Official Dream Theater Thread

Tick

well i just want to hear the feed back on this one.i love this band,even though ive only been a fan about 8 months,believe it or not.i recently found out here that alot of neil fans dont like portnoy,well i do.the guy can play,and ya know what he has nothing to do with neil,neil is the master ,always was,always will be!people say dream theater steals from everyone,i dont care they rock! lastly scenes from a memory is one of the greatest albums of its kind ever written.plain and simple dream theater is an awesome band! 1022.gif Edited by Moonraker

without a dought,start with scences from a memory,then go on to images and words,then talk to me and well go from there. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I too don't understand this hatred between most DT and Rush fans. I've wanted to see a discussion about DT on here since I joined but after doing a little searching I decided to back off. Seems the hatred can be as strong here as anywhere else. alt.music.rush v. alt.music.dream-theater sums it up perfectly.

I personally find it hard to compare them - I love them both for different reasons.

I'm not a Portnoy fan - Neil would wipe the floor with him every time - Portnoy is just a Peart-wannabe

Petrucci v. Lerxt? Too different to compare. I'd venture to suggest that Petrucci is a better soloist - but Alex has his strengths too so I won't judge on that one.

Myung v. Ged? hard to separate technically. Ged wins by a mile in personality and stage presence though.

Singers? Not a fan of La Brie myself - but then many people are put off by Ged's singing too (not me) .. .so hard to judge that one too.

Where DT do come out on top is Jordan Rudess. That guy is a genius - but as he has no counterpart (pun intended) in Rush, againi its not a calid comparison.

I would agree though that Scenes From A Memory is the nearest thing to 80 minutes of musical perfection I've ever heard (unless I played La Villa over and over again tongue.gif ) .. also newcomers to DT should check out the latest CD, Octavarium

OH NOOOOOOOOO, Not this again!!!

I like D.T. and think they are very talented but there has to be another group for people to bash up on at TRF!!!!!!!!!!! To make it interesting make sure it's a band that 1/4 of the people like and the rest hate. If not it won't be any fun.

wacko.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Dec 8 2005, 12:25 PM)
DT gets bashed on EVERY Rush board, not just this one.

Because it's probably all the same people. laugh.gif

I still don't understand what the problem is here? I started listening to DT (and all prog-rock) BECAUSE of Rush. DT is a rock musicians band, and I hardly know any rock musicians that don't think they are great at what they do. Rush is a musicians band also but happened to get radio play, thus making them more appealing to the masses (plus they write music that most people understand and can listen to easily).

I personally think this is the problem: Some people on this forum are so 'Peart-Peart-Peart/Rush-Rush-Rush is God' and can't get it through their heads that there are other great bands and players out there that WE like too! Ooohhh, let's not let anyone intrude on our sacred band Rush because of course, they are the only band and have the 3 greatest players of all-time!

Blah frickin' Blah!!!! Get real and feel free to talk about Any band or musician you like...BUT Please Don't put down something/someone just because you feel threatened or feel they have invaded your sacred musical grounds. There is plenty of room for all of us!!

I love Rush but there are other bands too, that 'Others' like as well.

With that said....... sleep tight! wink.gif

Edited by launchpad67a

I don't understand either. I mean, why do Rush fans of all people pick Dream Theater of all bands to bash over and over? I mean, I can think of a lot worse bands to bash. The same bands that a lot of people seem to worship here. In most cases I don't say anything bad about those bands, sometimes I can't hold back though. laugh.gif

The bottom line is, there are a LOT of worse bands to rant on and on about and say how horrible they are. My first thoughts when I heard DT for the first time is that they are awesome musicians. That's more than I can say about a lot of the crap these very same people seem to worship. I don't get it. confused13.gif

I don't get it either. DT are students of Rush, and are FANTASTIC songwriters/musicians.

I'm much wiser now

A lifetime of memories

Run though my head

They taught me how

For better or worse

Alive or dead

I realize

There's no turning back

Life goes on

The offbeaten track

QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Dec 8 2005, 11:02 AM)
I still don't understand what the problem is here? I started listening to DT (and all prog-rock) BECAUSE of Rush. DT is a rock musicians band, and I hardly know any rock musicians that don't think they are great at what they do. Rush is a musicians band also but happened to get radio play, thus making them more appealing to the masses (plus they write music that most people understand and can listen to easily).

I personally think this is the problem: Some people on this forum are so 'Peart-Peart-Peart/Rush-Rush-Rush is God' and can't get it through their heads that there are other great bands and players out there that WE like too! Ooohhh, let's not let anyone intrude on our sacred band Rush because of course, they are the only band and have the 3 greatest players of all-time!
Blah frickin' Blah!!!! Get real and feel free to talk about Any band or musician you like...BUT Please Don't put down something/someone just because you feel threatened or feel they have invaded your sacred musical grounds. There is plenty of room for all of us!!

I love Rush but there are other bands too, that 'Others' like as well.

