Official Dream Theater Thread

Tick

Space Dye Vest was never played because the band thought it was Kevin Moore's "baby", and thought it had too many personal issues addressed in the song lyrics as well. But when Portnoy left the band, James and Jordan did a show where they played it - can't remember where or when.

Space Dye Vest was never played because the band thought it was Kevin Moore's "baby", and thought it had too many personal issues addressed in the song lyrics as well. But when Portnoy left the band, James and Jordan did a show where they played it - can't remember where or when.

That makes sense but that never stopped them from playing 6:00 after Moore left. Didn't he write that song about his decision to leave Dream Theater? That's what I remember hearing about the song. I don't think Space Dye Vest would be hard song to pull off live. The song isn't hard to sing and it can give James voice a bit of a rest since it doesn't involve him having to hit any higher notes.

I may be wrong, but I seem to remember Petrucci saying they will bring out "some songs" that were never played live. To me this means more than one, right?

I'd be REALLY happy if they played more obscure stuff from Awake.

I could see them doing Lifting Shadows, Scarred, and SDV from Awake but everything else off that album has been done pretty recently, so i'd hope they don't waste too much time. I'm not big on these random anniversaries for every single album. I'm also hoping they do some of the lesser played songs from the FII era like You Not/Or Me, Take Away My Pain, Anna Lee, Speak To Me, Where Are You Now, and The Way It Used To Be. I'm just hoping they avoid the two from Black Clouds as they are just too MP influenced (and not very good).

That makes sense but that never stopped them from playing 6:00 after Moore left. Didn't he write that song about his decision to leave Dream Theater? That's what I remember hearing about the song. I don't think Space Dye Vest would be hard song to pull off live. The song isn't hard to sing and it can give James voice a bit of a rest since it doesn't involve him having to hit any higher notes.

SDV was entirely written by Kevin Moore. All the music and lyrics. 6:00 was probably a full band composition that he wrote lyrics for. Big difference. The band probably never felt like SDV was one of their songs

I just want to see a South Florida date emerge soon. I want to take my son (9 years old in March) to his first DT show. He loves them. He has seen Rush 3 times and Kiss 2 times. He now wants to see DT and Muse......like yesterday!

Really looking forward to the tour. I am sure they will hit our neck of the woods on the second leg.

The live christmas present from Dream Theater is pretty cool. You don't see too many bands doing stuff like that. Overall, it's another good live recording except for Under A Glass Moon. Vocally, James was all over the place and just hitting the strangest notes. Everything else was fine but his performance on that song definitely felt off to me. It's sounds like he was trying too hard and just failed miserably pulling off the song.

I thought Under A Glass Moon was a good performance but I do agree that it wasn't the best vocally (Score is still the best). I think that first high note on "Praying for time to disappear" threw me off completely and when that part came up again later in the song, I had anticipated he would do it again and he did. They had the entire tour recorded and I'm pretty sure there was a better performance of the song than the one they chose. I bet James decided to include the song from that night just because he thought that thing he did with the high vocals was cool in all.

The live christmas present from Dream Theater is pretty cool. You don't see too many bands doing stuff like that. Overall, it's another good live recording except for Under A Glass Moon. Vocally, James was all over the place and just hitting the strangest notes. Everything else was fine but his performance on that song definitely felt off to me. It's sounds like he was trying too hard and just failed miserably pulling off the song.

I thought Under A Glass Moon was a good performance but I do agree that it wasn't the best vocally (Score is still the best). I think that first high note on "Praying for time to disappear" threw me off completely and when that part came up again later in the song, I had anticipated he would do it again and he did. They had the entire tour recorded and I'm pretty sure there was a better performance of the song than the one they chose. I bet James decided to include the song from that night just because he thought that thing he did with the high vocals was cool in all.

James USED to be able to hit certain notes before he had the vocal chords ruptured, but he just can´t anymore, or at least feels much less confident to hit these notes. This one on Under a Glass Moon is a perfect example. Nowadays, he does this raspy thing like he does here - "praying for TIIIIIME to disappear", because it´s more comfortable for him, but it´s a horrible choice, at least for me. He did it right on the Score version though...

