Official Dream Theater Thread

Tick

I too thought abort Rush references at first listen. The album oozes with Rush references. I never warmed much to adtoe but this I feel will stand the sands of time much better!

I am 100% sure that the symphonic part in illumination theory are nicked from some film music. It sounds so familiar. I am thinking sailboats etc.

Got my Deluxe version last night from Amazon.

On my first listen....I am on Behind The Veil for my drive home.

So far....good stuff. Always takes me 2-3 good front to back listens before I can give a true impression. With DT....there is a lot to digest. It is a typical DT album so far....nothing ground breaking....but it does not need to be at this point.

I am one who throughly enjoyed ADTOE. Loved the album.

Really looking forward to taking my son (who will be 9 by the time they come down to us next year) to his first DT show. He has been to 3 Rush concerts and 2 Kiss concerts already. So he is thirsting for a new live rock concert experience. He really enjoys the band a lot.

The Looking Glass stuck right out to me as a killer track.

Full impressions later this week.

Edited by Todem

Does anyone get the impression that the lyrics to "The Looking Glass" are about Mike Portnoy?

Absolutely. They sound like a proper band instead of a vaudeville act now that cock has gone.

Hey, show some respect for the guy.

Ok sorry.

They sound like a proper band instead of a vaudeville act now that Mr Cock has gone.

Not crazy about Mike Mangini's snare sound on this record. Sonically everything sounds really nice....but I am not feeling this approach to his snare sound....it's not an album killer....but it sounds like a muted tom....not a snare.

On my full second listen (doing half on my way to work...the other half on my way home). So another one tomorrow and I can assess it song by song.

But so far...I am enjoying my second listen more than my first.....always a good sign.

Edited by Todem

Funny but "The Enemy Inside" might be my favorite on the whole thing. It's perfect right after the opener.

Some SOME of the other songs seem to have a lot of excess fret wankery on them that don't really do much for the songs. I know DT goes nuts a lot, and it sounds good (see every song not named The Silent Man maybe haha), but this time it seems to hurt the songs a bit.

I'm trying like hell to get Illumination Theory to grow on me. Maybe it's the big string section in the middle- it sounds good but I think it's too long. It's kind of like how the whole beginning keyboard part of Octavarium seems to go on for too long on an otherwise awesome song.

And Through the Looking Glass is totally about Portnoy. I thought Myung wrote the lyrics but it was JP all the way. I'll bet it won't be long before Portnoy has something to say about that one!

Edited by Del_Duio

Nothing has topped Bridges in the Sky nor Breaking All Illusions yet.

Nothing.

But overall.....it's a solid effort. And I agree with the post above.....excess fret wankery hurts a lot of the songs more than help.

DT has become extremly predictable with their solo's and jams. So.....it has become extremly formulatic. But.....that's ok....it is why I listen to them.....they are sick players.

So....I see so much about Images and Words, and Awake......and yeah...they are really good records....but for me:

1) Scenes From a Memory Part 2 - untouchable for me and the album that started it all for me personally

2) Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence - brilliance

3) Train of Thought - the toughest, bad ass DT album ever made. Every song screams and As I Am,This Dying Soul, Endless Sacrifice and In the Name of God (my favorite EPIC from DT...on Live from Budokan....OMG man).

4) Octavarium - To me there most accesible album with songs like The Answer Lies Within, These Walls, Walk Beside You and the Epic Octavarium....and I love the dreamy Gilmoresque intro in all it's glory. Sacrificed Sons is an unreal song as well. Underrated album by their hardcore fans...and unfairly blasted....I don't get it.

5) Black Clouds and Silver Linings - The Count of Tuscany......that is all (actually no..Nightmare to Remember and The Best of Times were great). And the new covers were sizzling.

6) A Dramatic Turn of Events - Top to Bottom....the most mature record they have written to date. I love it.

7) A Change of Seasons - The Epic.....is just that....but the bonus covers disc is also....classic!

The old stuff.....sounds far better on Live at Budokan (which overall is my absolute favorite collection of DT songs live or studio) and Scenes live at Radio City Music Hall. I am not so fond of the way the older albums have aged sonically.....at all.

