowe in my opinion biggrin.gif

Just goes to show he has an openmind..which is great to see trink39.gif

QUOTE (tangdog @ Dec 9 2005, 05:12 PM)

Dude, do you hate these guys so much you have to copy and paste your own BS. Hows about a little fresh insight into how much these guys suck.

Report Post Quote Post

Prime Mover

I've said this a million times, but this is turning into another DT bashing thread, so I'll have another go...to me, DT seems like they want to BE Rush...especially Portnoy. And they WOULD be a good fourth-rate tribute band, if the only albums Rush had ever made were 2112 and Hemispheres...DT basically focuses on the 20-minute-epic/odd-time-time signature aspect of prog rock, but none of the innovations, or the creativity. The genre is called "PROGRESSIVE" rock MEANING evolution or forward movement, and DT stiffly and expertly recreates things that other people have already done. Kazz is right....DT is really a band of Yngwie Malmsteens, just soloing all the time for the sake of showing off.

LeBrie...on their Change of Seasons live album, he really proves my point of him having no voice of his own. They do a Zeppelin medley, and he sounds EXACTLY like Robert Plant. They do Bohemian Rhapsody, and he sounds EXACTLY like Freddie Mercury. They do Journey, Genesis, etc. and he sounds EXACTLY like Steve Perry/Phil Collins/whoever. HE HAS NO VOICE OF HIS OWN. HIS voice? Generic, insipid operatic-metal voice...worse than Ronnie James Dio, if that's possible.

They wanted a thread about DT with no (if not limited) bashing and yet you start poking at it...wacko.gif

If you want to start bashing...why don't you revisit the other threads?

and I thought that maybe JUST maybe this thread would turn out to be ok...

But it's funner with more drama and people bickering at each other. All good threads would be boring.

laugh.gif

I'm just joking. Or am I?

QUOTE (Indica @ Dec 9 2005, 07:54 PM)
But it's funner with more drama and people bickering at each other. All good threads would be boring.

laugh.gif

I'm just joking. Or am I?

laugh.gif

Edited to say....

Indy your cool! 1022.gif

Edited by D-13

I personally LOVE Dream Theater, but what I think is funny is that a while back, I started a Green Day thread, that didnt even get HALF as much bashing, than I have seen on DT threads...which to ME is VERY VERY odd! confused13.gif LOL. But, oh well.. sarcasm.gif Edited by ALifeson85

QUOTE (tangdog @ Dec 9 2005, 07:12 PM)

Report Post Quote Post

Prime Mover

Are you really that sensitive that you have call a decent argument which nobody's been able to refute BS?

QUOTE (tick @ Dec 9 2005, 03:57 PM)

Sometimes albums grow on you after a while. I didn't get Radiohead for three years until like a month ago, and now they're one of my favorite bands. I tried with DT, and I just couldn't get anything out of it.

QUOTE (D-13 @ Dec 9 2005, 10:16 PM)

He was just asking a question...settle down...

When someone poses a question as "dreamline what the f**k are you talking about!!!! " I guess I just get kinda twitchy. Maybe it's not me that needs to "settle down" sad.gif

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Dec 9 2005, 11:53 PM)
And they play these songs exactly like the originals. Sure, it's impressive that they can recreate those, but what makes a cover great is when they make it somehow their own, and Dream Theater fails to do that, instead recreating what has already been done exactly.

Someone hasn't listened to Change of Seasons as closely as they claim.

It's well known amongst Deep Purple fans that the song Perfect Strangers is about the only Blackmore-era tune that doesn't really feature a guitar solo - yet on the DT cover there is an extended solo from John Petrucci.

Exactly like the original? I don't think so.