With that said....... sleep tight! wink.gif

goodpost.gif Thank you Launch and Indy. Good words biggrin.gif goodpost.gif

Heh, another Dream Theatre thread.... ok.

I have bashed them before, and it has nothing to do with thier similarities to Rush. In fact, the first DT recording I ever heard were some live bootlegs of them doing Rush songs, and I thought they did a rather good job at it. The problem I have with DT really came from when I saw thier live performance. The music they were churning sounded ok, but you could see by the band members body language that they looked like they didnt want to be anywhere near that stage that night. I recall the singer simply walking around the stage in the same manner that you would expect someone to walk around if they were waiting at a bus stop. The only member that really seemed into the music was the keyboard player. That made it fairly difficult to get anything out of the music.

Then there was one point in the show that they gave a 3 minute intro to one of their songs, I could have sworn that was the intro to Xanadu and that we were all going to get a major treat for a Rush cover that night. But I was wrong, they went into something else, which was kind of a disappointment. Why give the intro to one thing and make everyone expect one thing to come up, and then play something else entirely?

And as much as I have tried, I cant derive any emotional meaning out of thier music, which is what really turns me on about some progressive music. The way that not only are the band members accomplished musicians, but they still have the ability to strike your soul. The only impression I got from DT is that they were a band full of Joe Satriani's or Yngwie Malmsteen's.

---

Sorry to be the basher here, but I have valid reason why I am not a DT fan. The reason why there are so many people bashing this band on this forum is because as a Rush fan, you get told by DT fans that you are SUPPOSED to like them, because they are so similar. It's almost a given that any DT fan is a Rush fan, but the majorit of DT fans that I have met think it should be the other way around as well, I dont buy into that.

Also, if you are a good drummer, have some modesty. Peart doesnt walk around comparing himself to Buddy Rich, what makes Portnoy feel he should be the one comparing himself to Peart?

• Like 1

In my experience, the vast majority of avid and venomous DT bashers are relative newbies to Rush. Not sure why, but there seems to be a correlation there.

Are there any folks out there that have seen Rush in concert in excess of 10

times and think DT sucks? How about 5 times? Just want to test my theory.

I've been a Rush fan for 5 years, seen em 5 times in concert. I dont consider myself a newbie to them anymore as I have had enough time being into them to not only aquire all thier albums, but learn 90% of thier songs on bass guitar. It may not be as long as the fan that has been into them since 2112, but I wasnt alive long enough to have that.

QUOTE (Moonraker @ Dec 8 2005, 02:52 PM)

Sorry to be the basher here, but I have valid reason why I am not a DT fan.  The reason why there are so many people bashing this band on this forum is because as a Rush fan, you get told by DT fans that you are SUPPOSED to like them, because they are so similar.  It's almost a given that any DT fan is a Rush fan, but the majorit of DT fans that I have met think it should be the other way around as well, I dont buy into that.

OK, I guess right there is the answer to why so many people bash them when there are a lot worse groups to bash......... It's a personal thing between a small amount of DT fans and a small amount of very vocal Rush fans. It don't seem to have much to do with the music itself at all. Thanks for answering my question, now I understand much better.

Edited by Indica

Can anyone tell me why Virginia Newbon (who??) appears on so many usenet music boards and internet forums in relation to Rush?

No - put your troll emoticons away. I really want to know. I suspect whatever the deep dark secret is, makes much sense to US/canucks - it makes no sense whatsoever to this Brit.

QUOTE (Dreamline @ Dec 8 2005, 04:47 PM)
Can anyone tell me why Virginia Newbon (who??) appears on so many usenet music boards and internet forums in relation to Rush?

No - put your troll emoticons away. I really want to know. I suspect whatever the deep dark secret is, makes much sense to US/canucks - it makes no sense whatsoever to this Brit.

What is this website all about?

Virginia Newbon

Edited by Indica

QUOTE (Dreamline @ Dec 8 2005, 04:47 PM)

I did a search and used that name and this is the first website I found and it talks about Rush.

WHAT THE H E DOUBLE L?

Edited by Indica

first off well said indy,i started this thread cause i dont get it,with all the s**t music being made why knock dream theater?look let me tell you theres probably not that many fans here that go back to the 70s,i do so i love rush,but one has nothing to do with the other.to anyone who thinks portnoy is not a great drummer,your either bitter or clueless.i love many great bands,theres just something about the way some rush fans feel about dream theater that bothers me. moon.gif Edited by tick

My opinion on DT has nothing to do with me being 2.gif fan or a fan of any band but solely based on me seeing them live last year and listening to some of their albums and frankly I found them boring and not my cup of tea....If DT fans can't accept that than so be it....each to their own.

Indica - the two sites you found are exactly the sort of stuff I was talking about. Both mention an internet nick LIBERATOR. I was hoping someone here would know the story and could explain it to me (and not to you too). Weird sh*t huh?