I really like the band......and understand the love for Awake and Images & Words.....but the studio versions of many of those songs....do them no justice now. Sonically....too dated for me for some reason. Can't get past it. So I get my fill of the old stuff on the live albums.....they sound amazing in that setting.

Edited by Todem

Surrender to Reason......oh yeah......oh yeah.

In fairness to Portnoy, when I met him after their Minneapolis show in 2006, he was a really cool, really down to earth guy that was great to the fans. He's also a hell of a talent behind the drums, maybe the best technical drummer around today.

But that having been said, I get the impression that the guy's just got a lot of demons that are toxic to himself and the people around him. He seems too obsessed with creative control, and unwilling to work as part of a group. His personal ambition reaches beyond his professional capabilities, and I think he's been slapped hard in the face with that lesson. Sadly, I still don't know if he's come to understand that yet.

That having been said, his new group 'Flying Colors' is a killer project, it's just too bad he's burned so many bridges, and gone through so much bullshit to achieve it.

Does anyone get the impression that the lyrics to "The Looking Glass" are about Mike Portnoy?

Absolutely. They sound like a proper band instead of a vaudeville act now that cock has gone.

Ok sorry.

They sound like a proper band instead of a vaudeville act now that Mr Cock has gone.

No, seriously, the guy was in the band for more than 20 years and together they made some great, great music, and at least for that he has all my respect.

He achieved more than you ever will in your life, and you should think about that before simply calling him a "cock".

Edited by Akron162

Ok sorry.

No, seriously, the guy was in the band for more than 20 years and together they made some great, great music, and at least for that he has all my respect.

He achieved more than you ever will in your life, and you should think about that before simply calling him a "cock".

He's achieved more than I will ever do in my life? Are you actually serious?

Stupid fanboy.

Nah , i don't think so

JP wrote them and he along with Jordan are still friends with him

Plus, Your 15 min is up ?

Hate Portnoy all you want but he is still a famous guy

It can really be about anyone they have met but i don't think it's about Portnoy

I like it so far, i think the ballad sucks

Producton is good but i don't hear anything as good as Outcry or Lost Not Forgotten

Ok sorry.

Stupid fanboy.

Come on dude, why the cheap insults? Im a fanboy just because i respect him as a drummer?

And why do you think im kidding? Are you leading the most important prog metal band in the world in the last couple of decades? No? Then i guess he actually has achieved more than you.

Ok sorry.

Stupid fanboy.

Come on dude, why the cheap insults? Im a fanboy just because i respect him as a drummer?

And why do you think im kidding? Are you leading the most important prog metal band in the world in the last couple of decades? No? Then i guess he actually has achieved more than you.

Shut up you f***ing idiot.

Ok......3 listens.

It is a decent album. But it is not in the same league songwriting wise as their last album ADTOE. It is just not. Melody and hooks escape a lot of the songs.

Cleary the best track for me is The Looking Glass. That is a great song, with direction, melody and theme.

The Enemy Inside is also a sizzler.

The Bigger Picture is another very solid song with a definitive artistic direction.

Enigma Machine is a really killer romp.

Surrender to Reason is also a very cool tune.

All this rah rah about Illumination Theory....and I am not getting the praise. It is far from their best epic/prog song......just far from it. While it has some really cool moments...there is nothing about it that screams EPIC....the string interlude....ok....yeah cool...but that does not make this song EPIC for me at all. I feel it has no direction...nor theme or mood. It is ok. And quite frankly.....a let-down when compared to the amazing Octavarium, the delicious feast in The Count of Tuscany, and the intense In The Name of God.....and compared to A Change of Seasons? No way...not even close.

So the Epic is a tune that.....I can live without. Where as I had to hear Count of Tuscany...I had to hear Bridges in The Sky, I had to hear Breaking All Illusions live. Had to. I don't have to hear Illumination Theory live.....and I truly hope they play other...better longer tunes.....but I know they will roll this out as it is new. And maybe live it will hit me better. But after three full listens....this tune is ok.