And for those of you still wondering why so many people still wish Portnoy would com back, just listen to Ytse Jam on this release...Mangini plays everything note-perfect here, but where´s the pressure? Where are the in-you-face drums we were treated with, from their first album up to Black Clouds & Silver Linings? I know Portnoy decided to leave the band and made a fool of himself on a bunch of statements which have been fully dissected and criticized by now, and really like DT12...but to me it still feels like something is missing. Look at other threads here where people refer to Ozzy-era Sabbath and Roth-era Van Halen: those guys were not perfect and had suitable replacements, but gave a different character and charisma that nobody else coudl duplicate.

Agree about Portnoy. I miss him dearly. Mike (Mangini) is a brilliant drummer. But the force, energy and passion of Mikes playing is such a huge part of DT's sound...but more importantly their soul.

I think one day.......he will be back in the band he helped form. I truly believe that. Maybe I am wrong....but these things usually work themselves out. Petrucci and he are musical soul mates, brothers from another mother.

Anyway......can't wait to see the new stuff live.

Edited by Todem

whoa whoa whoa, the best under a glass moon version is on i&w live in japan

whoa whoa whoa, the best under a glass moon version is on i&w live in japan

I was going by official live audio releases only (f**k there's currently only two with UAGM), but if we took their live DVDs also in account then yes you are right that I&W: Live in Tokyo is the best. This wasn't released on an actual album; it was an outtake from Live at Marquee, but this was also a great performance of UAGM.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPsugpUinx0

Edited by PolarizeMe

I think it's safe to say that Score was James' best live recorded vocal performance. No?

I think he´s even better in Live At Luna Park. But hey, there are a lot of touch-ups on both releases...

I think it's safe to say that Score was James' best live recorded vocal performance. No?

I think he´s even better in Live At Luna Park. But hey, there are a lot of touch-ups on both releases...

Luna Park is heavily over-dubbed.

• Like 1

It's fuckking pricey too if you want a CD version.

James USED to be able to hit certain notes before he had the vocal chords ruptured, but he just can´t anymore, or at least feels much less confident to hit these notes. This one on Under a Glass Moon is a perfect example. Nowadays, he does this raspy thing like he does here - "praying for TIIIIIME to disappear", because it´s more comfortable for him, but it´s a horrible choice, at least for me. He did it right on the Score version though...

He should have kept away from seafood...

I been in to Dream Theater a good number of years. I started again for this thread. Anyway...I enjoy them a lot. My fav albums are.

Awake.

Images and Words

Metropolis Pt II

The 2nd disc of Inner Turbulence.

Dramatic turn Of Events.

While they certain are great. The downside is they have a tendency.....Especially in their later albums with Portnoy to just meander and plod. Like I didn't enjoy Train of Thought, Systematic Chaos or Black Holes and Silver Linings AT ALL. Because they just go on and on and on. Almost directionless. But I tell you when they do things right it's wonderful. I've yet to pick up the new one. I really should.

Mick

Here's a new DT Interview that might be of some interest. Petrucci confirms that Illumination Theory will be the song to close the set and plan to shoot a DVD for this tour. And also, they've already began discussing the plans for album #13

http://www.billboard...for-album-no-13

Edited by PolarizeMe

Boston show to be a "one of a kind" show. It will also be recorded for a live album (possibly BluRay/DVD as well)...

DREAM THEATER

--GRAMMY-NOMINATED PROGRESSIVE METAL TITANS--

INVITE THE ESTEEMED BERKLEE COLLEGE OF MUSIC

TO JOIN THEM FOR A ONE-OF-A-KIND SHOW

AT THE BOSTON OPERA HOUSE ON TUESDAY, MARCH 25, 2014

THIS EVENT WILL BE RECORDED FOR RELEASE AND IS PART OF THE BAND’S “ALONG FOR THE RIDE” NORTH AMERICAN TOUR LAUNCHING MARCH 20 IN SUPPORT OF THEIR

NEW SELF-TITLED ALBUM

TICKETS ARE AVAILABLE HERE:HTTP://TINYURL.COM/N2FWVDX

It's fuckking pricey too if you want a CD version.

I'm waiting for the box set to come down in price. f**k knows I have enough DT live sets to keep me going til then.