So overall like usual....the musicianship is never a question....they are such stellar players. I really like Myung's bass sound being more front and center...there are some great chops and grooves he and Mike are pulling off that can now be heard.

The songwriting however.....is hit or miss for me. Reminds me of the feelings I have for Systematic Chaos....really unbalanced. Some great tunes and some real stinkers. But I find this album much better than that effort.

Sonically.....that snare sound....it really is sub par for my tastes...I am kinda surprised the band was happy with that approach. It sounds....almost V-Drum like. It's not crisp at all. I am not feeling that and it is a big thing in the grand scheme of an album. Mikes playing is amazing....his drum sounds....hit or miss IMO. Although he was pulled back in the mix more on ADTOE...it sounded crisp.

On DT.....the snare is a downer.

I don't know where this album will end up ranking for me.....but it certainly has a long way to climb to be considered one of their very best works. The songwriting itself overall......lacking this time out. Lack of hooks, lack of sing along chorus's, lack of true theme and direction on a consistent basis. Where as ADTOE to me flowed, had so many great memorable riffs, hooks and moods and dynamics.

6.5/10

Edited by Todem

It's Petrucci himself who says the track is a "tip of the hat" to Rush.

The Looking Glass

“The song is definitely a tip of the hat to Rush. We’re such fans – they’ve been a huge influence on us, and we continue to admire and look up to them. One of the great things about them is how they write really uplifting songs with positive messages, but they always sound cool.

“It’s really interesting. The Spirit Of Radio, Limelight – those are big, big songs with big arena-rock riffs in a major key. Even Free Will has that. The songs aren’t dark, but they’re tough. It’s really hard to write something that can cut both ways like that, but that was my goal.

“The Looking Glass has a few different stylistic changes: There’s the Rush arena-rock major riff, but the verses are tricky as far as time signatures, and the style is a little darker. The pre-choruses are very pretty and flowing – they're in half-time – and the choruses open up and get really hooky. From verse to pre-chorus to chorus to riff, you’ve got a lot of musical styles, and that helps to keep things interesting.”

http://m.musicradar....ck-583850/#next

Yup, that's what I was certainly getting on first listen. Thanks for posting that Tony...one of the most tasteful homages to Rush I've ever heard.

• Like 1

By the way, 2014 is the 20th anniversary of Awake. Maybe they´ll play more songs from it on the next tour, or even a special show where the album is played in full - with the possible inclusion of Space-Dye Vest? :drool: :drool:
  • Like 1

Ok sorry.

Stupid fanboy.

Shut up you f***ing idiot.

http://youpix.com.br/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/rock_passion.gif

http://i385.photobucket.com/albums/oo296/EmO_TEnTAi/Dream%20Theater%20GIF/mikeportnoy.gif

Listening to the first verse of The Enemy Inside: "wow, since when has Dave Mustaine joined Dream Theater?"

That doesn't sound anything like Mustaine. Go back and listen to This Dying Soul if you want to hear their nod to Mustaine's vocal style. I'm mainly talking about the "tormenting ghosts of yesterday" part of the song.

If you're talking about the music, I do get a Megadeth vibe from that.

Edited by J2112YYZ

I really get a Mustaine vibe on the first verses:

"Over and over again

I relive the moment

I´m bearing a burden within

Open wounds hidden under my skin

The pain is real

As a cut that bleeds

The face I see

Every time I try to sleep

Staring at me crying"

Not the screechy Mustaine of old, more like his grinning on Megadeth´s most recent albums.

This is a great DT album. No doubt about it! I do agree with Todem that the snare could have sounded much crisper. Regardless, we now have another eight great DT tracks along with another huge 22 minute Epic about the struggle of Life. :codger:

My opinion of the record flew up after repeated listens.

Great record and it rewards repeated listens...no doubt.

But a couple of things I still stand by.

1) Illumination Theory is the weakest track (I don't count the intro overture to start the CD) and although I like it....it is not nearly one of their best long track (I consider 10 plus minutes a long track)

2) The snare......god man.....what happened with that?

8/10

Edited by Todem